PDA

View Full Version : Did some of my ancestors mix with Conversos?

andyouare
09-29-2019, 05:22 PM
I have a few Sephardi matches of up to 20 cM (but mostly 12) that I don't know the origin of. I've recently stumbled upon a few family trees on Ancestry that I'm wondering if they might explain the link. I have some Christian roots on my paternal side that very likely originate elsewhere in the Levant (Syria/Lebanon).

This is the what the family trees show: Lebanese, Syrian and Palestinian Christians that immigrated to South America in the 19th century (I suppose fleeing the civil war or for economic reasons) and married into the local populace (El Salvador, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Argentina). One particular match's family tree has two such Lebanese Christian men marrying into different lines in the 19th century. As for the surnames, here's some of them: Guzman, Valle, Perez, Fernandez, Hinojosa, Abreu, Murillo, Ortega, Pocasangre, Magana.

Is my theory too far fetched? Are they just local Christians? What do you think?

StillWater
09-30-2019, 04:06 AM
I don't see why you'd be related to those your cousins marry in South America. However, the probability that a given 20cM segment is not IBD is extremely low, from what I understand. If you were North African, one could maybe suggest that it's due to shared Berber ancestry. But in the Levant? No, I can't see any explanation but you having a Jewish ancestor.

An important note: I'm not familiar with the intricacies of IBD detection. Of course, a given segment of 20cM is near certain to be IBD. However, since you have many segments, maybe the probability that at least one shared segment at ~20cM can be IBS isn't microscopically low. Or better yet, that such a segment exists among 1000 subjects may not be that low and you're that subject. Hopefully, others can comment on this.

andyouare
09-30-2019, 05:29 AM
I don't see why you'd be related to those your cousins marry in South America. However, the probability that a given 20cM segment is not IBD is extremely low, from what I understand. If you were North African, one could maybe suggest that it's due to shared Berber ancestry. But in the Levant? No, I can't see any explanation but you having a Jewish ancestor.

An important note: I'm not familiar with the intricacies of IBD detection. Of course, a given segment of 20cM is near certain to be IBD. However, since you have many segments, maybe the probability that at least one shared segment at ~20cM can be IBS isn't microscopically low. Or better yet, that such a segment exists among 1000 subject may not be that low and you're that subject. Hopefully, others can comment on this.

I also have to mention that 20 cM is just the total length of the segments for a match. I don't have a match with a single segment that long. I do have a few with 12 cM segments though. Does the consistency at which I keep getting these matches over the past year since I initially got tested, across different dna sites and the chromosomes I match them on (triangulated segments) lower the chance of it not being IBD?

As to why I should be related to those they marry in South America: I was more referring to their offspring. If an ancestor born decades ago moved to South America, wouldn't it be plausible for them to pass a segment down to their offspring that I also got from that ancestor's parents/grandparents?

edit: perhaps worth mentioning, the matches with single segments that are 12 cM+ are not 100% Sephardic on MyHeritage. They either have some Ashkenazi or, in the case of one particular match, a mix of Sephardic and Yemenite Jewish (but we still have a common triangulated sephardi match with no yemenite jewish)

Agamemnon
09-30-2019, 09:57 AM
What's the longest segment's length?

mildlycurly
09-30-2019, 10:10 AM
Palestinians and Jews share some relatively recent (~1000 years) ancestry, which could explain it, but more likely than not given the size of the matching segment it's a common Lebanese Christian ancestor.

rober_tce
09-30-2019, 10:23 AM
Probably these matches are real. If you share ~10 cM with your matches, is a good signal. Even sometimes, matches with 8 cM also are real. The most important thing is you can triangulate these matches with you and between them for verifying this.

In South America and Spain, there are some individuals that descends of converted of XIV and XV century. Is possible that your direct libanese/syrian ancestors mixed with local individuals with converted ancestry. Also, if your matches have spanish names, I think it's signal of shared jewish segment, and don't coming to recent genetic levantine.

All your matches are in same chromosome position?

StillWater
09-30-2019, 10:48 AM
I also have to mention that 20 cM is just the total length of the segments for a match. I don't have a match with a single segment that long. I do have a few with 12 cM segments though. Does the consistency at which I keep getting these matches over the past year since I initially got tested, across different dna sites and the chromosomes I match them on (triangulated segments) lower the chance of it not being IBD?

As to why I should be related to those they marry in South America: I was more referring to their offspring. If an ancestor born decades ago moved to South America, wouldn't it be plausible for them to pass a segment down to their offspring that I also got from that ancestor's parents/grandparents?

edit: perhaps worth mentioning, the matches with single segments that are 12 cM+ are not 100% Sephardic on MyHeritage. They either have some Ashkenazi or, in the case of one particular match, a mix of Sephardic and Yemenite Jewish (but we still have a common triangulated sephardi match with no yemenite jewish)

Yes, triangulation certainly increases the chance of it being IBD. As it sounds, it's pretty much a certainty, I'm just not an expert on this and hence would like others to weigh in.

I still don't understand why you're bringing up the South American relatives. Sure, if you match a segment with them, it's probably from a common ancestor. However, since they're half Levantine, then that chances are it's not a Sephardic segment you share with them.

As for your Jewish matches, don't pay too much attention to MyHeritage's ethnicity assignment. I'm Ashkenazi and I only get 89% Ashkenazi on it. I've yet to see a 100% Sephardic result on MyHeritage, even though many of its customers are fully Sephardic.
The only thing worth checking is if they're Jewish. A lot of people can get a heavy amount of Jewish ancestry assigned to them on MyHeritage even though they have no recent Jewish ancestry. This is particularly true for those in the Levant and close to it. Their name + country should be enough to figure that out.

StillWater
09-30-2019, 10:50 AM
Palestinians and Jews share some relatively recent (~1000 years) ancestry, which could explain it, but more likely than not given the size of the matching segment it's a common Lebanese Christian ancestor.

Wouldn't make sense with his fully Jewish matches.

rober_tce
09-30-2019, 11:04 AM
As for your Jewish matches, don't pay too much attention to MyHeritage's ethnicity assignment. I'm Ashkenazi and I only get 89% Ashkenazi on it. I've yet to see a 100% Sephardic result on MyHeritage, even though many of its customers are fully Sephardic.
The only thing worth checking is if they're Jewish. A lot of people can get a heavy amount of Jewish ancestry assigned to them on MyHeritage even though they have no recent Jewish ancestry. This is particularly true for those in the Levant and close to it. Their name + country should be enough to figure that out.

For this reason I think "andyouare" should use GEDmatch for verifying this matter: making a list of jewish matches (total jews if is possible), and triangulate all of them. Now triangulation option cost 10$ per month (tier 1), but this tool is better than My Heritage tools. Painting chromosome tool is also a good option complementary to triangulation.

passenger
09-30-2019, 03:05 PM
I still don't understand why you're bringing up the South American relatives. Sure, if you match a segment with them, it's probably from a common ancestor. However, since they're half Levantine, then that chances are it's not a Sephardic segment you share with them. .

Right. I don't see the connection here either. Is it that these Latin American matches also triangulate with Sephardic matches from other regions? If so, then that's quite common and logical, and might confirm your Sephardic ancestry. But if your only Latin American matches are people who seem to have recent Levantine ancestors, that doesn't seem particularly relevant, even if part of their own ancestry is Sephardic for other reasons. Both things could be true - that you have partial Sephardic ancestry and that you have DNA cousins in Latin America - but it doesn't necessarily mean one thing correlates with the other.

andyouare
09-30-2019, 05:23 PM
What's the longest segment's length?

On MyHeritage: 12 cM. But I just checked Gedmatch and I have a new match with a 24.2 cM segment on the same chromosome as the triangulated jewish matches but on a different part of it (not same section), the match scores 18% on the Jtest but has a crazy high distance of 17. Though our common matches also score similarly or higher on the Jtest. Let me know if you wanna see their results. They have an Arabic first name that would be common where I’m from and elsewhere in Arabic countries.

Probably these matches are real. If you share ~10 cM with your matches, is a good signal. Even sometimes, matches with 8 cM also are real. The most important thing is you can triangulate these matches with you and between them for verifying this.
In South America and Spain, there are some individuals that descends of converted of XIV and XV century. Is possible that your direct libanese/syrian ancestors mixed with local individuals with converted ancestry. Also, if your matches have spanish names, I think it's signal of shared jewish segment, and don't coming to recent genetic levantine.

All your matches are in same chromosome position?
Regarding surnames/origin, they're:

Spanish such as Perez,
Tunisian/Moroccan/Libyan Jewish surnames in Hebrew living in Israel
Yemenite Jewish surnames

Surnames of unclear Jewish ancestry:

Arabic Muslim or Christian surname, residing in Qatar, 10,9 cM segment, 9,1% Ashkenazi, 1,7% Iberian, 1% central and south America, 23.3% Middle East
Arabic Muslim or Christian surname, 17,4 cM segment, 14,2% Yemenite Jewish, 7,3% Ashkenazi, 24,8% Middle East
Spanish surnames from Spain/Mexico/Brazil/etc.. that score iberian/south american/native american and zero in the Jewish categories, triangulated segment on a different chromosome than Jewish matches, match with Moroccan (north African 80%+, Iberian, muslim) as well. No common Jewish matches. Interesting to note: some of them have the same surnames as other Jewish matches, meaning that I match both the Sephardic and gentile bearers of the same surnames.
One sole odd match that’s 11,8% Ethiopian Jewish, 8,9% Massai- People (East Africa), 10% Nigerian, 15,9% North African, 28,9% middle eastern

Regarding the chromosome positions, this is where it gets a little confusing to me because it depends on which kit I’m looking at and I’m not sure if the following speaks for or against a higher ibd probability:

In general, the Jewish matches match me on different chromosomes.
I have two different triangulated segments on two different chromosomes with different matches on each. Ancestry kit has some matches that I don’t get on my MH kit and vice versa. Only Ancestry kit has matches from both triangulated segments, but there are still matches that are triangulated on both kits.

Yes, triangulation certainly increases the chance of it being IBD. As it sounds, it's pretty much a certainty, I'm just not an expert on this and hence would like others to weigh in.

I still don't understand why you're bringing up the South American relatives. Sure, if you match a segment with them, it's probably from a common ancestor. However, since they're half Levantine, then that chances are it's not a Sephardic segment you share with them.

Well, yes, that’s what I was saying in the OP. I was suggesting that I have Sephardic matches because we share a segment with Christian ancestors of mine.

I have one match that’s 100% Sephardic @ 19.5 cM, though that’s divided over 3 segments and the match only shows up on my Ancestry kit.

Regarding name/country see the quote before this.

For this reason I think "andyouare" should use GEDmatch for verifying this matter: making a list of jewish matches (total jews if is possible), and triangulate all of them. Now triangulation option cost 10$ per month (tier 1), but this tool is better than My Heritage tools. Painting chromosome tool is also a good option complementary to triangulation.
I’ve done this already and found a few Sephardic (based off calculators) matches on the same chromosome segment as the one on MyHeritage. Some things to note though:

Here too some matches only appear on one kit. Not sure if this speaks for an invalid match or is to be expected with distant ancestry that doesn’t have that strong a signal.
I don’t have THAT many Jewish matches. I obviously didn’t go through 3000+ matches but I went through a good bunch and I came across maybe 30 Ashkenazi (which I based solely on Jtest) and about 8 Sephardi. But then again, to be fair, I don’t really have that many Arabic Muslim matches either. By far most of my matches are in the minus 10 cM range and have either anglo-saxon surnames and results (probably an ancient relation through my mtdna) or Spanish. They probably get tested more. edit: after examining the new match I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I can add around 10 more or so to that list based on our common matches
I don't score any Sephardic myself

Right. I don't see the connection here either. Is it that these Latin American matches also triangulate with Sephardic matches from other regions? If so, then that's quite common and logical, and might confirm your Sephardic ancestry. But if your only Latin American matches are people who seem to have recent Levantine ancestors, that doesn't seem particularly relevant, even if part of their own ancestry is Sephardic for other reasons. Both things could be true - that you have partial Sephardic ancestry and that you have DNA cousins in Latin America - but it doesn't necessarily mean one thing correlates with the other.

Yes, true. I’m aware that. I wasn’t implying that that would be the only possible explanation or that only one scenario could be true at the same time. I was simply asking a partial question. As I've mentioned above I have Jewish matches with the same surname as non-Jewish matches (or their Jewish ancestry is too far for them to score any Jewish)

rober_tce
09-30-2019, 11:51 PM
On MyHeritage: 12 cM. But I just checked Gedmatch and I have a new match with a 24.2 cM segment on the same chromosome as the triangulated jewish matches but on a different part of it (not same section), the match scores 18% on the Jtest but has a crazy high distance of 17. Though our common matches also score similarly or higher on the Jtest. Let me know if you wanna see their results. They have an Arabic first name that would be common where I’m from and elsewhere in Arabic countries.

Spanish such as Perez,
Yemenite Jewish surnames

Arabic Muslim or Christian surname, residing in Qatar, 10,9 cM segment, 9,1% Ashkenazi, 1,7% Iberian, 1% central and south America, 23.3% Middle East
Arabic Muslim or Christian surname, 17,4 cM segment, 14,2% Yemenite Jewish, 7,3% Ashkenazi, 24,8% Middle East
Spanish surnames from Spain/Mexico/Brazil/etc.. that score iberian/south american/native american and zero in the Jewish categories, triangulated segment on a different chromosome than Jewish matches, match with Moroccan (north African 80%+, Iberian, muslim) as well. No common Jewish matches. Interesting to note: some of them have the same surnames as other Jewish matches, meaning that I match both the Sephardic and gentile bearers of the same surnames.
One sole odd match that’s 11,8% Ethiopian Jewish, 8,9% Massai- People (East Africa), 10% Nigerian, 15,9% North African, 28,9% middle eastern

Regarding the chromosome positions, this is where it gets a little confusing to me because it depends on which kit I’m looking at and I’m not sure if the following speaks for or against a higher ibd probability:

I have two different triangulated segments on two different chromosomes with different matches on each. Ancestry kit has some matches that I don’t get on my MH kit and vice versa. Only Ancestry kit has matches from both triangulated segments, but there are still matches that are triangulated on both kits.

Well, yes, that’s what I was saying in the OP. I was suggesting that I have Sephardic matches because we share a segment with Christian ancestors of mine.

I have one match that’s 100% Sephardic @ 19.5 cM, though that’s divided over 3 segments and the match only shows up on my Ancestry kit.

I’ve done this already and found a few Sephardic (based off calculators) matches on the same chromosome segment as the one on MyHeritage. Some things to note though:

Here too some matches only appear on one kit. Not sure if this speaks for an invalid match or is to be expected with distant ancestry that doesn’t have that strong a signal.
I don’t have THAT many Jewish matches. I obviously didn’t go through 3000+ matches but I went through a good bunch and I came across maybe 30 Ashkenazi (which I based solely on Jtest) and about 8 Sephardi. But then again, to be fair, I don’t really have that many Arabic Muslim matches either. By far most of my matches are in the minus 10 cM range and have either anglo-saxon surnames and results (probably an ancient relation through my mtdna) or Spanish. They probably get tested more. edit: after examining the new match I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I can add around 10 more or so to that list based on our common matches

Yes, true. I’m aware that. I wasn’t implying that that would be the only possible explanation or that only one scenario could be true at the same time. I was simply asking a partial question. As I've mentioned above I have Jewish matches with the same surname as non-Jewish matches (or their Jewish ancestry is too far for them to score any Jewish)

Normally, jewish matches triangulate in same chromosome position. If triangulation in a determinate segment has succes, is a good signal. In your case, because you have levantine genetic, maybe it's more complicated verifying if this markers belong to jews or levantines ancestors. If you compare your shared DNA segments with latins and jews, and all of them triangulate between them and yourself in same segment, in my opinion it can indicate a possible jew ancestor, but if triangulation is only between latins-yourself, or latins-jews, the connection would be simply levantine.

Other thing, not less important if you use GEDmatch (althought you already know this)... there are kits which give weird results when you compare DNA segments: Kits with two letters and seven numbers, for example FG0000000... for verifying this, using segments comparison you can see for example that you share with the other kit 9 cM and 500 SNPs, that would be a fake match. For a match can be real, it must have minimun 600-700 SNPs, and if these have more than 1000 SNPs much better. So, you should take kits with traditional number, as K000000.

