PDA

View Full Version : R1a SNP/STR Order L260 - YSEQ

enmety
11-13-2019, 04:02 PM
Dear group members,

Im planning to buy a STR or SNP pack from YSEQ. I'm asking for help since I only know the my subclade "L260" and don't know what to buy (SNP or STR, which test etc.). I got my subclade result through 23andMe. Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance :)

MacUalraig
11-13-2019, 04:07 PM
Dear group members,

Im planning to buy a STR or SNP pack from YSEQ. I'm asking for help since I only know the my subclade "L260" and don't know what to buy (SNP or STR, which test etc.). I got my subclade result through 23andMe. Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance :)

Here is my tip: search for the SNP then search through the results for 'Panel' and then click 'Buy'. :-)

Unless of course there are more than one then you'd need to pick one.

https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=10131

An STR test will not tell you anything useful.

enmety
11-13-2019, 04:33 PM
Here is my tip: search for the SNP then search through the results for 'Panel' and then click 'Buy'. :-)

Unless of course there are more than one then you'd need to pick one.

https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=10131

An STR test will not tell you anything useful.

Thanks MacUalraig. Do you think that YSEQ is better than FTDNA for example? I think the only disadvantage is to not become a part of the R1a matches in the FTDNA data bank?! Kind regards :)

MacUalraig
11-13-2019, 05:39 PM
Thanks MacUalraig. Do you think that YSEQ is better than FTDNA for example? I think the only disadvantage is to not become a part of the R1a matches in the FTDNA data bank?! Kind regards :)

The problem is that FTDNA would make you test STRs first and your STR matches can be a mix of false positives and/or people who haven't done a SNP test. They don't actually have a SNP matching database apart from the more expensive sequencing one. Some people like to have an accessible list of 'matches' though. You then have to go through them and persuade them to spend more money to SNP test.