PDA

View Full Version : DNA.Land Closing/ReLaunching

Táltos
09-16-2019, 05:52 AM
From their Facebook page, posted about an hour ago.

Important Announcement

DNA.Land started almost four years ago as a small academic research project and has grown to over 150,000 members. During the course of the study, DNA.Land served participants from all over the world, published an academic paper, and created unique data assets to fight breast cancer.

As you may know, DNA.Land was created and run by geneticists from Columbia University and the New York Genome Center. However, as of September 30, 2019, DNA.Land will no longer be part of or operated by researchers from Columbia University and the New York Genome Center and will no longer be under the oversight of BRANY IRB. DNA.Land is closing as an academic research project.

It will be re-launched as an independent website, unaffiliated with Columbia University and the New York Genome Center. For more information about the relaunch see: https://medium.com/p/34f5a505504f

When you signed up to participate in DNA.Land, the DNA.Land team pledged to not share your personal identifiers, contact information, individual-level survey, or individual level genetic information with third parties without your explicit permission. Because the research study is closing and the re-launched DNA.Land website will not be affiliated with Columbia University or the New York Genome Center, your existing data will not be shared with the new site. Thus, your account and data will be deleted and will no longer be accessible as of September 29, 2019.

We would like to thank you again for being part of the academic research study. FAQs regarding this transition are available in the link below. If you have other questions or concerns, please contact us: [email protected]
Thanks,
Dina, Gordy, and Yaniv

https://dna.land/faq#relaunch

Táltos
09-16-2019, 05:55 AM
Posted comment from them.

To emphesize, you can reload your data again on Oct 1st to re-create your report. It is the strict rules of human subject research that create a barrier for migrating the data to the new site.

C J Wyatt III
09-16-2019, 05:59 AM
Good. It is not getting my data the second time around.

martinmkp
09-16-2019, 06:37 AM
Does anyone know who will be the new owner? Why the Columbia University did stop to support the project? What the new owner will mean fro the credibility of the site?

Donwulff
09-16-2019, 06:43 AM
Wow, a lot of changes in the DNA landscape.

Ever since Yaniv Erlich joined MyHeritage in 2017, DNA.Land's been dead with no updates or news, so it closing down is no surprise. However, relaunching as commercial service ran by MyHeritage's chief scientific officer? Will we next hear that MyHeritage has acquired DNA.Land, too, or will there be announcement he's leaving MyHeritage? I'm not sure it makes much sense just now either way...

Slightly dismayed https://dna.land/faq and others read a lot like "We really, really wanted to just copy all your DNA data to our new commercial company but we can't because of the ¤%¤%& ethics board". How about "We aren't copying your research data to commercial outfit because it would be illegal, immoral and an immense breach of the trust you've put on us"? I know that reads poorly too...

MacUalraig
09-16-2019, 07:36 AM
Wow, a lot of changes in the DNA landscape.

Ever since Yaniv Erlich joined MyHeritage in 2017, DNA.Land's been dead with no updates or news, so it closing down is no surprise. However, relaunching as commercial service ran by MyHeritage's chief scientific officer? Will we next hear that MyHeritage has acquired DNA.Land, too, or will there be announcement he's leaving MyHeritage? I'm not sure it makes much sense just now either way...

Slightly dismayed https://dna.land/faq and others read a lot like "We really, really wanted to just copy all your DNA data to our new commercial company but we can't because of the ¤%¤%& ethics board". How about "We aren't copying your research data to commercial outfit because it would be illegal, immoral and an immense breach of the trust you've put on us"? I know that reads poorly too...

Nothing would surprise me with Erlich. When he joined MyHeritage I emailed him about what guarantees we had then that data wouldn't be shared and he didn't reply.

shazou
09-16-2019, 02:34 PM
Will there be an all new updated admix calculator i wonder??

daragon39
09-17-2019, 03:46 PM
Until I know what company it is and read the privacy policy and TOS, I won't be re-uploading.

ChildofMud
09-17-2019, 04:41 PM
I'm not reloading my info into DNA.Land. I didn't like it anyway.

mildlycurly
10-01-2019, 05:19 PM
It was supposed to relaunch today, but there's nada on their site apart from "The new and improved DNA.Land will be launched soon. Come and visit us on October 1st!"

daragon39
10-01-2019, 07:34 PM
It was supposed to relaunch today, but there's nada on their site apart from "The new and improved DNA.Land will be launched soon. Come and visit us on October 1st!"

It's up now.

rober_tce
10-02-2019, 12:46 AM
I uploaded my raw data again. I obtained same results as last upload that I did some weeks ago. Results were ready in a few hours.

Marv
10-02-2019, 05:05 AM
I uploaded my raw data again. I obtained same results as last upload that I did some weeks ago. Results were ready in a few hours.

Are your results different from last time?

mildlycurly
10-02-2019, 06:43 AM
No change in my results with my Ancestry raw data. I'm yet to get my 23andme.

Not exactly "new and improved" IMO!

rober_tce
10-02-2019, 07:24 AM
Are your results different from last time?

No, results are same as last time respect "old" DNA Land, exactly same percentages.

Genetic
10-02-2019, 06:37 PM
Same results for me.