StillWater
10-01-2019, 12:39 AM
On MyHeritage: 12 cM. But I just checked Gedmatch and I have a new match with a 24.2 cM segment on the same chromosome as the triangulated jewish matches but on a different part of it (not same section), the match scores 18% on the Jtest but has a crazy high distance of 17. Though our common matches also score similarly or higher on the Jtest. Let me know if you wanna see their results. They have an Arabic first name that would be common where Iím from and elsewhere in Arabic countries.

Spanish such as Perez,
Yemenite Jewish surnames

One sole odd match thatís 11,8% Ethiopian Jewish, 8,9% Massai- People (East Africa), 10% Nigerian, 15,9% North African, 28,9% middle eastern

Regarding the chromosome positions, this is where it gets a little confusing to me because it depends on which kit Iím looking at and Iím not sure if the following speaks for or against a higher ibd probability:

I have two different triangulated segments on two different chromosomes with different matches on each. Ancestry kit has some matches that I donít get on my MH kit and vice versa. Only Ancestry kit has matches from both triangulated segments, but there are still matches that are triangulated on both kits.

Well, yes, thatís what I was saying in the OP. I was suggesting that I have Sephardic matches because we share a segment with Christian ancestors of mine.

I have one match thatís 100% Sephardic @ 19.5 cM, though thatís divided over 3 segments and the match only shows up on my Ancestry kit.

Iíve done this already and found a few Sephardic (based off calculators) matches on the same chromosome segment as the one on MyHeritage. Some things to note though:

Here too some matches only appear on one kit. Not sure if this speaks for an invalid match or is to be expected with distant ancestry that doesnít have that strong a signal.
I donít have THAT many Jewish matches. I obviously didnít go through 3000+ matches but I went through a good bunch and I came across maybe 30 Ashkenazi (which I based solely on Jtest) and about 8 Sephardi. But then again, to be fair, I donít really have that many Arabic Muslim matches either. By far most of my matches are in the minus 10 cM range and have either anglo-saxon surnames and results (probably an ancient relation through my mtdna) or Spanish. They probably get tested more. edit: after examining the new match I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I can add around 10 more or so to that list based on our common matches

Yes, true. Iím aware that. I wasnít implying that that would be the only possible explanation or that only one scenario could be true at the same time. I was simply asking a partial question. As I've mentioned above I have Jewish matches with the same surname as non-Jewish matches (or their Jewish ancestry is too far for them to score any Jewish)

Let's start with those who are clearly Jewish. That is, you know that they live in Israel and they have clearly Jewish names. What's the largest segment you share with such a person?
As for autosomal calculators, the only ones who can be identified with good confidence are Ashkenazim. What's the largest segment you share with someone who scores 25+% Ashkenazi on the JTEst?

andyouare
10-01-2019, 02:49 AM
Normally, jewish matches triangulate in same chromosome position. If triangulation in a determinate segment has succes, is a good signal. In your case, because you have levantine genetic, maybe it's more complicated verifying if this markers belong to jews or levantines ancestors. If you compare your shared DNA segments with latins and jews, and all of them triangulate between them and yourself in same segment, in my opinion it can indicate a possible jew ancestor, but if triangulation is only between latins-yourself, or latins-jews, the connection would be simply levantine.

Other thing, not less important if you use GEDmatch (althought you already know this)... there are kits which give weird results when you compare DNA segments: Kits with two letters and seven numbers, for example FG0000000... for verifying this, using segments comparison you can see for example that you share with the other kit 9 cM and 500 SNPs, that would be a fake match. For a match can be real, it must have minimun 600-700 SNPs, and if these have more than 1000 SNPs much better. So, you should take kits with traditional number, as K000000.

I do triangulate between latins, jews and myself in the same segment, but I also triangulate separately with latins alone and jews alone (so me-latin-jewish, me-latin, me-jewish). It is weird though that I would for example triangulate with Jewish matches A, B and C, but at the same time between A, B, and D without C.
Yes, this kit does indeed have 2 letters but I've never heard of that having any special meaning. One-to-one comparison shows 1400 SNPs at 24.2 cM, is that what you meant by segment comparison?

Let's start with those who are clearly Jewish. That is, you know that they live in Israel and they have clearly Jewish names. What's the largest segment you share with such a person?
As for autosomal calculators, the only ones who can be identified with good confidence are Ashkenazim. What's the largest segment you share with someone who scores 25+% Ashkenazi on the JTEst?

While this 24.2 cM match does not score 25% but 18%, I am by now pretty sure they're Jewish: I've found them on Facebook and they live in Israel. Many other people with that name also live in Israel and have typical Jewish given names you'd find in Israel. Furthermore, that match's matches list is full of *steins and *bergs that score 25%+ with me as around the 10th closest match on gedmatch. I havent recognized any Arabic names in their first 100 or so matches. I think that match is Jewish but not necessarily Ashkenazi.

Nevertheless, to answer your questions - the largest segment I share with:
-25+ Ashkenazi on Gedmatch: 11.8 cM, 32.23 Ashkenazi
-Hebrew name and lives in Israel (MyHeritage): 9 cM
-Hebrew name but no current location given: 12,1 cM

rober_tce
10-01-2019, 08:29 AM
I do triangulate between latins, jews and myself in the same segment, but I also triangulate separately with latins alone and jews alone (so me-latin-jewish, me-latin, me-jewish). It is weird though that I would for example triangulate with Jewish matches A, B and C, but at the same time between A, B, and D without C.
Yes, this kit does indeed have 2 letters but I've never heard of that having any special meaning. One-to-one comparison shows 1400 SNPs at 24.2 cM, is that what you meant by segment comparison?

While this 24.2 cM match does not score 25% but 18%, I am by now pretty sure they're Jewish: I've found them on Facebook and they live in Israel. Many other people with that name also live in Israel and have typical Jewish given names you'd find in Israel. Furthermore, that match's matches list is full of *steins and *bergs that score 25%+ with me as around the 10th closest match on gedmatch. I havent recognized any Arabic names in their first 100 or so matches. I think that match is Jewish but not necessarily Ashkenazi.

Yes, in autosomal comparison tool. In fact, your match with 24.2 cM have only 1400 SNPs shared. Kevin Brook told me about this, he analyzed my jewish matches and said me that kit with new format give weird results in autosomal comparison. For example one of my Ashkenazi matches with traditional format, have 2400 SNPs shared with me in 10 cM, but other jewish kit with new format and 14 cM, only shared with me 300 SNPs.

Try verifying this matter and compare traditional kits with newer kits (two letters and seven numbers).

Read also this link of Kevin Brook web: http://www.khazaria.com/genetics/excess-ibd-regions.html

StillWater
10-01-2019, 08:31 AM

It's worth checking with that 24.2cM match if they're fully Jewish. Israel allows mixed Jews to move as well, and for all you know - his dad was born in the USA to a Lebanese and a Jewish parent. Such people exist.

The 11.8cM match with the Ashkenazi is interesting. 11.8cM isn't likely to be shared pre-Jewish Levantine ancestry. I share smaller segments with non-Jewish Levantines.

andyouare
10-01-2019, 03:53 PM
It's worth checking with that 24.2cM match if they're fully Jewish. Israel allows mixed Jews to move as well, and for all you know - his dad was born in the USA to a Lebanese and a Jewish parent. Such people exist.

The 11.8cM match with the Ashkenazi is interesting. 11.8cM isn't likely to be shared pre-Jewish Levantine ancestry. I share smaller segments with non-Jewish Levantines.
I might eventually contact the match after doing some more research. Iíd like to throw something else into the mix though:
Iíve recently stumbled upon a couple sources listing the family name from which I descend on my paternal line as a Syrian Jewish family in the 19th century, and another source mentioning a Jewish man in medieval Andalus with that name as well. Altogether the sources would suggest a Jewish paternal line that would have started intermarrying (if it hadnt been doing so already then just more extensively due to circumstances) in the mid to mid-late 19th century. How plausible do you think this is as an explanation to my matches given the following:

1 The information Iíve provided on them so far, including the cM range.

2 The surname is Arabic, so I initially thought it wouldnít make sense for Mizrahi ancestry to result in Sephardi matches, but given the source I discovered later I guess a Jewish family in medieval Spain would not necessarily have had a Spanish name?

3 The fact I donít score any Sephardic. Does the suggested timeline allow for a Sephardic line that intermarried more or less in different regions and resulted in some descendants who would not score any Sephardic on sites like MH and FTDNA?

Less relevant but Iím just throwing in as much information as possible:

4 my closest single population in MDLP K16 is Jew (Syria) @ 2.98 in mixed mode, Jew_Syria @ 3.110118 in 4-way Oracle, and in MDLP K23b Syrian_Jew_ @ 6.674106 and something similar in 4xOracle. But then again: 1) I recall another levantine getting ca. 4-6 @ Syrian Jew in an mdlp calc. 2) Why Syrian Jew instead of Sephardic? There are Sephardic Syrian Jews though so Iím not really sure if the Syrian Jew reference for MDLP is Mizrahi and itís just showing up as a proxy for Syrian Christian (though Lebanese Christian is lower).
5 Only other unusual closest distance single population is North_African_Jews (Dodecad) @ 7.076414 in Africa9, but that calc is weird for everyone. The distance from the closest non-Jewish population is quite high @15.1 (Jordanian) though.

In light of this, Iím curious if the 24.2 cM match has any Syrian Jewish ancestry. I'm of course aware that that could be both true and false independently of the above. The results are all over the place but maybe comparing them to this Syrian Jewish kit I found could help: M020638, Here are some results:

MDLP
MDLP K16

# Population Percent
1 Caucasian 42.62
2 Neolithic 19.02
3 NearEast 14.29
4 Steppe 6.65
5 Indian 5.52
6 NorthEastEuropean 5.31
7 NorthAfrican 2.77
8 EastAfrican 1.84
9 Ancestor 1.43

Least-squares method.

Using 1 population approximation:
1 Jew_Syria @ 5.678319
2 Lebanese_Muslim_Lebanon @ 6.195364
3 Lebanese_Christian_Lebanon @ 7.039062
4 Arab_Israel_Iqrit @ 7.596273
5 Samaritan_Israel @ 8.218116
6 Jew_Turkish_Sephardim @ 8.502117
7 Jew_Sephardim @ 8.831758
8 Jordanian_Jordanian @ 8.921645
9 Jew_Turkey @ 9.076401
10 Syrian_Syria @ 9.342317
11 Jew_Bulgaria @ 9.892811
12 Arab_Israel_Shefa_Amr @ 10.026608
13 Jew_Italian @ 10.105945
14 Assyrian_Iran @ 10.654326
15 Cypriot_Cyprus @ 10.762741
16 Jew_Algeria @ 11.143159
17 Palestinian_Israel @ 11.197016
18 Lebanese_Lebanon @ 11.339023
19 Greek_Azov @ 11.797268
20 Jew_Ashkenazim @ 11.806974

Using 2 populations approximation:
1 50% Jew_Ashkenazim +50% Syrian_Syria @ 4.386217

Using 3 populations approximation:
1 50% Jew_Iran +25% Spanish_Aragon +25% Jew_Yemen @ 2.571418

# Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
1 82.9% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 17.1% Cossack (Zaporozhie) @ 3.43
2 87.3% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 12.7% Latvian (Latvia) @ 3.49
3 76.9% Syrian (Syria) + 23.1% Italian (Bergamo) @ 3.49
4 86.2% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 13.8% Belarusian (Zhytkavichy_Homel) @ 3.5
5 85.4% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 14.6% Russian_cossack (Kuban) @ 3.5
6 85.2% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 14.8% Belarusian_West (WestBelarus) @ 3.51
7 85.1% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 14.9% Ukrainian (Ukraine) @ 3.53
8 81.8% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 18.2% Serbian (Bosnia-Herzegovina) @ 3.53
9 83.8% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 16.2% Hungarian (Budapest) @ 3.54
10 82% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 18% Bosnian (Bosnia-Herzegovina) @ 3.55
11 74.3% Syrian (Syria) + 25.7% Corsican (Corsica) @ 3.55
12 85% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 15% Ukrainians_west (WestUkraine) @ 3.55
13 85.4% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 14.6% Sorb (Lusatia) @ 3.55
14 85.9% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 14.1% Ukrainians_east (EastUkraine) @ 3.56
15 84.8% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 15.2% Slovak (Slovakia) @ 3.56
16 87.7% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 12.3% Latvian_Dobele (Dobele) @ 3.58
17 87.5% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 12.5% Estonian (Estonia) @ 3.58
18 87.1% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 12.9% Lithuanian (Lithuania) @ 3.59
19 84.5% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 15.5% Czech (Czechia) @ 3.59
20 82.2% Arab_Israel (Iqrit) + 17.8% Croat (Bosnia-Herzegovina) @ 3.59

Using 4 populations approximation:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1 Jew_Iran + Jew_Iran + Spanish_Aragon + Jew_Yemen @ 2.571418
2 Armenian_Vanatur_Hrazdan + Jew_Iran + Spanish_Cataluna + Jew_Yemen @ 2.620480
3 Jew_Iran + Jew_Iran + Spanish_Cantabria + Jew_Yemen @ 2.661658
4 Jew_Iran + Jew_Iran + Spanish_Valencia + Jew_Yemen @ 2.686219
5 Armenian_Vanatur_Hrazdan + Jew_Iran + Spanish_Andalucia + Jew_Yemen @ 2.691606
6 Jew_Iran + Jew_Iraqi + Spanish_Cataluna + Jew_Yemen @ 2.692647
7 Jew_Iran + Jew_Iran + Spanish_Cataluna + Jew_Yemen @ 2.696992
8 Druze_Mount_Carmel + Italian_Bergamo + Kurd_Syria + Jew_Yemen @ 2.699462
9 Jew_Iran + Jew_Iraqi + Spanish_Aragon + Jew_Yemen @ 2.719153
10 Armenian_Vanatur_Hrazdan + Jew_Iraqi + Spanish_Cataluna + Jew_Yemen @ 2.746019
11 Jew_Iran + Jew_Iraqi + Spanish_Valencia + Jew_Yemen @ 2.772362
12 Armenian_Vanatur_Hrazdan + Jew_Iran + Spanish_Valencia + Jew_Yemen @ 2.784757
13 Cypriot_Cyprus + Iran_Lor_Lor + Italian_Bergamo + Jew_Yemen @ 2.792319
14 Jew_Iran + Jew_Iraqi + Spanish_Cantabria + Jew_Yemen @ 2.802200
15 Corsican_Corsica + Cypriot_Cyprus + Kurd_Syria + Jew_Yemen @ 2.842868
16 Cypriot_Cyprus + Iranian_Iran + Italian_Bergamo + Jew_Yemen @ 2.843520
17 Armenian_Lebanon + Jew_Iran + Spanish_Spain + Jew_Yemen @ 2.848286
18 Armenian_Vanatur_Hrazdan + Italian_Bergamo + Jew_Kurdish + Jew_Yemen @ 2.851300
19 Armenian_Lebanon + Jew_Iran + Spanish_Cataluna + Jew_Yemen @ 2.857707
20 BedouinA_Negev + Jew_Iraqi + Jew_Iraqi + Spanish_Cataluna @ 2.882388

MDLP K23b
1 Cretan_ @ 7.993454
2 Syrian_Jew_ @ 9.216315
3 Turk_Jew_ @ 9.835994
4 Cypriot_ @ 9.872540
5 Greek_Smyrna_ @ 9.918977
6 Sephardic_Jew_ @ 10.421825
7 Greek_Islands_ @ 10.632818
8 Lebanese_Muslim_ @ 10.773540
9 Italian_Jew_ @ 10.896444
10 Turk_Balikesir_ @ 10.981103
11 Romanian_Jew_ @ 11.329764
12 Lebanese_ @ 11.347403
13 Ashkenazi_Jew_ @ 11.545375
14 French_Jew_ @ 11.637638
15 Sicilian_East_ @ 11.667820
16 Greek_Phokaia_ @ 11.886749
17 Italian_South_ @ 12.345386
18 Turk_Aydin_ @ 12.561330
19 Sicilian_Siracusa_ @ 12.603786
20 Sicilian_West_ @ 12.771729

