PDA

View Full Version : MyHeritage Ethnicity Estimate Update and Genetic Groups

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dorkymon
10-19-2019, 11:26 PM
Since nobody's talked about this here, I'll start.
The guys at MyHeritage expanded their references and will recalculate the ethnicity estimate hopefully before the end of the year.
Additionally, they plan to introduce genetic groups.

Details on:

Ethnicity Estimate Update (skip in playlist to this part): https://familytreewebinars.com/download.php?webinar_id=1161
Genetic Groups: https://familytreewebinars.com/download.php?webinar_id=1169

Some screenshots:

https://i.imgur.com/kCrxinK.png
https://i.imgur.com/jfiU5iV.png
https://i.imgur.com/OKLPRIt.png
https://i.imgur.com/geVh8an.png
https://i.imgur.com/2A5iWa1.png
https://i.imgur.com/e2658ya.png
https://i.imgur.com/FHBtU0s.png

timberwolf
10-20-2019, 12:25 AM
Since nobody's talked about this here, I'll start.
The guys at MyHeritage expanded their references and will recalculate the ethnicity estimate hopefully before the end of the year.
Additionally, they plan to introduce genetic groups.

Details on:

Ethnicity Estimate Update (skip in playlist to this part): https://familytreewebinars.com/download.php?webinar_id=1161

Some screenshots:

https://i.imgur.com/kCrxinK.png
https://i.imgur.com/jfiU5iV.png
https://i.imgur.com/OKLPRIt.png
https://i.imgur.com/geVh8an.png
https://i.imgur.com/2A5iWa1.png
https://i.imgur.com/e2658ya.png
https://i.imgur.com/FHBtU0s.png

Looking forward to it. Hopefully sooner then later.

Randynsky
10-20-2019, 05:27 AM
Depending on the update I will consider ordering a 23andme kit. All indications bases on g25 show a distant German pull while MyHeritage made me 16% Iberian + 3% Italian + 3% Irish/Scottish.

Dorkymon
10-20-2019, 07:32 AM
Depending on the update I will consider ordering a 23andme kit. All indications bases on g25 show a distant German pull while MyHeritage made me 16% Iberian + 3% Italian + 3% Irish/Scottish.

MyHeritage's ethnicity estimate is questionable for some users right now. But when it comes to G25, it is one of the best options and has more relevant SNPs than 23andme's v5. I'm tested on 23andme's v4, but I've ordered MyHeritage kits for my parents.

Geborgenheit
10-20-2019, 02:44 PM
All indications bases on g25 show a distant German pull while MyHeritage made me 16% Iberian + 3% Italian + 3% Irish/Scottish.

Irish/Scottish can be your German.

Geborgenheit
10-20-2019, 03:07 PM

Thank you for sharing this. I am interested in different Balkan genetic groups. I believe there will be separate groups for Romanians and Bulgarians.

mildlycurly
10-20-2019, 03:16 PM
About time. There is no way in hell that I'm only 13.6% Irish/Scottish.

timberwolf
10-20-2019, 07:11 PM
Has anyone actually contacted my heritage to find out when they are actually going to release these new features?

rober_tce
10-20-2019, 10:00 PM
I did it a month ago. They said me that they didn't know yet.

daragon39
10-20-2019, 11:08 PM
Has anyone actually contacted my heritage to find out when they are actually going to release these new features?

I did yesterday. They said they don't have any information as of yet, but it will be soon and will let everyone know when they do on the blog.

timberwolf
10-21-2019, 02:00 AM
I did yesterday. They said they don't have any information as of yet, but it will be soon and will let everyone know when they do on the blog.

Thanks for taking the effort to contact them, hoping it is soon, as it does look rather promising.

SecretExplorer
10-21-2019, 09:05 AM
I'll be curious what will happen with my ~40% Scandinavian(?), and my ~7% Ashkenazi(?). :D

They have to improve for sure...

daragon39
10-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Thanks for taking the effort to contact them, hoping it is soon, as it does look rather promising.

With Ancestry releasing their new (Crappy) update, I am sure MyHeritage won't be far behind.

Trelvern
10-21-2019, 08:08 PM

Hell hath no fury like a frenchman tested by MyHeritage

Nino90
10-21-2019, 08:11 PM
With Ancestry releasing their new (Crappy) update, I am sure MyHeritage won't be far behind.

Yeah. My brother got his AncestryDNA update. It was even worse.

mjrendu1982
10-23-2019, 08:10 PM
It seems like from what they presented on the video that the update will mean they need to rebuild much of their site before the update goes live.

I’m rather fond of MyHeritage’s results. They are extremely vague for me, but perhaps that is why they are accurate, and maybe even more so than many of the other commercial sites I’ve tested with.

digital_noise
10-29-2019, 04:41 PM
My Heritage for me has been decent. Across all 3 uploads, there is a very accurate regional big picture. They seem to struggle with smaller, more precise details, so hopefully this will improve.

Nqp15hhu
11-03-2019, 09:33 AM
Oh exciting!

sktibo
11-07-2019, 03:17 AM
Really excited for this, but I have that "I can't wait any longer!" feeling. I wish they'd give us a time frame, before, they said "Really soon" but it's past the really soon point IMO.

sktibo
11-07-2019, 03:27 AM

If it makes you feel better, one of my DNA relatives who I'm in contact with is entirely Scottish and she only got 14.5% Scottish. Her mother, also Scottish, didn't get ANY Ireland/Scotland/Wales. Instead, she got 14.9% Scandinavian. Another Scottish DNA relative only got 6.4% Ireland/Scotland/Wales, and weirdly got 42.1% North and West Europe.
So, if you say there's no way in hell you're only 13.6% Irish and Scottish, I believe you! This test is totally bonkers for some people when it comes to this category.

My Auntie (who is really attached to her Scottish ancestry, and hey, who isn't?) is 29% Scottish and MyHeritage didn't give her any in this category. She was pretty upset and so I looked into this for her. My dad didn't get any either, but then his other sister got almost a perfect reflection of their known ancestry on her MyHeritage upload. So occasionally it appears to produce a good result but for most it seems not to be the case.

rober_tce
11-07-2019, 12:08 PM
I sent again another email asking about this matter. Maybe for them "very soon" will be in March or June next year B)

sktibo
11-07-2019, 04:01 PM
I sent again another email asking about this matter. Maybe for them "very soon" will be in March or June next year B)

Wow, that's not even close to soon!

rober_tce
11-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Wow, that's not even close to soon!

It was a supposition with a touch of irony:biggrin1: Sorry if I didn't explain myself well.

They haven't answered yet, I guess it'll take them a few days to answer. When I receive the mail with the answer I will tell you in this post.

I have the feeling that the update will arrive late, we're in November and still have no news anywhere on the new beta...

timberwolf
11-07-2019, 05:44 PM
It was a supposition with a touch of irony:biggrin1: Sorry if I didn't explain myself well.

They haven't answered yet, I guess it'll take them a few days to answer. When I receive the mail with the answer I will tell you in this post.

I have the feeling that the update will arrive late, we're in November and still have no news anywhere on the new beta...

What is their email address?

rober_tce
11-07-2019, 05:48 PM
What is their email address?

This is: [email protected]

Geborgenheit
11-07-2019, 06:59 PM
They have repeated multiple times "later in 2019". I expect an update latest in December.

sktibo
11-07-2019, 09:43 PM
They have repeated multiple times "later in 2019". I expect an update latest in December.

I don't think I would make it to January!
The DNA test addiction is strong

timberwolf
11-07-2019, 11:05 PM
I don't think I would make it to January!
The DNA test addiction is strong

You Canadians have been waiting for a Stanley Cup since 1993. I am sure you will be fine lol. I am not the most patient waiter either, wish they would just release it already.

sktibo
11-07-2019, 11:11 PM
You Canadians have been waiting for a Stanley Cup since 1993. I am sure you will be fine lol. I am not the most patient waiter either, wish they would just release it already.

The Canucks fans have been waiting a bit longer than that!

konian lusitanum
11-08-2019, 08:58 AM
use your raw data in Wegene you will get your haplogroup main tree y haplogroup and mtdna haplogroup free

konian lusitanum
11-08-2019, 09:02 AM
good luck guys with your DNA test , regardless the costs of it it does make us understand that in the end we all come up from the same place as humans lets learn more about OUR DNA to learn more about ourselves and be aware that we are all brothers and sisters

macman
11-08-2019, 10:10 AM
They really needs to make Balkan category more clear...

