PDA

View Full Version : How common is it for Italians to get their DNA tested?

tatals
11-17-2019, 07:16 PM
I'm in a bit of a conundrum here.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm Brazilian. My paper trail ancestry is 1/2 Italy, 1/4 Portugal, 1/4 Brazil (Colonial Portuguese + Amerindian).

Now, I never get as many matches as people from other places, because testing is not very popular around here yet - even though people are starting to get interested.

So far, I've got 519 matches on FTDNA (my original testing company), and 599 on MyHeritage. GEDmatch gives me 19,790. Of course I haven't checked everyone, but MH has an advantage over the other companies, because we can filter people's data (where they're from, what ethnicities we share), so I was able to notice a trend.

I'm 50% Italian on paper, but I've been getting comparatively low Italian on my ancestry results everywhere. MH gives me the highest Italian over all the companies, 27%. Then 22,5% Iberian - fair -, and the rest goes to North-Central-West Europe. Granted: since I'm northern Italian, I guess a lot of this goes to other results? That wouldn't really bother me, if it weren't for this: out of my 599 matches on MH, only 6 (SIX!) are from Italy - and one of them is actually ethnically Portuguese. I get more people on Germany and Norway, for example, than in Italy. Now, if I filter the results to get everyone with Italian background, I do get 138. I still find this pretty low, though, considering this is my main background. Which is making me panic a little bit. I've noticed this pattern follows on FTDNA and GEDmatch as well, where I'm getting many more Iberian - fair - and Northern matches.

So, the only explanation I can find is this: is it rare for Italians to do these tests? It seems like it's a common trend all over Europe, but I guess Italians don't really bother? Please help me understand.

Caius Agrippa
11-17-2019, 10:01 PM
I have the same issue.

Most Italians tested are actually Southern Italians living in USA or anglosphere, they are not even fully Italian ethnically, some are only 1/8, and that means they are not good to compare our DNA with to see what we inherited specifically from Italians here in Brazil where the main background is from the North of Italy.

tatals
11-17-2019, 11:01 PM
I have the same issue.

Most Italians tested are actually Southern Italians living in USA or anglosphere, they are not even fully Italian ethnically, some are only 1/8, and that means they are not good to compare our DNA with to see what we inherited specifically from Italians here in Brazil where the main background is from the North of Italy.

Are you on GEDmatch? I'd love to compare our results.

Genetique
11-17-2019, 11:17 PM
For Italians I can say that there are very large discrepancies between the provinces and the regions for DNA testing.

For example you have tons of sicilian results and also from Reggio Calabria/Vibo Valentia (Southern Calabria), almost none from Cosenza (Northern Calabria). Apulia also has very little people that have done this test.

N.Italy and C.Italy have very few results as well.

I think the majority of the results are from S.Italy, and in S.Italy, they come predominantly from Sicily/Campania or parts of Calabria.

Italians actually aren't that well informed about these tests.