PDA

View Full Version : My Heritage DNA Match List Limitations - Much Less than Ancestry or 23andMe

mxcrowe
09-29-2019, 11:52 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something, but is My Heritage much more limited than the other services when you pay for a DNA test? We paid to have my wife's grandfather tested and just received his results, but if I click on any of his DNA matches, it won't show me family trees, shared matches, ancestral places, etc. without paying for a subscription. Seriously? I can see shared match information just fine on 23andMe after paying for the DNA test and if I remember correctly, I could see quite a bit of information regarding shared matches on Ancestry before I bought a subscription. Is this their new policy? You simply can't see anything useful about shared matches unless you pay for a monthly subscription, which adds another $99 to what you already paid for the DNA test? If that's the case, I will be strongly steering people away from My Heritage and frankly wish I had my money back on the test I just paid for. The way it looks now, My Heritage is almost useless.

daragon39
10-02-2019, 12:46 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something, but is My Heritage much more limited than the other services when you pay for a DNA test? We paid to have my wife's grandfather tested and just received his results, but if I click on any of his DNA matches, it won't show me family trees, shared matches, ancestral places, etc. without paying for a subscription. Seriously? I can see shared match information just fine on 23andMe after paying for the DNA test and if I remember correctly, I could see quite a bit of information regarding shared matches on Ancestry before I bought a subscription. Is this their new policy? You simply can't see anything useful about shared matches unless you pay for a monthly subscription, which adds another $99 to what you already paid for the DNA test? If that's the case, I will be strongly steering people away from My Heritage and frankly wish I had my money back on the test I just paid for. The way it looks now, My Heritage is almost useless.

I am not sure you even know what you're talking about or you can't figure out where to look for the info you seek? MyHeritage does show you a basic pedigree tree just like Ancestry does without a subscription. It also shows you shared matches, ancestral places etc. In fact they show you more than Ancestry does like showing you what segments on chromosomes you share DNA with your matches. And if you do decide to get a subscription, MyHeritage is much cheaper than Ancestry. If you're looking to see a full family tree without a subscription, good luck with that, neither Ancestry or MyHeritage lets you see the entire tree of your matches without a subscription.

mxcrowe
10-05-2019, 07:47 PM
I am not sure you even know what you're talking about or you can't figure out where to look for the info you seek?

I'll try to respond not quite as unpleasantly...

But yes, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about; however, to remain within the realm of facts, I logged into each one of my accounts and assayed precisely what was provided and what was *not* provided. As my wife has tested with Ancestry but not subscribed, I was able to test Ancestry without a subscription. Note that the cost to test at each company varies depending on prevailing promotions - I have listed what I paid. Note further that the "feature set" provided by each company is subject to change - I tested with Ancestry 18 months ago, but most recently paid for the test at My Heritage, so what you see for your subscription may not be the same as what someone who has more recently paid for a DNA test will see. Again, I logged into each account within the past 30 minutes, and this is what is provided from each vendor for me:

23andMe (paid for test/no subscription): DNA Matches; ancestral locations (if provided by match); link to family tree (if provided by match); comparative ethnicity; maternal and paternal haplogroups; shared DNA match summary; shared match group for each DNA match, including indications for triangulation; chromosome browser; messaging system. (Total cost: $50)

Ancestry (paid for test/no subscription): DNA Matches; ancestral locations; preview of family tree (5 generations); common ancestors; common tree surnames; comparative ethnicity (with map); shared match group for each DNA match; shared DNA match summary; limited messaging system. (Total cost: $59)

Family Tree DNA (uploaded kit/no subscription/unlocked): DNA Matches; ancestral locations (if provided by match); family tree; maternal and paternal haplogroups (if tested); ancestral surnames (if provided by match); shared DNA match summary; shared match group for each DNA match (ICW); chromosome browser; email address (if provided by match). (Total cost: $19)

My Heritage (paid for test/no subscription): DNA Matches; shared DNA match summary; ancestral surnames (if provided by match); chromosome browser; messaging system. (Total cost: $75, overseas test)

NOT provided by My Heritage without a subscription (min $99/yr): ancestral locations; shared match group for each DNA match (one previewed); family tree (match and parents previewed); comparative ethnicity (one location previewed).

To be clear, for each of the features *NOT* provided by My Heritage, it takes me to the yearly subscription page, even though I have paid for a DNA test. Thus, as it sits, My Heritage is far and away the least useful and the most expensive of the four GG services I have paid for. In fact, without the shared DNA match group and access to their family trees, My Heritage is extremely limited, and I'm very unlikely to pay $99 every year to get access to the missing elements. I already have a paid subscription at Ancestry and would prefer not to incur another yearly fee, for now. I have contacted My Heritage about this and they told me very clearly that to access those elements, I would need to pay the yearly subscription. When I pointed out that their competitors provided those elements as part of the test cost, the rep said: "We are *not* those companies!".

daragon39
10-05-2019, 08:08 PM
I'll try to respond not quite as unpleasantly...

