PDA

View Full Version : Free upload until December 18th

timberwolf
12-12-2019, 01:10 AM
https://blog.myheritage.com/2019/12/this-week-only-dna-uploads-are-completely-free-forever-including-all-advanced-dna-features/

Garimund
12-12-2019, 01:34 AM
Does this mean they’re going to upgrade their poor ethnicity estimates?

timberwolf
12-12-2019, 01:35 AM

I hope so.

sktibo
12-12-2019, 03:06 AM
That's the impression I got too, here's to hoping

Kathlingram
12-12-2019, 01:51 PM

It should help.. Many of the groups I am on and experts had been expecting Gedmatch to collapse but had hoped MH would purchase.. it's not the worst if you use the free tools.. Chromosome Browser, Geographic, Clustering Tool etc..
DON'T have to have anything except a free account which I have always had..
Once they gave me Free All Access for a year but I hardly used it..

Trelvern
12-12-2019, 02:35 PM
That's the impression I got too, here's to hoping

i imported my LivingDNA raw data this day and got this answer twice ( i imported first the original file txt , then the same but csv)

"The file format you imported is not currently supported. It is planned to support this type of file soon, and you will be notified by email as soon as your results are ready."

SUPREEEEEME
12-12-2019, 03:06 PM
i imported my LivingDNA raw data this day and got this answer twice ( i imported first the original file txt , then the same but csv)

"The file format you imported is not currently supported. It is planned to support this type of file soon, and you will be notified by email as soon as your results are ready."

What I did is convert it to AncestryDNA and 23andMe format using DNA Kit Studio and uploaded both of them (they were accepted).

Trelvern
12-12-2019, 03:16 PM
What I did is convert it to AncestryDNA and 23andMe format using DNA Kit Studio and uploaded both of them (they were accepted).

Unfortunately i can't : it doesn't work on Mac OS if i understand correctly (Windows required)

Dewsloth
12-12-2019, 04:00 PM
So if we already did FTDNA and Ancestry, what does My Heritage offer that's different? I am pretty ignorant about their service.

SUPREEEEEME
12-12-2019, 04:08 PM
So if we already did FTDNA and Ancestry, what does My Heritage offer that's different? I am pretty ignorant about their service.

I did it just to get a free analysis.

Rufus191
12-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Different set of matches, triangulation tools that are not on Ancestry. Bigger database than FamilyTreeDNA - 1 million vs 2.5 million for MyHeritage

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart

Kellebel
12-12-2019, 04:18 PM

I'd say the matches are definitely worth it, especially if you got a family tree there aswell. Unlike Ancestry for example, you get the actual shared segments and there's a chromosome browser you can use for your matches aswell. If there's a match in your family trees, it'll show, so you know directly how you match.

A lot of continental Europeans take their tests with MyHeritage. I get the most useful matches there.

digital_noise
12-12-2019, 06:22 PM
Unfortunately i can't : it doesn't work on Mac OS if i understand correctly (Windows required)

Id be happy to help you convert if youd like. If youd feel comfortable or if this is something youd like, Send a PM, Ill give you my email.

Sizzles
12-12-2019, 07:34 PM
I’m not impressed with my heritage. Not accurate 50% Croatian; 25% Sicilian, 25% irish German french dutch British (colonial))

My heritage
43.4 north west euro
31.3 south euro Italian
20.1 east euro
4.4 west Asian
0.8 Middle East

Ancestry
41 East euro
19 Greece and Balkan
18 Germanic euro
12 Italy Sicily
10 Ireland and Scotland

23 and me
31.3 Greek and Balkan
19.5 Italian
12.6 east euro
4.3 Spanish and Portuguese
0.3 Sardinian
8.5 British and irish
3.8 French and german
4.9 broadly south
7.8 broadly northwest euro
Some trace

JMcB
12-12-2019, 08:05 PM
I did a free uploaded about a year ago. Primarily, just to see what kind of ethnicity results they would give me. Unfortunately, it was pretty bad and it looked like they were using old outdated panels, similar to Ancestry’s from a few years ago. After that, I just forgot about My Heritage. Until I recently decided to upload my Gedcom into their tree format and found that it’s really quite nice. With some interesting features. Especially, as I’m an unpaid user. One things for sure, it’s a hell of a lot better than Family Tree’s system. Where I can’t even get it to upload the file correctly and even if I could, it’s still a terrible format to use, anyway. Fortunately, there’s a new ethnicity update on the way, so it’ll be interesting to see what they come up with. I think I’ll stop ignoring them now.

msmarjoribanks
12-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Yeah, it's much better than FTDNA for trees, and I have some important matches there that I don't have elsewhere.

Because I'm a testing obsessive I finally broke down and bought a couple of tests at their last sale -- going to test myself and my dad. I've heard that sometimes has different results than the upload.

digital_noise
12-12-2019, 08:25 PM
i uploaded a converted 23 and me v5 to v3 file just for sh*ts and giggles. I found the Living DNA file and 23meV5 file type to be almost exact in the outcome so we will see how this works.

tatals
12-13-2019, 04:52 AM
I second Kellebel on the matches. I've been able to find connections through the triangulation feature, I'm quite pleased.