1 52.5% Central_Greek ( ) + 47.5% Syrian ( ) @ 3.53
2 70.3% Greek_Islands ( ) + 29.7% Yemen ( ) @ 3.54
3 58.2% Greek_Phokaia ( ) + 41.8% Muslim_Arabs_Israel ( ) @ 3.59
4 58.2% Greek ( ) + 41.8% Muslim_Arabs_Israel ( ) @ 3.6
5 50.6% Syrian ( ) + 49.4% Albanian_Tirana ( ) @ 3.61
6 55.7% Ashkenazi ( ) + 44.3% Syrian ( ) @ 3.66
7 57.7% Romanian_Jew ( ) + 42.3% Syrian ( ) @ 3.67
8 53.9% Samaritian ( ) + 46.1% Romanian ( ) @ 3.68
9 53.1% Greek_Thessaloniki ( ) + 46.9% Syrian ( ) @ 3.7
10 50.9% Greek_Thessaly ( ) + 49.1% Syrian ( ) @ 3.71
11 64.3% Lebanese ( ) + 35.7% Kosovar ( ) @ 3.72
12 51% Sicilian_Center ( ) + 49% Syrian ( ) @ 3.72
13 67% Lebanese_Christian ( ) + 33% South_German ( ) @ 3.74
14 73.5% Greek_Smyrna ( ) + 26.5% Yemen ( ) @ 3.75
15 55.9% Lebanese ( ) + 44.1% Greek_Peloponnesos ( ) @ 3.76
16 68.3% Lebanese_Christian ( ) + 31.7% North_German ( ) @ 3.79
17 72% Lebanese_Christian ( ) + 28% Norwegian_East ( ) @ 3.8
18 54.4% Greek_Athens ( ) + 45.6% Muslim_Arabs_Israel ( ) @ 3.82
19 73.7% Lebanese_Christian ( ) + 26.3% Norwegian_West ( ) @ 3.82
20 70.9% Lebanese_Christian ( ) + 29.1% Irish ( ) @ 3.83

1 50% Greek_Athens_ +50% Syrian_ @ 3.860093

1 50% Cypriot_ +25% Romanian_ +25% Yemen_ @ 3.332868

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1 Cypriot_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Romanian_ + Yemen_ @ 2.922331
2 Cypriot_ + Greek_Islands_ + Romanian_ + Yemen_ @ 2.993700
3 Greek_Islands_ + Muslim_Arabs_Israel_ + Romanian_ + Samaritian_ @ 3.041221
4 Greek_Smyrna_ + Palestinian_ + Romanian_ + Samaritian_ @ 3.049273
5 BedouinA_ + Cypriot_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Romanian_ @ 3.116345
6 Greek_Macedonia_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Yemen_ @ 3.167166
7 Druze_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Kosovar_ + Yemen_ @ 3.180638
8 Cypriot_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Greek_Thessaloniki_ + Yemen_ @ 3.199323
9 BedouinA_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Lebanese_Druze_ + Romanian_ @ 3.199488
10 Greek_Islands_ + Kosovar_ + Lebanese_Druze_ + Yemen_ @ 3.212200
11 Greek_Islands_ + Greek_Macedonia_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Yemen_ @ 3.214680
12 Greek_Smyrna_ + Kosovar_ + Lebanese_Druze_ + Yemen_ @ 3.215514
13 Greek_Islands_ + Palestinian_ + Romanian_ + Samaritian_ @ 3.224784
14 Jew_Tat_ + Kosovar_ + Sicilian_Center_ + Yemen_ @ 3.246543
15 Albanian_Tirana_ + Jew_Tat_ + Sicilian_Center_ + Yemen_ @ 3.248087
16 Greek_Islands_ + Kosovar_ + Syrian_ + Syrian_ @ 3.256493
17 Cypriot_ + Greek_ + Greek_Athens_ + Yemen_ @ 3.263699
18 Greek_Islands_ + Romanian_ + Samaritian_ + Syrian_ @ 3.284570
19 Cypriot_ + Greek_ + Greek_ + Yemen_ @ 3.297073
20 Greek_Islands_ + Kosovar_ + Palestinian_ + Syrian_ @ 3.304057

MDLP World-22
# Population Percent
1 West-Asian 29.95
2 Atlantic_Mediterranean_Neolithic 28.73
3 Near_East 28.72
4 North-East-European 6.56
5 Sub-Saharian 1.75
6 Indian 1.38
7 Mesoamerican 1.26
8 South-African 1.10

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
1 Jew_Syria (derived) 3.99
2 Cypriot (derived) 6.72
3 Lebanese (derived) 7.77
4 Jew_Tunisia (derived) 8.49
5 Druze (derived) 9.35
6 Jew_Morocco (derived) 9.6
7 Jew_Libya (derived) 9.9
8 Jew_Algeria (derived) 10.21
9 Syrian (derived) 10.37
10 Jew_Italia (derived) 10.78
11 Sephardim (derived) 10.83
12 Greek_Cretan (derived) 11.01
13 Jew_Francestrale (derived) 12.04
14 Palestinian (derived) 13.45
15 Ashkenazim (derived) 13.56
16 Jew_Georgia (derived) 13.62
17 Iraqi (derived) 13.98
18 Jordanian (derived) 14
19 Turk (derived) 16.01
20 Samaritian (derived) 16.21

Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

1 65.9% Jew_Morocco (derived) + 34.1% Jew-Uzbekistan (derived) @ 1.95
2 66.4% Jew_Morocco (derived) + 33.6% Jew_Kurd (derived) @ 2.14
3 53.9% Syrian (derived) + 46.1% Jew_Francestrale (derived) @ 2.35
4 51% Syrian (derived) + 49% Jew_Italia (derived) @ 2.39
5 67.5% Jew_Morocco (derived) + 32.5% Jew_Tat (derived) @ 2.4
6 53.9% Jew_Francestrale (derived) + 46.1% Iraqi (derived) @ 2.5
7 56.7% Jew_Italia (derived) + 43.3% Iraqi (derived) @ 2.51
8 73.9% Jew_Tunisia (derived) + 26.1% Kurd (derived) @ 2.51
9 73.9% Jew_Tunisia (derived) + 26.1% Azeri (derived) @ 2.52
10 73.1% Jew_Tunisia (derived) + 26.9% Iranian (derived) @ 2.55
11 69.1% Jew_Tunisia (derived) + 30.9% Jew-Uzbekistan (derived) @ 2.6
12 61.6% Lebanese (derived) + 38.4% Jew_Francestrale (derived) @ 2.63
13 58.9% Lebanese (derived) + 41.1% Jew_Italia (derived) @ 2.65
14 61.8% Syrian (derived) + 38.2% Sicilian (derived) @ 2.69
15 65.9% Jew_Morocco (derived) + 34.1% Jew_Azerbaijan (derived) @ 2.7
16 59.7% Druze (derived) + 40.3% Ashkenazim (derived) @ 2.71
17 66.9% Jew_Morocco (derived) + 33.1% Jew-Iran (derived) @ 2.71
18 80.6% Druze (derived) + 19.4% Portugese (derived) @ 2.72
19 69% Lebanese (derived) + 31% Sicilian (derived) @ 2.77
20 85.6% Jew_Syria (derived) + 14.4% Costanoan (derived) @ 2.78

1 50% Jew_Italia_derived +50% Syrian_derived @ 2.351154

1 50% Jew_Francestrale_derived +25% Jew-Uzbekistan_derived +25% Jordanian_derived @ 2.076934

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1 Italian-South_derived + Jew_Tunisia_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.733667
2 Ashkenazim_derived + Greek_Cretan_derived + Jew_Iraqi_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.758512
3 Italian-Center_derived + Jew_Tunisia_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.784160
4 Jew_Morocco_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.784347
5 Italian-South_derived + Jew_Morocco_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.795210
6 Ashkenazim_derived + Jew-Iran_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.823629
7 Jew_Italia_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.827407
8 Ashkenazim_derived + Greek_Cretan_derived + Jew_Georgia_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.834846
9 Jew_Francestrale_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.841711
10 Italian-South_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Jew_Morocco_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.850606
11 Jew_Italia_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.859489
12 Italian-Center_derived + Jew_Libya_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.874801
13 Italian-Center_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Jew_Tunisia_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.875037
14 Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sephardim_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.880211
15 Ashkenazim_derived + Jew_Francestrale_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.896334
16 Italian-Center_derived + Jew_Algeria_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.916536
17 Jew_Tunisia_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.928862
18 Italian-South_derived + Jew_Italia_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.930911
19 Jew_Algeria_derived + Jew_Azerbaijan_derived + Jew_Romania_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.935884
20 Italian-Center_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Jew_Morocco_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.942402

MDLP World
# Population Percent
1 Middle_East 33.99
2 South_and_West_European 29.20
3 Caucaus_Parsia 26.17
4 North_and_East_European 4.38
5 Sub_Saharian 2.40
6 Indian 1.55
7 Mesoamerican 1.04

1 Jew_Syria @ 4.590972
2 Lebanese @ 8.153969
3 Druze @ 9.088723
4 Cypriot @ 9.526180
5 Jew_Tunisia @ 10.451440
6 Syrian @ 10.923148
7 Jew_Algeria @ 11.572111
8 Jew_Libya @ 12.023209
9 Sephardim @ 13.386265
10 Jew_Italia @ 13.853510
11 Jew_Georgia @ 13.911219
12 Jordanian @ 14.484616
13 Jew_France @ 15.115523
14 Greek_Cretan @ 15.247207
15 Jew_Morocco @ 15.415750
16 Iraqi @ 15.701335
17 Ashkenazim @ 15.932969
18 Palestinian @ 15.945770
19 Jew-Iraqi @ 16.953590
20 Jew_Iraqi @ 17.998844

1 70.8% Jew_Tunisia + 29.2% Iranian @ 1.73
2 50.9% Jew_France + 49.1% Iraqi @ 1.81
3 58.2% Syrian + 41.8% Jew_France @ 1.82
4 53.1% Jew_Italia + 46.9% Iraqi @ 1.84
5 65.7% Syrian + 34.3% Sicilian @ 1.86
6 68.5% Jew_Libya + 31.5% Kurd @ 1.86
7 56% Syrian + 44% Jew_Italia @ 1.91
8 68.8% Jew_Libya + 31.2% Azeri @ 2.03
9 67.2% Lebanese + 32.8% Ashkenazim @ 2.12
10 78.6% Syrian + 21.4% Corsican @ 2.17
11 59.9% Syrian + 40.1% Ashkenazim @ 2.17
12 84.7% Lebanese + 15.3% Portugese @ 2.22
13 54% Sephardim + 46% Iraqi @ 2.26
14 85.6% Lebanese + 14.4% Iberian @ 2.3
15 69% Syrian + 31% Italian-South @ 2.37
16 84.9% Syrian + 15.1% Basque @ 2.39
17 62.5% Jew_Algeria + 37.5% Jew-Uzbekistan @ 2.42
18 81.2% Syrian + 18.8% Iberian @ 2.43
19 81.7% Druze + 18.3% Puerto-Rican @ 2.45
20 69.3% Syrian + 30.7% Italian-Center @ 2.45

1 50% Iraqi +50% Jew_France @ 1.867658

1 50% Lebanese +25% Greek_Center +25% Palestinian @ 1.612067

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++
1 Jew_Iraqi + Syrian + Corsican + Palestinian @ 1.141503
2 Kurd + Ashkenazim + Jew_Morocco + Palestinian @ 1.224363
3 Ashkenazim + Italian-South + Georgian_Laz + Saudi @ 1.308060
4 Jew_Kurd + Kosovar + Palestinian + Palestinian @ 1.324044
5 Jew_Iraqi + Ashkenazim + Greek_Cretan + Palestinian @ 1.325243
6 Jew_Algeria + Samaritian + Iranian + Sicilian @ 1.327578
7 Jew-Uzbekistan + Kosovar + Palestinian + Palestinian @ 1.329647
8 Jew-Iraqi + Syrian + Corsican + Palestinian @ 1.337381
9 Jew_Kurd + Ashkenazim + Greek_Cretan + Palestinian @ 1.338035
10 Greek_Azov + Sephardim + Syrian + Palestinian @ 1.348467
11 Ashkenazim + Greek_Cretan + Jew-Iran + Palestinian @ 1.349025
12 Iranian + Jew_France + Jew_France + Palestinian @ 1.356113
13 Jew_Kurd + Greek_Center + Jew_Tunisia + Palestinian @ 1.368204
14 Jew_Kurd + Jordanian + Jew_Tunisia + Italian-Center @ 1.375842
15 Samaritian + Iranian + Ashkenazim + Jew_France @ 1.379155
16 Jew-Uzbekistan + Jew_Italia + Ashkenazim + Palestinian @ 1.381946
17 Jew_Kurd + Jordanian + Jew_Tunisia + Greek_East @ 1.389519
18 Iraqi + Ashkenazim + Greek_Cretan + Palestinian @ 1.392791
19 Jew_Romania + Jordanian + Jew_Tunisia + Jew_Azerbaijan @ 1.393246
20 Iraqi + Jew_Romania + Jew_Libya + Druze @ 1.394228

Eurogenes
K13

# Population Percent
1 East_Med 38.92
2 West_Asian 16.82
3 West_Med 14.71
4 Red_Sea 9.60
5 North_Atlantic 9.10
6 Northeast_African 2.90
7 Baltic 2.69
8 South_Asian 1.88
9 Sub-Saharan 1.53

1 Tunisian_Jewish 6.62
2 Lebanese_Muslim 7.1
3 Libyan_Jewish 7.27
4 Cyprian 7.53
5 Syrian 8.03
6 Sephardic_Jewish 8.71
7 Jordanian 9.71
8 Palestinian 9.85
9 Samaritan 10.13
10 Algerian_Jewish 10.19
11 Italian_Jewish 10.25
12 Lebanese_Druze 10.99
13 Lebanese_Christian 11.33
14 Ashkenazi 12.17
15 South_Italian 13.1
16 East_Sicilian 13.75
17 Bedouin 14.27
18 Iranian_Jewish 15.14
19 Kurdish_Jewish 15.2
20 Central_Greek 15.22

1 79.9% Tunisian_Jewish + 20.1% Iranian @ 2.42
2 57.4% Palestinian + 42.6% South_Italian @ 2.5
3 56.7% Syrian + 43.3% Italian_Jewish @ 2.71
4 71.2% Tunisian_Jewish + 28.8% Iranian_Jewish @ 2.78
5 80.3% Tunisian_Jewish + 19.7% Kurdish @ 2.82
6 57.9% Jordanian + 42.1% South_Italian @ 2.82
7 52.1% Tunisian_Jewish + 47.9% Lebanese_Muslim @ 2.85
8 76% Tunisian_Jewish + 24% Georgian_Jewish @ 2.91
9 72.6% Tunisian_Jewish + 27.4% Assyrian @ 2.94
10 60.3% Lebanese_Muslim + 39.7% Italian_Jewish @ 2.96
11 78.6% Libyan_Jewish + 21.4% Iranian @ 2.97
12 61.4% Palestinian + 38.6% Central_Greek @ 2.97
13 77.8% Tunisian_Jewish + 22.2% Azeri @ 2.98
14 69.1% Libyan_Jewish + 30.9% Iranian_Jewish @ 2.99
15 70.4% Libyan_Jewish + 29.6% Assyrian @ 3
16 50.7% Lebanese_Muslim + 49.3% Libyan_Jewish @ 3.05
17 64.8% Lebanese_Muslim + 35.2% Ashkenazi @ 3.08
18 74% Libyan_Jewish + 26% Georgian_Jewish @ 3.08
19 53.1% Sephardic_Jewish + 46.9% Jordanian @ 3.14
20 71.9% Tunisian_Jewish + 28.1% Kurdish_Jewish @ 3.15

