PDA

View Full Version : Living DNA members update

Pages : [1] 2 3

firemonkey
11-29-2019, 05:40 PM
Got email telling me this . I go to log in, and get a blank white page !

timberwolf
12-02-2019, 03:58 AM
Why am I not surprised.

firemonkey
12-02-2019, 10:06 AM
Finally managed to lo'gin to see I have 2 profiles. Both are listed as 'testing'. The original paid,Find my past transfer,£29 full results and father's full results have disappeared.

Celt_??
12-07-2019, 05:28 PM
Got email telling me this . I go to log in, and get a blank white page !

Hi, Firemonkey - Today was my first log-in since last Spring and was surprised to see only one autosomal DNA results page now with only one map - the so-called Complete view - which they did mention in the overview to the update.

JonikW
12-07-2019, 08:39 PM
Hi, Firemonkey - Today was my first log-in since last Spring and was surprised to see only one autosomal DNA results page now with only one map - the so-called Complete view - which they did mention in the overview to the update.

That's a big loss in my opinion. I preferred the cautious view because I still suspect that the POBI study that LDNA tapped into was right in showing a uniform red for most of England. So I think broad brush strokes give the better picture here. Even trying to differentiate Southeast England from the Northern regions, for example, is problematic in my view.

sktibo
12-07-2019, 08:56 PM
I preferred the cautious view because I still suspect that the POBI study that LDNA tapped into was right in showing a uniform red for most of England. So I think broad brush strokes give the better picture here. Even trying to differentiate Southeast England from the Northern regions, for example, is problematic in my view.

Although in my case Cautious view didn't offer much, I couldn't agree more with your reasoning.

Cunobelinus_T
12-09-2019, 01:26 AM
That's a big loss in my opinion. I preferred the cautious view because I still suspect that the POBI study that LDNA tapped into was right in showing a uniform red for most of England. So I think broad brush strokes give the better picture here. Even trying to differentiate Southeast England from the Northern regions, for example, is problematic in my view.

Couldn't agree more, JonikW. Immediately prior to LDNA's 'update', my mum's Cautious view was practically a bang-on match for what we've been able to determine from documentary research across the Isles. Mine has always been a little dodgy as my dad's Finnish contribution to my mix seems to have confused matters :P Most significantly in our case, the Cautious view gave a much more accurate representation of our Ulster Scots + Cumbrian branch than does the Complete view. It's a shame that's vanished from the system, but I'm glad we took screenshots of the old views.

Anyone have any news on whether LDNA's 'Ireland' cluster is likely to become more fine-grained than it is at the moment? Currently my sense of things is that 'Ireland' almost pops up in LDNA results if you've got heritage from anywhere on the west coast of Britain from Cornwall to Scotland, as well as Ireland, of course. If they're going to stick with this single view approach, they'll need to get this sorted methinks.

msmarjoribanks
12-09-2019, 11:39 PM
Interesting about the Ireland results (and totally agree about the need for the cautious mode).

They apparently still have not updated my old results -- which remain exactly the same -- since the addition of the Irish panel. As a result, I continue to get no Irish or Scottish results at all (but for a little Orkney), whereas both of my parents do (note: my parents are uploads from FTDNA, mine is an actual LDNA test).

My dad gets:

Ireland 5.6%
North Wales 4.6%
South Wales 1.6%

This is interesting since I get more Welsh than him (as well as some Welsh borders), and my Welsh comes from him (and is actually seemingly accurate). Maybe this explains his Ireland result, as misidentified Welsh?

My mom gets:

Ireland 6.7%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 6%
South Wales 5.8%
Northwest Scotland 2.5%

She does have Irish (Northern) ancestry on paper, so this makes sense. I don't know of any Welsh ancestry but it's possible.

It continues to miss German, though, as my mother is likely about 50% German and Swedish (she has a grandmother who was Swedish, plus German and Swiss dating from American colonial era), and gets only 15% Swedish, no German.

So long as they are counting German as English, I suspect it's distorting all of their regional results.

daragon39
12-19-2019, 04:58 PM
So I have been chatting with someone over at Living DNA and here is what I learned.
The Irish Update still hasn't officially happened, they are only in year 3 of 5 of the project.
The anticipated new ethnicity update is scheduled to happen around New Years time.

timberwolf
12-20-2019, 12:12 AM
So I have been chatting with someone over at Living DNA and here is what I learned.
The Irish Update still hasn't officially happened, they are only in year 3 of 5 of the project.
The anticipated new ethnicity update is scheduled to happen around New Years time.

Thanks.

Still I will believe it when I see it.

geebee
12-20-2019, 01:35 AM
Interesting about the Ireland results (and totally agree about the need for the cautious mode).

They apparently still have not updated my old results -- which remain exactly the same -- since the addition of the Irish panel. As a result, I continue to get no Irish or Scottish results at all (but for a little Orkney), whereas both of my parents do (note: my parents are uploads from FTDNA, mine is an actual LDNA test).

My dad gets:

Ireland 5.6%
North Wales 4.6%
South Wales 1.6%

This is interesting since I get more Welsh than him (as well as some Welsh borders), and my Welsh comes from him (and is actually seemingly accurate). Maybe this explains his Ireland result, as misidentified Welsh?

My mom gets:

Ireland 6.7%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 6%
South Wales 5.8%
Northwest Scotland 2.5%

She does have Irish (Northern) ancestry on paper, so this makes sense. I don't know of any Welsh ancestry but it's possible.

It continues to miss German, though, as my mother is likely about 50% German and Swedish (she has a grandmother who was Swedish, plus German and Swiss dating from American colonial era), and gets only 15% Swedish, no German.

So long as they are counting German as English, I suspect it's distorting all of their regional results.

They don't seem to be counting German as English for me, but partly as French. I still get 26.3% "Germanic", which is about 10% less than my paper trail shows. I actually get no English at LivingDNA, but instead I have 12.6% "Ireland" and 7.7% "Northwest Scotland".

This is a huge contrast from Ancestry, which gives me 73% "England, Wales and Northwestern Europe", and only 10% "Germanic Europe". On the other hand, Ancestry is now reporting 14% "Ireland and Scotland", which is obviously less than LivingDNA's total for these two together -- 20.3%.

LivingDNA gives me an ancestry that AncestryDNA doesn't "see" at all: 45.5% "France". I actually do have some French ancestry, but only about 3.1% on paper. However, I have an additional 6.25% Alsatian from my maternal grandmother's paternal grandmother, which certainly might be identified as part of this region (and my 2nd great grandmother's birthplace is, after all, in France). There's also 1.2% Swiss that could test as "France", although it's from a German-speaking region. Together this still only accounts for a bit more than 10%, so obviously some other ancestries are being identified as part of "France" here. As I said, some of my German and even more of my British. (Technically, I don't know whether I have any English; my known "British" ancestry is all Scottish and Scots-Irish.)

LivingDNA also still "sees" at least some of my Menorcan Spanish ancestry, since they report 7.9% "Iberian Peninsula". My actual total for this ancestry, on paper, is 12.5%. However, on LivingDNA's region map the island of Menorca is shown as part of the "France" region, as is the island of Mallorca. So it's possible that my Menorcan ancestry is actually being split between "Iberian Peninsula" and "France". At least I'm not getting Ancestry's 0% for this ancestry (2018 update), or 1% (2019 update).

The only ancestry that LivingDNA completely misses is Native American. This is in my tree at about 2% (more precisely, 1.95%), and appears as 2.1% at 23andMe, as "less than" 2% at FTDNA, and 1% at Ancestry in the 2019 update. In the 2018 update at Ancestry, it was 2%, so perhaps 1% had to vanish to make any room at all for the "Spanish". At least that makes it possible for me to see when one of my matches also has any Spanish, even if they've selected "Your DNA matches can only see the portion of your ethnic regions and Genetic Communitiesô they have in common with you".

Interestingly, the range never changed at all: it's still shown as 0-3%. What changed is how Ancestry is using the DNA from members of their "Indigenous Americas" reference panel. Unlike with other panels, they aren't necessarily using all of the DNA results of the panel members, but only the portion meeting certain criteria. (See the Ethnicity Estimate 2019 White Paper at https://www.ancestrycdn.com/dna/static/pdf/whitepapers/EV2019_white_paper.pdf.)

What's unclear to me is whether when members of a reference panel had DNA from more than one indigenous region, were they counted for all of them or only one? The reason it isn't clear is that Ancestry sees each of the regions as completely separate, so that if one person has "Indigenous Americas - North" and a match has "Indigenous Americas - Mexico", these represent different "ethnicities". So if you have, say, "Indigenous Americas - North" and your match has "Indigenous Americas - Mexico", unless the match elected to show all ethnicities you would have no way of knowing this. Even if you have "Indigenous Americas - Mexico" and your match has "Indigenous Americas - Yucatan", you still would not know. Apparently, these never overlap.:rolleyes:

msmarjoribanks
12-22-2019, 06:18 PM
They don't seem to be counting German as English for me, but partly as French. I still get 26.3% "Germanic", which is about 10% less than my paper trail shows. I actually get no English at LivingDNA, but instead I have 12.6% "Ireland" and 7.7% "Northwest Scotland".

This is a huge contrast from Ancestry, which gives me 73% "England, Wales and Northwestern Europe", and only 10% "Germanic Europe". On the other hand, Ancestry is now reporting 14% "Ireland and Scotland", which is obviously less than LivingDNA's total for these two together -- 20.3%.

LivingDNA gives me an ancestry that AncestryDNA doesn't "see" at all: 45.5% "France". I actually do have some French ancestry, but only about 3.1% on paper. However, I have an additional 6.25% Alsatian from my maternal grandmother's paternal grandmother, which certainly might be identified as part of this region (and my 2nd great grandmother's birthplace is, after all, in France). There's also 1.2% Swiss that could test as "France", although it's from a German-speaking region. Together this still only accounts for a bit more than 10%, so obviously some other ancestries are being identified as part of "France" here. As I said, some of my German and even more of my British. (Technically, I don't know whether I have any English; my known "British" ancestry is all Scottish and Scots-Irish.)

LivingDNA also still "sees" at least some of my Menorcan Spanish ancestry, since they report 7.9% "Iberian Peninsula". My actual total for this ancestry, on paper, is 12.5%. However, on LivingDNA's region map the island of Menorca is shown as part of the "France" region, as is the island of Mallorca. So it's possible that my Menorcan ancestry is actually being split between "Iberian Peninsula" and "France". At least I'm not getting Ancestry's 0% for this ancestry (2018 update), or 1% (2019 update).

The only ancestry that LivingDNA completely misses is Native American. This is in my tree at about 2% (more precisely, 1.95%), and appears as 2.1% at 23andMe, as "less than" 2% at FTDNA, and 1% at Ancestry in the 2019 update. In the 2018 update at Ancestry, it was 2%, so perhaps 1% had to vanish to make any room at all for the "Spanish". At least that makes it possible for me to see when one of my matches also has any Spanish, even if they've selected "Your DNA matches can only see the portion of your ethnic regions and Genetic Communities™ they have in common with you".

Interestingly, the range never changed at all: it's still shown as 0-3%. What changed is how Ancestry is using the DNA from members of their "Indigenous Americas" reference panel. Unlike with other panels, they aren't necessarily using all of the DNA results of the panel members, but only the portion meeting certain criteria. (See the Ethnicity Estimate 2019 White Paper at https://www.ancestrycdn.com/dna/static/pdf/whitepapers/EV2019_white_paper.pdf.)

What's unclear to me is whether when members of a reference panel had DNA from more than one indigenous region, were they counted for all of them or only one? The reason it isn't clear is that Ancestry sees each of the regions as completely separate, so that if one person has "Indigenous Americas - North" and a match has "Indigenous Americas - Mexico", these represent different "ethnicities". So if you have, say, "Indigenous Americas - North" and your match has "Indigenous Americas - Mexico", unless the match elected to show all ethnicities you would have no way of knowing this. Even if you have "Indigenous Americas - Mexico" and your match has "Indigenous Americas - Yucatan", you still would not know. Apparently, these never overlap.:rolleyes:

A lot of people lately seem to either have their German show up correctly on LivingDNA or attributed as French (or as a couple of posts ago, even have French classified as German).

For some reason it's just missing mine entirely (and my mother's, who should be about 25%; my dad has a little too, but sufficiently less that it's not as remarkable that his gets missed).

I'm very curious if when they eventually (one hopes, knock on wood) take my German ancestry out of what is being counted as English if that changes my regions significantly. It seems like it's got to be distorting them somewhat.

boilermeschew827
12-22-2019, 08:35 PM
A lot of people lately seem to either have their German show up correctly on LivingDNA or attributed as French (or as a couple of posts ago, even have French classified as German).

For some reason it's just missing mine entirely (and my mother's, who should be about 25%; my dad has a little too, but sufficiently less that it's not as remarkable that his gets missed).

I'm very curious if when they eventually (one hopes, knock on wood) take my German ancestry out of what is being counted as English if that changes my regions significantly. It seems like it's got to be distorting them somewhat.

I agree and don’t know where my French is either. Should be near 25%, but with my swab test I end up with 42.2% EE, 9.3% Finnish 5.8% Baltic, 19.2% Germanic, 10.4% Scandinavian and 13.1% Irish and Scottish.

Based on what I’m learning about north German, Danish, Scottish and Irish populations I wouldn’t be surprised if the assigned Irish/Scottish is misplaced something North Sea-ish. Perhaps the French is in the Germanic category or they are so unconfident in France that it’s skewing my EE category to something unreasonable, at least that was what their explanation to me was.

The weird thing is, I did an upload with 23andMe and AncestryDNA and I get Iberian as a proxy for France. They just seem so unsure of assignments when I compare my swab to my uploads that it leaves me with little confidence in what they’re doing.

Telfermagne
12-26-2019, 03:25 PM

If/when that update comes will it be free or have to be purchased?

I've been tested on the Orion chip; my father on the initial release of Sirius chip. I then uploaded FTDNA raw data for me and both parents and there's something sticking out with regard to the Irish panel.

With the FTDNA uploads there's some allotments to Ireland that were not initially available with the days of Orion or even early Sirius, but all of a sudden I pay for another product (interpretation of uploaded data) and it shows up - seems like they aren't in the habit of automatically updating results (original Orion or early Sirius profiles) or doing it for free at least.

daragon39
12-27-2019, 12:09 PM
If/when that update comes will it be free or have to be purchased?

