PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else suffer from serious learning/listening deficits? How to solve it?

Censored
10-18-2019, 03:45 PM
I've been tested and apparently I don't have ADHD but I do show signs of hyperactivity which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Anyway, the issue I suffer from is that ever since I was young, I've had extreme difficulties paying attention particularly to verbal information. I tend to daydream and zone out but even when I attempt to pay attention, I miss a whole lot of what I'm supposed to hear. It's bad enough to be damaging to my social interactions. Does anyone else have this issue? How did you overcome it, if you did?

firemonkey
10-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Auditory processing disorder?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&ei=N-epXaKeKL2U1fAPi9Cp4AI&q=%22zone+out%22+%22auditory+processing+disorder%2 2&oq=%22zone+out%22+%22auditory+processing+disorder% 22&gs_l=psy-ab.12...7670.23475..26262...0.2..0.268.461.3j0j1.. ....0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.vkXk5bvUQdQ&ved=0ahUKEwjileSinKblAhU9ShUIHQtoCiwQ4dUDCAo

Censored
10-18-2019, 04:32 PM
Auditory processing disorder?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&ei=N-epXaKeKL2U1fAPi9Cp4AI&q=%22zone+out%22+%22auditory+processing+disorder%2 2&oq=%22zone+out%22+%22auditory+processing+disorder% 22&gs_l=psy-ab.12...7670.23475..26262...0.2..0.268.461.3j0j1.. ....0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.vkXk5bvUQdQ&ved=0ahUKEwjileSinKblAhU9ShUIHQtoCiwQ4dUDCAo

Nope, that description doesn't sound like me. I understand words perfectly fine. I just have a lot of difficulty with verbal information. I get insanely bored very fast and am absent minded af.

alan
10-18-2019, 06:26 PM
Nope, that description doesn't sound like me. I understand words perfectly fine. I just have a lot of difficulty with verbal information. I get insanely bored very fast and am absent minded af.

I can relate to that. I am not good at taking in verbal instruction/info. Especially if it’s something practical or multi step things I have to then repeat. I find book learning far easier and am much better at learning by working through a manual than watching and copying. I had awful concentration aged 5-12 which improved a lot as I reached puberty. I also have disgraphia which means I have hand writing like a 6 year old and poor spelling. My memory is an odd mix of good and bad. It was probably due to premature birth - I wasn’t expected to survive! However I found ways found that and got a degree. Luckily the computer age arrived in earnest when I was at uni (just in time) and do my hand writing was not such an issue. As a kid I think I was thought of as bright (b good analytical skills) but lazy which wasn’t the case. I do still have a tendency to zone out in convos but I think I get away with it as eccentricity! The male brain doesn’t fully mature till late 20s.

firemonkey
10-18-2019, 07:09 PM
I much prefer instructions written down than spoken to me. My handwriting at prep school was so bad I had to have handwriting lessons at 11-12 years old . Now I think my handwriting is legible ,but crudely formed. I'm a slow writer. If I try to write fast my handwriting significantly deteriorates.

oz
10-18-2019, 11:03 PM
Maybe it's some sort of an issue of subconscious lack of motivation?

Mandoos
10-18-2019, 11:13 PM
I get what you mean, listening to lectures at 2x usually keeps my mind from getting lost.

Censored
10-19-2019, 01:21 AM

Most certainly, that's part of it. Maybe even the main issue.

Censored
10-19-2019, 01:22 AM
I get what you mean, listening to lectures at 2x usually keeps my mind from getting lost.

How old are you?
I have to attend class physically :(

spruithean
10-19-2019, 02:47 AM
I much prefer instructions written down than spoken to me. My handwriting at prep school was so bad I had to have handwriting lessons at 11-12 years old . Now I think my handwriting is legible ,but crudely formed. I'm a slow writer. If I try to write fast my handwriting significantly deteriorates.

This is fairly common, if I'm writing at a normal pace my writing is clear and neat, when I have to write quickly it can either go in the direction of somewhat italicized and cursive or completely bonkers and almost impossible to read lol.