1 50% Lebanese_Muslim +50% Tunisian_Jewish @ 3.095723

1 50% Jordanian +25% Lebanese_Druze +25% Tuscan @ 1.889453

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++
1 Ashkenazi + Iranian_Jewish + Italian_Jewish + Jordanian @ 1.570506
2 Central_Greek + Jordanian + Lebanese_Druze + Libyan_Jewish @ 1.669442
3 Iranian_Jewish + Libyan_Jewish + Palestinian + West_Sicilian @ 1.672977
4 Iranian_Jewish + Palestinian + Tunisian_Jewish + West_Sicilian @ 1.680479
5 Egyptian + Kurdish_Jewish + Lebanese_Druze + Tuscan @ 1.723415
6 East_Sicilian + Lebanese_Druze + Libyan_Jewish + Syrian @ 1.727817
7 Ashkenazi + Italian_Jewish + Jordanian + Kurdish_Jewish @ 1.730845
8 Egyptian + Iranian_Jewish + Lebanese_Druze + Tuscan @ 1.750382
9 Assyrian + Egyptian + Lebanese_Druze + Tuscan @ 1.776124
10 Central_Greek + Jordanian + Lebanese_Druze + Tunisian_Jewish @ 1.785262
11 East_Sicilian + Jordanian + Lebanese_Druze + Tunisian_Jewish @ 1.807062
12 Ashkenazi + Iranian_Jewish + Italian_Jewish + Palestinian @ 1.830514
13 Ashkenazi + Iranian_Jewish + Jordanian + Sephardic_Jewish @ 1.831397
14 Jordanian + Lebanese_Druze + Syrian + Tuscan @ 1.844615
15 Italian_Abruzzo + Jordanian + Lebanese_Druze + Libyan_Jewish @ 1.855392
16 East_Sicilian + Jordanian + Lebanese_Druze + Libyan_Jewish @ 1.877403
17 Iranian_Jewish + Jordanian + Tunisian_Jewish + West_Sicilian @ 1.878234
18 Jordanian + Jordanian + Lebanese_Druze + Tuscan @ 1.889453
19 East_Sicilian + Jordanian + Lebanese_Druze + Sephardic_Jewish @ 1.897593
20 Jordanian + Lebanese_Druze + Lebanese_Muslim + Tuscan @ 1.902052

Jtest
# Population Percent
1 EAST_MED 25.52
2 ASHKENAZI 18.59
3 MIDDLE_EASTERN 18.04
4 WEST_ASIAN 13.5
5 WEST_MED 8.28
6 ATLANTIC 5.57
7 NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 5.12
8 SOUTH_ASIAN 2.09
9 EAST_AFRICAN 1.85
10 WEST_AFRICAN 1.23
11 EAST_ASIAN 0.11
12 SOUTH_BALTIC 0.09
13 SIBERIAN 0.01

1 AJ 15.53
2 South_Italian_&_Sicilian 16.53
3 IQ 18.69
4 GR 18.7
5 Mandean 21.06
6 TR 21.58
7 Samaritan 21.74
8 Assyrian 21.98
9 Armenian 23.91
10 Kurdish 25.13
11 Tuscan 25.62
12 IR 25.64
13 Druze 26.54
14 Algerian 28.03
15 North_Italian 29.45
16 Moroccan 29.91
17 RO 30.39
18 Serbian 31.96
19 PT 33.42
20 ES 35.47

1 55.1% AJ + 44.9% IQ @ 5.11
2 59.1% AJ + 40.9% Mandean @ 7.35
3 60% AJ + 40% Samaritan @ 7.42
4 61% AJ + 39% Assyrian @ 8.53
5 76.3% AJ + 23.7% Bedouin @ 9.37
6 64.6% AJ + 35.4% Armenian @ 9.94
7 67.4% AJ + 32.6% Druze @ 9.96
8 66.4% AJ + 33.6% Kurdish @ 10.33
9 67.1% AJ + 32.9% IR @ 10.49
10 62.3% AJ + 37.7% TR @ 10.57
11 53.3% AJ + 46.7% South_Italian_&_Sicilian @ 11.67
12 72.2% AJ + 27.8% Algerian @ 12.12
13 59.8% AJ + 40.2% GR @ 12.34
14 78.7% AJ + 21.3% GE @ 12.43
15 61.7% Mandean + 38.3% Moroccan @ 12.62
16 56.9% South_Italian_&_Sicilian + 43.1% IQ @ 13.09
17 60.4% Assyrian + 39.6% Moroccan @ 13.22
18 83.3% AJ + 16.7% Brahui @ 13.27
19 88.6% AJ + 11.4% Ethiopian @ 13.36
20 83.8% AJ + 16.2% Balochi @ 13.38

1 50% AJ +50% IQ @ 6.007211

1 50% AJ +25% IQ +25% IQ @ 6.007211

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1 AJ + AJ + IQ + IQ @ 6.007211
2 AJ + AJ + Armenian + Bedouin @ 6.019032
3 AJ + AJ + Algerian + Mandean @ 6.365943
4 AJ + AJ + Bedouin + GE @ 6.443109
5 AJ + AJ + Bedouin + TR @ 6.593292
6 AJ + AJ + IQ + Samaritan @ 6.809425
7 AJ + AJ + Algerian + Assyrian @ 6.888999
8 AJ + AJ + Bedouin + Kurdish @ 6.962741
9 AJ + AJ + IQ + Mandean @ 7.029509
10 AJ + AJ + Bedouin + IR @ 7.080940
11 AJ + AJ + Assyrian + Bedouin @ 7.374114
12 AJ + AJ + Assyrian + IQ @ 7.556945
13 AJ + AJ + Algerian + Armenian @ 7.638393
14 AJ + AJ + Mandean + Moroccan @ 7.652395
15 AJ + AJ + Mandean + Samaritan @ 7.675102
16 AJ + AJ + IQ + South_Italian_&_Sicilian @ 7.733724
17 AJ + AJ + Algerian + Kurdish @ 7.780200
18 AJ + Mandean + Mandean + Moroccan @ 7.806414
19 AJ + AJ + Algerian + IQ @ 7.959671
20 AJ + AJ + Algerian + IR @ 8.050364

Eurogenes EUtest V2 K15
Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
1 East_Med 36.06
2 West_Asian 16.32
3 West_Med 11.58
4 Red_Sea 10.75
5 North_Sea 7.5
6 Atlantic 6.07
7 Northeast_African 3.25
8 Eastern_Euro 2.18
9 South_Asian 1.98
10 Baltic 1.66
11 Sub-Saharan 1.38
12 Oceanian 0.62
13 Amerindian 0.55
14 Southeast_Asian 0.09

1 Syrian 7.26
2 Libyan_Jewish 7.62
3 Lebanese_Muslim 7.75
4 Tunisian_Jewish 8.24
5 Cyprian 8.78
6 Sephardic_Jewish 9.21
7 Jordanian 9.57
8 Italian_Jewish 9.73
9 Algerian_Jewish 10.61
10 Samaritan 10.89
11 Palestinian 10.91
12 Ashkenazi 11.76
13 Lebanese_Christian 12.29
14 South_Italian 12.82
15 East_Sicilian 12.99
16 Bedouin 13.12
17 Lebanese_Druze 13.56
18 Central_Greek 14.02
19 Kurdish_Jewish 14.65
20 Iranian_Jewish 14.94

1 74.7% Libyan_Jewish + 25.3% Iranian @ 2.65
2 72.3% Libyan_Jewish + 27.7% Azeri @ 2.79
3 74.6% Libyan_Jewish + 25.4% Kurdish @ 2.91
4 60.2% Jordanian + 39.8% Central_Greek @ 3.24
5 64% Jordanian + 36% Italian_Abruzzo @ 3.4
6 69.4% Libyan_Jewish + 30.6% Turkish @ 3.44
7 58.7% Syrian + 41.3% Italian_Jewish @ 3.46
8 86.3% Syrian + 13.7% West_German @ 3.58
9 84.6% Syrian + 15.4% Portuguese @ 3.59
10 58.5% Jordanian + 41.5% East_Sicilian @ 3.6
11 84.8% Syrian + 15.2% Spanish_Galicia @ 3.61
12 72.5% Libyan_Jewish + 27.5% Georgian_Jewish @ 3.61
13 85.8% Syrian + 14.2% French @ 3.65
14 58.2% Jordanian + 41.8% South_Italian @ 3.69
15 64.1% Syrian + 35.9% Ashkenazi @ 3.71
16 82.5% Samaritan + 17.5% Orcadian @ 3.71
17 56.9% Palestinian + 43.1% Central_Greek @ 3.72
18 85.4% Syrian + 14.6% Spanish_Cataluna @ 3.73
19 72% Syrian + 28% West_Sicilian @ 3.73
20 84.8% Syrian + 15.2% Spanish_Murcia @ 3.76

1 50% Italian_Jewish +50% Syrian @ 4.173912

1 50% Jordanian +25% Kurdish_Jewish +25% North_Italian @ 2.740388

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1 Bedouin + Italian_Abruzzo + Kurdish_Jewish + Libyan_Jewish @ 2.565545
2 Jordanian + Kurdish_Jewish + Lebanese_Christian + Spanish_Galicia @ 2.573417
3 Greek_Thessaly + Jordanian + Kurdish_Jewish + Libyan_Jewish @ 2.585573
4 Bedouin + Greek_Thessaly + Kurdish_Jewish + Libyan_Jewish @ 2.680141
5 Ashkenazi + Lebanese_Muslim + Libyan_Jewish + Syrian @ 2.689231
6 Italian_Abruzzo + Jordanian + Kurdish_Jewish + Libyan_Jewish @ 2.703143
7 Jordanian + Kurdish_Jewish + Libyan_Jewish + Tuscan @ 2.719037
8 Jordanian + Jordanian + Kurdish_Jewish + North_Italian @ 2.740388
9 Assyrian + Bedouin + Italian_Abruzzo + Libyan_Jewish @ 2.751368
10 Greek_Thessaly + Kurdish_Jewish + Libyan_Jewish + Palestinian @ 2.768262
11 Iranian + Libyan_Jewish + Libyan_Jewish + Libyan_Jewish @ 2.769808
12 Bedouin + Iranian_Jewish + Italian_Abruzzo + Libyan_Jewish @ 2.781825
13 Ashkenazi + Iranian_Jewish + Libyan_Jewish + Libyan_Jewish @ 2.785007
14 Ashkenazi + Assyrian + Jordanian + Libyan_Jewish @ 2.789630
15 Ashkenazi + Assyrian + Libyan_Jewish + Palestinian @ 2.815542
16 Jordanian + Kurdish_Jewish + Lebanese_Druze + Spanish_Galicia @ 2.820212
17 Ashkenazi + Libyan_Jewish + Syrian + Syrian @ 2.826436
18 Bedouin + Kurdish_Jewish + Lebanese_Druze + Spanish_Galicia @ 2.828497
19 Ashkenazi + Jordanian + Lebanese_Muslim + Libyan_Jewish @ 2.832361
20 Ashkenazi + Assyrian + Bedouin + Libyan_Jewish @ 2.856580

HarappaWorld
1 lebanese_behar @ 8.484431
2 sephardic-jew_behar @ 9.464712
3 syrian_behar @ 10.965061
4 palestinian_harappa @ 11.588214
5 morocco-jew_behar @ 11.708504
6 jordanian_behar @ 11.933450
7 lebanese-muslim_haber @ 12.404239
8 ashkenazy-jew_behar @ 12.884265
9 cypriot_behar @ 12.975420
10 palestinian_hgdp @ 14.060406
11 iraqi-arab_harappa @ 14.568167
12 lebanese-christian_haber @ 15.652236
13 lebanese-druze_haber @ 16.299431
14 ashkenazi_harappa @ 16.356045
15 turk-aydin_hodoglugil @ 16.425350
16 turk-kayseri_hodoglugil @ 16.567268
17 armenian_harappa @ 16.647905
18 turkish_harappa @ 17.259418
19 turk-istanbul_hodoglugil @ 18.001717
20 uzbekistan-jew_behar @ 18.030186

1 81.6% lebanese (behar) + 18.4% italian (hgdp) @ 1.96
2 85.4% lebanese (behar) + 14.6% spaniard (1000genomes) @ 2.03
3 54.1% syrian (behar) + 45.9% ashkenazy-jew (behar) @ 2.13
4 72.6% syrian (behar) + 27.4% tuscan (hapmap) @ 2.24
5 61% lebanese (behar) + 39% ashkenazy-jew (behar) @ 2.27
6 52.8% palestinian (harappa) + 47.2% ashkenazy-jew (behar) @ 2.27
7 71.6% syrian (behar) + 28.4% tuscan (1000genomes) @ 2.32
8 77% lebanese (behar) + 23% tuscan (1000genomes) @ 2.32
9 86.4% lebanese (behar) + 13.6% french (hgdp) @ 2.33
10 77.2% syrian (behar) + 22.8% italian (hgdp) @ 2.36
11 88.5% lebanese (behar) + 11.5% spain-basc (henn2012) @ 2.47
12 66.8% lebanese (behar) + 33.2% ashkenazi (harappa) @ 2.53
13 88.8% lebanese (behar) + 11.2% basque (hgdp) @ 2.53
14 51.8% jordanian (behar) + 48.2% ashkenazy-jew (behar) @ 2.57
15 53.7% sephardic-jew (behar) + 46.3% syrian (behar) @ 2.65
16 55.1% sephardic-jew (behar) + 44.9% palestinian (harappa) @ 2.76
17 58.8% palestinian (harappa) + 41.2% ashkenazi (harappa) @ 2.8
18 81.8% syrian (behar) + 18.2% spaniard (1000genomes) @ 2.85
19 88.4% lebanese (behar) + 11.6% british (1000genomes) @ 2.9
20 60.2% syrian (behar) + 39.8% ashkenazi (harappa) @ 2.93

1 50% ashkenazy-jew_behar +50% syrian_behar @ 2.381398

1 50% ashkenazy-jew_behar +25% iraqi-arab_harappa +25% palestinian_hgdp @ 1.812943

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++
1 ashkenazi_harappa + iraqi-arab_harappa + palestinian_hgdp + sephardic-jew_behar @ 1.446539
2 ashkenazi_harappa + iraqi-arab_harappa + jordanian_behar + sephardic-jew_behar @ 1.535779
3 iraqi-arab_harappa + italian_hgdp + lebanese-christian_haber + palestinian_hgdp @ 1.612162
4 ashkenazi_harappa + morocco-jew_behar + palestinian_harappa + syrian_behar @ 1.621974
5 ashkenazy-jew_behar + morocco-jew_behar + syrian_behar + syrian_behar @ 1.640793
6 ashkenazy-jew_behar + iraqi-arab_harappa + palestinian_hgdp + sephardic-jew_behar @ 1.678885
7 egypt_henn2012 + kurd_yunusbayev + samaritian_behar + tuscan_hapmap @ 1.682399
8 egypt_henn2012 + kurd_harappa + samaritian_behar + tuscan_hgdp @ 1.684118
9 jordanian_behar + lebanese_behar + syrian_behar + tuscan_hapmap @ 1.696986
10 ashkenazy-jew_behar + morocco-jew_behar + palestinian_harappa + syrian_behar @ 1.706778
11 ashkenazy-jew_behar + palestinian_harappa + sephardic-jew_behar + syrian_behar @ 1.710332
12 egypt_henn2012 + kurd_harappa + samaritian_behar + tuscan_hapmap @ 1.718037
13 ashkenazy-jew_behar + iraqi-arab_harappa + jordanian_behar + sephardic-jew_behar @ 1.720031
14 egypt_henn2012 + kurd_harappa + samaritian_behar + tuscan_1000genomes @ 1.721611
15 italian_hgdp + lebanese-druze_haber + palestinian_harappa + palestinian_hgdp @ 1.733968
16 egypt_henn2012 + kurd_yunusbayev + samaritian_behar + tuscan_hgdp @ 1.739066
17 ashkenazy-jew_behar + sephardic-jew_behar + syrian_behar + syrian_behar @ 1.748419
18 ashkenazi_harappa + morocco-jew_behar + palestinian_hgdp + uzbekistan-jew_behar @ 1.762305
19 jordanian_behar + lebanese_behar + syrian_behar + tuscan_hgdp @ 1.769958
20 ashkenazi_harappa + palestinian_harappa + sephardic-jew_behar + syrian_behar @ 1.783134

Dodecad

Dodecad k7b
# Population Percent
1 Southern 40.90
2 West_Asian 32.76
3 Atlantic_Baltic 20.47
4 African 3.87
5 South_Asian 1.43

Finished reading population data. 223 populations found.
7 components mode.

--------------------------------

Least-squares method.