I've been tested on the Orion chip; my father on the initial release of Sirius chip. I then uploaded FTDNA raw data for me and both parents and there's something sticking out with regard to the Irish panel.

With the FTDNA uploads there's some allotments to Ireland that were not initially available with the days of Orion or even early Sirius, but all of a sudden I pay for another product (interpretation of uploaded data) and it shows up - seems like they aren't in the habit of automatically updating results (original Orion or early Sirius profiles) or doing it for free at least.

If you paid for your results the upgrade should be free. If they decide to charge people for it then they would be opening themselves up to potential legal issues.

Telfermagne
12-27-2019, 12:27 PM
If you paid for your results the upgrade should be free. If they decide to charge people for it then they would be opening themselves up to potential legal issues.

I definitely paid for results (I'm an Orion customer, my father is an early Sirius release customer), but have never received any update - the only reason I was able to be compared to the Irish panel at all was because I purchased an additional product (interpretation of FTDNA raw data).

SUPREEEEEME
01-25-2020, 06:04 PM
It seems that there will be a webinar on Tuesday (28th Jan) where they will be demoing an ancestry update. Hopefully, they will give us a date on when everyone's results will be updated.

"Senior Product Manager, Katie Welka, will be hosting an open Living DNA release announcement webinar about an exciting update that is happening very soon."

firemonkey
01-25-2020, 06:43 PM
It'll be so exciting I'll still be 100% British and Irish :)

Robert1
01-26-2020, 12:00 AM
It'll be so exciting I'll still be 100% British and Irish :)

Maybe and maybe not, you might lose half a percent! ;)

These are the five results I've gotten from Living DNA from my Orion test in 2017, Sirius test, then beta updates on both, then my recent data file upload

Robert ------------- Orion 2017 - Sirius 12/12/18 - Orion 2/13/19 - Sirius 4/30/19 - FTDNA Data 12/1/19
Great Britain and Ireland -- 98.7% ---100.0% ------ 100.0% ----------- 100.0% ----- 97.8%
Northwest Scotland -------- 20.8% ---- 23.0% ------- 12.5% ----------- 13.8% ------- 14.8%
Aberdeenshire --------------- 6.9% ---- 14.6% --------- 3.7% ----------- 7.0% --------- 6.9%
SW Scotland & N. Ireland --- 1.3% ----- 2.5% ---------------------------- 2.7% --------- 1.6%
Ireland ------------------------ 6.1% --- 37.6% -------- 31.1% ----------- 28.4% ------- 28.4%
Northumbria ------------------ 3.9% ---------------------------------------- 1.2% ----------------
Northwest England ---------- 10.0% ---- 3.5% --------------------------------------------- 1.6%
Cumbria ---------------------------------------------------- 3.8% ----------- 1.9% --------- 1.9%
North Yorkshire --------------- 5.5% ---- 2.8% ----------------------------- 1.8% ---------------
South Yorkshire --------------- 4.7% ---- 6.4% ---------- 6.9% ----------- 10.1% ------ 12.2%
North Wales ------------------- 2.9% ---------------------- 1.9% ----------------------------------
South Wales ------------------- 9.0% ---- 5.8% ---------- 4.8% ----------- 8.7% --------- 8.4%
South Wales Border ---------------------- 1.9% ----------------------------------------------------
South Central England -------- 1.7% --------------------- 23.9% ---------- 23.0% ------- 20.6%
Devon -------------------------- 1.3% ---------------------------------------------------------------
Cornwall ------------------------ 2.7% --------------------- 3.8% ----------------------------------
Southeast England ------------ 21.8% --- 1.9% ---------- 7.4% ----------- 1.3% --------- 1.3%
Scandinavia --------------------- 1.3% -------------------------------------------------------- 2.2%
Europe West -------------------- 0.0% --- 0.0% ----------- 0.0% ----------- 0.0% --------- 0.0%

timberwolf
01-26-2020, 12:19 AM
I guess we will wait and see, hopefully something positive.

SUPREEEEEME
01-26-2020, 10:16 AM
I noticed today that their regional shapes have changed. Some more drastic than others.

kujira692
01-26-2020, 11:56 AM
I noticed today that their regional shapes have changed. Some more drastic than others.

That's what I thought too (glad to see it's not just me! *haha*

The Southeast England one no longer has the myriad of lines within it (that I guess were roads leading to London?? I don't think they were just county lines). Also I've noticed that the Isle Wight, while part of South England, is coloured as if it were part of Southeast England on mine (it's darker like Southeast England even though it highlights as South England)

JonikW
01-26-2020, 12:32 PM

Here's mine in June 2017 and today. The only significant difference for me is that the Welsh Border region expanded northwards last year.

geebee
01-26-2020, 01:39 PM

Good spotting! For me the only difference I'm noticing is that the island of Menorca, where the fathers of my maternal grandmother's parents were born, is no longer in the colors of the "France" region but is instead listed with the "Iberian Peninsula".

The only thing is, there is no difference in my reported percentages. It seems very likely that at least part of my Menorcan ancestry is still being listed under "France", in addition to "Iberian Peninsula". Certainly much of my German ancestry is there, as well as much of my British ancestry. I only have about 3% actual French ancestry, while LivingDNA reports "France" as 45.5%.

EDIT: For anyone who hadn't noticed, the islands of Formentera and Ibiza had previously been shown in the same colors as "Iberian Peninsula", but not the islands of Majorca and Menorca. These were shown in the same color as the "France" region.

Kathlingram
01-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Thanks Everyone.. I have not been looking BUT my 19.9% North Wales is important and the North Ireland/ Scotland now looks like my known cousins matches ( Who went to Scotland often for work from Donegal)
36026 2020

Maybe they ARE doing something..

JMcB
01-26-2020, 03:26 PM
Mine is pretty much the same. Except, they’ve removed the small strip I had across the heel and toe of Italy. Which is probably a mistake, as my ancestors were from Sicily. Although, they never had Sicily listed anyway. Otherwise, everything else is the same.

This is how it was a month or two ago:

Kathlingram
01-26-2020, 03:44 PM
Also, not sure if I missed this but AncestryDNA next to "Matches" will show "MAP" in either close or distant matches.. And it reinforces at least my 19.9% North Wales

SUPREEEEEME
01-28-2020, 08:34 AM
Thought I'd post about another thing I noticed: Germanic ancestry.

It appears that there are new regions. I'm not sure when this change took place as I don't score any Germanic ancestry. If someone does have Germanic, please confirm whether you have these regions or not:

Before:

After:
^There is now Northwest Germanic and Northeast Germanic. The new regions image is from someone who recently uploaded.

Cunobelinus_T
01-28-2020, 11:11 AM
Hmmm ... interesting Supreeeeeme. My 'Germanic' region hasn't changed from its old shape, however I don't expect that I'll get any more resolution than the old 'Germanic' region, given that it's actually giving me 'Germanic' when in fact those branches are from East Anglia and surrounds (which, to be fair, do appear to be the most Germanic regions of the Isles, so in that sense, it's not wrong - just imprecise). My mum's LDNA actually gets it right in this case, showing the various parts of eastern England from which we know these branches came, rather than showing Germany and Denmark (which is what mine shows). Long story short, though, no change to my rather imprecise 'Germanic' region (yet?).

EDIT: I'd also add there's not a sausage of change to any of my other regions or my mum's regions either, other than the base maps being cleaned up a little. I'm still waiting for more resolution for Ireland, but I fear I may be waiting a while for that, and I'd like to get up at stupid o'clock for the LDNA webinar that's on today, but timezones won't be me friend this week methinks. Sigh.

EDIT 2: Looks like they'll be sending an email offering an update... one waits with bated breath!

SUPREEEEEME
01-28-2020, 11:25 AM
Speak of the devil:
https://livingdna.com/blog/European-panel-update

I am happy that they have split "Armenia and Cyprus" into "Cyprus" and "South Caucasus"

Sid Griffith
01-28-2020, 08:12 PM
They had a webinar earlier today and explained they had an update for Germanic coming today. They said login or watch for an email for when the new results are ready.

greerpalmer
01-28-2020, 08:21 PM
Thought I'd post about another thing I noticed: Germanic ancestry.

It appears that there are new regions. I'm not sure when this change took place as I don't score any Germanic ancestry. If someone does have Germanic, please confirm whether you have these regions or not:

Before:

After:
^There is now Northwest Germanic and Northeast Germanic. The new regions image is from someone who recently uploaded.

For those who missed it, they are rolling out a European Panel Update to individuals with more than 10% European ancestry over the next 48 hours. People will be informed by e-mail.
https://livingdna.com/blog/European-panel-update?fbclid=IwAR1u3OG039XguXgri1DQs4yy9q59ovK5KM OGWSeYOVYZY0q-dVpygw3N1tQ

The update includes refinements to Germany, Iberia, Russia, Armenia/Cyprus & Chechnya

JFWinstone
01-28-2020, 08:42 PM
Will be interesting to see what this update brings. I suspect my Germanic will be mostly Northwestern and should be less than it currently is, my Germanic is greatly inflated on this site.

fostert
01-28-2020, 10:44 PM
For those who missed it, they are rolling out a European Panel Update to individuals with more than 10% European ancestry over the next 48 hours.

This seems incorrect. They say the process of updating after agreeing to it and initiating it can take up to 48 hours to complete.

I highly doubt that we customers will see an email from them in the next 2 days, let alone 2 months. Sorry, but from my experience LDNA is not to be relied on.

sktibo
01-29-2020, 02:47 AM
Really looking forward to everyone's updated results. Hope you all get an email asap and that the update actually works. I really like how they've split Germany up. It looks a lot more realistic than trying to split it into 20 regions or however many they first aimed for.

SaltyShanker
01-29-2020, 03:30 AM
LivingDNA gives me 66.3% Germanic , really excited about the new update . It will be interesting to see what percentages will go to each new region 36070 36071

timberwolf
01-29-2020, 03:54 AM
Why do they need to email people? Just do the update. already. I can well imagine a lot of people won't receive the email or it will go into the spam inbox and people will miss it.

sktibo
01-29-2020, 05:47 AM
Why do they need to email people? Just do the update. already. I can well imagine a lot of people won't receive the email or it will go into the spam inbox and people will miss it.

having the users access and be in control of updating their results seems like a good solution to their problem of how to update everyone... but as you say, why the email?

Cunobelinus_T
01-29-2020, 06:05 AM
having the users access and be in control of updating their results seems like a good solution to their problem of how to update everyone... but as you say, why the email?

True... I guess it gives people the chance to screenshot their older results before they update if they want to compare older with newer interpretations, too... As Timberwolf says, though, Spam inboxes are a curse in this respect, to be fair.

Robert1
01-29-2020, 12:28 PM
Hmmm it says I got an update of regions and sub regions but my ancestry estimate remains the same as the beta update I got 2/13/2019.

I was hoping the new German panel would be able pick up a percent or two of my ~4%. Of course I'm not their best candidate for detecting German. We'll see how the update works for others.

No email yet.

SUPREEEEEME
01-29-2020, 01:11 PM
Hmmm it says I got an update of regions and sub regions but my ancestry estimate remains the same as the beta update I got 2/13/2019.

I was hoping the new German panel would be able pick up a percent or two of my ~4%. Of course I'm not their best candidate for detecting German. We'll see how the update works for others.

No email yet.

It's interesting that you got that screen. Unfortunately I also haven't received any emails yet. It looks like you haven't received this update yet - your last one was on 13 February 2019.

01-29-2020, 03:36 PM
Predictably pathetic as usual, logging in I got a pop up message saying my results have been updated, click to download previous result, does nothing except pop up screen "Hello".
So ok, usual bad implementation, thought I would look at the new breakdown, only for it being exactly the same as before and has not changed and the timestamp still saying, May 21st 2019, (this is when I requested the Irish update to be applied).

Again bad show LivingDNA, really bad show!

JMcB
01-29-2020, 04:10 PM
Well, considering I havenít had an update since I first tested with them in October, 2016, Iím not expecting much. And as usual, nothing works correctly on their website. They tell me Iíve gotten an update but thereís a little tab that says; update date invalid. When I try to download my old results, it doesnít work and I get the Hello box sgdavies mentioned. My map looks almost exactly the same, except for the small deletion of one area in Italy. Which they probably should have left as it was. So far I canít find this update they tell me that Iíve gotten. On the bright side, my recent experience with updates hasnít been good, so I would be fine if they just left me alone. As their initial results were really quite good n my case. With a few minor exceptions that were easily interpretable

JFWinstone
01-29-2020, 04:11 PM
Predictably pathetic as usual, logging in I got a pop up message saying my results have been updated, click to download previous result, does nothing except pop up screen "Hello".
So ok, usual bad implementation, thought I would look at the new breakdown, only for it being exactly the same as before and has not changed and the timestamp still saying, May 21st 2019, (this is when I requested the Irish update to be applied).

I got the same pop up for mine and mum's kits and no actual update. Also no email yet :laugh:

SaltyShanker
01-29-2020, 04:18 PM
Their mobile experience is terrible as well , i can hardly even look at my results without something glitching out

digital_noise
01-29-2020, 05:15 PM

No email yet.

same here. I'm hoping this isnt a typical Living DNA sh*t show but rather them prepping for the update, lol. We will see

digital_noise
01-29-2020, 05:16 PM

I received the same message, lol

Trelvern
01-29-2020, 06:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblYSKz_VnI

JMcB
01-29-2020, 06:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblYSKz_VnI

Love the dancers!

That’s what LDNA needs! Some dancers!

jelliedsoup
01-29-2020, 08:19 PM

No email yet.

Exactly the same for me. I don't have any known Germanic (even though I get 18.5%), and my British/Irish results remain the same.

firemonkey
01-29-2020, 09:05 PM
They told me I had an update........April 2019

JonikW
01-29-2020, 11:00 PM
I get this, which looks promising, but then the old results...

ADD: I now see this has a 2017 date attributed and I didn't get any new regions then. I had this on the screen before, which led me to believe there was something new. I'm completely stumped.

sktibo
01-29-2020, 11:57 PM
I also get a notification of an update if I log in but the results remain unchanged, so I think we have to get the email for this to have a shot at working. On the facebook group the admin who posts there did specifically say you need the email.

tatals
01-30-2020, 04:55 AM
I don't get a notification when I log in, despite the fact that the update will certainly affect my results, as they are making changes in Iberia.