I find if I'm not feeling "it", my ability to pay attention and focus on the task at hand goes right out the door. I find that always happens if I've been focused on one topic for too long without a break. 2hr+ lectures can be mind-numbing.

Mandoos
10-19-2019, 02:55 AM
How old are you?
I have to attend class physically :(

Been out of uni couple of years ago but I still remember having to record lectures and play them back at twice the speed to retain info better. I think zoning out just happens when you dont have a good working memory, especially when you're just sitting there, so fast speaking gives me "less time" to forget what was registered. I don't recall having to do that now since I just have to concentrate on more applicable work..

Milkyway
10-20-2019, 12:10 AM
I'm not a good listener unless I'm really interested in the subject that's being discussed (which rarely happens). Most people don't care if I miss some information, but I have a friend that wants me to pay full attention to him. He doesn't like it if I can't remember something he explained to me a couple of days before; he gets mad and doesn't talk to me for a while. Therefore, I do my best to pay full attention to him and remember as much as I can. The only thing that works is to make the effort to find anything interesting/amusing/original in the conversation. Either this or fear (I had a boss that would yell at and even threaten me every time I missed a piece of information about something we had discussed previously).

doanhmarket
01-04-2021, 08:48 AM
use hearing aids, friend

mainer
05-31-2021, 09:05 AM
I don't think OP means they have trouble "hearing." OP can hear fine, but can't quite process what is heard. It's a fairly common feeling these days, a period some refer to as the Age of Distraction. Running helped me overcome my inability to concentrate: when you're running you're also practicing concentration. This is not far-fetched, even psychologists argue that learning to focus on sensation and perception is one way to improve one's ability to concentrate (See: Psychological Science (https://www.bartleby.com/textbooks/psychological-science-fifth-edition-5th-edition/9780393937497/solutions?chapter=5&section=5.1) - 5th ed). Of course, running can also be about letting your mind wander, but that is feasible only at slow speeds and on fun runs. Training runs, on the other hand, require a great deal of concentration. Beginner runners are now told to focus more closely when they are fatigued; that's how they can discern if they are slouching, breathing poorly, or doing something else poorly. When Joshua Cheptegei broke the world record for 5k track in August 2020, the commentators couldn't believe just how "concentrated and relaxed" he was throughout the run. Others described his running as "metronomic." In effect, his run was a demonstration of elite/supreme concentration. Running fast requires both relaxation and concentration. Kara Goucher, another brilliant elite runner, also stands out for her ability to focus and vouches that it is this ability that drives her more than anything else.

firemonkey
05-31-2021, 09:41 AM
https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/articles/do-you-think-better-when-you-re-moving

lana6765
05-31-2021, 11:16 AM
I've been tested and apparently I don't have ADHD but I do show signs of hyperactivity which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Anyway, the issue I suffer from is that ever since I was young, I've had extreme difficulties paying attention particularly to verbal information. I tend to daydream and zone out but even when I attempt to pay attention, I miss a whole lot of what I'm supposed to hear. It's bad enough to be damaging to my social interactions. Does anyone else have this issue? How did you overcome it, if you did?

I don’t know if what I’ve experienced is the same as you, but thought I’d bounce some ideas around in case you find it helpful. Or not.

I daydream a lot and tune out of conversations I’m not interested in. People have mentioned that I can seem a bit vacant or confused at times. I never struggled at school, enjoyed reading and writing and was decent at maths. I can stay focused for a long time if I need to or if it’s a subject I’m interested in.

It could just my personality. I know there’s a lot of criticism of MBTI, but the descriptions for INTP (or INFP) sound very similar to my personality.

Or possibly it could have something to do with anxiety. I have been officially diagnosed with anxiety disorder before. I often catastrophise and can become distracted, but I can also worry about being or seeming ‘abnormal’. When I spoke to my therapist about my tendency to daydream, she didn’t think it was abnormal at all.