But yes, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about; however, to remain within the realm of facts, I logged into each one of my accounts and assayed precisely what was provided and what was *not* provided. As my wife has tested with Ancestry but not subscribed, I was able to test Ancestry without a subscription. Note that the cost to test at each company varies depending on prevailing promotions - I have listed what I paid. Note further that the "feature set" provided by each company is subject to change - I tested with Ancestry 18 months ago, but most recently paid for the test at My Heritage, so what you see for your subscription may not be the same as what someone who has more recently paid for a DNA test will see. Again, I logged into each account within the past 30 minutes, and this is what is provided from each vendor for me:

23andMe (paid for test/no subscription): DNA Matches; ancestral locations (if provided by match); link to family tree (if provided by match); comparative ethnicity; maternal and paternal haplogroups; shared DNA match summary; shared match group for each DNA match, including indications for triangulation; chromosome browser; messaging system. (Total cost: $50)

Ancestry (paid for test/no subscription): DNA Matches; ancestral locations; preview of family tree (5 generations); common ancestors; common tree surnames; comparative ethnicity (with map); shared match group for each DNA match; shared DNA match summary; limited messaging system. (Total cost: $59)

Family Tree DNA (uploaded kit/no subscription/unlocked): DNA Matches; ancestral locations (if provided by match); family tree; maternal and paternal haplogroups (if tested); ancestral surnames (if provided by match); shared DNA match summary; shared match group for each DNA match (ICW); chromosome browser; email address (if provided by match). (Total cost: $19)

My Heritage (paid for test/no subscription): DNA Matches; shared DNA match summary; ancestral surnames (if provided by match); chromosome browser; messaging system. (Total cost: $75, overseas test)

NOT provided by My Heritage without a subscription (min $99/yr): ancestral locations; shared match group for each DNA match (one previewed); family tree (match and parents previewed); comparative ethnicity (one location previewed).

To be clear, for each of the features *NOT* provided by My Heritage, it takes me to the yearly subscription page, even though I have paid for a DNA test. Thus, as it sits, My Heritage is far and away the least useful and the most expensive of the four GG services I have paid for. In fact, without the shared DNA match group and access to their family trees, My Heritage is extremely limited, and I'm very unlikely to pay $99 every year to get access to the missing elements. I already have a paid subscription at Ancestry and would prefer not to incur another yearly fee, for now. I have contacted My Heritage about this and they told me very clearly that to access those elements, I would need to pay the yearly subscription. When I pointed out that their competitors provided those elements as part of the test cost, the rep said: "We are *not* those companies!".

Weird cause when I had no subscription on MyHeritage a week ago I actually had Ancestral locations, Shared match group for each DNA match(unlimited), Family tree (5 Generation pedigree), comparative ethnicity (All shared).
The only thing that changed when I upgraded to a complete subscription was I gained complete access to family trees on MyHeritage beyond the 5 generations and access to Documents and sources.
I dunno I found it to be the least limited compared to Ancestry.

mxcrowe
10-05-2019, 08:38 PM
Weird cause when I had no subscription on MyHeritage a week ago I actually had Ancestral locations, Shared match group for each DNA match(unlimited), Family tree (5 Generation pedigree), comparative ethnicity (All shared)...

My guess is that My Heritage has changed their rules. My own account there, with uploaded kits only (no paid tests) gives me access to much more than my recent paid test. If I'd known they were going to pull this stunt, I wouldn't have tested with them for this most recent kit, and I absolutely will not be recommending them to anyone who asks me about who they should test with (something that happens frequently). If this is their new policy, they are at the bottom of my list.

daragon39
10-07-2019, 02:38 PM
My guess is that My Heritage has changed their rules. My own account there, with uploaded kits only (no paid tests) gives me access to much more than my recent paid test. If I'd known they were going to pull this stunt, I wouldn't have tested with them for this most recent kit, and I absolutely will not be recommending them to anyone who asks me about who they should test with (something that happens frequently). If this is their new policy, they are at the bottom of my list.

It maybe something they allowed for all beta testers. I started with them back when they first opened their DNA services so that maybe where the difference lies. Personally I would recommend them for people who wants to research their family tree and DNA together. Their triangulation tools, chromosome comparison etc are great. But if someone wants just DNA ethnicity 23andMe is probably the best way to go.

mxcrowe
10-07-2019, 05:05 PM
My personal priorities are, in order: genetic genealogy, Y-DNA, admix calculators (ethnicity), and medical information/traits dead last. Accordingly, based on cost to access these things and their functionality I would recommend, in order: Ancestry.com, GEDMatch, 23andMe, Family Tree DNA, and My Heritage dead last. Look, as they are currently running their programs, if I want to access all those features for, say, five years, all the other costs I listed above (assuming no Ancestry subscription) would not change, but the My Heritage cost would be $579!! I mean, it's not even a close comparison.

Unless My Heritage reverses this policy change, I will not recommend them to anyone.

daragon39
10-07-2019, 07:00 PM
My personal priorities are, in order: genetic genealogy, Y-DNA, admix calculators (ethnicity), and medical information/traits dead last. Accordingly, based on cost to access these things and their functionality I would recommend, in order: Ancestry.com, GEDMatch, 23andMe, Family Tree DNA, and My Heritage dead last. Look, as they are currently running their programs, if I want to access all those features for, say, five years, all the other costs I listed above (assuming no Ancestry subscription) would not change, but the My Heritage cost would be $579!! I mean, it's not even a close comparison.

Unless My Heritage reverses this policy change, I will not recommend them to anyone.

To each their own. I personally view the MyHeritage subscription to be well worth especially since you can always get discounts on it. When I just opened my subscription I only paid about $75 for a 1 year complete subscription. I actually just deleted all my information and DNA kits on Ancestry, mostly due to privacy concerns and them selling your genetic data and tree info to insurance companies. Whereas the TOS and Privacy policy for MyHeritage seems designed to protect your data from this kind of thing. Admittedly that could change in the future in which case I wouldn't use them anymore. But if you want to see the policy change reversed why not email [email protected] and give them feedback? They do listen to people who voice their concerns unlike Ancestry.