Regarding shapes, I've noticed that there was a small change in Italy. Tuscany and the North are now overlapping. And the North now is reduced to Italy - in the past, it stretched a bit over Switzerland and Austria.

daragon39
01-30-2020, 05:05 AM
Livind DNA being incompetent is definitely not a surprise.

Dorkymon
01-30-2020, 10:49 AM
I get this, which looks promising, but then the old results...

ADD: I now see this has a 2017 date attributed and I didn't get any new regions then. I had this on the screen before, which led me to believe there was something new. I'm completely stumped.

The confusing part is that on the ethnicity estimate it quotes April 2019 for me and January 2020 if I click on "view previous results".
In any case the update hasn't applied, because Finland and Russia is still shown as one category for me. They are supposed to be split in this update.

Stephen1986
01-30-2020, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure when they changed, but my results have changed a bit since late 2018 -

Standard results on LivingDNA -

Europe 98.8%

-Great Britain and Ireland 96.2%
--Northwest England 36.1%
--South England 20.6%
--Cumbria 9.7%
--Southeast England 5.5%
--Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 3.3%
--Aberdeenshire 2.5%
--North Wales 2.2%
--Northumbria 2.1%
--Orkney and Shetland Islands 1.2%
--South Wales Border 1.2%

--Great Britain and Ireland unassigned 11.9%
--Europe unassigned 2.6%
--World unassigned 1.2%

Cautious results on LivingDNA -

Europe 98.8%

-Great Britain and Ireland 96.2%
--North Wales related ancestry 39.5%
--South England related ancestry 26%
--Cumbria related ancestry 15.1%
--Orkney related ancestry 3.7%

--Great Britain and Ireland unassigned 11.9%
--Europe unassigned 2.6%
--World unassigned 1.2%

Here's a map of my known ancestry (I don't know two of my maternal great great grandfathers so 1/8th of my ancestry is unknown, although they're both probably from Lancashire). The bulk of my ancestry is from the North West of England, especially Lancashire. I think my LivingDNA results are mostly quite accurate.

New categories and changes in bold, they also seem to have re-added the Italian and South Asian components from earlier results, I assume the new categories are the former unassigned percentages. I also can't find how to change from standard to cautious unless that's been removed. I'm guessing they've been like this for a while, though, I've not really checked LivingDna much since late 2018 -

Europe 98.8%

Great Britain and Ireland 96.2%
Northwest England 36.1%
South England 20.6%
Cumbria 9.7%
East Anglia 7.5%
Southeast England 5.5%
Northwest Scotland 4.4%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 3.3%
Aberdeenshire 2.5%
North Wales 2.2%
Northumbria 2.1%
Orkney and Shetland Islands 1.2%
South Wales Border 1.2%

Europe (South) 2.6%

Sardinia 1.5%
Tuscany 1.1%

Asia (South) 1.2%

Pashtun 1.2%

sktibo
01-30-2020, 04:53 PM
I just got my email which led me to be able to update my results and will apparently take 48 hours from now.

Robert1
01-30-2020, 04:59 PM
Katie Welka of Living DNA posted this on Facebook a few hours ago. It explains why some of us got the bogus popup yesterday that we had an update. (I did take advantage of the manual update last year so that's why I got the popup.)

"Hello all! A quick FAQ about the European panel update:

Q) Why haven't I gotten an email yet?

A) We are cautiously rolling this out as it is the first time we have ever done a release of this nature. You will get your email this week; probably today.

Q) Did my results get updated already? I just got a pop-up saying it did.

A) A great number of people in this group were privy to some of our internal panel refinements. If you gave me permission, you were given a results update manually a few months ago by yours truly. That update didn't include new regions as I recall, but did call certain areas with more accuracy. There are other reasons you may have been manually updated in the past, such as an error we encountered while processing your results, or during a CS request you may have made. As a result, when we pushed the European versioning update live this week, the system read you incorrectly as "already updated" and gave you a pop-up to tell you so. Worry not! You are still counted among the users who are being flagged for >10% European ancestry and given the new breakdowns. If you haven't received the email yet, you will."

Robert1
01-30-2020, 05:00 PM
I just got my email which led me to be able to update my results and will apparently take 48 hours from now.

Thanks, Sktibo! Great news!

Oh, I just got my email too...

SUPREEEEEME
01-30-2020, 05:16 PM
Alas, I am still waiting...

firemonkey
01-30-2020, 05:41 PM
Update for my original , paid ,profile is processing as is my father's profile with uploaded FTDNA data .
I'm not sure the other profiles I have with uploads from 23andMe etc will also be updated .

Robert1
01-30-2020, 05:44 PM

I got the email concerning my original test from 2017. I have six other tests that haven't gotten the email yet so maybe the earliest tests get the email first? Anyway the emails are being rolled out slowly maybe to stagger the impact of updates - to avoid slamming their system.

Robert1
01-30-2020, 05:57 PM

Katie Welka just posted this on Facebook:

"The first hundred or so (emails) were people randomly selected from a criteria of "that had logged in within X days from today" and "has >10% European ancestry" plus tried to make sure they were a good mix of uploads versus kit purchasers. The next batches are less selective (minus the European part :))"

sktibo
01-30-2020, 08:20 PM
My results processed in under 3 hours: on my phone so no full screens but...

I can't shake the Northumbria percentage off. Adding German references has increased it...

The German percentage is probably from the correct region but is much too small. Other Eastern ancestry is gone. Last time I had 34% French this time I'm 19% Italian. British, Northumbrian aside has improved.

20.3 northumbria
13.4 aberdeen
8.2 south central England
6.7 south east England
6 ireland
5 lincolnshire
4.1 east Anglia
3.9 central england
3.7 devonshire
3 Cumbria
1.7 SW Scot NI

19.2 Tuscany

2.5 northeast germanic

2 mesoamerica

Robert1
01-30-2020, 08:30 PM
Got my email confirming a successful update. And yes there it was in my portal.
It 's the best of 6 estimates from Living DNA!

The German panel actually worked on me! First time I got German from Living DNA. And worked very well as of my known ~0.5% Dutch and ~3.5% Rhineland-Palatinate, West Germany - it assigned 2.4% NW Germanic. And my Welsh went up and Irish went down as I knew it should. Excellent! NW Scotland went down but total Scotland is about right, slightly low.

Below are my earlier results test results and below that is today's update of my original Orion chip.

There was no change in my MT and Y Haplogroup/subclades.
Each test reports K1a4a1f and R-L21>DF13

Living DNA - Complete Mode with Sub-Regions
Robert Smith ------- Orion 2017 - Sirius 12/12/18 - Orion 2/13/19 - Sirius 4/30/19 - FTDNA Data 12/1/19
Great Britain and Ireland -- 98.7% ---100.0% -------- 100.0% ----- 100.0% ---------- 97.8%
Northwest Scotland -------- 20.8% ---- 23.0% ---------- 12.5% ----- 13.8% ----------- 14.8%
Aberdeenshire --------------- 6.9% ---- 14.6% ------------ 3.7% ------ 7.0% ------------ 6.9%
SW Scotland & N. Ireland --- 1.3% ----- 2.5% -------------------------- 2.7% ------------ 1.6%
Ireland ------------------------ 6.1% --- 37.6% ----------- 31.1% ----- 28.4% ---------- 28.4%
Northumbria ------------------ 3.9% -------------------------------------- 1.2% ------------------
Northwest England ---------- 10.0% ---- 3.5% --------------------------------------------- 1.6%
Cumbria ------------------------------------------------------ 3.8% ------- 1.9% ----------- 1.9%
North Yorkshire --------------- 5.5% ---- 2.8% --------------------------- 1.8% -----------------
South Yorkshire --------------- 4.7% ---- 6.4% ------------ 6.9% ------ 10.1% --------- 12.2%
North Wales ------------------- 2.9% ----------------------- 1.9% -----------
South Wales ------------------- 9.0% ---- 5.8% ----------- 4.8% -------- 8.7% ---------- 8.4%
South Wales Border ---------------------- 1.9% -----------------------------
South Central England -------- 1.7% ---------------------- 23.9% ------ 23.0% -------- 20.6%
Devon -------------------------- 1.3% --------------------------------------------------------------
Cornwall ------------------------ 2.7% ---------------------- 3.8% -----------
Southeast England ------------ 21.8% --- 1.9% ----------- 7.4% -------- 1.3% --------- 1.3%
Scandinavia --------------------- 1.3% ------------------------------------------------------ 2.2%
Europe West -------------------- 0.0% --- 0.0% ------------ 0.0% ------- 0.0% ---------- 0.0%

firemonkey
01-30-2020, 08:43 PM
My father's updated results: GB and Ireland 89.9 Northwest Germanic 10.1
My updated results : GB and Ireland 98.1 Finland 1.9

Re Finnish: LDNA update 1.9 ; Ancestry 0 ; 23andMe 0 ; My Heritage paid 2.2 ; My origins < 4 ; DNA land 23andMe upload 3.9 .

JonikW
01-30-2020, 10:46 PM
Great to see everyone's results. I'm just gutted that they didn't prioritise those among the first testers who have also logged in regularly since. Still waiting for my email...

firemonkey
01-30-2020, 11:00 PM
I'm puzzled as to my father getting 10.1% Northwest Germanic and yet I got 1.9% Finland . Perhaps it makes better sense to the rest of you.

Robert1
01-30-2020, 11:17 PM
Great to see everyone's results. I'm just gutted that they didn't prioritise those among the first testers who have also logged in regularly since. Still waiting for my email...

Living DNA's Katie Welka said the first batch of updates that went out today were randomly selected from people who had logged in a few times over the last few days. She said more emails will be going out soon. Good luck in the next wave!

JonikW
01-30-2020, 11:32 PM
Living DNA's Katie Welka said the first batch of updates that went out today were randomly selected from people who had logged in a few times over the last few days. She said more emails will be going out soon. Good luck in the next wave!

I've just emailed them to explain that I tested among the first batch in October 2016 and was initially under the impression yesterday when I logged in that I'd been given an update. I asked them to include me as soon as possible. Look forward to seeing the response.

Robert1
01-30-2020, 11:56 PM
I've just emailed them to explain that I tested among the first batch in October 2016 and was initially under the impression yesterday when I logged in that I'd been given an update. I asked them to include me as soon as possible. Look forward to seeing the response.

JonikW, I hope you get your update before the email reply! And I agree first testers should have been given priority. Living DNA plans to keep rolling out batches of emails over the next 48 hours when they hope everyone gets their update. I have 8 tests in my family and only one has been updated so far. (Fortunately mine)

timberwolf
01-30-2020, 11:58 PM
JonikW, I hope you get your update before the email reply! And I agree first testers should have been given priority. Living DNA plans to keep rolling out batches of emails over the next 48 hours when they hope everyone gets their update. I have 8 tests in my family and only one has been updated so far. (Fortunately mine)

So they did say everybody is going to get the emails within the next 48 hours?

digital_noise
01-31-2020, 12:01 AM
Im ok waiting, but I find it odd that they considered the amount of times someone logged in in the last few days as possible criteria for a first batch update. Their historic performance has given me absolutely no reason to log in whatsoever, so why on earth would I do so?

timberwolf
01-31-2020, 12:18 AM
Im ok waiting, but I find it odd that they considered the amount of times someone logged in in the last few days as possible criteria for a first batch update. Their historic performance has given me absolutely no reason to log in whatsoever, so why on earth would I do so?

So so true.

Robert1
01-31-2020, 12:29 AM

Maybe they figured people logging in this week were really interested in the update so they could get it out to people who might run it and look at it.

Why not log in a few times today just in case the next batches of emails are selected using the same logic!

digital_noise
01-31-2020, 01:10 AM
Maybe they figured people logging in this week were really interested in the update so they could get it out to people who might run it and look at it.

Why not log in a few times today just in case the next batches of emails are selected using the same logic!
Oh I’ve logged in more times yesterday and today then I have ever haha. At this point it’s the hype. And everyone knows how patient DNA nerds are for these updates Lolol

Nino90
01-31-2020, 05:24 AM
I have uploaded all my families kit's but not paid to get the full breakdown. I think it cost about 30 euro each.

Is it worth it?

My old upload was acctually extreme accurate for being from a commerical company:

Robert1
01-31-2020, 05:42 AM
I have uploaded all my families kit's but not paid to get the full breakdown. I think it cost about 30 euro each.

Is it worth it?

My old upload was acctually extreme accurate for being from a commerical company:

Everybody will have a different answer for that. Maybe it's best to hold on to your wallet until lots of new updated Living DNA results come in over the next week or so and see how people with similar ancestry to you evaluate their results. I'm pleased with my results that came in today but there will be others who are not happy.

Nino90
01-31-2020, 05:46 AM
Everybody will have a different answer for that. Maybe it's best to hold on to your wallet until lots of new updated Living DNA results come in over the next week or so and see how people with similar ancestry to you evaluate their results. I'm pleased with my results that came in today but there will be others who are not happy.

Thank you for your answer. And I agree. Nowadays when we have Admixture Studio and G25 for very low cost it is not really worth paying to much.

Dorkymon
01-31-2020, 09:58 AM
Is it worth it?

You never know with them. Your results, while not ideal, are quite acceptable for a commercial service. In my case, according to the map, I don't score anything in the categories related to my ancestry.

https://i.imgur.com/uWDVAdr.png

https://i.imgur.com/93jclQH.png

MyHeritage, while scorned by many and myself included, got it mostly right.

https://i.imgur.com/eVHzP4P.png

Robert1
01-31-2020, 10:06 AM
So they did say everybody is going to get the emails within the next 48 hours?

Yes, that's what Katie Welka said.

JonikW
01-31-2020, 01:34 PM

I had a very pleasant reply from them this morning, which included this:
"We are rolling out the update in small groups, and everyone who is eligible (anyone whose results will change as a result of the new panels we have developed) will receive it in the next week or less."

talombo
01-31-2020, 01:42 PM
My updated results:

Nino90
01-31-2020, 01:56 PM
You...

Thank you for sharing. Interesting that they did pick anything but Balkan admixture(unless you categorize Greece as Balkan).
I have been told they focus most on British customers.

JMcB
01-31-2020, 03:19 PM
I had a very pleasant reply from them this morning, which included this:
"We are rolling out the update in small groups, and everyone who is eligible (anyone whose results will change as a result of the new panels we have developed) will receive it in the next week or less."