Amarelo
11-08-2019, 02:25 PM
use your raw data in eugene you will get your haplogroup main tree y haplogroup and mtdna haplogroup free

Eugene? Can you add a link for that??

sktibo
11-08-2019, 03:58 PM
good luck guys with your DNA test , regardless the costs of it it does make us understand that in the end we all come up from the same place as humans lets learn more about OUR DNA to learn more about ourselves and be aware that we are all brothers and sisters

The way I see it shows us that they're actually able to differentiate different human populations, which I find very exciting because I find diversity among humans to be rather exciting. It keeps things interesting to have a lot of variation.

Dimanto
11-08-2019, 04:16 PM
If you know your ancestry, why would you even care?

mildlycurly
11-09-2019, 07:22 PM
If you know your ancestry, why would you even care?

I have two great-great grandparents who are unknown. So far, DNA has identified the ethnic group of one and I've found two names I suspect could be my great-great grandfather.

timberwolf
11-12-2019, 03:33 AM
Anyone heard anything more?

daragon39
11-12-2019, 04:15 PM
Anyone heard anything more?

Nothing as far as I know.

SB7
11-12-2019, 04:25 PM
It’ll be interesting to see the new results.

I‘ve done 3 DNA tests (which is probably bit excessive!) and each one has given me a different admixture (the ethnic groups are the same though give or take a few percent) . 23andMe says I’m basically equally British/Irish and Italian, Ancestry says I’m far more Irish/Scottish than Italian (and gets the regions correct on both counts to be fair) and MyHeritage says I’m far more Italian than I am Irish/Scottish!

sktibo
11-12-2019, 11:48 PM
It’ll be interesting to see the new results.

I‘ve done 3 DNA tests (which is probably bit excessive!) and each one has given me a different admixture (the ethnic groups are the same though give or take a few percent) . 23andMe says I’m basically equally British/Irish and Italian, Ancestry says I’m far more Irish/Scottish than Italian (and gets the regions correct on both counts to be fair) and MyHeritage says I’m far more Italian than I am Irish/Scottish!

Sounds to me like you're about half and half then?
And 3 isn't excessive! It just means you're among friends here.

timberwolf
11-13-2019, 02:24 AM
This is: [email protected]

Did support ever get back to you?

rober_tce
11-13-2019, 11:00 AM
Did support ever get back to you?

I'm still waiting for the reply to the mail I sent a few days ago. The two times I sent them an email they answered me, but it took at least a week (or more) to answer.

rober_tce
11-14-2019, 06:46 AM
Well, "habemus email":

"Unfortunately at this time, we haven't been made aware of any updates in regards to the Ethnicity Estimate.

This may happen closer to the end of the year.

In the meantime, you could keep an eye on our blog where all updates will be posted regularly."

Three emails, and they never know anything. Maybe end of year haha... as I said, "very soon" it's relative, they don't know anything with certainly.

sktibo
11-14-2019, 07:01 AM
Well, "habemus email":

"Unfortunately at this time, we haven't been made aware of any updates in regards to the Ethnicity Estimate.

This may happen closer to the end of the year.

In the meantime, you could keep an eye on our blog where all updates will be posted regularly."

Three emails, and they never know anything. Maybe end of year haha... as I said, "very soon" it's relative, they don't know anything with certainly.

So by very soon maybe they really meant something more like.. never?

rober_tce
11-14-2019, 08:15 AM
So by very soon maybe they really meant something more like.. never?

Maybe for end this year according to her answer, but neither they know anything with certainly. All this it seems weird.

StillWater
11-14-2019, 08:17 AM
Maybe for end this year according to her answer, but neither they know anything with certainly. All this it seems weird.

I highly doubt it'll happen with only 1.5 months left and no news of it.

rober_tce
11-14-2019, 08:32 AM
I highly doubt it'll happen with only 1.5 months left and no news of it.

I'm totally agree.

Robert1
11-14-2019, 11:21 PM
Psst, MyHeritage. Call me if you wanna know what my Ethnicity Update should be! You don't have to wait. I have it done so you can use it now. In fact please use it! :biggrin1:

Actually if they just relabeled their current estimate of 59.9% British&Irish to Scotland/Ireland/bulk of Wales and 40.1% Scandinavian to England/pinch of Wales/with a dash of continental NW Europe I'd be pleased. Good percentages, poor labeling.

konian lusitanum
11-15-2019, 08:59 AM
that is what you got , they are very accurate

StillWater
11-21-2019, 10:40 PM
I've noticed a couple format updates on MyHeritage and they may have upgraded their ethnicity estimate for new customers or it is simply better through the new chip, as I'm seeing more results which are receiving 100% Ashkenazi, which is very rare for MyHeritage. Let's hope this foreshadows an ethnicity update in the near future.

JFWinstone
11-21-2019, 10:56 PM
I've noticed our latest matches haven't been getting the large amounts of Scandinavian that our older matches did and much higher English percentages.

sktibo
12-03-2019, 05:16 PM
Still waiting for news on this big update which was supposedly coming soon...

timberwolf
12-03-2019, 05:53 PM
Still waiting for news on this big update which was supposedly coming soon...

I have come to the conclusion that DNA companies don't know the meaning of the phase "coming soon" They all seem to use it and the time frame is months.

sktibo
12-03-2019, 05:56 PM
I have come to the conclusion that DNA companies don't know the meaning of the phase "coming soon" They all seem to use it and the time frame is months.

someone needs to tell them that soon means days, or a couple weeks at most.. especially when they say "very soon"

timberwolf
12-03-2019, 06:23 PM
someone needs to tell them that soon means days, or a couple weeks at most.. especially when they say "very soon"

Yes to say it is soon and to take months is misleading. and creates resentment.

AncestryDNA did the same thing last year and with LivingDNA everything has been 'soon' since forever.

Nino90
12-03-2019, 06:34 PM
Lets be honest. It's way more effective to use the raw-data yourself.

Dorkymon
12-03-2019, 09:32 PM
Lets be honest. It's way more effective to use the raw-data yourself.

It depends. If they have references for administrative divisions for each country in Europe, which we don't have in G25 or GEDmatch, then that analysis may prove quite insightful.

sktibo
12-03-2019, 09:35 PM
It depends. If they have references for administrative divisions for each country in Europe, which we don't have in G25 or GEDmatch, then that analysis may prove quite insightful.

Indeed it does depend, you're right

Geborgenheit
12-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Still nothing and looks like nothing will happen till the end of the year. They still seem to gather data, since they have offered free uploads...

fostert
12-20-2019, 12:01 AM
Have high hopes their new ethnicity estimate will actually compete with Ancestry and 23andme, instead of being sub-par (like FTDNA) like they have been ever since they entered the DNA game.

MH are aggressive too: someone from there cold-called me, with a special "one-time" offer for a data subscription that was only good for the life of his phone call. Special price: $389 Cdn for 1 year plus a $40 coupon good for other Myheritage products. "Oh", I said - "can I use it towards a DNA kit?" Nope.

I rejected his offer and when I got off the phone, checked regular price on their website? $389 Cdn.

Useless.

rober_tce
12-20-2019, 01:30 AM
The new beta isn't here yet, although they said it will be "very soon". They must have a rather peculiar notion of time.

As I expected, it doesn't look like they'll be updating for the rest of the year.

timberwolf
12-25-2019, 07:13 PM
No Christmas present from Myheritage with a new ancestry estimate, oh well.

coffeeprince
12-28-2019, 02:56 AM
It's been "very soon" for about 1.5 years now.

timberwolf
12-31-2019, 06:51 PM
Well as for the so called ancestry estimate update for 2019.

Wish these companies would stop saying very soon, it's rather disingenuous. More action and less talk would be great.

Claudio
12-31-2019, 07:57 PM
No Christmas present from Myheritage with a new ancestry estimate, oh well.

Bastards! :biggrin1:

mildlycurly
01-01-2020, 01:04 AM
I don't expect many improvements though. Myheritage is probably the least accurate of the major services.

Claudio
01-01-2020, 01:25 AM
I don't expect many improvements though. Myheritage is probably the least accurate of the major services.

Agreed,although they are at least promising a HUGE update this year!