1 Cypriots_Behar @ 6.111008
2 Sephardic_Jews_Behar @ 8.876593
3 Lebanese_Behar @ 10.636406
4 Morocco_Jews_Behar @ 11.259731
5 Syrians_Behar @ 12.597400
6 Druze_HGDP @ 14.119053
7 Jordanians_Behar @ 14.145941
8 Palestinian_HGDP @ 14.827563
9 Turkish_Dodecad @ 14.959062
10 Ashkenazy_Jews_Behar @ 15.309943
11 Ashkenazi_Dodecad @ 15.544578
12 Turks_Behar @ 16.171171
13 Sicilian_Dodecad @ 16.529392
14 S_Italian_Sicilian_Dodecad @ 17.590519
15 Bedouin_HGDP @ 20.739187
16 Uzbekistan_Jews_Behar @ 21.085793
17 Armenian_Dodecad @ 21.978870
18 Assyrian_Dodecad @ 22.034782
19 Georgia_Jews_Behar @ 22.333635
20 Samaritians_Behar @ 22.438728

1 81% Syrians (Behar) + 19% Aragon (1000Genomes) @ 0.91
2 79.3% Syrians (Behar) + 20.7% Baleares (1000Genomes) @ 0.91
3 56.9% Syrians (Behar) + 43.1% Sicilian (Dodecad) @ 0.93
4 79.4% Syrians (Behar) + 20.6% Andalucia (1000Genomes) @ 0.95
5 80.3% Syrians (Behar) + 19.7% Castilla_La_Mancha (1000Genomes) @ 0.95
6 81.3% Syrians (Behar) + 18.7% Cantabria (1000Genomes) @ 0.95
7 83.5% Syrians (Behar) + 16.5% French_Basque (HGDP) @ 0.96
8 80.9% Syrians (Behar) + 19.1% Valencia (1000Genomes) @ 0.97
9 83.5% Syrians (Behar) + 16.5% Pais_Vasco (1000Genomes) @ 0.98
10 79.1% Syrians (Behar) + 20.9% Murcia (1000Genomes) @ 0.98
11 80.4% Syrians (Behar) + 19.6% Spanish (Dodecad) @ 1.01
12 82.1% Lebanese (Behar) + 17.9% Portuguese (Dodecad) @ 1.03
13 76.8% Syrians (Behar) + 23.2% North_Italian (HGDP) @ 1.03
14 80.1% Syrians (Behar) + 19.9% Castilla_Y_Leon (1000Genomes) @ 1.04
15 80.3% Syrians (Behar) + 19.7% Spaniards (Behar) @ 1.04
16 79.6% Syrians (Behar) + 20.4% Galicia (1000Genomes) @ 1.05
17 81% Syrians (Behar) + 19% Cataluna (1000Genomes) @ 1.08
18 58.5% Syrians (Behar) + 41.5% S_Italian_Sicilian (Dodecad) @ 1.11
19 79.6% Syrians (Behar) + 20.4% Extremadura (1000Genomes) @ 1.12
20 72.4% Syrians (Behar) + 27.6% TSI30 (Metspalu) @ 1.14

1 50% Ashkenazy_Jews_Behar +50% Syrians_Behar @ 1.758614

1 50% Armenians_15_Yunusbayev +25% Ashkenazy_Jews_Behar +25% Moroccan_Dodecad @ 0.769258

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1 Assyrian_Dodecad + Canarias_1000Genomes + Jordanians_Behar + Syrians_Behar @ 0.000000
2 Extremadura_1000Genomes + Iranian_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar @ 0.276173
3 Azerbaijan_Jews_Behar + Canarias_1000Genomes + Palestinian_HGDP + Syrians_Behar @ 0.429340
4 Iranian_Jews_Behar + Palestinian_HGDP + Portuguese_Dodecad + Syrians_Behar @ 0.457482
5 Iraq_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Portuguese_Dodecad + Syrians_Behar @ 0.479856
6 Baleares_1000Genomes + Iranian_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar @ 0.483539
7 Assyrian_Dodecad + Canarias_1000Genomes + Palestinian_HGDP + Syrians_Behar @ 0.510722
8 Galicia_1000Genomes + Iranian_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar @ 0.517476
9 Azerbaijan_Jews_Behar + Canarias_1000Genomes + Jordanians_Behar + Syrians_Behar @ 0.524095
10 Bedouin_HGDP + Canarias_1000Genomes + Druze_HGDP + Kurds_Yunusbayev @ 0.525746
11 Armenians_Behar + Egyptans_Behar + Kurds_Yunusbayev + Sardinian_HGDP @ 0.547740
12 Iranian_Jews_Behar + Murcia_1000Genomes + Palestinian_HGDP + Syrians_Behar @ 0.550161
13 Iranian_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Spaniards_Behar @ 0.551820
14 Armenian_Dodecad + Egyptans_Behar + Kurds_Yunusbayev + Sardinian_HGDP @ 0.609597
15 North_Italian_HGDP + Palestinian_HGDP + Palestinian_HGDP + Uzbekistan_Jews_Behar @ 0.621082
16 Armenians_15_Yunusbayev + Egyptans_Behar + Kurds_Yunusbayev + Sardinian_HGDP @ 0.667785
17 Galicia_1000Genomes + Iranian_Jews_Behar + Palestinian_HGDP + Syrians_Behar @ 0.676328
18 Iranian_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Portuguese_Dodecad @ 0.677438
19 Canarias_1000Genomes + Georgia_Jews_Behar + Palestinian_HGDP + Syrians_Behar @ 0.685490
20 Druze_HGDP + Jordanians_Behar + Palestinian_HGDP + Romanians_Behar @ 0.694663
World9
# Population Percent
1 Southern 41.43
2 Caucasus_Gedrosia 31.02
3 Atlantic_Baltic 21.20
4 African 3.78

Finished reading population data. 250 populations found.
9 components mode.

Least-squares method.

1 Cypriots_Behar @ 6.096004
2 Sephardic_Jews_Behar @ 8.968749
3 Morocco_Jews_Behar @ 10.489223
4 Lebanese_Behar @ 11.291283
5 Turkish_Dodecad @ 13.632206
6 Syrians_Behar @ 14.161455
7 Druze_HGDP @ 14.732952
8 Jordanians_Behar @ 14.960037
9 S_Italian_Dodecad @ 15.137149
10 Ashkenazi_Dodecad @ 15.309376
11 Palestinian_HGDP @ 15.536369
12 S_Italian_Sicilian_Dodecad @ 16.007210
13 Ashkenazy_Jews @ 16.573029
14 Sicilian_Dodecad @ 16.795431
15 Turks_Behar @ 17.334845
16 Georgia_Jews_Behar @ 18.359659
17 Armenians_Behar @ 19.165665
18 Greek_Dodecad @ 20.818062
19 Uzbekistan_Jews @ 21.497749
20 Armenian_Dodecad @ 22.050501

1 90.4% Cypriots (Behar) + 9.6% Dominican @ 1.24
2 59.9% Lebanese (Behar) + 40.1% Sicilian (Dodecad) @ 1.29
3 78.8% Lebanese (Behar) + 21.2% North_Italian (HGDP) @ 1.36
4 80.7% Lebanese (Behar) + 19.3% Baleares (1000 Genomes) @ 1.39
5 69.7% Lebanese (Behar) + 30.3% C_Italian (Dodecad) @ 1.4
6 74.1% Lebanese (Behar) + 25.9% Tuscan (HGDP) @ 1.4
7 58.9% Lebanese (Behar) + 41.1% S_Italian_Sicilian (Dodecad) @ 1.41
8 74.7% Lebanese (Behar) + 25.3% TSI30 (Metspalu) @ 1.41
9 83% Lebanese (Behar) + 17% Cantabria (1000 Genomes) @ 1.41
10 82.8% Lebanese (Behar) + 17.2% Aragon (1000 Genomes) @ 1.42
11 82.6% Lebanese (Behar) + 17.4% Cataluna (1000 Genomes) @ 1.43
12 82.3% Lebanese (Behar) + 17.7% Valencia (1000 Genomes) @ 1.43
13 81.9% Lebanese (Behar) + 18.1% Spaniards (Behar) @ 1.43
14 85% Lebanese (Behar) + 15% French_Basque @ 1.45
15 85% Lebanese (Behar) + 15% Pais_Vasco (1000 Genomes) @ 1.45
16 82.3% Lebanese (Behar) + 17.7% Spanish (Dodecad) @ 1.46
17 81.7% Lebanese (Behar) + 18.3% Castilla_La_Mancha (1000 Genomes) @ 1.47
18 81% Lebanese (Behar) + 19% Andalucia (1000 Genomes) @ 1.48
19 54.4% Syrians (Behar) + 45.6% Sicilian (Dodecad) @ 1.49
20 81.5% Lebanese (Behar) + 18.5% Galicia (1000 Genomes) @ 1.51

1 50% Ashkenazi_Dodecad +50% Syrians_Behar @ 1.766488

1 50% Palestinian_HGDP +25% Azerbaijan_Jews +25% Baleares_1000 Genomes @ 0.944800

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1 Tuscan_HGDP + Cypriots_Behar + Egyptans_Behar + Uzbekistan_Jews @ 0.902626
2 Druze_HGDP + North_Italian_HGDP + Jordanians_Behar + Syrians_Behar @ 0.908760
3 Bedouin_HGDP + North_Italian_HGDP + Lezgins_Behar + Yemen_Jews_Behar @ 0.923470
4 Palestinian_HGDP + Palestinian_HGDP + Azerbaijan_Jews + Baleares_1000 Genomes @ 0.944800
5 Azerbaijan_Jews + Egyptans_Behar + Iraq_Jews_Behar + Aragon_1000 Genomes @ 0.953716
6 TSI30_Metspalu + Cypriots_Behar + Egyptans_Behar + Uzbekistan_Jews @ 0.957426
7 N_Italian_Dodecad + Armenians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Saudis_Behar @ 0.981699
8 Portuguese_Dodecad + Georgians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Yemen_Jews_Behar @ 0.983471
9 Georgians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Yemen_Jews_Behar + Castilla_La_Mancha_1000 Genomes @ 0.986294
10 Georgians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Yemen_Jews_Behar + Castilla_Y_Leon_1000 Genomes @ 0.993682
11 Georgians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Yemen_Jews_Behar + Galicia_1000 Genomes @ 1.015940
12 North_Italian_HGDP + Armenians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Saudis_Behar @ 1.021193
13 Assyrian_Dodecad + Egyptans_Behar + Iraq_Jews_Behar + Aragon_1000 Genomes @ 1.027438
14 Brazilian_Dodecad + Druze_HGDP + Palestinian_HGDP + Georgia_Jews_Behar @ 1.031277
15 Palestinian_HGDP + Iraq_Jews_Behar + Lebanese_Behar + Extremadura_1000 Genomes @ 1.033663
16 Portuguese_Dodecad + Palestinian_HGDP + Georgians_Behar + Saudis_Behar @ 1.035570
17 Bedouin_HGDP + Syrians_Behar + Baleares_1000 Genomes + Armenians_Yunusbayev @ 1.038591
18 Georgia_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Syrians_Behar + Murcia_1000 Genomes @ 1.038624
19 German_Dodecad + Iranian_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Yemen_Jews_Behar @ 1.039862
20 Iraq_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Lebanese_Behar + Andalucia_1000 Genomes @ 1.041631

StillWater
10-01-2019, 10:00 PM
I might eventually contact the match after doing some more research. I’d like to throw something else into the mix though:
I’ve recently stumbled upon a couple sources listing the family name from which I descend on my paternal line as a Syrian Jewish family in the 19th century, and another source mentioning a Jewish man in medieval Andalus with that name as well. Altogether the sources would suggest a Jewish paternal line that would have started intermarrying (if it hadnt been doing so already then just more extensively due to circumstances) in the mid to mid-late 19th century. How plausible do you think this is as an explanation to my matches given the following:

1 The information I’ve provided on them so far, including the cM range.

2 The surname is Arabic, so I initially thought it wouldn’t make sense for Mizrahi ancestry to result in Sephardi matches, but given the source I discovered later I guess a Jewish family in medieval Spain would not necessarily have had a Spanish name?

3 The fact I don’t score any Sephardic. Does the suggested timeline allow for a Sephardic line that intermarried more or less in different regions and resulted in some descendants who would not score any Sephardic on sites like MH and FTDNA?

Less relevant but I’m just throwing in as much information as possible:

4 my closest single population in MDLP K16 is Jew (Syria) @ 2.98 in mixed mode, Jew_Syria @ 3.110118 in 4-way Oracle, and in MDLP K23b Syrian_Jew_ @ 6.674106 and something similar in 4xOracle. But then again: 1) I recall another levantine getting ca. 4-6 @ Syrian Jew in an mdlp calc. 2) Why Syrian Jew instead of Sephardic? There are Sephardic Syrian Jews though so I’m not really sure if the Syrian Jew reference for MDLP is Mizrahi and it’s just showing up as a proxy for Syrian Christian (though Lebanese Christian is lower).
5 Only other unusual closest distance single population is North_African_Jews (Dodecad) @ 7.076414 in Africa9, but that calc is weird for everyone. The distance from the closest non-Jewish population is quite high @15.1 (Jordanian) though.

In light of this, I’m curious if the 24.2 cM match has any Syrian Jewish ancestry. I'm of course aware that that could be both true and false independently of the above. The results are all over the place but maybe comparing them to this Syrian Jewish kit I found could help: M020638, Here are some results:

MDLP
MDLP K16

# Population Percent
1 Caucasian 42.62
2 Neolithic 19.02
3 NearEast 14.29
4 Steppe 6.65
5 Indian 5.52
6 NorthEastEuropean 5.31
7 NorthAfrican 2.77
8 EastAfrican 1.84
9 Ancestor 1.43

Least-squares method.

1 Jew_Syria @ 5.678319
9 Jew_Turkey @ 9.076401

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
5 Armenian_Vanatur_Hrazdan + Jew_Iran + Spanish_Andalucia + Jew_Yemen @ 2.691606
10 Armenian_Vanatur_Hrazdan + Jew_Iraqi + Spanish_Cataluna + Jew_Yemen @ 2.746019
12 Armenian_Vanatur_Hrazdan + Jew_Iran + Spanish_Valencia + Jew_Yemen @ 2.784757
18 Armenian_Vanatur_Hrazdan + Italian_Bergamo + Jew_Kurdish + Jew_Yemen @ 2.851300

MDLP K23b
1 Cretan_ @ 7.993454
2 Syrian_Jew_ @ 9.216315
3 Turk_Jew_ @ 9.835994
4 Cypriot_ @ 9.872540
12 Lebanese_ @ 11.347403

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MDLP World-22
# Population Percent
1 West-Asian 29.95
3 Near_East 28.72
5 Sub-Saharian 1.75
6 Indian 1.38
7 Mesoamerican 1.26
8 South-African 1.10

2 Cypriot (derived) 6.72
5 Druze (derived) 9.35
9 Syrian (derived) 10.37
17 Iraqi (derived) 13.98
19 Turk (derived) 16.01

1 50% Jew_Francestrale_derived +25% Jew-Uzbekistan_derived +25% Jordanian_derived @ 2.076934

1 Italian-South_derived + Jew_Tunisia_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.733667
2 Ashkenazim_derived + Greek_Cretan_derived + Jew_Iraqi_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.758512
3 Italian-Center_derived + Jew_Tunisia_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.784160
4 Jew_Morocco_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.784347
5 Italian-South_derived + Jew_Morocco_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.795210
6 Ashkenazim_derived + Jew-Iran_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.823629
7 Jew_Italia_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.827407
8 Ashkenazim_derived + Greek_Cretan_derived + Jew_Georgia_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.834846
9 Jew_Francestrale_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.841711
10 Italian-South_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Jew_Morocco_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.850606
11 Jew_Italia_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.859489
12 Italian-Center_derived + Jew_Libya_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.874801
13 Italian-Center_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Jew_Tunisia_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.875037
14 Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sephardim_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.880211
15 Ashkenazim_derived + Jew_Francestrale_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.896334
16 Italian-Center_derived + Jew_Algeria_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.916536
17 Jew_Tunisia_derived + Jew-Uzbekistan_derived + Palestinian_derived + Sicilian_derived @ 1.928862
18 Italian-South_derived + Jew_Italia_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.930911
19 Jew_Algeria_derived + Jew_Azerbaijan_derived + Jew_Romania_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.935884
20 Italian-Center_derived + Jew_Kurd_derived + Jew_Morocco_derived + Palestinian_derived @ 1.942402

MDLP World
# Population Percent
1 Middle_East 33.99
3 Caucaus_Parsia 26.17
5 Sub_Saharian 2.40
6 Indian 1.55
7 Mesoamerican 1.04