So their previous 48 hours has now become two weeks and everyone with over 10% continental ancestry, is now anyone whose results are effected by their new panels. I wish they’d get their stories straight.

SUPREEEEEME
01-31-2020, 03:26 PM
So their previous 48 hours has now become two weeks and everyone with over 10% continental ancestry, is now anyone whose results are effected by their new panels. I wish theyíd get their stories straight.

I was hoping to receive an email on Tuesday, then Wednesday, then yesterday...and still waiting today. :(

JMcB
01-31-2020, 03:31 PM
Does anyone know what their 4 new regions and 5 new subregions are?

Perhaps, I can save myself the trouble of waiting and looking for an update that may never come because I’m not effected by any of those regions.

SUPREEEEEME
01-31-2020, 03:34 PM

Perhaps, I can save myself the trouble of waiting and looking for an update they may never come because I’m not effected by any of those regions.

New regions:
- Northwest Germanic
- Northeast Germanic
- South Germanic
- West Iberian
- East Iberian

Other changes:
- "Finland and Western Russia" split into "Finland" and "Western Russia"
- "Armenia and Cyprus" split into "Cyprus" and "South Caucasus"
- "Chechnya" renamed to "Northeast Caucasus"

JMcB
01-31-2020, 03:46 PM
New regions:
- Northwest Germanic
- Northeast Germanic
- South Germanic
- West Iberian
- East Iberian

Other changes:
- "Finland and Western Russia" split into "Finland" and "Western Russia"
- "Armenia and Cyprus" split into "Cyprus" and "South Caucasus"
- "Chechnya" renamed to "Northeast Caucasus"

Well, unless they suddenly realize that my 4.4% Scandinavia & 1.6% Moldavia is really German, it looks like I won’t be getting an update.

Thanks for the information SUPREEEEEME!

Robert1
01-31-2020, 03:55 PM

Perhaps, I can save myself the trouble of waiting and looking for an update they may never come because I’m not effected by any of those regions.

You'll get an update, JMcB. The 10% Europe includes continental and the British Isles. There is no requirement that it be in a new region or sub-region either. I got an update yesterday having only 2.4% continental Europe. I hope those lovely emails come today and over the weekend.

JMcB
01-31-2020, 04:50 PM
You'll get an update, JMcB. The 10% Europe includes continental and the British Isles. There is no requirement that it be in a new region or sub-region either. I got an update yesterday having only 2.4% continental Europe. I hope those lovely emails come today and over the weekend.

We’ll see, Robert. To be honest, I’m a little ambivalent about updates anyway. As the last two have only made things worse, in my case. Which was really a shame in the case of Ancestry because they were really spot on before then. I’d rather get nothing from LDNA than have them mess up the nice job they did previously.

SUPREEEEEME
01-31-2020, 04:51 PM
We’ll see, Robert. To be honest, I’m a little ambivalent about updates anyway. As the last two have only made things worse, in my case. Which was really a shame in the case of Ancestry because they were really spot on before then. I’d rather get nothing than have LDNA mess up the fairly nice job they did previously.

The update is optional

JMcB
01-31-2020, 04:55 PM
The update is optional

So you can see the update and then keep the old results if you don’t like the update?

SUPREEEEEME
01-31-2020, 04:59 PM
So you can see the update and then keep the old results if you don’t like the update?

No - if you don't want the update at all, you don't have to have it (i.e. don't trigger it). Once you update, you can view your prior results. You probably can't reverse the update once done.

Robert1
01-31-2020, 05:05 PM
No - if you don't want the update at all, you don't have to have it (i.e. don't trigger it). Once you update, you can view your prior results. You probably can't reverse the update once done.

Well you could manually plug back in the old results or anything you believe is correct. Living DNA will be allowing that. So screen print or create a PDF if accepting the update.

JMcB
01-31-2020, 05:07 PM
Well, I’m not going to hold my breath either way. As their language is typically ambiguous:

Robert1
01-31-2020, 06:56 PM
Well, I’m not going to hold my breath either way. As their language is typically ambiguous:

Too many of their staff saying different things. If anyplace need a script to read from it's Living DNA.

It's disappointing this first batch of emails was so small and that another batch hasn't gone out this morning. Only a handful here have actually gotten their updated results, firemonkey, sktibo, me and precious few others.

Robert1
01-31-2020, 09:32 PM
Katie Welka of Living DNA just posted this on Facebook'

"Hi all, thank you for your patience while we continue to roll this out over the weekend. There is no need to contact customer service or tag anyone with concern over whether your update is coming. I can assure you, it is.

I will be online this weekend continuing to monitor as batches go out. We have been pushing larger and larger groups through the system, but have found a temporary limiter that we will need to remove on Monday when the full team are back in the office. In the meantime, I'm here with you, pushing more people every hour.

"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission." :)

As I mentioned before, this is the first time we've launched versioning and are being as cautious as possible. Thank you to everyone who has shared their results thus far and encouraged patience."

razyn
01-31-2020, 11:01 PM
I don't remember exactly when I ordered, but I had my results by 8 April 2017, because I posted a screen shot of the Y chromosome part in a thread here. Anyway I haven't gotten the update, nor the email -- but I also haven't complained, either here or on the Facebook page. As a person whose ancestry is entirely European, but also entirely pre-1800, I'm not expecting much in the way of autosomal matching. I had hoped that they'd squeeze more out of the Y chromosome, because I should have a number of matches that way. (Pappy to the 10th was a Brit, probably a Norman one in the Severn valley; anyway it's not like I'm waiting for a match with Mal'ta boy.)

Since I tested on their first chip, and it wasn't well suited to my sort, my low expectations haven't really begun to climb. But one of these days it's going to be a better test, and with broader comparables. If I live long enough and that happens, I'll probably even upgrade.

jelliedsoup
02-01-2020, 12:05 AM
Weíll see, Robert. To be honest, Iím a little ambivalent about updates anyway. As the last two have only made things worse, in my case. Which was really a shame in the case of Ancestry because they were really spot on before then. Iíd rather get nothing from LDNA than have them mess up the nice job they did previously.

I agree, both Ancestry and 23andme were much more accurate for my results prior to their updates.

On paper I have 25% Scots/Irish:

At Ancestry started with 21% then went to 12 and now 6. Most is dumped into the ubiqutious English/Welsh/NW Euro.

At 23andME I had Irish (3 dots), then following the update I have no Irish at all.

While it's possible all of my Irish/Scots research (over the past 20 years) is wrong, I haven't really found anything to indicate that. As time has progressed I put less and less value in any DNA estimate. Even if it aligns with my actual paper trail - LivingDNA is by far the closest to the 'correct' regions for my results.

sktibo
02-01-2020, 12:19 AM
I agree, both Ancestry and 23andme were much more accurate for my results prior to their updates.

At Ancestry started with 21% then went to 12 and now 6. Most is dumped into the ubiqutious English/Welsh/NW Euro.

At 23andME I had Irish (3 dots), then following the update I have no Irish at all.

While it's possible all of my Irish/Scots research (over the past 20 years) is wrong, I haven't really found anything to indicate that. As time has progressed I put less and less value in any DNA estimate. Even if it aligns with my actual paper trail - LivingDNA is by far the closest to the 'correct' regions for my results.

I don't think based on your results that your research is wrong but my Scottish DNA relatives Ancestry results vary a lot, some having under 50% Scot Ire category. A lot of your Scottish ancestry on that test could be represented by the England NW category, which I don't think is abnormal. It's good that Living DNA picks it up well for you and hope you get your update soon.

JonikW
02-01-2020, 02:01 AM

I lost my 23andme Irish dots too, although I gained another Welsh region, and I really feel your pain regarding updates. I hope I'll get this latest iteration, although like others among you guys this has been my most accurate commercial test and I don't want them to mess it up.

sktibo
02-01-2020, 03:51 AM
I lost my 23andme Irish dots too, although I gained another Welsh region, and I really feel your pain regarding updates. I hope I'll get this latest iteration, although like others among you guys this has been my most accurate commercial test and I don't want them to mess it up.

The way I see it, if they add more references and it messes up your previously accurate results, was it ever really accurate or was it just chance?

Robert1
02-01-2020, 05:13 AM
The way I see it, if they add more references and it messes up your previously accurate results, was it ever really accurate or was it just chance?

I've wondered that too. Late last summer when 23andMe came out with the V3.0 algorithm and reference panel I was dumbfounded when assigned 95.3% British&Irish and the rest French&German plus Broadly NW Europe. It couldn't get much better! Then a few months later they increased reference samples and went to the V5.x algorithm and my B&I fell 10% which isn't correct.

I guess it was coincidence the V3.0 algorithm and panel did so well on me, not that it was better than V5.x. However I still use the the V3.0 percentages since they are so good, however they were generated.

sktibo
02-01-2020, 05:26 AM
I've wondered that too. Late last summer when 23andMe came out with the V3.0 algorithm and reference panel I was dumbfounded when assigned 95.3% British&Irish and the rest French&German plus Broadly NW Europe. It couldn't get much better! Then a few months later they increased reference samples and went to the V5.x algorithm and my B&I fell 10% which isn't correct.

I guess it was coincidence the V3.0 algorithm and panel did so well on me, not that it was better than V5.x. However I still use the the V3.0 percentages since they are so good, however they were generated.

I believe that when a test can come close enough to my known ancestry, and more or less consistently generate the same or close enough percentages for me, despite numerous iterations or updates, then it can be considered accurate. If, say, version 2 of a test gets my paper trail more or less on the mark, then the next two versions stray significantly from this with their only change being the addition of reference populations (good, well-researched ones, of course - adding bad references could throw it off) then it may have just been luck that version 2 matched my paper trail.

firemonkey
02-01-2020, 10:13 AM
I previously paid the £29 or so for various uploads via Ancestry DNA etc to be upgraded. I'm wondering whether those will be updated .

Robert1
02-01-2020, 03:47 PM
I previously paid the £29 or so for various uploads via Ancestry DNA etc to be upgraded. I'm wondering whether those will be updated .

Yes. Those raw data upload kits you paid to upgrade should already have an ancestry breakdown now that's deeper than continental. If so they will get this new update. Mine hasn't gotten the update yet but I expected it in the next few days.

firemonkey
02-01-2020, 05:15 PM
I believe that when a test can come close enough to my known ancestry, and more or less consistently generate the same or close enough percentages for me, despite numerous iterations or updates, then it can be considered accurate.

If the proof of the worth of a test is how much it comes close to your known ancestry then is there much point in doing such tests ?

fostert
02-01-2020, 06:25 PM
If the proof of the worth of a test is how much it comes close to your known ancestry then is there much point in doing such tests ?

For adoptees with unknown parentage they are invaluable. Not only does the adoptee find out accurately their ethnic mix/heritage, but using ethnicity estimates can distinguish DNA matches from paternal and maternal lines (if you have sufficiently distinguishable parent ethnicity). I know, I've done this many time. The better the company's reference populations get, the better the use of ethnicity tests in these ways. I say absolutely, yes, there is a point.

firemonkey
02-01-2020, 06:40 PM
For adoptees with unknown parentage they are invaluable. Not only does the adoptee find out accurately their ethnic mix/heritage, but using ethnicity estimates can distinguish DNA matches from paternal and maternal lines (if you have sufficiently distinguishable parent ethnicity). I know, I've done this many time. The better the company's reference populations get, the better the use of ethnicity tests in these ways. I say absolutely, yes, there is a point.

For people with a blank slate as to known ancestry I totally agree . For people who are sure that what they know of their ancestry is completely accurate I'm not so sure .

sktibo
02-01-2020, 06:50 PM

Well yes, because your genetic inheritance isn't going to match your known ancestry perfectly, and my primary reason for entry into this hobby is to see how my known ancestry differs from what I may have inherited. From what I can tell our inheritance doesn't seem to be too different from our paper trails/known ancestry but who knows, it's still early in the development of autosomal testing.
Really it's more useful for those who don't have records of their background and occasionally it can reveal a discrepancy between one's family history and one's actual background.

JonikW
02-01-2020, 07:41 PM
I've just had the email and have initiated my update. Exciting.

Robert1
02-01-2020, 07:46 PM

Great news, JonikW!

Once I initiated my update in the dashboard i got an email in about an hour, then at 3 hours another email saying my update was complete. And it was. Hoping it goes quickly for you as well.

sktibo
02-01-2020, 08:39 PM

I'm looking forward to it Jonik! Could you post it with your previous results and known ancestry for a refresher, perchance? Many thanks

JMcB
02-01-2020, 09:02 PM
O ye, of little faith!

After complaining about their ambiguous language, I - Doubting Thomas - just got their email.

So now we’ll see what comes to pass.

Robert1
02-01-2020, 09:24 PM
O ye, of little faith!

After complaining about their ambiguous language, I - Doubting Thomas - just got their email.

Great news! Hope your results are good!

I recently saw Katie Welka mentioned they were changing from releasing updates in small batches to a steady stream.

sktibo
02-01-2020, 09:30 PM
O ye, of little faith!

I'm glad people are starting to get their emails. Excited to see some more results

JonikW
02-01-2020, 09:32 PM

OK guys, this is interesting. They've gone way too broad with this. Basically I'm a German with minority British ancestry that is largely Welsh Borders.

Your recent ancestry results

Europe (North and West)
62.7%

South Germanic
48%

Northwest Germanic
13.5%

Northeast Germanic
1.1%

Great Britain and Ireland
34.3%

South Wales Border
15.7%

South Central England
10.8%

Cornwall
2.3%

Southeast England
2.2%

South Wales
1.8%

Northern Ireland and Southwest Scotland
1.4%

Europe (South)
3%

Basque
3%

sktibo
02-01-2020, 09:36 PM
OK guys, this is interesting. They've gone way too broad with this. Basically I'm a German with minority British ancestry that is largely Welsh Borders.

Europe (North and West)
62.7%

South Germanic
48%

Northwest Germanic
13.5%

Northeast Germanic
1.1%

34.3%

South Wales Border
15.7%

South Central England
10.8%

Cornwall
2.3%

Southeast England
2.2%

South Wales
1.8%

1.4%

Europe (South)
3%

Basque
3%

Very interesting. I figured it may be a problem because on the facebook group we saw an individual who is largely from the south german category get a bunch more british, so I figured we would see british individuals get too much of this category. The fairly large amount (13.5%) of north germanic is truly odd in my opinion as this region doesn't seem to have as much overlap with the neighboring regions

It is of course a disappointment that your results are, well, quite bad.

