PDA

View Full Version : Sexual Dimorphism in Humans

Alanson
10-24-2019, 07:20 PM
Will Humans still be sexually dimorphic in the distant future if we all of us were practicing Monogamy rather than Polygamy like Gorillas and so on? Or is it simply based on sexual selection that males and females find certain traits on each other attractive to keep our dimorphism in tact?

Mandoos
10-24-2019, 10:14 PM
Media trends are enough to keep that form of selection now I guess. Well, some of them. I'm more concerned with fertility companies these days complicating pregnancies with triplets, quintuplets and the like. Not enough cases to actually make a difference (I'm not necessarily an anti-natalist, as life in any form shouldn't be condoned at least by us) but it's a very direct downhill example of where our genes can head under certain circumstances. If genes of infertility are spread easily then that defeats the purpose of dimorphism. It's not just the obvious outward assets but the balance of female hormones to support healthy natural childbirth. It can get pretty wacked in infertile women to support metabolic dysfunction - which is supposedly an adaptation to starvation. Meant for less kids but prioritized brain development and survival. Now if there's too many, and too many not adapted for a world with an altered food supply you're definitely going to see less "feminine" ones.

Alanson
10-24-2019, 10:28 PM
Media trends are enough to keep that form of selection now I guess. Well, some of them. I'm more concerned with fertility companies these days complicating pregnancies with triplets, quintuplets and the like. Not enough cases to actually make a difference (I'm not necessarily and anti-natalist, as life in any form shouldn't be condoned at least by us) but it's a very direct downhill example of where our genes can head under certain circumstances. If genes of infertility are spread easily then that defeats the purpose of dimorphism. It's not just the obvious outward assets but the balance of female hormones to support healthy natural childbirth. It can get pretty wacked in infertile women to support metabolic dysfunction - which is supposedly an adaptation to starvation. Meant for less kids but prioritized brain development and survival. Now if there's too many, and too many not adapted for a world with an altered food supply you're definitely going to see less "feminine" ones.

Well, I was just simply asking whether or not monogamy would have any effects on the sexual traits difference between men and women.

Mandoos
10-24-2019, 10:32 PM
Well, I was just simply asking whether or not monogamy would have any effects on the sexual traits difference between men and women.

Having observed birds copulating and how different the males usually look I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be an issue :lol:

Alanson
10-24-2019, 10:37 PM
Having observed birds copulating and how different the males usually look I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be an issue :lol:

Hmm, but don't most Birds cheat on the other spouse though? I mean, is that the reason why most Birds are sexually dimorphic even though they're socially Monogamous for the most part? Because they cheat? I'm not familiar to any of this.

Mandoos
10-25-2019, 12:34 AM
Hmm, but don't most Birds cheat on the other spouse though? I mean, is that the reason why most Birds are sexually dimorphic even though they're socially Monogamous for the most part? Because they cheat? I'm not familiar to any of this.

I think thats polyandry since they've just observed eggs fertilized by different males. Hypothetically it should operate differently from polygyny as observed in tigers, gorillas and humans. Females should be more dimorphic in polyandry and males in polygyny. Perhaps the issue isnt monogamy but how much selection there has been by one gender.

Alanson
10-25-2019, 12:41 AM
I think thats polyandry since they've just observed eggs fertilized by different males. Hypothetically it should operate differently from polygyny as observed in tigers, gorillas and humans. Females should be more dimorphic in polyandry and males in polygyny. Perhaps the issue isnt monogamy but how much selection there has been by one gender.

Makes sense considering that Birds lay eggs in contrast to Mammals.