PDA

View Full Version : Living DNA Ancestry upgrade

Nqp15hhu
11-13-2019, 01:18 AM
I have just been given the option to upgrade my account to show ancestry. Please, can someone tell me if this is the full results? Will this be worth it for someone from Northern Ireland?

Thank You.

Recent Ancestry Upgrade
£29.00
Explore the most detailed view of your recent ancestry uncovering the history of where your ancestry comes from.

You will receive:

Detailed regional ancestry breakdown

Subregional breakdowns where possible

Historic regional data and maps

sktibo
11-13-2019, 05:48 AM
I have just been given the option to upgrade my account to show ancestry. Please, can someone tell me if this is the full results? Will this be worth it for someone from Northern Ireland?

Thank You.

Recent Ancestry Upgrade
£29.00
Explore the most detailed view of your recent ancestry uncovering the history of where your ancestry comes from.

You will receive:

Detailed regional ancestry breakdown

Subregional breakdowns where possible

Historic regional data and maps

Is it a great test? no, but which commercial test works best for each person varies pretty greatly. I really don't think it will answer your questions about division between British and Irish regions, as people with entirely Irish ancestries still get British results on this. Maybe it will be of interest to you though? It's tough to say. It DOES offer a split between the regions of Britain which is really fun to see which areas you match the most closely, but IMO it is similar to a G25 calculator with all populations being used: the regions you are closest to will remain despite changes and will appear in larger percentages, while the regions you may not have ancestry from will splinter into small percentages.

That is supposed to give you the full "regional" results, yes. Heads up that for many people there seems to be a lot of technical difficulties with the site however.

Nqp15hhu
11-13-2019, 06:12 AM
So itís not worth buying?

StillWater
11-13-2019, 06:29 AM
I'll consider it if they'll go deeper than country estimates.

sktibo
11-13-2019, 06:41 AM
So it’s not worth buying?

That depends on your financial situation, really. If 29 pounds ain't much to you then I'd just get it on the chance that it might be interesting. If you're going to be upset that you bought something that tells you nothing, then don't chance it.

digital_noise
11-13-2019, 07:13 AM
thoughts on if its worth it to upload Ancestry data even if you already did their test? I'm not very impressed with their test to be honest so Im leaning towards not bothering...

RVBLAKE
11-13-2019, 11:49 AM
A question: I've been re-uploading raw data from my various DNA tests to My True Ancestry to see the latest analyses there. Since Living DNA has remodeled their format I cannot find how to access the raw data at that site. All the instructions I've found online address the site before the remodel. Am I missing something?

enmety
11-13-2019, 12:37 PM
My "upgraded" results. Actually I don't like them at all. I dont have any British ancestry afaik and I assume they confused it with Scandinavian or German.
I wouldnt recommend it to be honest. It might be helpful for poeple with British Isles ancestry though.

34575 34576

enmety
11-13-2019, 12:44 PM
A question: I've been re-uploading raw data from my various DNA tests to My True Ancestry to see the latest analyses there. Since Living DNA has remodeled their format I cannot find how to access the raw data at that site. All the instructions I've found online address the site before the remodel. Am I missing something?

It's easy to get there. Just go to "DNA profiles" and then hit the profile, scroll down and there you have access to your raw DNA. I hope I could help.

RVBLAKE
11-13-2019, 12:53 PM
My "upgraded" results. Actually I don't like them at all. I dont have any British ancestry afaik and I assume they confused it with Scandinavian or German.
I wouldnt recommend it to be honest. It might be helpful for poeple with British Isles ancestry though.

34575 34576

I have 37.5% English ancestry, by genealogy. Living DNA gives me 86% British, which seems wildly out of sync. 23andMe and Ancestry give me 40 - 50%.

enmety
11-13-2019, 12:58 PM
I have 37.5% English ancestry, by genealogy. Living DNA gives me 86% British, which seems wildly out of sync. 23andMe and Ancestry give me 40 - 50%.

Yea it looks like they give out too much British Isles ancestry :) Actually most of my matches in gedmatch do have British Isles ancestry however I know that most of my ancestors don't come from there (of course lots of them migrated to USA/Australia/South America). Its still a problem for most companies to distinguish between Scandinavian, German and British Isles. I hope this will improve in the future.

RVBLAKE
11-13-2019, 01:36 PM
It's easy to get there. Just go to "DNA profiles" and then hit the profile, scroll down and there you have access to your raw DNA. I hope I could help.

Yup, that did it...Thanks. It just occurred to me that I'm pretty sure I uploaded my raw data from 23andMe or Ancestry to Living DNA some time ago. I've already uploaded the data from those 2 sites to My True Ancestry, so I'm covered.