Judith
01-07-2020, 09:10 PM
I uploaded mine and my Mum’s in their Dec free offer.
Their ethnicity predictions are very similar to the old FTDNA and Ancestry ones eg 15% Scandinavian for my mum and 10% for me. She has the 75% Derbyshire very much in the Danish area of control and settlement and close the the large rivers such as the Trent.
So 1000 years out of date really!
Both of the old ethnicity predictions were massively improved with much larger reference sample sizes.
Perhaps if they got enough uploads then they will have enough references soon?

timberwolf
01-12-2020, 07:49 PM
This was posted by a user over on the 23andme forum.

Apparently MyHeritage is slated to make “a big announcement” this week at RootsTech. Blaine Bettinger posted on the FB forum “Genetic Genealogy Tips and Practices.”

Robert1
01-12-2020, 11:03 PM
This was posted by a user over on the 23andme forum.

Apparently MyHeritage is slated to make “a big announcement” this week at RootsTech. Blaine Bettinger posted on the FB forum “Genetic Genealogy Tips and Practices.”

Darn! MyHeritage just succeeded in delaying RootsTech from this week till the end of February! :D

timberwolf
01-13-2020, 03:36 AM
Darn! MyHeritage just succeeded in delaying RootsTech from this week till the end of February! :D

That is disappointing,one is assuming that the big announcement is regarding an updated ancestry estimate. It could be something else.

I really wish these companies would stop saying these updates are soon, when in most cases it is months, or it the case of another company, years or never.

timberwolf
01-27-2020, 02:10 AM
Over on the 23andme forum, someone who contacted myheritage said they were told the update will be within the next couple of months. Wait and see.

jetshop
01-28-2020, 07:54 AM
I'd rather have the update be late and more accurate than on time and still suffering from issues anyway.

JFWinstone
01-30-2020, 04:21 PM
I'd rather have the update be late and more accurate than on time and still suffering from issues anyway.

Same here, as long as they were honest instead of stringing people along with "soon".

timberwolf
02-05-2020, 09:27 PM
I guess now that LDNA has done it's update, we are now all waiting on Myheritage and FTDNA to do theirs.

JonikW
02-08-2020, 11:56 AM
Plus there's the FGC Beta analysis (http://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?19291-FGC-beta-autosomal-ancestry-analysis) for those who decided to sign up. Should be interesting.

timberwolf
02-08-2020, 10:28 PM
Plus there's the FGC Beta analysis (http://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?19291-FGC-beta-autosomal-ancestry-analysis) for those who decided to sign up. Should be interesting.

When is that being released?

JonikW
02-08-2020, 10:33 PM
When is that being released?

I think the beta results should be out around April. I guess they'll decide when it can be rolled out commercially from the accuracy they achieve then.

Loderingo
02-12-2020, 06:05 PM
Over on the 23andme forum, someone who contacted myheritage said they were told the update will be within the next couple of months. Wait and see.

I'm wondering if some people might already be getting the new update. My mother just had a brand new close match with 149cm in common (1st cousin twice removed - 2nd cousin twice removed). The respective ethnicities of the 2 is as following (my mother first):

North and West Europe 92.2% 96.9%
North and West European 36.8% 0.0%
Scandinavian 36.6% 0.0%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 18.8% 0.0%
English 0.0% 96.9%

South Europe 7.8% 0.0%
Iberian 7.8% 0.0%

Ashkenazi Jewish 0.0% 2.2%

Asia 0.0% 0.9%
Central Asia 0.0% 0.9%

So there is no overlap at all in the ethnicities between my mother and the new match. My mother's tree is entirely English so I'm wondering if the new match is getting the new ethnicities and when it is released for everyone her NW Europe will become English too.

Dorkymon
02-12-2020, 06:42 PM
I'm wondering if some people might already be getting the new update. My mother just had a brand new close match with 149cm in common (1st cousin twice removed - 2nd cousin twice removed). The respective ethnicities of the 2 is as following (my mother first):

North and West Europe 92.2% 96.9%
North and West European 36.8% 0.0%
Scandinavian 36.6% 0.0%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 18.8% 0.0%
English 0.0% 96.9%

South Europe 7.8% 0.0%
Iberian 7.8% 0.0%

Ashkenazi Jewish 0.0% 2.2%

Asia 0.0% 0.9%
Central Asia 0.0% 0.9%

So there is no overlap at all in the ethnicities between my mother and the new match. My mother's tree is entirely English so I'm wondering if the new match is getting the new ethnicities and when it is released for everyone her NW Europe will become English too.

No, that's just MyHeritage struggling with the minor components. At regional level you are overlapping significantly. A similar example is in my signature between my and my father's results.

timberwolf
02-12-2020, 07:24 PM
That is just tinkering. I would like to think that their update will be a major overhaul of their existing estimate.

They have certainly talked it up, so I guess we will have to wait and see. If it turns out to be just a tweaking of the existing ancestry model, then they are all mouth and no trousers.

geebee
02-15-2020, 02:47 AM
So far everybody's "big update" has been a total bust for me. This includes both Ancestry and LivingDNA. I'd rather see "tweaking" than another "overhaul" that breaks what wasn't broken.

chocoholic
02-15-2020, 04:41 AM
That is just tinkering. I would like to think that their update will be a major overhaul of their existing estimate.

They have certainly talked it up, so I guess we will have to wait and see. If it turns out to be just a tweaking of the existing ancestry model, then they are all mouth and no trousers.

While MyHeritage is good for genealogy, the ethnicity estimates are laughable. I uploaded twice and got slightly different results. Also, two identical twins that I match didn’t get the exact same estimate, which proves the estimates are BS. I prefer GEDMatch’s estimates more than anything, and I really like Vahaduo which breaks it down even further when GEDMatch yields false positive results. :)

timberwolf
02-15-2020, 05:15 AM
While MyHeritage is good for genealogy, the ethnicity estimates are laughable. I uploaded twice and got slightly different results. Also, two identical twins that I match didn’t get the exact same estimate, which proves the estimates are BS. I prefer GEDMatch’s estimates more than anything, and I really like Vahaduo which breaks it down even further when GEDMatch yields false positive results. :)

Myheritage's strength is it's international reach. The other major companies databases is mostly from the English speaking Anglo nations. Myheritage seems to sell well in Continental Europe.

Yes its current estimate is rubbish IMO the worst of the major players. So I am waiting to see what they come up with. Hopefully they will announce some timetable at Rootstech. What does annoy me is they always say soon, in the terms of updates one is always waiting months.

chocoholic
02-15-2020, 05:47 AM
Myheritage's strength is it's international reach. The other major companies databases is mostly from the English speaking Anglo nations. Myheritage seems to sell well in Continental Europe.

Yes its current estimate is rubbish IMO the worst of the major players. So I am waiting to see what they come up with. Hopefully they will announce some timetable at Rootstech. What does annoy me is they always say soon, in the terms of updates one is always waiting months.

You should see some of the reaction videos to people getting their MyHeritage results. ��

dosas
02-15-2020, 07:24 AM

My identical twin sons got the exact same estimates, so there's that. Also, the previous version of their chip (tested and ran by the FTDNA labs, but w/o the omission of the 'medical' SNPs that FTDNA performed) provided the highest SNP number raw file (excluding the old v3 23ame).

Plus, they usually have good offers, more often than the competition.

So, it's not all that bad.

daragon39
02-17-2020, 05:26 AM
You should see some of the reaction videos to people getting their MyHeritage results. ��

I can't wait to see the follow up reaction videos when MyHeritage results get updated.

Claudio
02-17-2020, 08:30 AM
I’m looking forward to the effect of Myheritage further sampling the Italian peninsula and various Western Jewish communities and how this plays out when they update there Algorithm lol

El Prudente
02-17-2020, 09:08 AM
Have nothing to say, just waiting

JJJ
02-18-2020, 01:02 PM
They have finally updated, it is now possible to color the photos in black and white.

El Prudente
02-18-2020, 05:38 PM
They have finally updated, it is now possible to color the photos in black and white.