Kathlingram
02-01-2020, 09:39 PM
Someone on another group said this:"LivingDNA just emailed me to say that they are updating ethnicities. One has to log in and let them know that one wants the update.:
I looked on my account and I saw Esme said this 3 days ago:"Updates are offered to anyone whose results contain new regions that our science team have developed to provide more detail.
If your results do not contain these new regions, we will not offer an update. The updates should not change your results but refine them and take them down into smaller and smaller regions and subregions.
We will continue to develop more refined panels and provide more detailed results so if you have not received an update now, this does not mean to say you will not be offered a further update in the future as the science develops. "

But I went and requested an upgrade anyway.. but I see I had one March 2019- Hmmm

JonikW
02-01-2020, 09:40 PM
Very interesting. I figured it may be a problem because on the facebook group we saw an individual who is largely from the south german category get a bunch more british, so I figured we would see british individuals get too much of this category. The fairly large amount (13.5%) of north germanic is truly odd in my opinion as this region doesn't seem to have as much overlap with the neighboring regions

Thanks for that and I look forward to more results. I just feel sorry for those of mixed British and continental ancestry because this could muddy the waters considerably. The only relatively recent continental ancestors I have in my tree are an 18th century Franconian and a 17th century Norman.

ADD: sadly looks like they may have lost their only real advantage which was that they were often good for British testers. Where the POBI data fits into this I can't imagine.

timberwolf
02-01-2020, 09:45 PM
Someone on another group said this:"LivingDNA just emailed me to say that they are updating ethnicities. One has to log in and let them know that one wants the update.:
I looked on my account and I saw Esme said this 3 days ago:"Updates are offered to anyone whose results contain new regions that our science team have developed to provide more detail.
If your results do not contain these new regions, we will not offer an update. The updates should not change your results but refine them and take them down into smaller and smaller regions and subregions.
We will continue to develop more refined panels and provide more detailed results so if you have not received an update now, this does not mean to say you will not be offered a further update in the future as the science develops. "

But I went and requested an upgrade anyway.. but I see I had one March 2019- Hmmm

I thought they were updating everyone with over 10% European?

deadly77
02-01-2020, 09:46 PM

Ditto - got the email, logged in and now in progress.

JMcB
02-01-2020, 09:58 PM

Europe (North and West)
62.7%

South Germanic
48%

Northwest Germanic
13.5%

Northeast Germanic
1.1%

34.3%

South Wales Border
15.7%

South Central England
10.8%

Cornwall
2.3%

Southeast England
2.2%

South Wales
1.8%

1.4%

Europe (South)
3%

Basque
3%

Thatís certainly disappointing and it doesnít look very promising for me, either.

Weíll see.

Kathlingram
02-01-2020, 10:00 PM
I thought they were updating everyone with over 10% European?

Maybe that is what the Esme quote means.. According to them I am only 3% European..Most other places think I have more..

JonikW
02-01-2020, 10:06 PM
That’s certainly disappointing and it doesn’t look very promising for me, either.

We’ll see.

I was thinking of what it could mean for you in particular given your mix. So I'm more Basque than I am Scottish despite having plenty of Scots but no Basques in my tree.

SaltyShanker
02-01-2020, 10:07 PM
Still waiting for my email sadly ! glad you guys got your emails at least . Thankfully it looks like its starting to speed up .

sktibo
02-01-2020, 10:08 PM
Thanks for that and I look forward to more results. I just feel sorry for those of mixed British and continental ancestry because this could muddy the waters considerably. The only relatively recent continental ancestors I have in my tree are an 18th century Franconian and a 17th century Norman.

ADD: sadly looks like they may have lost their only real advantage which was that they were often good for British testers. Where the POBI data fits into this I can't imagine.

It is a good thing IMO, though, for the reason that we are learning something: the South German category, which seems to include South Germany and Westernmost Germany, shares the same genetic markers found in England. That must be why we see those of German ancestry from these areas getting more English and individuals like you getting all this German. This is significant because we don't see this degree of overlap with the regions the Anglo-Saxons came from as we would expect. AncestryDNA has the same problem (See any of GeeBee's posts...) assigning their England category to people of German ethnicity from these South and West areas. It seems like North Germany and East Germany are both distinct, but South and West Germany are not, so it's almost like this genetic boundary is sort of along the line which was drawn by the Roman Empire, doesn't it seem a bit like that?

timberwolf
02-01-2020, 10:11 PM
Still waiting for my email sadly ! glad you guys got your emails at least . Thankfully it looks like its starting to speed up .

Same here I am still waiting. They say patience is a virtue, but given LDNA;s record it is more like sainthood.

sktibo
02-01-2020, 10:12 PM
Same here I am still waiting. They say patience is a virtue, but given LDNA;s record it is more like sainthood.

haha!

JonikW
02-01-2020, 10:20 PM
It is a good thing IMO, though, for the reason that we are learning something: the South German category, which seems to include South Germany and Westernmost Germany, shares the same genetic markers found in England. That must be why we see those of German ancestry from these areas getting more English and individuals like you getting all this German. This is significant because we don't see this degree of overlap with the regions the Anglo-Saxons came from as we would expect. AncestryDNA has the same problem (See any of GeeBee's posts...) assigning their England category to people of German ethnicity from these South and West areas. It seems like North Germany and East Germany are both distinct, but South and West Germany are not, so it's almost like this genetic boundary is sort of along the line which was drawn by the Roman Empire, doesn't it seem a bit like that?

I'm grateful for your observations here sktibo because I think you've hit the nail on the head. I guess my North German represents something in my Anglo-Saxon ancestry (perhaps earlier attributed to Northumbria etc) but the South German is more broadly shared. I guess we'll see a lot more South German Brits. Timberwolf will be interesting. From memory we generally cluster closely on G25.

sktibo
02-01-2020, 10:26 PM
I'm grateful for your observations here sktibo because I think you've hit the nail on the head. I guess my North German represents Anglo-Saxon ancestry but the South German is more broadly shared. I guess we'll see a lot more South German Brits. Timberwolf will be interesting. From memory we generally cluster closely on G25.

Timberwolf's results will be interesting, I just wish they'd hurry up and email the other AG members waiting for an update...
I wish Norfolk was still here so we could see what they assign him.

This brings me back to Reich's theory about England possibly being quite heavily affected by the Roman Empire, and seeing the similarity not only with South and West Germany but I expect much of France as well if the references were expanded there, I do wonder if the movement and mixture during that time resulted in a larger, relatively more homogeneous genetic cluster. We saw both in Ireland and in England from the various studies that the regions which experienced more diversity became more homogeneous clusters, so I have to wonder if this whole North-Western Continental Europe and England actually do belong to one genetic group, and that trying to split England from these continental areas on a commercial test like this is not actually possible to do effectively.

tatals
02-01-2020, 10:36 PM
I saw one person on Facebook who already got their results. Still waiting here.

JonikW
02-01-2020, 10:37 PM
Timberwolf's results will be interesting, I just wish they'd hurry up and email the other AG members waiting for an update...

This brings me back to Reich's theory about England possibly being quite heavily affected by the Roman Empire, and seeing the similarity not only with South and West Germany but I expect much of France as well if the references were expanded there, I do wonder if the movement and mixture during that time resulted in a larger, relatively more homogeneous genetic cluster. We saw both in Ireland and in England from the various studies that the regions which experienced more diversity became more homogeneous clusters, so I have to wonder if this whole North-Western Continental Europe and England actually do belong to one genetic group, and that trying to split England from these continental areas on a commercial test like this is not actually possible to do effectively.

Great points. For me it could almost be a snapshot of your Bronze Age ancestry. I reckon Norfolk would have been 100 percent German. Wish he was still on the site to tell us.

sktibo
02-01-2020, 10:39 PM
Great points. For me it could almost be a snapshot of your Bronze Age ancestry. I reckon Norfolk would have been 100 percent German. Wish he was still on the site to tell us.

I wonder where he went, he was one of my favorite regulars. I really think he'd keep a big chunk of East Anglian though

JonikW
02-01-2020, 10:52 PM
Looking at everything again, within Britain the results are pretty good. It's just that I have a load of German chucked on top. I could possibly explain SE England by a great grandmother's line. She settled with her family in London for while and left about 30(!) first cousins behind there when she moved away, according to childhood recollections of hers that I still have. I have loads of autosomal matches on that side.

Robert1
02-01-2020, 10:55 PM
I wonder where he went, he was one of my favorite regulars. I really think he'd keep a big chunk of East Anglian though

I bet he looks in occasionally and your comment would make him smile! Especially about getting a big chunk of East Anglia in his update.

timberwolf
02-01-2020, 10:58 PM

The one I am waiting for to be updated has me with 9.4% Iberian. I want to see if it survives the update or is reassigned.

JMcB
02-01-2020, 11:00 PM
Well, I suppose it could have been worse, all things considered. Nevertheless, it still is a downgrade of an upgrade. As far as I’m concerned.

Unlike their first test, they totally missed my Italian ancestry. Which they previously had done quite well on. In my first test, they under reported my Irish by approximately 11%. Now they’ve gone in the other direction and over reported it by 10%. While stealing the difference from my Scottish. They do now correctly pick up on my German - which they used to assign to Scandinavia & Mordovia - and they’ve got the percentages just about right. They’ve increase my over all British Isles from 88.1% to 92.4%, which just about covers my missing Italian. All in all, it could have been worse and I have the advantage of knowing that they have done better. So I will choose to remember their best efforts and ignore their update. Just as I’ve done with 23&me & Ancestry.

chelle
02-01-2020, 11:04 PM
I got the update email today. And now I wait...

Jessie
02-01-2020, 11:09 PM
Just started the process for my update. I'd actually lost hope that LDA would ever update as it has taken so long.

JonikW
02-01-2020, 11:14 PM
Well, I suppose it could have been worse, all things considered. Nevertheless, itís still is a downgrade of an upgrade. As far as Iím concerned.

Unlike their first test, they totally missed my Italian ancestry. Which they previously had done quite well on. In my first test, they under reported my Irish by approximately 11%. Now theyíve gone in the other direction and over reported it by 10%. While stealing the difference from my Scottish. They do now correctly pick up on my German - which they used to assign to Scandinavia & Mordovia - and theyíve got the percentages just about right. Theyíve increase my over all British Isles from 88% to 92%, which just about covers my missing Italian. All in all, it could have been worse and I have the advantage of knowing that they have done better. So I will choose to remember their best efforts and ignore their update. Just as Iíve done with 23&me & Ancestry.

This is fascinating. So you're more British than me here. I literally cannot wait to see the next results. We've got some good ones coming up...

Robert1
02-01-2020, 11:18 PM
Just started the process for my update. I'd actually lost hope that LDA would ever update as it has taken so long.

Great news, Jessie! Good luck! I'm really interested in your new results.

I just saw an update posted on the Facebook page with 88.5% Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland! Never saw that region so high.

Stephen1986
02-01-2020, 11:44 PM
I got the update email just then as well.

FionnSneachta
02-01-2020, 11:52 PM
I got the email for the update so now I wait. My previous results were 84.6% Ireland, 10.8% Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland, and 4.5% Northwest Scotland.

timberwolf
02-01-2020, 11:53 PM
I got the email for the update so now I wait. My previous results were 84.6% Ireland, 10.8% Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland, and 4.5% Northwest Scotland.

Have you just received the email?

FionnSneachta
02-01-2020, 11:56 PM
Have you just received the email?

Yes, I received the email at 23:10 here (so 50 minutes ago).

AntG
02-01-2020, 11:58 PM
Great news, Jessie! Good luck! I'm really interested in your new results.

I just saw an update posted on the Facebook page with 88.5% Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland! Never saw that region so high.

That was me ;) Wait until my mother's come through...

Robert1
02-02-2020, 12:06 AM
Yes, I received the email at 23:10 here (so 50 minutes ago).

Decisions, decisions! Do you stay up gambling that you'll get your update in two hours or go to sleep! I think I'd sleep then peek in the middle of the night when nature calls.

Robert1
02-02-2020, 12:10 AM
That was me ;) Wait until my mother's come through...

And you're way over in central England? !!! :biggrin1:

Mstock
02-02-2020, 12:10 AM
Any germans get the updated ancestry yet? I’m interested to see.

JonikW
02-02-2020, 12:13 AM
Pondering away still. Was just thinking that with my Breconshire and Monmouthshire mix, if the South Wales Border here was turned into around 50 percent instead of 15 percent, and South Wales/SE England were reversed I'd be extremely impressed with this. I'd expected to perhaps see a little Irish if the results were very accurate and wondered whether the new German panel might detect a tiny trace of my ggggg grandfather from Franconia in southern Germany. Given that I'm now 48 percent South German I shouldn't have worried about that.

FionnSneachta
02-02-2020, 12:22 AM
Decisions, decisions! Do you stay up gambling that you'll get your update in two hours or go to sleep! I think I'd sleep then peek in the middle of the night when nature calls.

Yes, a tough one all right. I'll probably go to bed when everyone else in the house has. At the moment, the rest of the family is being entertained with a romantic comedy starring Harrison Ford so we'll if it keeps them entertained enough to stay up.

razyn
02-02-2020, 12:23 AM
Any germans get the updated ancestry yet? I’m interested to see.

I'm about 1/4 German (in colonial USA) and I got the update email late this afternoon, just saw it and clicked so now it's "processing" for up to 48 hours...

AntG
02-02-2020, 12:24 AM
And you're way over in central England? !!! :biggrin1:

Half my maternal family left Belfast in the 70s when The Troubles were bad and came to England. I was born in England... Liverpool to be more exact. There are a lot of people from Ireland there...

AntG
02-02-2020, 12:36 AM
I'm about 1/4 German (in colonial USA) and I got the update email late this afternoon, just saw it and clicked so now it's "processing" for up to 48 hours...

I lost track of time but it wasn’t 48hrs, more like a couple of hours, if that.

Robert1
02-02-2020, 12:41 AM
Half my maternal family left Belfast in the 70s when The Troubles were bad and came to England. I was born in England... Liverpool to be more exact. There are a lot of people from Ireland there...

Thanks! Makes more sense now but sure is high.

