PDA

View Full Version : 23andme relatives what do they indicate

Alanson
01-13-2014, 07:42 AM
I am related to a lot of Iranians, but many of them are of Qizilbash descent . I suspected they might be Sunnis like me. I also have quite few Armenians and Assyrians relatives based on geographical location and also where I am from it makes sense I looked up their surnames of some of the Iranian relatives and a lot of it Qizilbash surnames, so how did this happen, when my family are Sunnis?

Alanson
01-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Does it indicate conversion or ancestry from such people who choose to leave their ethno-religious identity?

S9 H9
01-14-2014, 02:03 AM
While culture (such as religion) does influence sexual selection, it ought to be remembered that picking up a cousin on autosomal tests can indicate a common ancestor many generations ago. While you may be fully aware of the lives of your own immediate family, do you really know how many children that, say, one of your 5th great grandfathers had? Most of us only have good family history documentation for the past couple of generations.

evon
01-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Firstly you should figure out how far back these DNA cousins are, they could be veeery old. the placement of cousins by 23andme, is far from perfect, infact i would go so far as to say its only 50% correct.

There is a huge difference between a 0.10% match and a 1.00% match. And surnames in a 0.10% match is likely irrelevant.