That was a week ago

chocoholic
02-20-2020, 08:45 PM

I had a minor heart attack and then I finally realized the joke. :P

timberwolf
02-25-2020, 02:55 AM
RootsTech is in a couple of days time. Hoping there is some announcement on an ancestry update.

timberwolf
02-27-2020, 11:10 PM
Myheritage has released this.

https://blog.myheritage.com/2020/02/introducing-fan-view-for-family-trees/

passenger
02-28-2020, 12:01 AM
Myheritage has released this.

https://blog.myheritage.com/2020/02/introducing-fan-view-for-family-trees/

I do like the snazzy new tools, but I can't help feeling teased...

timberwolf
02-28-2020, 12:03 AM
I do like the snazzy new tools, but I can't help feeling teased...

I am far more interested in an ancestry estimate that is what we are all waiting for.

digital_noise
02-28-2020, 01:20 AM
Yea at this point I’m uninterested in any flashy family tree maker. Ancestry update or nothing at this point. This is just a distraction lol

sktibo
02-28-2020, 05:57 AM
Goddamnit MyHeritage.

Trelvern
02-28-2020, 08:26 AM
We're gonna do it

timberwolf
03-01-2020, 01:20 AM
So I guess nothing was announced at Rootstech?

sktibo
03-01-2020, 05:54 AM
So I guess nothing was announced at Rootstech?

So far looking like nothing. Aren't we around three months in to "Very soon" or has it been longer?

timberwolf
03-01-2020, 06:29 AM
So far looking like nothing. Aren't we around three months in to "Very soon" or has it been longer?

The first post of this thread is October 19th four and a half months ago.

sktibo
03-04-2020, 01:35 AM
No news that I've found on this update. Maybe they ran into a major snag or their update really isn't turning out to be as great as they wanted?

timberwolf
03-04-2020, 02:46 AM
No news that I've found on this update. Maybe they ran into a major snag or their update really isn't turning out to be as great as they wanted?

They have put the cart before the horse. Don't hold your breath waiting for the update, it may be months before anything happens.

Clearly they do not know what the word "soon: means.

sktibo
03-04-2020, 02:49 AM
They have put the cart before the horse. Don't hold your breath waiting for the update, it may be months before anything happens.

Clearly they do not know what the word "soon: means.

You're right. at least we've seen something from the FTDNA update. I was really excited for this one but it's looking pretty grim time wise.

timberwolf
03-04-2020, 03:20 AM
You're right. at least we've seen something from the FTDNA update. I was really excited for this one but it's looking pretty grim time wise.

Myheritage should not have even thought of presenting the idea of an ancestry estimate when it is not even remotely close to going live. It raises expectations and irritates when it does not happen in a timely manner.

FTDNA at least offers a point of difference as a company, even if the current estimate is not flash.

coffeeprince
03-05-2020, 07:57 PM
They mentioned it at Rootstech - their youtube channel has a video on it with a more refined product than the one the CEO showed in October. It looks like they are adding "genetic communities", similar to AncestryDNA.

tatals
03-05-2020, 07:58 PM
Ok, so I've just read this rumor on a group on Facebook that MyHeritage is supposed to update this month. Any basis for that? There was also a picture showing a preview of the alleged update.

timberwolf
03-05-2020, 07:59 PM
They mentioned it at Rootstech - their youtube channel has a video on it with a more refined product than the one the CEO showed in October. It looks like they are adding "genetic communities", similar to AncestryDNA.

Can you link the relevant youtube video please.

timberwolf
03-05-2020, 09:06 PM
Found the relevant video on 23andme forum skip to 3.40 in the video for the announcement. Says in the coming months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=228&v=sE9pWGoQ--I&feature=emb_logo

BalkanKiwi
03-05-2020, 09:30 PM
I think these companies shouldn't give out dates, and just release updates out of the blue. When they say soon or very soon they never meet the expectations of the community. FTDNA has said very soon for their update, which suggests within a few months, however that could mean closer to 6 months.

digital_noise
03-05-2020, 09:33 PM
They are being about as vague as one can be about time frames lol.

timberwolf
03-05-2020, 09:51 PM
In the video he said coming months, some may hear that as coming month and think it is by the end of month. It may well be, or it could be the end of the year. Who knows, probably not even their support staff.

What I did notice was it looked like they were using the same categories with genetic communities added.

timberwolf
03-05-2020, 09:54 PM
I think these companies shouldn't give out dates, and just release updates out of the blue. When they say soon or very soon they never meet the expectations of the community. FTDNA has said very soon for their update, which suggests within a few months, however that could mean closer to 6 months.

Could not agree anymore with that statement. How about announce the update, about a week at most before it goes live.

BalkanKiwi
03-05-2020, 10:06 PM
Could not agree anymore with that statement. How about announce the update, about a week at most before it goes live.

I forgot to add, very soon to me implies within a few weeks and not a few months. Hopefully FTDNA haven't said very soon just to build up the company and the excitement. MyHeritage is in a similar boat since their announcement.

timberwolf
03-05-2020, 10:12 PM
I forgot to add, very soon to me implies within a few weeks and not a few months. Hopefully FTDNA haven't said very soon just to build up the company and the excitement. MyHeritage is in a similar boat since their announcement.

Very soon for me is a couple of weeks to a month.

digital_noise
03-05-2020, 11:16 PM
In all honesty, Im not very concerned with the when something gets released. If they need time to do it right, then by all means do so. What irritates me is the hype that seems to be the method of choice for many companies/products these days. Hype something early (clearly when it is still in the works a def. NOT ready for release), "drop" hints etc.. to whet our appetites a bit, to get the people talking, waiting, reinvigorating the hype all over again...Im sick of it. Announce a date, release on said date. Done.

Greekscholar
03-05-2020, 11:32 PM
In all honesty, Im not very concerned with the when something gets released. If they need time to do it right, then by all means do so. What irritates me is the hype that seems to be the method of choice for many companies/products these days. Hype something early (clearly when it is still in the works a def. NOT ready for release), "drop" hints etc.. to whet our appetites a bit, to get the people talking, waiting, reinvigorating the hype all over again...Im sick of it. Announce a date, release on said date. Done.

Yes, but if they did what you said they wouldn't have all of this conversation about their brand and product on chat sites like this one ;)

The anticipation is 90% of the fun. Once the results come out, we will all spend about 48-72 hours sharing, comparing, and discussing, then back to regular life.

digital_noise
03-05-2020, 11:37 PM
Yes, but if they did what you said they wouldn't have all of this conversation about their brand and product on chat sites like this one ;)

The anticipation is 90% of the fun. Once the results come out, we will all spend about 48-72 hours sharing, comparing, and discussing, then back to regular life.

I agree, but I think it gets a bit out of hand and the companies dont really do a good job of mitigating the enormous hype that surrounds an announcement like this. I remember one of the Ancestry DNA updates recently was like a bread shortage in terms of panic and irritation. In the big picture, of course its not that serious, but some people take it seriously and thanks to the internet, at least for me, if a few people are freaking out about something I feel that I am not paying enough attention and then sort of get sucked into the hype haha

Shadogowah
03-06-2020, 10:46 AM
Their website is screwed up today, perhaps it is a sign that they are already working on updates.

Dorkymon
03-06-2020, 12:33 PM
Their website is screwed up today, perhaps it is a sign that they are already working on updates.

It's fine for me.

Shadogowah
03-06-2020, 12:37 PM
It's fine for me.

Desktop or mobile?

When I try, the DNA results section gets stuck with the spinning loading thingy and does not show results. Using a laptop.

passenger
03-06-2020, 12:44 PM
Desktop or mobile?

When I try, the DNA results section gets stuck with the spinning loading thingy and does not show results. Using a laptop.

No issues on my laptop

El Prudente
03-06-2020, 12:45 PM

working just fine for me

Dorkymon
03-06-2020, 01:00 PM
Desktop or mobile?

Desktop and mine's loading fully.

Shadogowah
03-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Must be my account or a local problem then.

mjrendu1982
03-20-2020, 12:36 AM
Any new word or updates of information to when this update may occur?

timberwolf
03-25-2020, 10:10 PM
Would be good if they released the update. It would be a welcome distraction from world events.

El Prudente
03-25-2020, 10:47 PM
Would be good if they released the update. It would be a welcome distraction from world events.

I think the "world events" gonna delay the update though

daragon39
03-26-2020, 12:27 PM
I think the "world events" gonna delay the update though

Maybe not, they could still be working on it remotely like FTDNA said they were.

coffeeprince
04-08-2020, 08:47 PM
It's looking like October. If you go to Legacy Webinars, Ran Snir has an upcoming presentation entitled "The New Ethnicity Estimates" on October 27th.

digital_noise
04-08-2020, 08:56 PM
jeez, thats a ways off. Oh well...

timberwolf
04-08-2020, 10:44 PM
It's looking like October. If you go to Legacy Webinars, Ran Snir has an upcoming presentation entitled "The New Ethnicity Estimates" on October 27th.