Robert1
02-02-2020, 12:43 AM
I lost track of time but it wasn’t 48hrs, more like a couple of hours, if that.

Yes same here, about 3 hours for me. Nowhere near 48 hours.

deadly77
02-02-2020, 12:50 AM
My update came in. Here's the new recent ancestry percentages: 36144
Here's the old one (screenshot taken after update ordered but before it processed): 36145

Compared to paper trail, both are... meh. Not terrible, not great. I'd expect the highest amount (>50%) to be Northumbria, so a bit disappointed that dropped. Next largest two I'd expect to be South Yorkshire and Norfolk. Then some contributions from Cumbria, Ireland (Carlingford, Louth), Glasgow. So all represented, but percentages are a bit off, although given how the lottery genetic recombination works perhaps shouldn't expect the exact statistical breakdown to be perfectly reflected. A lot small percentages from regions I don't have any knowledge of which I think is "noise", although can't rule out gaps in my paper trail further back. The second largest percentage is still NW England before and after update, which isn't representative of paper trail. I don't think NW England is reliable as it didn't split out on POBI's 17 subclusters - take that out and redistribute the percentage to Northumbria, Cumbria, South Yorkshire and big red cluster (as plotted on the POBI map) and probably more representative, but oh well. At least the update removed the South Wales Border (previously third largest) - nothing against South Wales Border, but not represented in known paper trail. Some of it's probably down to LivingDNA's first chip (my test is one of these) being not ideal.

JMcB
02-02-2020, 12:57 AM
This is fascinating. So you're more British than me here. I literally cannot wait to see the next results. We've got some good ones coming up...

Yes, itís going to be interesting.

Coincidentally, I uploaded a Family Tree file a few months ago and out of curiosity, paid for their report on it. They gave me 100% Great Britain and Ireland, with no Continental ancestry. Then I uploaded my Ancestry & 23&me files (but didnít pay for anymore reports), they were also 100% Britain and Ireland. If Iím understanding them correctly, the first upload is going to be getting an update. So Iím curious to see what they do with that one.

SaltyShanker
02-02-2020, 01:24 AM
Any germans get the updated ancestry yet? Iím interested to see.

I'm half German , mostly comprising of Swiss German , South-Western German , and Alsatian German . LivingDNA gives me a whopping 66.3% Germanic currently . Still haven't gotten the email. Hopefully i will wake up to it !

Mstock
02-02-2020, 01:36 AM
I havenít received it either. Right now at 74 percent German before update. If anyone that is half German or more please post your updated results. Iím interested. Thanks family!

Jessie
02-02-2020, 01:42 AM
Just got notification now about updating my brother's results. Anyone who hasn't got notification have faith. They are rolling this out to everyone. I'm waiting now for notification for my daughter's update.

JonikW
02-02-2020, 01:45 AM
I'm half German , mostly comprising of Swiss German , South-Western German , and Alsatian German . LivingDNA gives me a whopping 66.3% Germanic currently . Still haven't gotten the email. Hopefully i will wake up to it !

It'll be interesting to see whether some of your German will turn British in a reverse situation to me. I remember that when my results first came in they assigned me a lot of German mistakenly and reran my kit without me asking. I hope they'll do the same now. So far I seem to be an outlier as a half German Brit. I love Germany and the Germans but I was hoping for something nuanced with this update, certainly not this...

Mike_G
02-02-2020, 01:45 AM
Been away chasing birds and haven't had much time to check in here. Got the update notification today.

For Pete's Sake...

chelle
02-02-2020, 01:46 AM
Attachment is my results before the update.

43.3%

South Central England

9%

Ireland

8.3%

Cumbria

6.6%

East Anglia

4.5%

Aberdeenshire

3%

2.5%

South Yorkshire

2.3%

Southeast England

2%

Northwest Scotland

1.5%

South Wales

1.5%

South England

1.2%

Northwest England

1%
Europe (North and West)
42%

South Germanic

22.5%

Northeast Germanic

14.2%

Northwest Germanic

5.2%
Europe (South)
14.7%

Tuscany

14.7%

sktibo
02-02-2020, 01:56 AM
Attachment is my results before the update.

43.3%

South Central England

9%

Ireland

8.3%

Cumbria

6.6%

East Anglia

4.5%

Aberdeenshire

3%

2.5%

South Yorkshire

2.3%

Southeast England

2%

Northwest Scotland

1.5%

South Wales

1.5%

South England

1.2%

Northwest England

1%
Europe (North and West)
42%

South Germanic

22.5%

Northeast Germanic

14.2%

Northwest Germanic

5.2%
Europe (South)
14.7%

Tuscany

14.7%

Better, worse? thoughts?

sktibo
02-02-2020, 01:57 AM
It'll be interesting to see whether some of your German will turn British in a reverse situation to me. I remember that when my results first came in they assigned me a lot of German mistakenly and reran my kit without me asking. I hope they'll do the same now. So far I seem to be an outlier as a half German Brit. I love Germany and the Germans but I was hoping for something nuanced with this update, certainly not this...

Im also particularly interested in Salty's

SaltyShanker
02-02-2020, 01:58 AM

LOL i wouldn't be surprised honestly . When i first tested with LivingDNA back in late 2017 they had me at like 80% English with most of it being southeast England , and the rest was Italian and West Balkan for some reason .

sktibo
02-02-2020, 02:09 AM
LOL i wouldn't be surprised honestly . When i first tested with LivingDNA back in late 2017 they had me at like 80% English with most of it being southeast England , and the rest was Italian and West Balkan for some reason .

That's funny because I'm missing a lot of German and Eastern European now but gained 19% Tuscany

chelle
02-02-2020, 02:14 AM
Better, worse? thoughts?

Well, I thought you would get a kick out of the Irish portion going up again. I was surprised to see North Yorkshire and Devon go away and was slightly underwhelmed by all the generalized Germanic categories. I know they can separate these things so much, but I don't really call that an update. I assume the Tuscany part is representing my Jewish heritage, but was hoping to see some additional categories with regards to that. All in all.... meh
Side note...I preferred the original layout of the site.

Robert1
02-02-2020, 02:23 AM
That's funny because I'm missing a lot of German and Eastern European now but gained 19% Tuscany

Maybe their Tuscany actually is Northern Italian/Southern Germany? My paternal aunt got 5% Tuscany but there's no way, it had to be German/Swiss border where there is some known ancestry.

Jessie
02-02-2020, 02:31 AM
Just got my update. That was super quick. Looks pretty good.

https://i.imgur.com/8L2x22Y.png

This is the old results. Quite a difference.

https://i.imgur.com/YL35eRr.png

https://i.imgur.com/MZTH2nv.png

Waiting on my brother's to update.

jelliedsoup
02-02-2020, 02:37 AM

I think it entirely depends on their methods of adding and validating their reference populations to their database. While I believe the results would be somewhat accurate for current populations, for my Irish/Scottish ancestors there were many who moved to Canada, US, Australia and New Zealand around the 1800-1860s (i'm assuming as a result highland clearances and the potato famine).

To add a different approach into the mix, all of my verification for Irish/Scots ancestors have been obtained through requesting birth, marriage, death paper certificates, I've found nothing online at LDS, Ancestry, or FindmyPast, so unless most lied on their certificates and were actually English,Welsh, or NW Euro I have nothing to validate Ancestry's, 23andMe estimates against.

timberwolf
02-02-2020, 02:41 AM

Looks good Jesse. The Welsh is interesting

Jessie
02-02-2020, 02:44 AM
Looks good Jesse. The Welsh is interesting

I have family that went to Wales but I don't have any known Welsh ancestry that I'm aware of. I've only been able to go back in my papertrail about 5 generations though but there is some non-Irish names. I think most Irish have non-Irish surnames in their paper trails.

passenger
02-02-2020, 02:58 AM
Well, I thought you would get a kick out of the Irish portion going up again. I was surprised to see North Yorkshire and Devon go away and was slightly underwhelmed by all the generalized Germanic categories. I know they can separate these things so much, but I don't really call that an update. I assume the Tuscany part is representing my Jewish heritage, but was hoping to see some additional categories with regards to that. All in all.... meh
Side note...I preferred the original layout of the site.

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with their algorithms for people with Jewish ancestry, but whatever it is, it's pretty strange! I think in your case, since you're 1/4, it probably got pulled north to Tuscany. I haven't paid for the upgrade, but given what I can see from my general regions and my mother's, I'm not sure I want to.

Dibran
02-02-2020, 03:08 AM
Do you have to activate the update? mine is exactly the same...

Jessie
02-02-2020, 03:11 AM
Do you have to activate the update? mine is exactly the same...

Yes you will get notification either when you go into your LDA account or via email.

timberwolf
02-02-2020, 03:19 AM
This is my existing results, still waiting for that update

90.6%

Cornwall

44%

Ireland

14%

East Anglia

10.8%

South Central England

7.5%

Lincolnshire

3.2%

Southeast England

2.2%

South Wales

2.1%

North Yorkshire

2.1%

Central England

1.8%

South Yorkshire

1.7%

Devon

1%
Europe (South)
9.4%

Iberian Peninsula

sktibo
02-02-2020, 04:10 AM

If I remember correctly, FionnSneachta also had her largest percentage after Ireland as Northumbria. I wonder if this will stay consistent (If I'm remembering correctly) with the new update as well. I know a bunch of Irish monks went over to Northumbria in the early middle ages but I find it surprising that this would be the largest of your small percentages.

Jessie
02-02-2020, 04:20 AM
Just received my brother's update.

https://i.imgur.com/yfFzHiN.png

His old result.

https://i.imgur.com/7AQZmt7.png

Bleuteufel
02-02-2020, 04:22 AM
Not really convinced by this update. I've lost Baltic which should be there and I get Northeast Germanic rather than Northwest Germanic which it should be. However now have Arabic which could be now small amount of European Jewish I get on other tests.

33.6 Europe (North and West)%
Northeast Germanic 29.3%
South Germanic 2.4%
Northwest Germanic 1.9%

Europe East 16.1%
Northeast Europe 11.4%
Finland 4.6%

Yorubaland 26.7%
East Africa 12.4%
Mandinka 9.3%

Arabic 1.9%

razyn
02-02-2020, 04:35 AM
I lost track of time but it wasnít 48hrs, more like a couple of hours, if that.

Yeah, mine came in 3 hours and 12 minutes after I clicked on the Update button. And although the text says they changed five things, they didn't change any of it much. Still giving me highly dubious Tuscan at 8% (zero would be closer to the facts), and zero German(ic) -- (20+% would be more like it). Best thing about this update, for me, was the price.

Jessie
02-02-2020, 04:40 AM
If I remember correctly, FionnSneachta also had her largest percentage after Ireland as Northumbria. I wonder if this will stay consistent (If I'm remembering correctly) with the new update as well. I know a bunch of Irish monks went over to Northumbria in the early middle ages but I find it surprising that this would be the largest of your small percentages.

My great grandmother was a Leland so I don't know if that is a possible source of the Northumbria. I haven't looked into the origin too deeply but apparently the surname is Northern English.

https://www.houseofnames.com/leland-family-crest

sktibo
02-02-2020, 05:17 AM
My great grandmother was a Leland so I don't know if that is a possible source of the Northumbria. I haven't looked into the origin too deeply but apparently the surname is Northern English.

https://www.houseofnames.com/leland-family-crest

Interesting, good to note, but one thing that jumps out at me:
Looks like the surname McLeland but with the Mc dropped - no chance that people ever drop the Mc or Mac prefixes in Ireland?

J1 DYS388=13
02-02-2020, 05:28 AM
I have received my update, which eliminates the 21% southern English ancestry that does not fit with my known ancestry.

Jessie
02-02-2020, 05:30 AM
Interesting, good to note, but one thing that jumps out at me:
Looks like the surname McLeland but with the Mc dropped - no chance that people ever drop the Mc or Mac prefixes in Ireland?

From what I've read it could also be McClelland. Difficult to really know as Irish records don't stretch too far back other than the late 1700s.

MitchellSince1893
02-02-2020, 05:45 AM
Haven't got an email yet but here is my father's current results

97.5%

Southeast England

23.2%

South Wales Border

15.6%

North Wales

11%

Cumbria

6.7%

Cornwall

6.1%

Aberdeenshire

5.9%

South Central England

5.3%

North Yorkshire

5.1%

Central England

4.3%

South Wales

3.1%

Northwest Scotland

2.9%

Ireland

2.9%

Northumbria

2.4%

Northwest England

1.6%

Lincolnshire

1.4%
Europe (East)
2.5%

Mordovia

2.5%

Dibran
02-02-2020, 07:01 AM
I just got the email. My update is currently processing. Maybe Monday it will be ready.

jelliedsoup
02-02-2020, 07:05 AM
These are mine pre-update which align most out of all estimates and my paper trail, so hoping for an 'accurate' update and to see what happens to my 18.5% Germanic.

Does anyone else with Brit/Irish get any Northern Italian?

Europe
79.90%

49.50%

Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland
12.60%
South Yorkshire
10.60%
Southeast England
7.50%
Northwest England
7.30%
East Anglia
5.10%
Central England
2.60%
Ireland
2.10%
Lincolnshire
1.60%

Europe (North and West)
18.50%

Germanic
18.50%
Europe (South)
8.80%

North Italy
8.80%
Europe (East)
3.10%

Finland and Western Russia
3.10%

Asia (East)
20.10%

South China
16.70%
Southeast Asia
3.40%

Stephen1986
02-02-2020, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure when they changed, but my results have changed a bit since late 2018 -

New categories and changes in bold, they also seem to have re-added the Italian and South Asian components from earlier results, I assume the new categories are the former unassigned percentages. I also can't find how to change from standard to cautious unless that's been removed. I'm guessing they've been like this for a while, though, I've not really checked LivingDna much since late 2018 -

Europe 98.8%

Great Britain and Ireland 96.2%
Northwest England 36.1%
South England 20.6%
Cumbria 9.7%
East Anglia 7.5%
Southeast England 5.5%
Northwest Scotland 4.4%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 3.3%
Aberdeenshire 2.5%
North Wales 2.2%
Northumbria 2.1%
Orkney and Shetland Islands 1.2%
South Wales Border 1.2%

Europe (South) 2.6%

Sardinia 1.5%
Tuscany 1.1%

Asia (South) 1.2%

Pashtun 1.2%

My updated results are available and they look much more accurate than the last ones -

Europe 100%
Great Britain & Ireland 100%

Northwest England 30.9%
East Anglia 18.1%
Southeast England 10.9%
Ireland 10.2%
Cumbria 7.5%
South Central England 5.7%
South Yorkshire 4.6%
Central England 3.4%
South Wales 3.2%
North Wales 2.1%
Northumbria 1.9%
Northern Ireland & Southwest Scotland 1.4%

Pylsteen
02-02-2020, 10:14 AM
Well, here we go:

I lost the Scandinavian and much of the English which are all transferred to Germanic, which I agree with.
The South Chinese was transferred to South-East-Asia which I also agree with.
I lost the Iberian/Balkan/Kurdish which I attributed to my Jewish line, I think South-Germanic absorbed it so that's unfortunate;
Is it a good update? It shows me as more continental than British which is to be expected from a largely Dutch person,
There are still difficulties distinguishing the populations around the North Sea, although this is true for all companies,
23andMe, which I think had the best ethnicity estimates for me gives me 50% French&German, 13%British&Irish.
At FTDNA I am 50% British.