1 Jew_Syria @ 4.590972
2 Lebanese @ 8.153969
3 Druze @ 9.088723
4 Cypriot @ 9.526180
6 Syrian @ 10.923148
8 Jew_Libya @ 12.023209
9 Sephardim @ 13.386265
12 Jordanian @ 14.484616
16 Iraqi @ 15.701335
19 Jew-Iraqi @ 16.953590
20 Jew_Iraqi @ 17.998844

Eurogenes
K13

# Population Percent
1 East_Med 38.92
2 West_Asian 16.82
3 West_Med 14.71
4 Red_Sea 9.60
5 North_Atlantic 9.10
6 Northeast_African 2.90
7 Baltic 2.69
8 South_Asian 1.88
9 Sub-Saharan 1.53

1 Tunisian_Jewish 6.62
2 Lebanese_Muslim 7.1
3 Libyan_Jewish 7.27
4 Cyprian 7.53
5 Syrian 8.03
6 Sephardic_Jewish 8.71
7 Jordanian 9.71
8 Palestinian 9.85
9 Samaritan 10.13
10 Algerian_Jewish 10.19
11 Italian_Jewish 10.25
12 Lebanese_Druze 10.99
14 Ashkenazi 12.17
15 South_Italian 13.1
16 East_Sicilian 13.75
17 Bedouin 14.27
18 Iranian_Jewish 15.14
19 Kurdish_Jewish 15.2
20 Central_Greek 15.22

Jtest
# Population Percent
1 EAST_MED 25.52
2 ASHKENAZI 18.59
3 MIDDLE_EASTERN 18.04
4 WEST_ASIAN 13.5
5 WEST_MED 8.28
6 ATLANTIC 5.57
8 SOUTH_ASIAN 2.09
9 EAST_AFRICAN 1.85
10 WEST_AFRICAN 1.23
11 EAST_ASIAN 0.11
12 SOUTH_BALTIC 0.09
13 SIBERIAN 0.01

1 AJ 15.53
3 IQ 18.69
4 GR 18.7
5 Mandean 21.06
6 TR 21.58
7 Samaritan 21.74
8 Assyrian 21.98
9 Armenian 23.91
10 Kurdish 25.13
11 Tuscan 25.62
12 IR 25.64
13 Druze 26.54
14 Algerian 28.03
15 North_Italian 29.45
16 Moroccan 29.91
17 RO 30.39
18 Serbian 31.96
19 PT 33.42
20 ES 35.47

Eurogenes EUtest V2 K15
Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
1 East_Med 36.06
2 West_Asian 16.32
3 West_Med 11.58
4 Red_Sea 10.75
5 North_Sea 7.5
6 Atlantic 6.07
7 Northeast_African 3.25
8 Eastern_Euro 2.18
9 South_Asian 1.98
10 Baltic 1.66
11 Sub-Saharan 1.38
12 Oceanian 0.62
13 Amerindian 0.55
14 Southeast_Asian 0.09

1 Syrian 7.26
2 Libyan_Jewish 7.62
3 Lebanese_Muslim 7.75
4 Tunisian_Jewish 8.24
5 Cyprian 8.78
6 Sephardic_Jewish 9.21
7 Jordanian 9.57
8 Italian_Jewish 9.73
9 Algerian_Jewish 10.61
10 Samaritan 10.89
11 Palestinian 10.91
12 Ashkenazi 11.76
14 South_Italian 12.82
15 East_Sicilian 12.99
16 Bedouin 13.12
17 Lebanese_Druze 13.56
18 Central_Greek 14.02
19 Kurdish_Jewish 14.65
20 Iranian_Jewish 14.94

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HarappaWorld

1 50% ashkenazy-jew_behar +25% iraqi-arab_harappa +25% palestinian_hgdp @ 1.812943

1 ashkenazi_harappa + iraqi-arab_harappa + palestinian_hgdp + sephardic-jew_behar @ 1.446539
2 ashkenazi_harappa + iraqi-arab_harappa + jordanian_behar + sephardic-jew_behar @ 1.535779
3 iraqi-arab_harappa + italian_hgdp + lebanese-christian_haber + palestinian_hgdp @ 1.612162
4 ashkenazi_harappa + morocco-jew_behar + palestinian_harappa + syrian_behar @ 1.621974
5 ashkenazy-jew_behar + morocco-jew_behar + syrian_behar + syrian_behar @ 1.640793
6 ashkenazy-jew_behar + iraqi-arab_harappa + palestinian_hgdp + sephardic-jew_behar @ 1.678885
7 egypt_henn2012 + kurd_yunusbayev + samaritian_behar + tuscan_hapmap @ 1.682399
10 ashkenazy-jew_behar + morocco-jew_behar + palestinian_harappa + syrian_behar @ 1.706778
11 ashkenazy-jew_behar + palestinian_harappa + sephardic-jew_behar + syrian_behar @ 1.710332
13 ashkenazy-jew_behar + iraqi-arab_harappa + jordanian_behar + sephardic-jew_behar @ 1.720031
14 egypt_henn2012 + kurd_harappa + samaritian_behar + tuscan_1000genomes @ 1.721611
15 italian_hgdp + lebanese-druze_haber + palestinian_harappa + palestinian_hgdp @ 1.733968
17 ashkenazy-jew_behar + sephardic-jew_behar + syrian_behar + syrian_behar @ 1.748419
18 ashkenazi_harappa + morocco-jew_behar + palestinian_hgdp + uzbekistan-jew_behar @ 1.762305
20 ashkenazi_harappa + palestinian_harappa + sephardic-jew_behar + syrian_behar @ 1.783134

Dodecad

Dodecad k7b
# Population Percent
1 Southern 40.90
2 West_Asian 32.76
3 Atlantic_Baltic 20.47
4 African 3.87
5 South_Asian 1.43

7 components mode.

Least-squares method.

6 Druze_HGDP @ 14.119053

1 50% Armenians_15_Yunusbayev +25% Ashkenazy_Jews_Behar +25% Moroccan_Dodecad @ 0.769258

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1 Assyrian_Dodecad + Canarias_1000Genomes + Jordanians_Behar + Syrians_Behar @ 0.000000
2 Extremadura_1000Genomes + Iranian_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar @ 0.276173
3 Azerbaijan_Jews_Behar + Canarias_1000Genomes + Palestinian_HGDP + Syrians_Behar @ 0.429340
4 Iranian_Jews_Behar + Palestinian_HGDP + Portuguese_Dodecad + Syrians_Behar @ 0.457482
5 Iraq_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Portuguese_Dodecad + Syrians_Behar @ 0.479856
6 Baleares_1000Genomes + Iranian_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar @ 0.483539
7 Assyrian_Dodecad + Canarias_1000Genomes + Palestinian_HGDP + Syrians_Behar @ 0.510722
8 Galicia_1000Genomes + Iranian_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar @ 0.517476
9 Azerbaijan_Jews_Behar + Canarias_1000Genomes + Jordanians_Behar + Syrians_Behar @ 0.524095
10 Bedouin_HGDP + Canarias_1000Genomes + Druze_HGDP + Kurds_Yunusbayev @ 0.525746
11 Armenians_Behar + Egyptans_Behar + Kurds_Yunusbayev + Sardinian_HGDP @ 0.547740
12 Iranian_Jews_Behar + Murcia_1000Genomes + Palestinian_HGDP + Syrians_Behar @ 0.550161
13 Iranian_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Spaniards_Behar @ 0.551820
14 Armenian_Dodecad + Egyptans_Behar + Kurds_Yunusbayev + Sardinian_HGDP @ 0.609597
15 North_Italian_HGDP + Palestinian_HGDP + Palestinian_HGDP + Uzbekistan_Jews_Behar @ 0.621082
16 Armenians_15_Yunusbayev + Egyptans_Behar + Kurds_Yunusbayev + Sardinian_HGDP @ 0.667785
17 Galicia_1000Genomes + Iranian_Jews_Behar + Palestinian_HGDP + Syrians_Behar @ 0.676328
18 Iranian_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Portuguese_Dodecad @ 0.677438
19 Canarias_1000Genomes + Georgia_Jews_Behar + Palestinian_HGDP + Syrians_Behar @ 0.685490
20 Druze_HGDP + Jordanians_Behar + Palestinian_HGDP + Romanians_Behar @ 0.694663
World9
# Population Percent
1 Southern 41.43
3 Atlantic_Baltic 21.20
4 African 3.78

9 components mode.

Least-squares method.

7 Druze_HGDP @ 14.732952

1 50% Palestinian_HGDP +25% Azerbaijan_Jews +25% Baleares_1000 Genomes @ 0.944800

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
3 Bedouin_HGDP + North_Italian_HGDP + Lezgins_Behar + Yemen_Jews_Behar @ 0.923470
4 Palestinian_HGDP + Palestinian_HGDP + Azerbaijan_Jews + Baleares_1000 Genomes @ 0.944800
5 Azerbaijan_Jews + Egyptans_Behar + Iraq_Jews_Behar + Aragon_1000 Genomes @ 0.953716
7 N_Italian_Dodecad + Armenians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Saudis_Behar @ 0.981699
8 Portuguese_Dodecad + Georgians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Yemen_Jews_Behar @ 0.983471
9 Georgians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Yemen_Jews_Behar + Castilla_La_Mancha_1000 Genomes @ 0.986294
10 Georgians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Yemen_Jews_Behar + Castilla_Y_Leon_1000 Genomes @ 0.993682
11 Georgians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Yemen_Jews_Behar + Galicia_1000 Genomes @ 1.015940
12 North_Italian_HGDP + Armenians_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Saudis_Behar @ 1.021193
13 Assyrian_Dodecad + Egyptans_Behar + Iraq_Jews_Behar + Aragon_1000 Genomes @ 1.027438
14 Brazilian_Dodecad + Druze_HGDP + Palestinian_HGDP + Georgia_Jews_Behar @ 1.031277
15 Palestinian_HGDP + Iraq_Jews_Behar + Lebanese_Behar + Extremadura_1000 Genomes @ 1.033663
16 Portuguese_Dodecad + Palestinian_HGDP + Georgians_Behar + Saudis_Behar @ 1.035570
17 Bedouin_HGDP + Syrians_Behar + Baleares_1000 Genomes + Armenians_Yunusbayev @ 1.038591
18 Georgia_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Syrians_Behar + Murcia_1000 Genomes @ 1.038624
19 German_Dodecad + Iranian_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Yemen_Jews_Behar @ 1.039862
20 Iraq_Jews_Behar + Jordanians_Behar + Lebanese_Behar + Andalucia_1000 Genomes @ 1.041631

There is currently no service with either a good recall or a good precision rate for Sephardi ancestry, so don't pay much attention to whether MH or FTDNA assigns you Sephardi ancestry. As for Syrian Jews, they vary a lot. Some are very Sephardi; others are very Mizrachi. And you're right, plenty of Jews in Spain had Arabic surnames. Some even migrated to Ashkenazi populations. Examples are: Abuhav -> Abugov and Abulafia -> Abulafiev. I have relatives with an Arabic surname, but it may be a pure linguistic coincidence. And Gedmatch assigning you Syrian Jewish might be an indicator that you have some Western Jewish ancestry or it's because the reference on Gedmatch is very Mizrachi and just overlaps with others in the region.

rober_tce
10-02-2019, 01:18 AM
I might eventually contact the match after doing some more research. Iíd like to throw something else into the mix though:
Iíve recently stumbled upon a couple sources listing the family name from which I descend on my paternal line as a Syrian Jewish family in the 19th century, and another source mentioning a Jewish man in medieval Andalus with that name as well. Altogether the sources would suggest a Jewish paternal line that would have started intermarrying (if it hadnt been doing so already then just more extensively due to circumstances) in the mid to mid-late 19th century. How plausible do you think this is as an explanation to my matches given the following:

1 The information Iíve provided on them so far, including the cM range.

2 The surname is Arabic, so I initially thought it wouldnít make sense for Mizrahi ancestry to result in Sephardi matches, but given the source I discovered later I guess a Jewish family in medieval Spain would not necessarily have had a Spanish name?

3 The fact I donít score any Sephardic. Does the suggested timeline allow for a Sephardic line that intermarried more or less in different regions and resulted in some descendants who would not score any Sephardic on sites like MH and FTDNA?

Less relevant but Iím just throwing in as much information as possible:

4 my closest single population in MDLP K16 is Jew (Syria) @ 2.98 in mixed mode, Jew_Syria @ 3.110118 in 4-way Oracle, and in MDLP K23b Syrian_Jew_ @ 6.674106 and something similar in 4xOracle. But then again: 1) I recall another levantine getting ca. 4-6 @ Syrian Jew in an mdlp calc. 2) Why Syrian Jew instead of Sephardic? There are Sephardic Syrian Jews though so Iím not really sure if the Syrian Jew reference for MDLP is Mizrahi and itís just showing up as a proxy for Syrian Christian (though Lebanese Christian is lower).

In light of this, Iím curious if the 24.2 cM match has any Syrian Jewish ancestry. I'm of course aware that that could be both true and false independently of the above. The results are all over the place but maybe comparing them to this Syrian Jewish kit I found could help: M020638, Here are some results:

MDLP
MDLP K16

# Population Percent
1 Caucasian 42.62
2 Neolithic 19.02
3 NearEast 14.29
4 Steppe 6.65
5 Indian 5.52
6 NorthEastEuropean 5.31
7 NorthAfrican 2.77
8 EastAfrican 1.84
9 Ancestor 1.43

Least-squares method.

1 Jew_Syria @ 5.678319
9 Jew_Turkey @ 9.076401

MDLP K23b
1 Cretan_ @ 7.993454
2 Syrian_Jew_ @ 9.216315
3 Turk_Jew_ @ 9.835994
4 Cypriot_ @ 9.872540
12 Lebanese_ @ 11.347403

MDLP World-22
# Population Percent
1 West-Asian 29.95
3 Near_East 28.72
5 Sub-Saharian 1.75
6 Indian 1.38
7 Mesoamerican 1.26
8 South-African 1.10

2 Cypriot (derived) 6.72
5 Druze (derived) 9.35
9 Syrian (derived) 10.37
17 Iraqi (derived) 13.98
19 Turk (derived) 16.01

MDLP World
# Population Percent
1 Middle_East 33.99
3 Caucaus_Parsia 26.17
5 Sub_Saharian 2.40
6 Indian 1.55
7 Mesoamerican 1.04

1 Jew_Syria @ 4.590972
2 Lebanese @ 8.153969
3 Druze @ 9.088723
4 Cypriot @ 9.526180
6 Syrian @ 10.923148
8 Jew_Libya @ 12.023209
9 Sephardim @ 13.386265
12 Jordanian @ 14.484616
16 Iraqi @ 15.701335
19 Jew-Iraqi @ 16.953590
20 Jew_Iraqi @ 17.998844

Eurogenes
K13

# Population Percent
1 East_Med 38.92
2 West_Asian 16.82
3 West_Med 14.71
4 Red_Sea 9.60
5 North_Atlantic 9.10
6 Northeast_African 2.90
7 Baltic 2.69
8 South_Asian 1.88
9 Sub-Saharan 1.53

1 Tunisian_Jewish 6.62
2 Lebanese_Muslim 7.1
3 Libyan_Jewish 7.27
4 Cyprian 7.53
5 Syrian 8.03
6 Sephardic_Jewish 8.71
7 Jordanian 9.71
8 Palestinian 9.85
9 Samaritan 10.13
10 Algerian_Jewish 10.19
11 Italian_Jewish 10.25
12 Lebanese_Druze 10.99
14 Ashkenazi 12.17
15 South_Italian 13.1
16 East_Sicilian 13.75
17 Bedouin 14.27
18 Iranian_Jewish 15.14
19 Kurdish_Jewish 15.2
20 Central_Greek 15.22

Jtest
# Population Percent
1 EAST_MED 25.52
2 ASHKENAZI 18.59
3 MIDDLE_EASTERN 18.04
4 WEST_ASIAN 13.5
5 WEST_MED 8.28
6 ATLANTIC 5.57
8 SOUTH_ASIAN 2.09
9 EAST_AFRICAN 1.85
10 WEST_AFRICAN 1.23
11 EAST_ASIAN 0.11
12 SOUTH_BALTIC 0.09
13 SIBERIAN 0.01

1 AJ 15.53
3 IQ 18.69
4 GR 18.7
5 Mandean 21.06
6 TR 21.58
7 Samaritan 21.74
8 Assyrian 21.98
9 Armenian 23.91
10 Kurdish 25.13
11 Tuscan 25.62
12 IR 25.64
13 Druze 26.54
14 Algerian 28.03
15 North_Italian 29.45
16 Moroccan 29.91
17 RO 30.39
18 Serbian 31.96
19 PT 33.42
20 ES 35.47

Eurogenes EUtest V2 K15
Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
1 East_Med 36.06
2 West_Asian 16.32
3 West_Med 11.58
4 Red_Sea 10.75
5 North_Sea 7.5
6 Atlantic 6.07
7 Northeast_African 3.25
8 Eastern_Euro 2.18
9 South_Asian 1.98
10 Baltic 1.66
11 Sub-Saharan 1.38
12 Oceanian 0.62
13 Amerindian 0.55
14 Southeast_Asian 0.09

1 Syrian 7.26
2 Libyan_Jewish 7.62
3 Lebanese_Muslim 7.75
4 Tunisian_Jewish 8.24
5 Cyprian 8.78
6 Sephardic_Jewish 9.21
7 Jordanian 9.57
8 Italian_Jewish 9.73
9 Algerian_Jewish 10.61
10 Samaritan 10.89
11 Palestinian 10.91
12 Ashkenazi 11.76
14 South_Italian 12.82
15 East_Sicilian 12.99
16 Bedouin 13.12
17 Lebanese_Druze 13.56
18 Central_Greek 14.02
19 Kurdish_Jewish 14.65
20 Iranian_Jewish 14.94

HarappaWorld

Dodecad

Dodecad k7b
# Population Percent
1 Southern 40.90
2 West_Asian 32.76
3 Atlantic_Baltic 20.47
4 African 3.87
5 South_Asian 1.43

7 components mode.

