PDA

View Full Version : Does an FMS match mean we have a common maternal ancestor?

Stone Meadow
10-07-2019, 10:25 PM
While I'm saving for the holiday FTDNA sale I have a question about full mtdna matches: Just as the title asks, if i find one or more complete FMS matches (HVR1, HVR2, and CR) is that definitive proof we have a common maternal line ancestor? TIA

Jenny
10-08-2019, 06:23 AM
I think yes, but it could be eons in the past and before recorded history

C J Wyatt III
10-08-2019, 07:17 AM
I think yes, but it could be eons in the past and before recorded history

I've only seen a few cases where the results gave a real clue for a close relationship. It is good information to have if you can afford the test, but don't let your expectations get too big.

Stone Meadow
10-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Thank you for the replies. I could not find the answer prior to asking the question here, but last night dug into FTDNA's FAQs and came up with this page (https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/mtdna-testing/tell-closeness-relationship/), which gives a 95% chance of a common maternal ancestor within 550 years for a FMS match. Thanks again!

Judith
10-18-2019, 02:36 PM
FTDNA has an alternative definition which you only see after you get your results. This alternative is consistent with the published scientific work which gives one mutation on average per hundred generations so roughly 2500yrs. But the mutation has to happen between generations so it could be recent but it could also be 5-10 thousand years ago. The spread is wide.

So yes you will be related, in the same continent (if Old World) but rarely in historical time even with zero difference on FMS. You may find your 0GD matches in the same country but that is rare.

Stone Meadow
10-18-2019, 08:31 PM
Thank you, Judith, for you insights. I have previously noted on this forum that I am interested in my maternal line. Not to be confused with my maternal-patrilineal line (tho I'm interested in that as well, and have centuries of data about it). Thus far I have made it back 9 generations of mother, grandmother, and great-grandmothers. All have what appear to be English, Scottish, or Irish looking surnames, and hence paternal heritages, but they all form one line of women, mother-to-daughter (with me being the exception, of course!)

I ran into a roadblock in 1720 that I have not been able to get around, so am diversifying my search from the paper trail to include FMS, where I am confident a perfect match is at least as strong a match as a perfect Y-chromosome match would be for a male antecedent. Anyway, I am eagerly awaiting FDNA putting their FMS on sale next month, so I can nail down my mt-Haplogroup with greater certainty.