JonikW
02-02-2020, 10:24 AM

Europe (North and West)
62.7%

South Germanic
48%

Northwest Germanic
13.5%

Northeast Germanic
1.1%

34.3%

South Wales Border
15.7%

South Central England
10.8%

Cornwall
2.3%

Southeast England
2.2%

South Wales
1.8%

1.4%

Europe (South)
3%

Basque
3%

My Dad's are in and are a lot better than mine:

Last updated February 2, 2020

90.8%

South Central England
45.9%

South Wales Border
11.7%

South Wales
8.6%

Devon
6.3%

Southeast England
5.8%

South England
3.4%

Cornwall
2.5%

Cumbria
2.2%

Aberdeenshire
1.8%

Northumbria
1.4%

Ireland
1.3%

Europe (North and West)
9.2%

Scandianvia [sic]
7.6%

South Germanic
1.5%

FionnSneachta
02-02-2020, 10:24 AM
The update came in half an hour after I went to bed.

Previous:
Great Britain and Ireland 100%
Ireland 84.6%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 10.8%
Northwest Scotland 4.5%

Update:
Great Britain and Ireland 98.1%
Ireland 77.1%
South Central England 6.5%
Northwest Scotland 4.7%
Southeast England 3.4%
Northern Ireland and Southwest Scotland 3.1%
East Anglia 2%
South Wales 1.2%
Europe (North and West) 1.9%
Northwest Germanic 1.9%

https://imgur.com/a/w4wtvyk

It was the upload that gave me Northumbria as the second highest result.

Upload:
Great Britain and Ireland 100%
Ireland 85.5%
Northumbria 7.2%
Northwest Scotland 1.8%
South Central England 1.6%
East Anglia 1.3%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 1.3%
Cornwall 1.2%

For me, the update wasn't as good as the previous update or at least doesn't match the known paper trail.

td120
02-02-2020, 10:44 AM
Old results:

Complete - SubRegions:

East Balkans- 22.4%
West Balkans - 11%
Pannonia - 10.1%
Northeast Europe - 5.6%
Mordovia - 3%
Baltics- 2.4%
South Italy-12.9%
Tuscany-10.9%
North Italy-3.4%
Aegean-3.1%
Germanic-8.4%
Pashtun-4.5%
Kurdish-2.3%

Standard - Sub Regions:

East Balkans- 22.4%
West Balkans - 11%
Pannonia - 10.1%
Northeast Europe - 5.6%
South Italy-12.9%
Tuscany-10.9%
Germanic-8.4%
Europe Unassigned-11.9%
Pashtun-4.5%
World Unassigned-2.3%

Cautious - Regional (this is the lowest level in this mode):

Northeast Europe-related ancestry - 49.1%(East Balkans included)
Tuscany-related ancestry-32.1%
Europe unassigned-11.9%(some WestBalkans...+some of the "Germanic" perhaps...)
Pashtun related ancestry- 4.5%
World unassigned- 2.3%

Updated :

Europe :96.4%

Europe (East) :
East Balkans 77.8%

Europe (South) :
Tuscany 18.6%

Asia (South) :
Pashtun 3.6%

Not very different than my 23andme results(66% Greek&Balkan and 17% Italian). Would like to see more subregions though...

AntG
02-02-2020, 10:51 AM

Motherís has now come through. 98.5% N.Ireland and SW Scotland

FionnSneachta
02-02-2020, 11:30 AM
I guess that I should add that there does seem to have been Protestant converts in the area so, if the estimate is accurate, that could be a source of these British percentages for me. My mum was a neighbour of Irwins and her mum was given their land when the last one passed away. The Irwins settled in Roscommon in the 16th century. Mum's neighbours were Catholic but must have converted at some point. The Irwins were a landed family: http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=504
Irwins founded Rathmoyle cemetery which was originally used for the family's own use but then given to the local population for public use. By 1901, there were 15 Church of Ireland Irwins in contrast to 33 Catholic Irwins in Roscommon.

The Ffrench family were another landed family that converted to Catholicism in the 1800s. They have a Catholic church in Frenchpark with memorials to them.

My Knott ancestor (3x great grandmother) was supposed to have been a Protestant. In 1901, there were 9 Catholic Knotts and 1 Church of Ireland Knotts. It would seem that they likely converted to Catholicism.

There is also a town nearby that had a relatively strong Protestant population. There is still a Church of Ireland school and church there. I had ancestors living near that area. Godparents on baptism records for my family included Vizard and Sarsfield who were neighbours. In 1901, all Sarsfields in Roscommon were Catholic while there were Catholic and Protestant families of Vizards.

When doing the Living DNA test, I was actually originally interested to see what small percentage I would get in Britain since this might have been where my Knotts were originally from. However, I've been given a good few different regions in Britain so it's not so easy to go by that.

Kathlingram
02-02-2020, 11:55 AM
Your ancestry results are currently updating
How exciting!

You or someone who manages your DNA profile has chosen to update your LD## ancestry results with the latest regional maps and data. Your new and improved results are on their way.

Will I live to regret this? ;)36155
For posterity..

Solothurn
02-02-2020, 12:14 PM
Mine is currently updating.

I wonder what will happen to my 2.5 Scandinavian and 1.2 Chechnya/Chechen :)

96.3%

South Wales Border
16.9%
Cumbria
16.3%
Northumbria
15.2%
Lincolnshire
10.3%
Northwest England
8.3%
Devon
6.2%
Central England
6.1%
South Central England
4%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland
3.7%
North Yorkshire
2.1%
Cornwall
1.9%
South England
1.7%
Ireland
1.2%
Northwest Scotland
1.2%
South Yorkshire
1.1%

Europe (North and West)
2.5%
Scandinavia
2.5%

Asia (Central)
1.2%
Chechnya
1.2%

Tolan
02-02-2020, 12:22 PM
A lot of change for me!
And it's much better!

Previous results:

Europe 100%

Great Britain and Ireland 64.6%
Southeast England 19%
South Central England 8.8%
Ireland 8%
East Anglia 5.2%
Devon 5.1%
Cornwall 4.3%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 4%
South England 3.5%
South Yorkshire 2.3%
Aberdeenshire 1.7%
Northwest Scotland 1.3%
North Wales 1.3%

Europe (South) 26.2%
Iberian Peninsula 13.4%
Tuscany 10%
North Italy 1.6%
Sardinia 1.1%

Europe (East) 4.6%
West Balkans 3.4%
Finland and Western Russia 1.2%

Europe (North and West) 4.6%
France 4.6%

And now:

Europe 100%

Europe (North and West) 80%
France 78.4%
South Germanic 1.6%

Great Britain and Ireland 10.8%
Scotland and Ireland 10.8%

Europe (South) 9.2%
Tuscany 6.6%
East Iberia 2.6%

JonikW
02-02-2020, 12:29 PM
I've written to raise a quality concern over my results, explaining how they don't fit with my tree or the myriad autosomal matches on other sites that back it up. The only other explanation is that I inadvertently got put into a secret Bronze Age Beta that turned me into a South German. ;-)

Trelvern
02-02-2020, 12:47 PM
A lot of change for me!
And it's much better!

Previous results:

Europe 100%

Great Britain and Ireland 64.6%
Southeast England 19%
South Central England 8.8%
Ireland 8%
East Anglia 5.2%
Devon 5.1%
Cornwall 4.3%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 4%
South England 3.5%
South Yorkshire 2.3%
Aberdeenshire 1.7%
Northwest Scotland 1.3%
North Wales 1.3%

Europe (South) 26.2%
Iberian Peninsula 13.4%
Tuscany 10%
North Italy 1.6%
Sardinia 1.1%

Europe (East) 4.6%
West Balkans 3.4%
Finland and Western Russia 1.2%

Europe (North and West) 4.6%
France 4.6%

And now:

Europe 100%

Europe (North and West) 80%
France 78.4%
South Germanic 1.6%

Great Britain and Ireland 10.8%
Scotland and Ireland 10.8%

Europe (South) 9.2%
Tuscany 6.6%
East Iberia 2.6%

It's Brexit!

E_M81_I3A
02-02-2020, 01:18 PM
I received the email today, but no change at all for me:

https://i.ibb.co/KjtCZQ6/M81-I3a-Living-Dna.png (https://ibb.co/PZ2Bpbx)

Dibran
02-02-2020, 02:05 PM
Lol idk if I would call it more accurate now. The English & Wales, Scandinavian, Iberian, Italian and East Europe all fell off. Now it feels like a FTDNA result. Very general/generic. They also got rid of ancestry through time.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4Q3TGmK/20200202-090112.jpg

SUPREEEEEME
02-02-2020, 02:16 PM
Sadly, I'm still waiting for an email....

Ron from PA
02-02-2020, 02:17 PM
I'm mainly colonial German rest British. This update mirrors my 23 results somewhat. I get 62% Germanic 41% South which makes complete sense as my highest ancestry, and 21% NW Germanic. 23 gives me 60% German

I get several small British percentages totaling 19%. 23 gives me 16.3%. Always thought 23 was low. Maybe I did'nt inherit as much from my ancestors due to recombination.

Now here's where it gets strange 18% East Iberia makes no sense at all. Unless it's Visigoth which would be very old. MTA gives me Visigoth as a high match. Any thoughts on this East Iberia i'd appreciate!.

Theconqueror
02-02-2020, 02:21 PM
on LDNA, I am 42% british…...very accurate...

Dibran
02-02-2020, 03:04 PM
Sadly, I'm still waiting for an email....

I emailed them and hit an email a few hours later. Idk if it was preset or if they responded to it. Update was generic anyways.

SUPREEEEEME
02-02-2020, 03:12 PM
I emailed them and hit an email a few hours later. Idk if it was preset or if they responded to it. Update was generic anyways.

It seems that they are using a random queue system

Dorkymon
02-02-2020, 03:16 PM
Lol idk if I would call it more accurate now. The English & Wales, Scandinavian, Iberian, Italian and East Europe all fell off. Now it feels like a FTDNA result. Very general/generic. They also got rid of ancestry through time.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4Q3TGmK/20200202-090112.jpg

What's not accurate here? Do you have ancestry outside of Albania in the last 200 years?

Nive1526
02-02-2020, 03:53 PM
NEW

Europe
93.5%

Europe (North and West)
68.4%

South Germanic
49.9%

Northwest Germanic
13.6%

Scandianvia
4.9%

Europe (South)
14.8%

Tuscany
14.8%

10.3%

England and Wales
10.3%

Asia (Central)
4.3%

Northwestern Caucasus
4.3%

Near East
2.1%

Arabia
2.1%

OLD

Europe
98.8%

Europe (North and West)
39.4%

Germanic
39.4%

34.9%

Southeast England
6.1%

South England
5.3%

Lincolnshire
5%

North Yorkshire
4.2%

Central England
3.9%

East Anglia
2.9%

South Central England
2.9%

Northumbria
1.9%

South Wales Border
1.6%

Aberdeenshire
1.1%

Europe (South)
23%

Tuscany
23%

Europe (East)
1.5%

Mordovia
1.5%

Near East
1.2%

Arabia
1.2%

Known paper trail ancestry: South German
I do have some southern European admixture, probably from multiple distant relatives outside my knowledge, but no connections to the Caucasus or Arabia.
DNA matches are mostly Americans of mixed European ancestry, some British people and very few Italians,few Jews, but most likely not through shared jewish, but German ancestry, which also explains most matches with Americans.

RVBLAKE
02-02-2020, 04:01 PM
I'm puzzled about all these comments about updates from LivingDna. I've never gotten an e-mail from LDNA...I went to the site this morning and it's the same result I was given in 2018.

Phoebe Watts
02-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Just quickly (at half-time) my update looks better.

Wales with NWEngland up from 72% to 80%

Ireland new 3% not unexpected (We suspected that SEEngland was being confused with Ireland previously so it looks as if that has now been resolved.)

Cornwall 5% and SCEngland 7% not unexpected

Solothurn
02-02-2020, 04:11 PM
This came yesterday

your results update is here!

We are excited to tell you that your Living DNA profile *********is due for a free update which is now accessible in your portal.An update means that the ancestry regions and percentages that you see in your portal have become more precise.

It was in my spam email folder >:(

I'm puzzled about all these comments about updates from LivingDna. I've never gotten an e-mail from LDNA...I went to the site this morning and it's the same result I was given in 2018.

Robert1
02-02-2020, 05:00 PM
Just quickly (at half-time) my update looks better.

Wales with NWEngland up from 72% to 80%

Ireland new 3% not unexpected (We suspected that SEEngland was being confused with Ireland previously so it looks as if that has now been resolved.)

Cornwall 5% and SCEngland 7% not unexpected

Glad your Welsh and proximity went up, Phoebe! I'm waiting on my Mother's update, hoping to see more Welsh.

Dibran
02-02-2020, 06:22 PM
What's not accurate here? Do you have ancestry outside of Albania in the last 200 years?

Well for one, this supposedly doesn't cover all of Albania. I emailed them about it. I do(through my mother's side) have ancestry from Kosova and northwestern Albania. Including Montenegro(through her great great grandmother). Before the update I had 7.5% West Balkan which included northern Albania, and Montenegro as well. With regard to the drop of the rest of those ancestries it makes sense.

Even still, there's no regionalization what so ever and feels like an ftdna result.