Least-squares method.

6 Druze_HGDP @ 14.119053

World9
# Population Percent
1 Southern 41.43
3 Atlantic_Baltic 21.20
4 African 3.78

9 components mode.

Least-squares method.

7 Druze_HGDP @ 14.732952

Your family information about a syrian jewish lineage is very valuable. So this can explain shared segments with jews. Anyway, I read that there are some Sefaradim that arrived to Syria after 1492, and they could mixed with local jews.

Respect to sephardic jews, as said Stillwater, companies have difficults to assigning with accurately sephardic markers (I still don't know why...).

andyouare
10-02-2019, 05:37 AM
There is currently no service with either a good recall or a good precision rate for Sephardi ancestry, so don't pay much attention to whether MH or FTDNA assigns you Sephardi ancestry. As for Syrian Jews, they vary a lot. Some are very Sephardi; others are very Mizrachi. And you're right, plenty of Jews in Spain had Arabic surnames. Some even migrated to Ashkenazi populations. Examples are: Abuhav -> Abugov and Abulafia -> Abulafiev. I have relatives with an Arabic surname, but it may be a pure linguistic coincidence. And Gedmatch assigning you Syrian Jewish might be an indicator that you have some Western Jewish ancestry or it's because the reference on Gedmatch is very Mizrachi and just overlaps with others in the region.

Why would Sephardic ancestry give me full ashkenazi matches? Is that normal?

Your family information about a syrian jewish lineage is very valuable. So this can explain shared segments with jews. Anyway, I read that there are some Sefaradim that arrived to Syria after 1492, and they could mixed with local jews.

Respect to sephardic jews, as said Stillwater, companies have difficults to assigning with accurately sephardic markers (I still don't know why...).

Yea this is pretty much a fact.

This is all quite astounding. Although the evidence keeps piling up, it all pretty much means nothing if nobody talks about it and confirms it.

StillWater
10-02-2019, 05:41 AM
Why would Sephardic ancestry give me full ashkenazi matches? Is that normal?

Yes, it's normal. Ashkenazim have some Sephardic ancestry and various Eastern Sephardim often have some Ashkenazi ancestry.

andyouare
10-02-2019, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the responses :)

andyouare
10-03-2019, 12:19 AM
Yes, in autosomal comparison tool. In fact, your match with 24.2 cM have only 1400 SNPs shared. Kevin Brook told me about this, he analyzed my jewish matches and said me that kit with new format give weird results in autosomal comparison. For example one of my Ashkenazi matches with traditional format, have 2400 SNPs shared with me in 10 cM, but other jewish kit with new format and 14 cM, only shared with me 300 SNPs.

Try verifying this matter and compare traditional kits with newer kits (two letters and seven numbers).

Read also this link of Kevin Brook web: http://www.khazaria.com/genetics/excess-ibd-regions.html

Are there any other sources for this '100 snp per 1 cM otherwise it's likely fake' guideline? His requirements seem pretty stringent. So a matches cluster can be labeled entirely fake just because a couple members match the rest but don't triangulate, or they triangulate but not for the entire segment?

rober_tce
10-03-2019, 10:22 AM
For matches that they should have minimum 700 SNPs for they would can be real; normally matches with 20 cM, you should share more SNPs. This match have modern or old GEDmatch format?

If only it triangulate two matches but not between others can be real (verify if these matches triangulate only between them or also with other non jewish matches), but if you have some matches that triangulate between them in same chromosome segments is better and a solid indicator of jewish segment in a chromosome.

Edition: I revised Kevin Brook's emails and he said me that for a match with 7 cM, both kits must share minimum 700 SNPs, even 1000 SNP would be better.

andyouare
10-05-2019, 03:16 AM
For matches that they should have minimum 700 SNPs for they would can be real; normally matches with 20 cM, you should share more SNPs. This match have modern or old GEDmatch format?

If only it triangulate two matches but not between others can be real (verify if these matches triangulate only between them or also with other non jewish matches), but if you have some matches that triangulate between them in same chromosome segments is better and a solid indicator of jewish segment in a chromosome.

Edition: I revised Kevin Brook's emails and he said me that for a match with 7 cM, both kits must share minimum 700 SNPs, even 1000 SNP would be better.

I'm not really sure how I'm related to that match anyways, but how do you tell old from new format? Is it just the letters?

As for the triangulation group, on Gedmatch that group contains Sephardic and South American/Spanish matches. I didn't save the south american kit numbers back when I had tier 1 but here are some of the Sephardic ones:
9.7 cM - 831 SNPs
9.9 cM - 1,082 SNPs
9.4 cM - 701 SNPs
8.8 cM - 979 SNPs

The full Ashkenazi match (not in the triangulation group as it has no Ashkenazim) @ 11.8 cM is a 23andme kit that starts with 2 letters being compared to my MH kit and we only share 233 SNPs

rober_tce
10-05-2019, 04:30 AM
I'm not really sure how I'm related to that match anyways, but how do you tell old from new format? Is it just the letters?

As for the triangulation group, on Gedmatch that group contains Sephardic and South American/Spanish matches. I didn't save the south american kit numbers back when I had tier 1 but here are some of the Sephardic ones:
9.7 cM - 831 SNPs
9.9 cM - 1,082 SNPs
9.4 cM - 701 SNPs
8.8 cM - 979 SNPs

The full Ashkenazi match (not in the triangulation group as it has no Ashkenazim) @ 11.8 cM is a 23andme kit that starts with 2 letters being compared to my MH kit and we only share 233 SNPs

The old format have a letter and six numbers, and the newest one have two letters and seven numbers.

Of the list, the best matches are 9.9 cM and 8.8 cM, their SNPs are acceptables. The first of 9.7 cM is acceptable and the third of 9.4 cM have less SNPs but could be good, although it should have more of them. The best of them is one that have 9.9 cM. These have older format?

The Ashkenazi kit is a false match, look at their SNPs shared, only 233 SNPs for 11.8 cM. This kit have the new format (two letters and seven numbers); I have three similar false matches with 14.2-12.1-11.7 cM and 240 SNPs.

andyouare
10-05-2019, 07:14 PM
The old format have a letter and six numbers, and the newest one have two letters and seven numbers.

Of the list, the best matches are 9.9 cM and 8.8 cM, their SNPs are acceptables. The first of 9.7 cM is acceptable and the third of 9.4 cM have less SNPs but could be good, although it should have more of them. The best of them is one that have 9.9 cM. These have older format?

The Ashkenazi kit is a false match, look at their SNPs shared, only 233 SNPs for 11.8 cM. This kit have the new format (two letters and seven numbers); I have three similar false matches with 14.2-12.1-11.7 cM and 240 SNPs.

Yup these start with 1 letter

rober_tce
10-07-2019, 09:58 PM
Yup these start with 1 letter

This is good, and if they triangulate between them and with you, surely are real matches.

andyouare
10-13-2019, 09:13 PM
This is good, and if they triangulate between them and with you, surely are real matches.

Yea, it seems so. I'm very curious about my y-dna. The Morley predictor it still using the 2013 tree and my subclade doesn't even exist in the current tree.

andyouare
10-13-2019, 11:54 PM
A couple other close matches I forgot about, no idea if relevant but interesting nonetheless:

I have a Turkish (90% west asian, 10% north/west european, Turkish last name) match that I share a 22.7 cM segment with. We have another common Turkish (10.4 cM segment) match and we all share a triangulated segment. I have a few other matches with Turkish surnames as well.

Greek (Greek last names, 88,7% Greek/south italian, 10,5% Iberian) match (18,9‎ cM total, 11.8 cM segment)

josh w.
10-14-2019, 02:15 PM

There is a problem with triangulation on Gedmatch. It is unlikely that Sephardic matches at a low threshold calculator such as Ftdna's FF will ever appear at Gedmatch which is high threshold.

rober_tce
10-14-2019, 04:21 PM
A couple other close matches I forgot about, no idea if relevant but interesting nonetheless:

I have a Turkish (90% west asian, 10% north/west european, Turkish last name) match that I share a 22.7 cM segment with. We have another common Turkish (10.4 cM segment) match and we all share a triangulated segment. I have a few other matches with Turkish surnames as well.

Greek (Greek last names, 88,7% Greek/south italian, 10,5% Iberian) match (18,9‎ cM total, 11.8 cM segment)

If these turkish and greek matches triangulate in a same segment with jewish matches, they could be related.

andyouare
10-14-2019, 05:01 PM

So the 24.2 cM match told me they're half Arab half Ashkenazi. Are the common matches any indication of how we're related or could it still be the non-Jewish side that we relate on despite having mostly Jewish and European common matches?

There is a problem with triangulation on Gedmatch. It is unlikely that Sephardic matches at a low threshold calculator such as Ftdna's FF will ever appear at Gedmatch which is high threshold.

I can't verify this as I have no way of knowing if the MH/FTDNA matches just didn't upload to Gedmatch

If these turkish and greek matches triangulate in a same segment with jewish matches, they could be related.

On MH the Turkish matches just triangulate with other Turkish matches. 22.7 cM is pretty recent though so it sounds odd.

rober_tce
10-14-2019, 05:08 PM
On MH the Turkish matches just triangulate with other Turkish matches. 22.7 cM is pretty recent though so it sounds odd.

Maybe this match is related with your levantine genetic.

andyouare
10-16-2019, 10:26 AM
Maybe this match is related with your levantine genetic.

Of the 12 matches with Turkish last names (133 matches total), only one has matches with non-Turkish surnames in common. The ethnicity estimate for the Turkish match: West Asian 62,2%, Middle Eastern 28,9%, North Africa 6%, South European 2.9% (8.9 cM). It triangulates with the following 2 matches separately (even though we all match on the same segment, MH being weird again?):

Arabic surname (10.9 cM), ethnicities:
North-West European 37,4%
Middle Eastern 23,3%
South European 13.4% (11.7% Iberian)
West Asian 9.8%
Ashkenazi 9.1%
East European 6%
Mesoamerican 1%

Spanish/Italian surname (15.6 cM - 8.2 cM segment):
Ashkenazi 30,8%
South European 25.6% (10,5% Greek/South Italian, 15.1% Italian)
Mizrahi 15.6%
Middle Eastern 15.4%
Sephardic 12.6%

rober_tce
10-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Of the 12 matches with Turkish last names (133 matches total), only one has matches with non-Turkish surnames in common. The ethnicity estimate for the Turkish match: West Asian 62,2%, Middle Eastern 28,9%, North Africa 6%, South European 2.9% (8.9 cM). It triangulates with the following 2 matches separately (even though we all match on the same segment, MH being weird again?):

Middle Eastern 23,3%
West Asian 9.8%
Ashkenazi 9.1%
East European 6%
Mesoamerican 1%

Ashkenazi 30,8%
Mizrahi 15.6%
Middle Eastern 15.4%
Sephardic 12.6%

I have also matches with whom triangulate separately in My Heritage. However, in GEDmatch all real matches of a segment triangulate between them and with me. I don't know if this is a defect in MH's triangulation tool, the truth is that I find it weird.

StillWater
10-16-2019, 11:34 AM

Middle Eastern 23,3%
West Asian 9.8%
Ashkenazi 9.1%
East European 6%
Mesoamerican 1%

Ashkenazi 30,8%
Mizrahi 15.6%
Middle Eastern 15.4%
Sephardic 12.6%

Second one looks Jewish. I'm guessing he's Eastern Sephardic.

andyouare
10-17-2019, 07:05 PM
I have also matches with whom triangulate separately in My Heritage. However, in GEDmatch all real matches of a segment triangulate between them and with me. I don't know if this is a defect in MH's triangulation tool, the truth is that I find it weird.

Looks like with all the new information I have there's no way around forking out another 10$ for the triangulation tool. Would be interesting to discover more Turkish matches and see who they triangulate with.

Second one looks Jewish. I'm guessing he's Eastern Sephardic.

Does a larger segment necessarily mean a more recent ancestor when compared to another match with the same total cM? For example Match A: 20 cM segment, Match B: 20 cM total divided over 2+ segments (assuming none of the segments are IBS)?

Would it be something out of the ordinary for someone Eastern Sephardic to have Turkish ancestry?

edit Okay that doesn't seem to be the case ^ Gedmatch shows 4 other triangulated matches on that segment and their oracles are a mixture of South European/Levantine/Jewish

andyouare
01-15-2020, 11:17 PM
Hi again, I got my 111-marker results from FTDNA today: I was just assigned J-M172. On nevgen.org I get J2a1 Z6046. I only got one 12 marker match, genetic distance 1. I guess no surprise since I only got 50 matches on Family Finder. The match is Ashkenazi, but he got the Y-37 test. Does it mean it's a false match, since we only match at the 12 markers level?
Under 'Ancestral Origins' it says I have 1 match each from Belarus and Romania and 2 from Germany with the comment 'Ashkenazi (1)'. All are 12 markers/genetic distance 1.

Would you say this confirms anything or am I out 200$ and none the wiser?

StillWater
01-16-2020, 12:19 AM
Hi again, I got my 111-marker results from FTDNA today: I was just assigned J-M172. On nevgen.org I get J2a1 Z6046. I only got one 12 marker match, genetic distance 1. I guess no surprise since I only got 50 matches on Family Finder. The match is Ashkenazi, but he got the Y-37 test. Does it mean it's a false match, since we only match at the 12 markers level?
Under 'Ancestral Origins' it says I have 1 match each from Belarus and Romania and 2 from Germany with the comment 'Ashkenazi (1)'. All are 12 markers/genetic distance 1.

Would you say this confirms anything or am I out 200$ and none the wiser?

Surely you can get a deeper clade than that? If not, then it should be fairly inexpensive and straightforward to isolate a deeper clade by testing for individual SNPs.
The match from Belarus is Jewish and the one from Romania is most likely Jewish as well. There are 2 (maybe only 1) Jewish sublcades under Z6406, one belonging to the founder of Chassidism.

andyouare
01-16-2020, 12:44 AM
Surely you can get a deeper clade than that? If not, then it should be fairly inexpensive and straightforward to isolate a deeper clade by testing for individual SNPs.
The match from Belarus is Jewish and the one from Romania is most likely Jewish as well. There are 2 (maybe only 1) Jewish sublcades under Z6406, one belonging to the founder of Chassidism.