Can you link that please. I guess this contagion has changed time frames.

coffeeprince
04-09-2020, 01:43 AM
Can you link that please. I guess this contagion has changed time frames.

https://familytreewebinars.com/ransnir

timberwolf
04-23-2020, 11:31 PM
https://blog.myheritage.com/2020/04/myheritage-live-2020-postponed/

indorabian
06-26-2020, 07:44 PM
https://blog.myheritage.com/2020/06/myheritage-ceo-gilad-japhet-reveals-exciting-new-developments-during-keynote-talk/

passenger
06-26-2020, 08:00 PM
https://blog.myheritage.com/2020/06/myheritage-ceo-gilad-japhet-reveals-exciting-new-developments-during-keynote-talk/

Thanks for sharing. It sounds promising. Though once again we hear that the update will be released "later this year and very soon"...seems like a contradiction in terms, but we shall see!

indorabian
06-26-2020, 08:03 PM
You're welcome. Ikr!

timberwolf
06-26-2020, 09:41 PM
If someone gave me five dollars for every time a DNA company said very soon I would be a millionaire, It does look good but its time to deliver.

BalkanKiwi
06-26-2020, 09:47 PM
By very soon, they mean 2021.

indorabian
06-26-2020, 11:02 PM

Let's hope not! I am kinda tired with their so called "soon". Just give us a release date.

timberwolf
06-26-2020, 11:54 PM

I think he did say this year. Still after the FTDNA failure to launch, seeing is believing.

BalkanKiwi
06-27-2020, 12:05 AM
I think he did say this year. Still after the FTDNA failure to launch, seeing is believing.

That was my attempt at sarcasm due to FTDNA's failure.

timberwolf
06-27-2020, 12:43 AM
That was my attempt at sarcasm due to FTDNA's failure.

Fair enough. A bit like my comment about being a millionaire if for every time one of these companies said very soon.

Very soon is fast becoming my less liked phase in the English language.

Caius Agrippa
06-28-2020, 11:42 PM
Their CEO promised they will launch ''genetic groups'' before Christmas. Likely the update will come at the same time.

timberwolf
06-28-2020, 11:46 PM
Their CEO promised they will launch ''genetic groups'' before Christmas. Likely the update will come at the same time.

Thanks, do you have a link to that statement please?

Caius Agrippa
06-28-2020, 11:49 PM
Thanks, do you have a link to that statement please?

Sure: https://blog.myheritage.com/2020/06/myheritage-ceo-gilad-japhet-reveals-exciting-new-developments-during-keynote-talk/

timberwolf
06-28-2020, 11:51 PM
Sure: https://blog.myheritage.com/2020/06/myheritage-ceo-gilad-japhet-reveals-exciting-new-developments-during-keynote-talk/

OK, so that wait may be six months or less.

Trelvern
06-28-2020, 11:59 PM

"Genetic groups will break the existing 42 ethnicities down into subgroups, including ethnic groups such as the Basques, the Sámi, and the Bretons, and even identifying groups that came from a particular city, such as Moroccan Jews from Casablanca. When the feature is released, every person who has taken a MyHeritage DNA test will be able to access this information for free." (Statement quote)

Caius Agrippa
06-29-2020, 12:24 AM
"Genetic groups will break the existing 42 ethnicities down into subgroups, including ethnic groups such as the Basques, the Sámi, and the Bretons, and even identifying groups that came from a particular city, such as Moroccan Jews from Casablanca. When the feature is released, every person who has taken a MyHeritage DNA test will be able to access this information for free." (Statement quote)

If what they are promising becomes true and accurate it seems they can start to compete for being the best company out there. But I'm not very confident it will be accurate, only time will tell. Because the Genetic Groups they are promising seem to be very specific and varied.

timberwolf
06-29-2020, 12:29 AM
If what they are promising becomes true and accurate it seems they can start to compete for being the best company out there. But I'm not very confident it will be accurate, only time will tell. Because the Genetic Groups they are promising seem to be very specific and varied.

They still have to actually produce the results. See what it is like when it arrives.

Caius Agrippa
06-29-2020, 12:35 AM
They still have to actually produce the results. See what it is like when it arrives.

I'm very suspicious of MyHeritage because their results seem extremely off for a lot of people, most of my ancestry is Portuguese + some North Italian and I still don't know how they managed to give me 10% Middle Eastern + West Asian and around 6% Baltic.

timberwolf
06-29-2020, 12:42 AM
I'm very suspicious of MyHeritage because their results seem extremely off for a lot of people, most of my ancestry is Portuguese + some North Italian and I still don't know how they managed to give me 10% Middle Eastern + West Asian and around 6% Baltic.

Yes their estimate is not fit for purpose, according to them I am 1/5 Spanish which is just wrong.

jstephan
06-29-2020, 01:00 AM
According to MyHeritage, I am 50,7% Irish/Scottish.., 27.8 % English, and 21.5% Iberian.

My father is 79.4% Irish/Scottish.., 15,2% Iberian and 5.4% from the Balkan (LOL)

My Mother is 72.6% Irish/Scottish.. and 27.4% Iberian.

And we are all North-Western French for at least 5 centuries according to my paper trail. I think their algorithm deserves some hard tuning.

They are miles behind the G25 for this matter.

rober_tce
08-26-2020, 05:04 PM
Anybody knows what's happen with the famous update of My Heritage? I only receive publishment and emails about colorize photos! Almost a year ago, they said it will happpen "very soon" :bounce:

Dorkymon
08-26-2020, 05:24 PM
Anybody knows what's happen with the famous update of My Heritage? I only receive publishment and emails about colorize photos! Almost a year ago, they said it will happpen "very soon" :bounce:

I remember them mentioning that it should be ready for the holiday sale, by which I suppose they meant Christmas. Promises of updates are pretty much cursed at this point, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

timberwolf
08-26-2020, 09:16 PM
I remember them mentioning that it should be ready for the holiday sale, by which I suppose they meant Christmas. Promises of updates are pretty much cursed at this point, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I have received email after email from them in regards photographs subscriptions kits etc etc, but no update. Yet this thread started 10 months ago and most thought this update would happen before Christmas last year, in fact many people said they had promised some sort of update from the beginning of last year. I have contacted their customer service on numerous occasions, and it would be charitable to say they were less then helpful.

Time for them to close their mouths and do what they promised. It is not what you say, it is what you do.

mildlycurly
08-29-2020, 01:17 AM
I don't take Myheritage too seriously

I don't think many on here do to be honest.

And based on how long we've been waiting, the update will manage to be worse than before. It's sod's law.

Dorkymon
08-29-2020, 01:46 AM

There aren't any better databases for my ethnicity to be honest.

evon
08-29-2020, 09:41 PM
There aren't any better databases for my ethnicity to be honest.

Same here, nothing compares to their database.

digital_noise
08-29-2020, 10:03 PM
everyone sh*ts on My Heritage but honestly its actually decent for me. Their NW Europe breakdown is a mess, but if you look at things regionally and not for the specifics it can be decent. Isnt it also much more accessible to people in the EU than say an Ancestry or 23 and Me test?

I do recall when you could upload raw files for free I would do it, get the results and then delete it and do it all over again and the results would differ by a few % each time. Not sure why that was..

sktibo
08-29-2020, 10:18 PM
everyone sh*ts on My Heritage but honestly its actually decent for me. Their NW Europe breakdown is a mess, but if you look at things regionally and not for the specifics it can be decent. Isnt it also much more accessible to people in the EU than say an Ancestry or 23 and Me test?

I do recall when you could upload raw files for free I would do it, get the results and then delete it and do it all over again and the results would differ by a few % each time. Not sure why that was..

The specifics are not good for me but if i look at it under just the NW European umbrella, and I consider Iberia to be possibly representative of French in my case, it's actually not a terribly far off estimate, my percentages in a broad sense aren't paper-trail accurate but could potentially be plausible

timberwolf
08-29-2020, 10:25 PM
The value of myheritage is its number of Continental testers. The other companies are very Anglo centric and myheritage offers a difference.