They have promised since 2017 to have regionalization in the Balkans/Greece. Just Aegean doesn't say much.

Judith
02-02-2020, 06:25 PM
I looked yesterday and there was no update banner on the site. But the areas looked like local administration regions, rather than smooth paint edges. Today I got an email saying there was an update waiting and followed the link. Clicked update now and it says processing it may take a few days for the update for my brother’s results. But at least I could screen capture the ‘before’ results. So it’s patience again!

Robert1
02-02-2020, 07:02 PM
I looked yesterday and there was no update banner on the site. But the areas looked like local administration regions, rather than smooth paint edges. Today I got an email saying there was an update waiting and followed the link. Clicked update now and it says processing it may take a few days for the update for my brother’s results. But at least I could screen capture the ‘before’ results. So it’s patience again!

Probably just three more hours for your update, Judith. After I initiated the update in my dashboard I soon got another email saying the update was in process then another at 3 hours saying update completed, which was true. Good luck! Hopefully your brother's first email will come soon.

Iceni
02-02-2020, 07:06 PM
My updating has added Devon and Cornwall, and North West Scotland at low levels, which I am doubtful of, but the really interesting thing is my 4% Finland/West Russia has turned into 7% North West Germanic and Northern Turkey at 7% has turned into Tuscany and 5.5 %! Or is it the Finnish/Russian that has turned into Tuscan and the 7% Turkish that has turned into North West Germanic? Can't help thinking there is a large dollop of hokum in these results. The only thing that looks to likely to be more accurate is the increase in East Anglian but even that still does not approach the more likely level as was given in the previous "Cautious" mode, which was closest to my paper trail genealogy.

Molfish
02-02-2020, 07:18 PM
The update was good for me, what I expected. I'm half English and Irish, with my English ancestry from Staffordshire and surrounds.

Old results (lower confidence)
https://i.postimg.cc/C1vcLfj8/livingdna3.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/mgbVMw89/livingdna3a.jpg
Higher confidence
https://i.postimg.cc/2yGhQDwr/livingdna6.jpg

New results
https://i.postimg.cc/0Nww8gtB/Opera-Snapshot-2020-02-03-055038-my-livingdna-com.png

The only thing better previously was the higher confidence results for my English side, it would be good if they brought that back. I don't have any known ancestry from Southern England either. The South Wales 1.7% remaining is slightly intriguing as that's the only part of my ancestry I'm still curious about, whether we have any appreciable Welsh on my Irish side as the surname Wynne exists on it.

Now I'm just waiting on my father's results.

JonikW
02-02-2020, 07:20 PM
My updating has added Devon and Cornwall, and North West Scotland at low levels, which I am doubtful of, but the really interesting thing is my 4% Finland/West Russia has turned into 7% North West Germanic and Northern Turkey at 7% has turned into Tuscany and 5.5 %! Or is it the Finnish/Russian that has turned into Tuscan and the 7% Turkish that has turned into North West Germanic? Can't help thinking there is a large dollop of hokum in these results. The only thing that looks to likely to be more accurate is the increase in East Anglian but even that still does not approach the more likely level as was given in the previous "Cautious" mode, which was closest to my paper trail genealogy.

I'm a big fan of the previous Cautious mode too, and I know others here were. I think I'm the only one here so far to be 60 percent German under the update, so I'm glad the problem has affected only me. Broadly the update looks good, including for my Dad.

Dorkymon
02-02-2020, 07:27 PM
You never know with them. Your results, while not ideal, are quite acceptable for a commercial service. In my case, according to the map, I don't score anything in the categories related to my ancestry.

https://i.imgur.com/uWDVAdr.png

https://i.imgur.com/93jclQH.png

MyHeritage, while scorned by many and myself included, got it mostly right.

https://i.imgur.com/eVHzP4P.png

Great update, I'm with them from the very beginning and I've waited way too long for results that make sense for my ancestry. My region of ancestry never got picked over the years :lol:
Right now it does, so this update is certainly better than the previous ones, though not without its problems.

1) The 1/4 of my ancestry from the Bukovina region in Ukraine seems to have been thrown into Northeast Europe, although on the map this region belongs to East Balkans.
2) Some of Mordovia works as a proxy for my Siberian-like ancestry.
3) A pattern that I'm noticing among commercial tests is to struggle to attach the NW Euro-like residue to my local ancestry. Instead they single it out into English, Irish, etc. That also happened on the old 23andme, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

If they will break up Eastern Europe into more regions then further updates might address these issues.

https://i.imgur.com/ZbSaKrN.png

sktibo
02-02-2020, 07:28 PM
I'm a big fan of the previous Cautious mode too, and I know others here were. I think I'm the only one here so far to be 60 percent German under the update, so I'm glad the problem has affected only me. Broadly the update looks good, including for my Dad.

I thought we would see at least one more person with your problem at this point but you look to be the outlier. If my memory serves, wasn't your very first result at launch highly Germanic as well?

timberwolf
02-02-2020, 07:28 PM
Anyone else still to get their email or update?

sktibo
02-02-2020, 07:36 PM
@AntG

Can you share your results on this thread please? https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?19020-Living-DNA-Northern-Irish-results

@Jessie

So the Northumbria thing doesn't look to be universal to Irish testers as FS didn't get it in her update - interesting that you and your brother both got it second though. Perhaps it is that surname? Another thought is that being somewhere in between England and Scotland it just has a lot of markers common all over the Isles regions.

---
It looks like even though there are some setbacks, for example, FionnSneachta losing ~5% Ireland, overall it's a big improvement for most people. It wasn't really that great of an improvement for me but it was a step in the right direction, at least one of my continental regions is correctly identified, but it still struggles greatly with assigning my DNA. I hope the uploads for my parents will make more sense.

Then there's the results Jonik got. . . those look to be the messiest out of all of them so far.

Mstock
02-02-2020, 07:37 PM
Still no update for my swab kit. Currently I’m at 73% Germanic, 19% French, 8% Scandinavian.

kiterunner
02-02-2020, 07:54 PM
Me, I haven't had either yet. Or is it for paid members of Living DNA only? I did a free upload.

SaltyShanker
02-02-2020, 07:55 PM
still no update for me as well :faint:

JFWinstone
02-02-2020, 08:12 PM
Still waiting also :wave:

sktibo
02-02-2020, 08:12 PM

I believe that there is "a large dollop of hokum" in all results, which I like to call an element of randomness. There's a great youtube video (I think it's on youtube) about identical twins with the same set of DNA taking commercial tests together. Their raw data is identical but their results are always a bit different. If the same person takes the same DNA test more than once, they also get a different results on their tests. However, most of the tests given at the same time or iteration of a test will be mostly the same, with some minor differences. That is, the major elements will be the same. I'm lucky in that I've had... five runs of my test now since launch. So I'll use iterations one to three, British/Irish only for simplicity, to try and show an example of this...

One:
Northumbria: 26.2
S England 8.1
Cumbria 7.2
SC England 6.7
East Anglia 6.3
SE England 4.9
Aberdeen 4.8
Devon 4.2
S Wales 3.2
Lincolnshire 2.4
SW Scot NI 1.9
Orkney 1.7

Two:
Northumbria: 29.8
S England 3.9
Cumbria 3.6
SC England 10.2
East Anglia 0
SE England 4.8
Aberdeen 4.2
Devon 3.4
S Wales 2.1
Lincolnshire 0
SW Scot NI 3
Orkney 2.3

Three:
Northumbria: 42.1
S England 5.2
Cumbria 2.4
SC England 4.4
East Anglia 0
SE England 2.1
Aberdeen 11.5
Devon 5.2
S Wales 2.8
Lincolnshire 0
SW Scot NI 0
Orkney 1.9

Just please note that this is an example and updates 4 and now 5 have departed more significantly from these, and even within these there's some pretty big changes. But we can see that in these versions, East Anglia, Lincolnshire, and SW Scot/ NI were "Hokum." Northumbria always remained on top as my highest percentage (still does, and I still have no idea why this is but clearly I match some of these reference populations strongly.) You can see the other regions remain, but change a lot. So, I see the percentages more as a "range" than a definite percentage. Hopefully this shows that while a lot of this is more or less nonsense, that there is also consistency in these tests. In my experience I've found that being able to compare your results to other people, who have a decent idea about their ancestral backgrounds, is a great way to make the most of these tests. If you're lucky, like I am, and have multiple versions of the same test to see how the changes in percentages occur, that's also fantastic of course.

When I first got my test, and a couple iterations of it, I thought perhaps my knowledge of my paper trail was incorrect because I match the Northumbrian references so strongly, while only having ~3.125% of my ancestry from Roxburghshire, I ranged between 20-40% of this region. However, I did not find any discrepancies and I also found that I had DNA relative matches to cover what I did know about my paper trail on top of that. When I uploaded results for my parents, neither of them had percentages in this region this high, my father having zero and my mother having only 9%. So, I have to assume this is due to something that can't traditionally be explained yet, and I have to take it as it is.. Still quite a lot we don't understand about what these tests tell us.

TL;DR
Yes it's hokum
There's also some truth in it
We have to compare our results to each other and to our other versions to pick apart truth from hokum
It's weirdly fun
Best of luck

Robert1
02-02-2020, 08:36 PM

Only one kit of 8 has gotten the update which was on Jan 30 then crickets ever since.

Oh well no complaints, they will come. Probably all during the Super Bowl. :biggrin1:

timberwolf
02-02-2020, 08:46 PM
Only one kit of 8 has gotten the update which was on Jan 30 then crickets ever since.

Oh well no complaints, they will come. Probably all during the Super Bowl. :biggrin1:

Only if the Chiefs win if the niners win you are waiting until next week:)

sktibo
02-02-2020, 08:57 PM

I'm really eager to get updates to my uploads as well but I feel a bit greedy saying it as I was the first person on here to get my update :D

Robert1
02-02-2020, 08:58 PM
Only if the Chiefs win if the niners win you are waiting until next week:)

I'm picking up two racks of KC style baby back ribs for the game. Hopefully that's good karma for KC! :biggrin1:

Good luck with your update, T-Wolf!

Robert1
02-02-2020, 09:00 PM
I'm really eager to get updates to my uploads as well but I feel a bit greedy saying it as I was the first person on here to get my update :D

Same here as I think I was second (Jan 30th).

tatals
02-02-2020, 09:00 PM
No emails here yet.

But Iberians are in sore need of an update. I uploaded my Portuguese grandma's data to see what she would get (no upgrade, just wanted to see the shadows), and here's what the poor lady got:

I'm laughing.

sktibo
02-02-2020, 09:09 PM
No emails here yet.

But Iberians are in sore need of an update. I uploaded my Portuguese grandma's data to see what she would get (no upgrade, just wanted to see the shadows), and here's what the poor lady got:

I'm laughing.

In all the excitement about the German regions I forgot that Iberia got an update as well.. That will be very exciting to see some Iberian updates. IIRC previously North Africans, like Moroccans got ~50% ish Iberian. I wonder if they were able to fix that up a bit? Hopefully we'll see some Iberian and North African results.

JonikW
02-02-2020, 09:10 PM
I thought we would see at least one more person with your problem at this point but you look to be the outlier. If my memory serves, wasn't your very first result at launch highly Germanic as well?

Great memory! Yes it was 25 percent Germanic but they quickly reran it without me asking, after which I was 100 percent British. I mentioned that to them in my message today.

sktibo
02-02-2020, 09:15 PM
Great memory! Yes it was 25 percent Germanic but they quickly reran it without me asking, after which I was 100 percent British. I mentioned that to them in my message today.

Perhaps similarly to how I have an inexplicable connection to the Northumbrian references, you have that with the German references. I guess that's just part and parcel of being into this hobby in the early years

Now, that said, I hope you get a re-run that fixes things up.

TopLobster
02-02-2020, 09:53 PM

I started my update nearly 11 hours ago and it has not finished.

Edit: It finished 14 hours after starting.

Mike_G
02-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Been away chasing birds and haven't had much time to check in here. Got the update notification today.

For Pete's Sake...

I'm glad that most people's results have improved, especially for Jessie and the other Irish members. I still smile a little when people from the UK are parsing percentages of relatively small regions compared to the rest of us, but overall the updates seem like a nice bump for LDNA's credibility.

On the other hand I have no idea how they missed so badly on mine. Mathematically it makes zero sense considering my paternal line came from Lithuania and environs while my maternal side is a typical Colonial mix. The other companies show 5% or less for anything south of the Alps. My paper trail shows nothing, but I'm willing to go with less than 10% and not start digging again.

I'm almost tempted to contact them just to give them a sincerely polite and friendly heads-up that something is still askew. I don't dare show these results with my wife -- she's been convinced since we me that I'm part Italian.

JonikW
02-02-2020, 10:18 PM
I'm glad that most people's results have improved, especially for Jessie and the other Irish members. I still smile a little when people from the UK are parsing percentages of relatively small regions compared to the rest of us, but overall the updates seem like a nice bump for LDNA's credibility.

On the other hand I have no idea how they missed so badly on mine. Mathematically it makes zero sense considering my paternal line came from Lithuania and environs while my maternal side is a typical Colonial mix. The other companies show 5% or less for anything south of the Alps. My paper trail shows nothing, but I'm willing to go with less than 10% and not start digging again.

I'm almost tempted to contact them just to give them a sincerely polite and friendly heads-up that something is still askew. I don't dare show these results with my wife -- she's been convinced since we me that I'm part Italian.

I think I'm right in saying that we're the only two testers so far who have significantly erroneous results. In your case it's 30 percent of your ancestry and in mine 60.

Jessie
02-02-2020, 10:39 PM

Still haven't received the update option for my daughter but I've just emailed them with her number.

timberwolf
02-02-2020, 10:43 PM
Still haven't received the update option for my daughter but I've just emailed them with her number.

Good idea I think I may do the same.

FionnSneachta
02-02-2020, 10:47 PM
I still need the update for both my parents but I think I'll wait it out. At least a bit longer.

sktibo
02-02-2020, 10:50 PM
I still need the update for both my parents but I think I'll wait it out. At least a bit longer.

I'm right there with you waiting for my parents too. Fingers crossed!

jelliedsoup
02-02-2020, 11:29 PM
How many others are still waiting for the email? I uploaded my 23andme results, so I'm wondering if they reprioritize these or if they even update freebies?

daragon39
02-02-2020, 11:32 PM
The update seems a lot better, but it is still off some.