What SNPs do you think I should test for? Also, excuse my ignorance on the subject, but would there be anything unusual in belonging to an Ashkenazi subclade if my closest Jewish matches are Sephardic?

edit: I guess the J2-M172 Superclade Panel for 99$ at Yseq is the best option?

hartaisarlag
01-16-2020, 02:18 AM

Highly recommend YSEQ for this purpose! If all I had to work with were the single full-price test Iíve taken (2011-vintage 23andMe), Iíd be stuck at E-M34. As StillWater says, there arenít many possibilities in this case, and testing any one of them would cost you ~$20.

andyouare
01-17-2020, 11:22 AM
Highly recommend YSEQ for this purpose! If all I had to work with were the single full-price test I’ve taken (2011-vintage 23andMe), I’d be stuck at E-M34. As StillWater says, there aren’t many possibilities in this case, and testing any one of them would cost you ~$20.

I'm a bit confused by the tree on their site as it doesn't correspond with https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Z6046/
z6048 is under z6046 and L26 there but not on YSEQ (J2-M172 Tree (https://www.yseq.net/images/trees/J2-M172_tree.pdf?date=2020-01-15))
https://i.imgur.com/wETisdh.png

In the meantime I got another Ashkenazi 12 marker match from Eastern Europe, but again distance is 1 and he got Y37

curiousDNAguy12
03-07-2020, 01:33 AM
I think it might be very obvious if your family married converso ancestors and were maybe Syrian sephardic jews based more on the matches. I was looking at my matches before and I have a bunch of triangulated matches from Mexico, Tunisia (Jewish), Portugal, and Turkey (Jewish) on the same segments. Some Tunisian matches on my heritage (that seem to be part algerian, part tunisian) who are ~90% Sephardic. Turkish Jews don't get anywhere near that, and they are most descended from the original iberian communities because they actually spoke ladino. I'm guessing at least it's the same for Syrian jews in the levantine area who won't score high sephardic percentages because they're far away from what the north african sample would be and in general was less descended from the original iberian communities, in many case more culturally infliuenced.

andyouare
03-07-2020, 10:15 PM
I think it might be very obvious if your family married converso ancestors and were maybe Syrian sephardic jews based more on the matches. I was looking at my matches before and I have a bunch of triangulated matches from Mexico, Tunisia (Jewish), Portugal, and Turkey (Jewish) on the same segments. Some Tunisian matches on my heritage (that seem to be part algerian, part tunisian) who are ~90% Sephardic. Turkish Jews don't get anywhere near that, and they are most descended from the original iberian communities because they actually spoke ladino. I'm guessing at least it's the same for Syrian jews in the levantine area who won't score high sephardic percentages because they're far away from what the north african sample would be and in general was less descended from the original iberian communities, in many case more culturally infliuenced.

How would it be obvious?

Do you get any Iberian/Mesoamerican/Sephardic in your results? I recently got a match that I share a 25 cM segment with but we have no common ethnicities. They're 20% Iberian with the rest north/west european. It seems totally possible to have relatively recent ancestry that's not at all reflected in your autosomal results.

I recently ordered a Big-Y test. Will definitely be interesting to see the results. I was told in the J2 group that I'm probably not in the Ashkenazi cluster but in a subbranch.

StillWater
03-07-2020, 11:28 PM
How would it be obvious?

Do you get any Iberian/Mesoamerican/Sephardic in your results? I recently got a match that I share a 25 cM segment with but we have no common ethnicities. They're 20% Iberian with the rest north/west european. It seems totally possible to have relatively recent ancestry that's not at all reflected in your autosomal results.

I recently ordered a Big-Y test. Will definitely be interesting to see the results. I was told in the J2 group that I'm probably not in the Ashkenazi cluster but in a subbranch.

What's the deepest subbranch you have right now?

andyouare
03-07-2020, 11:35 PM
What's the deepest subbranch you have right now?

From what I understand, J-Z43525 sometime 11200-1350 ybp (pending Big-Y results), and there's a Romanian Ashkenazi that also isn't in Y36257. The distance between us is less than to M4232.

curiousDNAguy12
03-08-2020, 02:19 AM
How would it be obvious?

Meant that Syrian Sephardic Jews tend to get lower on the "Sephardic Jewish" category, but it still shows, so it would probably appear in your cousins matches's results. Do they show Sephardic jewish in their results at all? Can you sort them?

I do get Iberian+Sephardic+West Asian+Ashkenazi in my results, but not mesoamerican (i'm jewish, but I get cousin matches from mexico with this category). Usually there's an ethnicity shared, like Iberian (I have 2-3%, but my mom got 10%), but agree that it's entirely possible it's not showing autosomally for your matches.

andyouare
03-08-2020, 10:52 AM
Meant that Syrian Sephardic Jews tend to get lower on the "Sephardic Jewish" category, but it still shows, so it would probably appear in your cousins matches's results. Do they show Sephardic jewish in their results at all? Can you sort them?

I do get Iberian+Sephardic+West Asian+Ashkenazi in my results, but not mesoamerican (i'm jewish, but I get cousin matches from mexico with this category). Usually there's an ethnicity shared, like Iberian (I have 2-3%, but my mom got 10%), but agree that it's entirely possible it's not showing autosomally for your matches.

I've yet to run into a match that strikes me as descending from Syrian Jews, nor have I ever seen what Syrian Jewish results look like. The MDLP calc developer told me his Syrian Jewish sample is from a Behar et al. 2011 paper but I couldn't find it anywhere. There's 2 Lebanese Jewish MH results on YouTube though (both under 50 sephardic) and they posted one MDLP 23b result. Not sure how similar Lebanese and Syrian Jew are but the results suggest they are:
# Population Percent
1 Caucasian 40
2 Near_East 17.65
3 European_Early_Farmers 15.74
4 South_Central_Asian 9.81
5 North_African 7.63
6 East_African 2.16
7 South_East_Asian 1.68
8 Khoisan 1.35
9 East_Siberian 1.2
10 Subsaharian 1.16
11 South_Indian 0.93
12 European_Hunters_Gatherers 0.38
13 Australoid 0.27
14 Austronesian 0.06

1 Syrian_Jew ( ) 3.97
2 Lebanese_Muslim ( ) 7.43
3 Lebanese ( ) 7.53
4 Cretan ( ) 8.13
5 Samaritian ( ) 9.51
6 Turk_Jew ( ) 10.17
7 Sephardic_Jew ( ) 10.67
8 Turk_Balikesir ( ) 10.7
9 Cypriot ( ) 10.84
10 Italian_Jew ( ) 11
11 Turk_Adana ( ) 11.36
12 Greek_Smyrna ( ) 11.39
13 Greek_Macedonia ( ) 11.64
14 Romanian_Jew ( ) 11.64
15 Iraqi_Chaldean ( ) 11.81
16 Greek ( ) 11.98
17 Sicilian_East ( ) 12
18 Turk_Aydin ( ) 12.18
19 French_Jew ( ) 12.21
20 Palestinian ( ) 12.25

Notice that Moroccan and Tunisian Jew aren't even in the top 20

My closest Jewish autosomal matches recent ancestors seem to be overwhelmingly North African Jewish. I'm not sure you got me correctly though, I meant that my matches get Iberian/Sephardic but I don't.

curiousDNAguy12
03-08-2020, 01:16 PM
I've yet to run into a match that strikes me as descending from Syrian Jews, nor have I ever seen what Syrian Jewish results look like. The MDLP calc developer told me his Syrian Jewish sample is from a Behar et al. 2011 paper but I couldn't find it anywhere. There's 2 Lebanese Jewish MH results on YouTube though (both under 50 sephardic) and they posted one MDLP 23b result. Not sure how similar Lebanese and Syrian Jew are but the results suggest they are:
# Population Percent
1 Caucasian 40
2 Near_East 17.65
3 European_Early_Farmers 15.74
4 South_Central_Asian 9.81
5 North_African 7.63
6 East_African 2.16
7 South_East_Asian 1.68
8 Khoisan 1.35
9 East_Siberian 1.2
10 Subsaharian 1.16
11 South_Indian 0.93
12 European_Hunters_Gatherers 0.38
13 Australoid 0.27
14 Austronesian 0.06

1 Syrian_Jew ( ) 3.97
2 Lebanese_Muslim ( ) 7.43
3 Lebanese ( ) 7.53
4 Cretan ( ) 8.13
5 Samaritian ( ) 9.51
6 Turk_Jew ( ) 10.17
7 Sephardic_Jew ( ) 10.67
8 Turk_Balikesir ( ) 10.7
9 Cypriot ( ) 10.84
10 Italian_Jew ( ) 11
11 Turk_Adana ( ) 11.36
12 Greek_Smyrna ( ) 11.39
13 Greek_Macedonia ( ) 11.64
14 Romanian_Jew ( ) 11.64
15 Iraqi_Chaldean ( ) 11.81
16 Greek ( ) 11.98
17 Sicilian_East ( ) 12
18 Turk_Aydin ( ) 12.18
19 French_Jew ( ) 12.21
20 Palestinian ( ) 12.25

Notice that Moroccan and Tunisian Jew aren't even in the top 20

My closest Jewish autosomal matches recent ancestors seem to be overwhelmingly North African Jewish. I'm not sure you got me correctly though, I meant that my matches get Iberian/Sephardic but I don't.

OK so by results you meant cousin matches' results? I share at least one ethnicity with a lot of these cousin results. Lots of them have the mesoamerican category but there's always some iberian, but some are straight up iberian from portugal or spain.

Either way, there's no real convincing argument here; i'd not read much into this.

StillWater
04-02-2020, 11:00 PM
From what I understand, J-Z43525 sometime 11200-1350 ybp (pending Big-Y results), and there's a Romanian Ashkenazi that also isn't in Y36257. The distance between us is less than to M4232.

Hey man, did you ever end up getting your Big Y results?

andyouare
04-04-2020, 04:36 PM
Hey man, did you ever end up getting your Big Y results?

It's taking a while unfortunately. Projected date is late May.

Alexander87
04-08-2020, 07:24 PM
What town in Israel are you from?

andyouare
04-26-2020, 08:11 PM
Preliminary YFull results are up. I am J-Y36257 atm. Age estimation in progress.

coffeeprince
04-26-2020, 08:18 PM
Nice, you received it one month early.

hartaisarlag
04-26-2020, 08:42 PM
Preliminary YFull results are up. I am J-Y36257 atm. Age estimation in progress.

Whoa. This is big. Depending on the age estimate, could either point to a Diaspora Jew who came back to, say, Ottoman-era Palestine - or some earlier classical-era split between Jews who stayed home (and later converted) and Jews who left.

andyouare
04-26-2020, 08:52 PM
Whoa. This is big. Depending on the age estimate, could either point to a Diaspora Jew who came back to, say, Ottoman-era Palestine - or some earlier classical-era split between Jews who stayed home (and later converted) and Jews who left.

From what I understand the tmrca could be anywhere from 1350-11200 ypb though pending results. Do the shared SNPs with the clade members give any indication of that or will I just have to wait for the estimate?

hartaisarlag
04-26-2020, 08:54 PM
From what I understand the tmrca could be anywhere from 1350-11200 ypb though pending results. Do the shared SNPs with the clade members give any indication of that or will I just have to wait for the estimate?

I'm assuming you're represented by the Syrian flag at J-Z43500 on FTDNA's tree? Does your male-line ancestry go back to Syria, or is it Palestinian as far back as you know?

Also, any STR matches?

andyouare
04-26-2020, 09:05 PM
I'm assuming you're represented by the Syrian flag at J-Z43500 on FTDNA's tree? Does your male-line ancestry go back to Syria, or is it Palestinian as far back as you know?

Also, any STR matches?

I don't have a paper trail to Syria, but some oral history stating that plus the sources with the family name made it my best guess

No STR matches as I've only done a VCF upload.

andyouare
04-27-2020, 01:14 PM
Project administrator estimates our MRCA to be around 750 BC (1000-500)

hartaisarlag
04-27-2020, 05:48 PM
Project administrator estimates our MRCA to be around 750 BC (1000-500)

Which project is this? The estimates I've seen calculated out there seem to be a lot more recent, but I'd like to hear his logic.

andyouare
04-27-2020, 06:01 PM
Which project is this? The estimates I've seen calculated out there seem to be a lot more recent, but I'd like to hear his logic.

Jewish DNA group on Yfull. What estimates are you referring to?

I was told there are 14 markers in the Ashkenazi branch that aren't in mine, and 14*82 = my branch is 1350 years before the Ashkenazi branch = 500 BC, 750 if corrected by a factor of 1.1

hartaisarlag
04-27-2020, 07:19 PM
Jewish DNA group on Yfull. What estimates are you referring to?

I was told there are 14 markers in the Ashkenazi branch that aren't in mine, and 14*82 = my branch is 1350 years before the Ashkenazi branch = 500 BC, 750 if corrected by a factor of 1.1

We'll have to wait and see which SNPs YFull considers high-quality. But that said, a TMRCA that early (even a few hundred years more recent) would be a huge deal. To my knowledge, there is only one other Jewish branch of any significance (albeit a smaller one than yours) which has a clear structural connection to Palestinians within the last 3,000 years. I expect others to emerge as more ethnic Palestinians test.

sdrucker
05-04-2020, 11:02 PM
We'll have to wait and see which SNPs YFull considers high-quality. But that said, a TMRCA that early (even a few hundred years more recent) would be a huge deal. To my knowledge, there is only one other Jewish branch of any significance (albeit a smaller one than yours) which has a clear structural connection to Palestinians within the last 3,000 years. I expect others to emerge as more ethnic Palestinians test.

...and my Mexican American haplomate and I still are trying to figure out just where we diverged given that we're both J-ZS2616. We're downstream from ZS2622 with two Palestinians. We're TMRCA of 2100 ybp from them, if I'm reading YFull right. Need...more...data...

hartaisarlag
05-04-2020, 11:07 PM
...and my Mexican American haplomate and I still are trying to figure out just where we diverged given that we're both J-ZS2616. We're downstream from ZS2622 with two Palestinians. We're TMRCA of 2100 ybp from them, if I'm reading YFull right. Need...more...data...

I think J-ZS2616 (you, the Mexican, and the other Ashkenazim) shares a 2100 ybp TMRCA with the Tunisian Jew at J-ZS2597*; you all share a TMRCA of 2900 ybp with the Jerusalem Palestinian (the two kits look like they're the same individual). More data will be great, but your branch is already off to an uncommonly good start.

andyouare
05-18-2020, 12:32 PM

The Palestinian in ZS2622 traces his lineage to this man in the 11th century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Qadir_Gilani

Also anyone have an idea how long age estimation usually takes?

hartaisarlag
05-18-2020, 03:22 PM
The Palestinian in ZS2622 traces his lineage to this man in the 11th century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Qadir_Gilani

Also anyone have an idea how long age estimation usually takes?

Interesting. Are other members in the group (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Al-Abd-al-Qadir-al-Gilani?iframe=yresults), in the other branches, claimed descendants of Abdul Qadir Gilani?

It's also mentioned elsewhere that tradition has it that Abdul Qadir Jilani was a sayyidóbut the sayyid branch of J1 (which has a very close Ashkenazi cousin) is an entirely different one.

Can't say re: age estimationóthings seem to have changed in YFull. More frequent mini-updates. I would say not too long, though.

andyouare
05-18-2020, 07:11 PM
Interesting. Are other members in the group (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Al-Abd-al-Qadir-al-Gilani?iframe=yresults), in the other branches, claimed descendants of Abdul Qadir Gilani?

It's also mentioned elsewhere that tradition has it that Abdul Qadir Jilani was a sayyid—but the sayyid branch of J1 (which has a very close Ashkenazi cousin) is an entirely different one.

Can't say re: age estimation—things seem to have changed in YFull. More frequent mini-updates. I would say not too long, though.

It seems so. Not necessarily by blood, despite the last name. Some 'affiliate' with a family for whatever reasons. In this case my guess would be some adopted his last name when he converted them (he's apparently known for having converted many Jews and Christians).

On YFull I can see that 4 SNPs in the combBED region won't be used (so far?), so yea seems to be updating bit by bit.

andyouare
06-02-2020, 04:53 PM
Age estimation is complete (?) and TMRCA for Y36257 is now 3300 ybp

hartaisarlag
06-04-2020, 02:40 PM
Age estimation is complete (?) and TMRCA for Y36257 is now 3300 ybp

Not saying this rules out any of the possibilities we discussed, but the earlier TMRCA makes a recent Jewish origin *seem* less likely. I was definitely expecting something a bit more recent. Either way, your test is helping history to be written.