While their ancestry estimate is IMHO not good.

Over in the French section Tolan, has done some excellent work on making sense of the Myheritage estimates by plotting your results on a PCA graph.

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?21491-PCA-avec-votre-ethnicit%E9-europ%E9enne-de-Myheritage

digital_noise
08-29-2020, 10:49 PM
The specifics are not good for me but if i look at it under just the NW European umbrella, and I consider Iberia to be possibly representative of French in my case, it's actually not a terribly far off estimate, my percentages in a broad sense aren't paper-trail accurate but could potentially be plausible

Here's one issue I think is at play. Some people compare their results to their paper trail. And they can only understand paper trails in the 100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25% etc chunks. We all know that it doesnt work that way, its rarely that clean, if ever. People are also clueless about their background, believing family oral tradition over hard proof of a paper trail. So the idea they grew up with turns out to be B.S, but they refuse to accept this.

sktibo
08-29-2020, 11:44 PM
Here's one issue I think is at play. Some people compare their results to their paper trail. And they can only understand paper trails in the 100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25% etc chunks. We all know that it doesnt work that way, its rarely that clean, if ever. People are also clueless about their background, believing family oral tradition over hard proof of a paper trail. So the idea they grew up with turns out to be B.S, but they refuse to accept this.

Well, that depends on who is doing the assessment. On a genetic genealogy facebook group, sure - but here, with a lot of our regular members.. actually I think a lot of people here have a good understanding of their paper trails. I personally consider paper trails to be a good point of comparison as the people who make up the reference populations aren't going very far back, many still living, so the references would face the same problem as you describe. If someone has a paper trail going back to ~1800 it's probably a fine bet. I also consider my own paper trail to be an acceptable point of comparison to some degree - what I mean is, some of it is "rock solid" - those parts being grandparents of my father who were born in X country and having all of their ancestors from that area. Other parts, not so much, but are still useful because we have an idea about where they can come from - for example, my mother's mother's parents were both immigrants from Eastern Europe, and while I can't tease the exact locations apart, I know that this part of my ancestry isn't going to produce something that appears Iberian or Irish. Scotch-Irish ancestors from Northern-Ireland are another one, because while they claimed to be Scottish on the census records, there could be English, Irish, or some other type of Western European that got in there. That line isn't going to produce something that appears to be Russian, for example.

But, I'm not saying you're wrong, because people do often insist on believing family myths or legends and not really looking into the evidence, refusing to accept what might go against what they believe - my grandfather insisted he was Irish because of the prevalence of red-hair and so far I've found nothing to indicate it as being true, despite all the time I put into studying early medieval Ireland in university (I wanted it to be true too.) The argument I am making is that, on here, I don't think this happens so much, and people do often seem to understand the limits of the less concrete parts of their paper trails.

JMcB
08-30-2020, 02:52 AM
Personally, I think MH’s problems are way beyond attributing it to dubious trees or people strictly relying on the percentages everyone uses for a Great Grandmother. They seem to be using an outdated methodology that’s very similar to Ancestry’s old one, three updates ago. When they were also giving out large amounts of Scandinavian & Iberian to people who had no ancestry from those areas. If I remember correctly, FT also did the same thing but filtered it out later on. Of course, the dubious assignments are different, for people of different origins but the principle remains the same. They’re way out of date and probably need an update more than anyone else. Hopefully, they’ll get around to it sooner than later.

Nevertheless, they still have some really nice features, so I’m glad to use them.

Nino90
08-30-2020, 01:50 PM

Well said Sir:).

timberwolf
09-19-2020, 09:04 PM
Eleven months ago this thread started and we were told that the update was soon. Hate to know what their definition of later would be.

Has everyone heard anything from them?

StillWater
09-19-2020, 09:26 PM
Eleven months ago this thread started and we were told that the update was soon. Hate to know what their definition of later would be.

Has everyone heard anything from them?

Closer to holidays based on their last talk

timberwolf
09-19-2020, 10:13 PM
Closer to holidays based on their last talk

Christmas?

StillWater
09-19-2020, 10:26 PM
Christmas?

.Yup.

timberwolf
09-22-2020, 08:39 PM
OK guys now that FTDNA have done their update. We are now waiting on you. it's never good to be last to the party.

sdrucker
09-23-2020, 01:18 AM
After finding out from FTDNA that I went from 88% to 99% Ashkenazi, that kind of killed my interest. It was the non-Ashkenazi %, notably South Italian and Greek as well as Balkan, that got me interested in doing deeper dives genetically into Y-DNA testing and looking more closely at the various distance-based Y results, where I found a number of Spanish/Hispanic names popping up some GD back. If I'd been 99% anything from the beginning I probably wouldn't have bothered except to see these results as confirming the obvious with 4 Ashkenazi Jewish ancestors.

Hope MyHeritage is more interesting....but who knows after this update.

AppalachianGumbo
09-28-2020, 05:30 PM

You don't take any of "your results" from any place seriously because of your copious sub-saharan African ancestry. I've had enough of your private emails, to the point where I have blocked you under several names. Now I have a new message a few days ago from another alias. Now you are on blast. You are 75% with 23andMe (or whoever) Sub-saharan African.

" Hi, This is AzureKite we spoke on city-data.com. You told since the DNA test says 75% West African and 20% European that it means I am predominantly Black than you never replied back. You should learn that DNA and genetics are subjective, and that genetically and generation wise I am only a product of my Portuguese great-great grandfather which means I am only genetically Portuguese, the 75%African is genetically 0% since my real genetic ancestors are not African including a biological African father.
"So I am just Southern European genetically and not Black since my only ancestors are Portuguese and 1% European is a higher percentage than 75-99% African genetically in general. So you stating I am Black with Portuguese ancestry is genetically incorrect when I am only a biological genetic product of my Portuguese great-great-great-great grandfather, etc. So Southern European or Portuguese is the right term for you to say and think when describing me.:) Everything I said is genetic facts that all must accept. Cheers;)" - Blackrose777

Maybe now you will stop messaging me with the same *above* nonsense for the past 2 years is it already? Not sure why you care what I think. As I stated, your results speak for themself. I didn't answer you because after the 3rd or 4th message with my same answer here and elsewhere, you keep messaging me looking for a different result. See a doctor.
STOP private messaging me.

09-30-2020, 06:19 AM
All note: The correct way to deal with unwelcome communications from other members is to contact Administration.

JG85
10-03-2020, 10:12 AM
My heritage results from 23andme data:

42.3% Irish, Scottish and Welsh
31.6% English
25.2% Scandinavian
0.9% South Asian

My Heritage overestimates Scandinavian. Results are much different than 23andme, Ancestry and FTdna.

Dorkymon
10-03-2020, 10:46 AM
My heritage results from 23andme data:42.3% Irish, Scottish and Welsh31.6% English 25.2% Scandinavian 0.9% South AsianMy Heritage overestimates Scandinavian. Results are much different than 23andme, Ancestry and FTdna.Wrong thread

jadegreg
10-03-2020, 03:20 PM
Wrong thread

I don't think it is for a 23 & me upload.

daragon39
10-05-2020, 06:57 PM
The Youtube Channel Family History Fanatics has a scheduled live stream comparing the new Ethnicities for Ancestry, MyHeritage and 23andMe for the 9th of October. So this tells me the new ethnicities for 23andMe and MyHeritage will likely be implemented this week since they usually get a heads up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vADg6E9z3gs

Nqp15hhu
10-05-2020, 10:50 PM
What are the categories?

sktibo
10-05-2020, 11:03 PM
The Youtube Channel Family History Fanatics has a scheduled live stream comparing the new Ethnicities for Ancestry, MyHeritage and 23andMe for the 9th of October. So this tells me the new ethnicities for 23andMe and MyHeritage will likely be implemented this week since they usually get a heads up.

Can't wait!

passenger
10-05-2020, 11:07 PM
Can't wait!

After that generally disappointing FTDNA update, the MH update had better be good!

timberwolf
10-05-2020, 11:15 PM
I guess we will all be watching that presentation.

Hopefully the updates will happen quickly as well. I am done with this coming soon one year wait.

sktibo
10-05-2020, 11:30 PM
After that generally disappointing FTDNA update, the MH update had better be good!

TBH i really enjoyed the MH update despite the results being terrible. I know I'll enjoy the MH update too, but that'd sure be a nice bonus if it were even half decent

StillWater
10-05-2020, 11:36 PM

You sure they're not referring to the update years ago or just mistitled the video?

daragon39
10-06-2020, 02:35 AM
You sure they're not referring to the update years ago or just mistitled the video?

I'm pretty sure it's for the coming update and not years ago because I asked in the chat and they deleted my chat comment without any reply. They also didn't update the title.

passenger
10-06-2020, 02:36 AM

Good point. We'll see.

timberwolf
10-06-2020, 03:05 AM
I'm pretty sure it's for the coming update and not years ago because I asked in the chat and they deleted my chat comment without any reply. They also didn't update the title.

I guess we will find out soon enough.

23abc
10-06-2020, 03:28 AM

Could be that he has VIP access to the updates already and is showcasing them. Doesn't mean everyone else will be getting access too.

indorabian
10-06-2020, 05:32 AM
Could be that he has VIP access to the updates already and is showcasing them. Doesn't mean everyone else will be getting access too.

yes tbh it sounds very odd to me as well �� how does this person get the update while 23andme and MH are still vague about the update...

Dorkymon
10-06-2020, 11:59 AM
False alarm apparently.

https://twitter.com/FHFanatics/status/1313123413146259456

rober_tce
10-06-2020, 12:52 PM
Obviously. I didn't have expectativas that 23andMe and MH making an upgrade at same time.

About MH and his upgrade, it's a joke. A year and we keep on with same estimation.

23andMe and their ambiguous answer to consumers is "funny". Where is v5.9? Why some new tester receive it and others new v5.2? A bit strange.

23abc
10-06-2020, 06:14 PM
How about this upcoming webinar by MyHeritage about their New Ethnicity Estimates? https://familytreewebinars.com/webinar_details.php?webinar_id=1298

Even if it's not coming out before that webinar I hope to learn more about it.

rober_tce
10-06-2020, 07:09 PM
How about this upcoming webinar by MyHeritage about their New Ethnicity Estimates? https://familytreewebinars.com/webinar_details.php?webinar_id=1298

I hope this company upgrade soon... many announces of their new super ethnicity estimation but nothing by now.

As we say in my land (Andalusia): "mucho lirili y poco lerele" (aprox. traduction: they talk much, but don't do anything).

timberwolf
10-06-2020, 07:47 PM
I hope this company upgrade soon... many announces of their new super ethnicity estimation but nothing by now.

As we say in my land (Andalusia): "mucho lirili y poco lerele" (aprox. traduction: they talk much, but don't do anything).

Or as a Yorkshire mate of mine would say all mouth and no trousers. But it sounds better in Spanish.

Nqp15hhu
10-06-2020, 09:30 PM
Not worth their salt in NI.

Shadogowah
10-07-2020, 07:40 AM
I talked to Ran Snir in Amsterdam. He made a good impression on me at the time. Their IT people look very competent.

What they are trying to do is in statistical terms very ambitious, However, I am not completely convinced it would work for everybody and I suspect this is the main reason for the delays.

Claudio
10-07-2020, 08:47 AM
I talked to Ran Snir in Amsterdam. He made a good impression on me at the time. Their IT people look very competent.

What they are trying to do is in statistical terms very ambitious, However, I am not completely convinced it would work for everybody and I suspect this is the main reason for the delays.

Interesting.. Could you elaborate?

Shadogowah
10-07-2020, 01:38 PM
Interesting.. Could you elaborate?

They showed a cool demo where they claim they could guess the most probable admixture of swedes at a regional level and even detect it in their offspring in the US. Part of these American people of Scandinavian origins actually came back to their ancestral land after a few generations and their DNA could even give hints of this pattern (X% of your admixture belongs to those in Y that went to US and came back).

I hope than one day the Hispanic world could count with such a cool tool to discern their Iberian ancestry but I suspect it can only work with very endogamous population.

Shadogowah
10-07-2020, 01:43 PM
On the other hand, I remember how this tool they have in their site that manages to cluster your matches was completely useless for a couple of Jewish gentlemen that were sitting beside me probably because of the very same reason.

sktibo
10-09-2020, 11:13 PM
So I guess we didn't get an update showing us what their new categories will be ?

MatAust21
10-09-2020, 11:52 PM
So I guess we didn't get an update showing us what their new categories will be ?

They will probably disclose something on the 27th of this month, if I am reading the webinar's date correctly:

A few months ago, MyHeritage did promise an update to our genetic results before the end of the year, so my guess would be this preview by the end of October, with the actual update being implemented to users in November or December. Just guessing.

sktibo
10-10-2020, 01:11 AM
They will probably disclose something on the 27th of this month, if I am reading the webinar's date correctly:

A few months ago, MyHeritage did promise an update to our genetic results before the end of the year, so my guess would be this preview by the end of October, with the actual update being implemented to users in November or December. Just guessing.

27th would be good. I'm all hopped up from the AncestryDNA and FTDNA updates so I'm hungry for another one.

timberwolf
10-10-2020, 01:27 AM
27th would be good. I'm all hopped up from the AncestryDNA and FTDNA updates so I'm hungry for another one.

With myheritage's track record saying that there would be an update last year I would not assume anything from them.

Hopefully the presentation on the 27th will be followed immediately by the update. However what I expect is a glance into what the update will offer, with the phase "coming soon" mentioned every five minutes.

I hope I am wrong.

sktibo
10-10-2020, 01:40 AM
With myheritage's track record saying that there would be an update last year I would not assume anything from them.

Hopefully the presentation on the 27th will be followed immediately by the update. However what I expect is a glance into what the update will offer, with the phase "coming soon" mentioned every five minutes.

I hope I am wrong.

unfortunately I think you'll be right

Nqp15hhu
10-10-2020, 10:40 AM
Probably the same Celtic and Anglo nonsense again anyway.

sktibo
10-11-2020, 03:16 AM
Probably the same Celtic and Anglo nonsense again anyway.

We can always hope that they try to split it into the countries of Britain and Ireland, even if the results are bad, it's much more interesting that way. If they're going to keep the results as an Ireland/Scotland and an England category, then the results better be accurate because they won't be as interesting.

timberwolf
10-11-2020, 05:08 AM
We can always hope that they try to split it into the countries of Britain and Ireland, even if the results are bad, it's much more interesting that way. If they're going to keep the results as an Ireland/Scotland and an England category, then the results better be accurate because they won't be as interesting.

I am more interested in what their version of genetic communities will be. The long wait will hopefully be worth it.

sktibo
10-11-2020, 05:51 AM
I am more interested in what their version of genetic communities will be. The long wait will hopefully be worth it.

Ah right.. it's been so long.. are we counting in years? since the announcement, I forgot what we were initially excited for!

timberwolf
10-11-2020, 06:00 AM
Ah right.. it's been so long.. are we counting in years? since the announcement, I forgot what we were initially excited for!

This thread started October 19th last year.

23abc
10-13-2020, 03:08 AM

The webinar has been pushed back from October to late December. It looks like we may be getting a close to Christmas release...

timberwolf
10-13-2020, 09:01 PM
The webinar has been pushed back from October to late December. It looks like we may be getting a close to Christmas release...

So the wait since this was first announced will extend past one year. Brilliant

jadegreg
10-13-2020, 11:50 PM
So the wait since this was first announced will extend past one year. Brilliant

Truly brilliant, isnt it? I hope it's worth the wait, but sadly I doubt it

timberwolf
10-13-2020, 11:52 PM
Truly brilliant, isnt it? I hope it's worth the wait, but sadly I doubt it

It had better be the best thing since sliced bread lol.

Mr.G
10-14-2020, 12:06 AM
The only thing that I can conclude from this long wait is that they know that their update sucks (probably something like the FTDNA update), and they are trying to improve it before the release. They should hire forum member Kaspias, I'm sure it would take him about 24 hours to get it right.

timberwolf
10-14-2020, 12:31 AM
The only thing that I can conclude from this long wait is that they know that their update sucks (probably something like the FTDNA update), and they are trying to improve it before the release. They should hire forum member Kaspias, I'm sure it would take him about 24 hours to get it right.

Actually if it does suck they are better off getting it out there as quick as they can. The looooong build up and wait, will make it far worse if it is not very good.

Customers are already irritated by the delay and something not good will get a stronger adverse reaction.

Dorkymon
10-17-2020, 11:48 PM

With each delay I receive secondhand embarrassment for opening this thread so early :lol:

Dorkymon
10-20-2020, 12:43 PM
MyHeritage seems to be down for me. Anyone else?

Buxoro
10-20-2020, 12:52 PM
Everything works for me.
Moreover works even smoother than before.

Randynsky
10-21-2020, 08:37 AM
Works like a charm

sktibo
11-10-2020, 05:35 AM
Any news?
Still looking like Christmas or... Christmas 2021?

BalkanKiwi
11-10-2020, 06:01 AM
Any news?
Still looking like Christmas or... Christmas 2021?

MyHeritage: "What update? :confused:"

sktibo
11-10-2020, 06:12 AM
MyHeritage: "What update? :confused:"

Did we say our reference panel was flawed and outdated? we meant to say "we're the best, no update necessary"

BalkanKiwi
11-10-2020, 06:18 AM
Did we say our reference panel was flawed and outdated? we meant to say "we're the best, no update necessary"

Does our website still say beta? That means our ethnicity estimates are "beta" than the other companies, so why update?

Borte
11-10-2020, 06:07 PM
I contacted them not long ago:

"I understand that you're interested in the Genetic Communities that our CEO Gilad announced in a conference back in June.

You're right in you assessment that it will break your Ethnicity Estimate down into a "higher definition" grouping, which is really exciting!

Unfortunately, there haven't been any further updates on when this will be available, but I can assure you that we're working hard to get it live as quickly as we can, while also being sure that the information we provide is as accurate as it can be.

I hope that clarifies. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reply to this email and I'll get back to you as soon as possible."

BananaPhoneica
11-10-2020, 07:19 PM
right its a bit of a pisstake really
on their twitter page, a reply to this dude on their pre holiday sale they said:
'The update on the Ethnicity Estimate is in the pipeline and once live we will make a public announcement! Stay tuned!'
They're going live on the 22nd december or something
also someone said:
'Awesome. Is there any chance to participate in beta testing?'
and they replied:
'Thanks for the offer Sasha but we are all set!'.
Right then ladies and gents, so apparently they are ready to set it out so? I'm assuming they're going to roll it out december 22nd ish :P

Dorkymon
11-10-2020, 08:20 PM
right its a bit of a pisstake really
on their twitter page, a reply to this dude on their pre holiday sale they said:
'The update on the Ethnicity Estimate is in the pipeline and once live we will make a public announcement! Stay tuned!'
They're going live on the 22nd december or something
also someone said:
'Awesome. Is there any chance to participate in beta testing?'
and they replied:
'Thanks for the offer Sasha but we are all set!'.
Right then ladies and gents, so apparently they are ready to set it out so? I'm assuming they're going to roll it out december 22nd ish :P

It seems that they are not going to give any other estimates and will announce only when it's already available for everyone.

timberwolf
11-10-2020, 09:10 PM
It seems that they are not going to give any other estimates and will announce only when it's already available for everyone.

Probably a good idea. Hopefully around December 22nd it will be released. But before anyone gets too excited, this seminar was originally set for October 27th and got postponed two months, It would not surprise me if they again push it back to February/March next year.

As for the customer service reply about their CEO talking about it in June, no it was first mentioned October 2019 and they have been talking about releasing ancestry updates since the beginning of 2019.

So their customer base has been waiting a very long time.

coffeeprince
11-10-2020, 10:45 PM
Haha, the seminar was actually scheduled for May, and then got pushed back to October!

timberwolf
11-10-2020, 11:04 PM
Haha, the seminar was actually scheduled for May, and then got pushed back to October!

Really! Wait for the next delay then.

sktibo
11-11-2020, 04:59 AM
Despite how bad their current estimate is, I am weirdly excited for this one. Maybe I just love being disappointed? That's kind of what this DNA game is in a nutshell anyhow eh?
Disappointed that we don't have results, and then
Disappointed in the results that we get

timberwolf
11-11-2020, 07:01 AM
Despite how bad their current estimate is, I am weirdly excited for this one. Maybe I just love being disappointed? That's kind of what this DNA game is in a nutshell anyhow eh?
Disappointed that we don't have results, and then
Disappointed in the results that we get

I am looking forward to it as well, mainly because they are the one company that really needs an overhaul of their ancestry estimate.

Yes we all seem to be disappointed once they arrive.

Still we will all get the update, unlike another company who's philosophy seems to be all of us are equal but some of us are more equal than others. Apologies to George Orwell.

MacEochaidh
11-11-2020, 03:39 PM
I have a Dad and three grandparents from Belfast and one Quebecoise grandmother, so I expect the update to show me as 100% Scandinavian.

Rufus191
11-12-2020, 06:06 PM
I have a Dad and three grandparents from Belfast and one Quebecoise grandmother, so I expect the update to show me as 100% Scandinavian.
:biggrin1:good one

sktibo
11-12-2020, 08:55 PM

I am not betting against this, however, may I add that your result will actually be closer to 95% Scandinavian and 5% North African?

timberwolf
11-13-2020, 12:13 AM
I am not betting against this, however, may I add that your result will actually be closer to 95% Scandinavian and 5% North African?

Hoping we can all have our moan about their update this Year, not next year not 2022 whenever.

Actually I am not sure if they are updating the main ancestry estimate. Thought their focus was on their version of genetic communities

sktibo
11-13-2020, 12:15 AM
Hoping we can all have our moan about their update this Year, not next year not 2022 whenever.

Actually I am not sure if they are updating the main ancestry estimate. Thought their focus was on their version of genetic communities

Whatever it is, I'll take it.

sktibo
11-15-2020, 05:48 AM
General insanity indicates I should probably take a hiatus from here pretty soon. Can I count on you other fanatics to post your results madly here once the update arrives so that I'll know when the time to rejoin the madness comes?

timberwolf
11-15-2020, 07:07 AM
General insanity indicates I should probably take a hiatus from here pretty soon. Can I count on you other fanatics to post your results madly here once the update arrives so that I'll know when the time to rejoin the madness comes?

The Canucks will probably win the Stanley Cup before this update arrives. You could be taking a very long break if you are waiting on this company.

sktibo
11-15-2020, 07:11 AM
The Canucks will probably win the Stanley Cup before this update arrives. You could be taking a very long break if you are waiting on this company.

Go Canucks!

cvolt
11-22-2020, 02:38 PM
Since the test is currently $39 for Black Friday, I just wanted to mention that I have done the 23andme and Ancestry transfers, as well as the actual MH test kit, and all three results are within a few percentages of each other. (If anyone was pondering buying the actual test). Hopefully they update sometime soon, I have hope for them.

coffeeprince
11-22-2020, 05:32 PM
So in an email I received from MyHeritage stating that their DNA test is 50% off, it also mentions this: "NEW: Pinpoint your origins among 2100+ geographic regions" .... since they are now advertising it, that must mean it is coming.

timberwolf
11-22-2020, 06:44 PM
So in an email I received from MyHeritage stating that their DNA test is 50% off, it also mentions this: "NEW: Pinpoint your origins among 2100+ geographic regions" .... since they are now advertising it, that must mean it is coming.

Can you cut and paste that email? The part about the new regions.

coffeeprince
11-22-2020, 06:51 PM
Can you cut and paste that email? The part about the new regions.

I did - above. That's all that was mentioned.

timberwolf
11-22-2020, 07:41 PM
I did - above. That's all that was mentioned.

Good news. FTDNA started to advertise their updated regions just before they did their update.

So lets hope this all happens before the end of the year.

Nqp15hhu
11-22-2020, 08:14 PM
So will this be like GC’s?

timberwolf
11-22-2020, 08:17 PM
So will this be like GC’s?

Yes. Whether the main ancestry estimate gets an update is unknown,

BalkanKiwi
11-22-2020, 09:33 PM
Interesting wording. I'm curious to see if this update is just for those who have purchased a MyHeritage kit, or for uploaded kits as well. I would assume it's for everyone and maybe it's been confirmed in the past and I haven't seen it, but advertising it with a kit sale is a good marketing strategy for them.

Adamm
11-22-2020, 09:42 PM
https://i.imgur.com/5tTGZOS.png

timberwolf
11-22-2020, 09:57 PM
I have just received that email. Interesting, think the update is for everybody. Imagine the meltdown if it was not. Wait over a year for the update and you do not get it.