JJJ
12-13-2019, 09:31 AM
Run!.

Dorkymon
12-13-2019, 11:08 AM
Not much of a difference (23andme left, LivingDNA right). Hopefully, their upcoming update to the ethnicity estimate will do better.

https://i.imgur.com/6FWx4Jx.png

NG74
12-13-2019, 12:28 PM
I’d be happy to help you convert if you’d like. If you’d feel comfortable or if this is something you’d like, Send a PM, I’ll give you my email.

I have the same problem with my living dna raw data. Can you help me please (PM)

Sid Griffith
12-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Apparently, My Heritage doesn't support the Sirius chip. (My Living DNA) That's what I was told when I tried to upload to them.

nimavip
12-13-2019, 07:00 PM
Has Anyone got back the results for the free upload?

digital_noise
12-13-2019, 07:58 PM
Apparently, My Heritage doesn't support the Sirius chip. (My Living DNA) That's what I was told when I tried to upload to them.

is this their new chip?

tatals
12-13-2019, 10:32 PM
Has Anyone got back the results for the free upload?

I've uploaded my grandma's data yesterday and they say it's going to take between 5 and 7 days.

JJJ
12-13-2019, 10:35 PM
I've uploaded my grandma's data yesterday and they say it's going to take between 5 and 7 days.

I don't understand why it takes so long, if it's just a interpretation of data.

tatals
12-13-2019, 10:42 PM
I don't understand why it takes so long, if it's just a interpretation of data.

Well, I was going to agree, but I've just realized I have a full account and they're probably asking for time to process matches. Does the free upload include matches? I wonder if it may go a bit faster.

JimB
12-14-2019, 05:52 AM

You will see a very different set of matches at MyHeritage. MyHeritage has a much higher percentage of European testers than FTDNA and Ancestry. Appears to be the top DNA testing choice of people in Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

When viewing DNA matches in common with a DNA match you get to see how much DNA your match shares with each in common match. FTDNA and Ancestry do not show this very useful match information.

JimB
12-14-2019, 06:08 AM
I strongly suggest that people do the free DNA upload to MyHeritage. You will see a very different set of matches at MyHeritage. MyHeritage has a much higher percentage of European testers than FTDNA and Ancestry.

And put a family tree there. The MyHeritage Tree smart matching compares your tree against every tree, not just the trees of your DNA matches. The majority of my tree smart matches are with non DNA matches. This is the reality if the tree creator is more distant than 3rd cousins.

The MyHeritage ethnicity estimates are not that good so just ignore them. Maybe the next iteration will be a major improvement.

Trelvern
12-14-2019, 11:23 AM
I tried everything (LivingDNA raw data):

Ancestry format
23 and Me format

and got same message :file non supported

What format is supported?

I give up

SUPREEEEEME
12-14-2019, 11:24 AM
I tried everything (LivingDNA raw data):

Ancestry format
23 and Me format

and got same message :file non supported

I give up

Yeah - it's now telling me it's an invalid format

Trelvern
12-14-2019, 12:15 PM
is this their new chip?

indeed
the new chip!
Format is not the problem

Geborgenheit
12-15-2019, 11:52 AM

Zip file. You should upload that yellow map with the letter z. Don't change anything.

I have uploaded my mom's Ancestry file.

John Doe
12-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Kinda ironic.. An Israeli company which doesn't offer services in Israel, oh well I guess they wouldn't have told me something I don't already know

tatals
12-15-2019, 01:53 PM
Kinda ironic.. An Israeli company which doesn't offer services in Israel, oh well I guess they wouldn't have told me something I don't already know

Is it because of the laws there?

John Doe
12-15-2019, 07:39 PM
Is it because of the laws there?

No I don't think so, took 23andme and FTDNA over here

timberwolf
12-15-2019, 07:50 PM
Got my upload results, same nonsense as before. Hurry up with the update already.

nimavip
12-15-2019, 08:31 PM
Is there a way to upload an AncestryDNA/23andme merged kit?

ChildofMud
12-16-2019, 05:34 AM
I uploaded my 23andme data and I got weird results. They don't match any other tests I've done or my family has done.

Sid Griffith
12-16-2019, 03:05 PM
Duplicate. Ignore.

Sid Griffith
12-16-2019, 03:07 PM
is this their new chip?

I can't remember the exact month mine was updated to the Sirius by My Living DNA. It was their update late 2018.

digital_noise
12-16-2019, 04:53 PM
I uploaded my LDNA file to MyHeritage on September 12 2018, FWIW. I have no idea what chip it is or even how to figure that out.

That said, my free upload results (23 and Me v3 conversion file) were delivered, same more or less as every other upload.

vettor
12-16-2019, 05:21 PM
I uploaded my LDNA file to MyHeritage on September 12 2018, FWIW. I have no idea what chip it is or even how to figure that out.

That said, my free upload results were delivered, same more or less as every other upload.

The last I recall is myheritage use the ftdna people and the same chip.....but check other parts of your dna, which ftdna testing does not ................so ftdna and myheritage test different areas of your dna

maybe this is why I have nearly 100% matching with 3rd cousins ................and nearly zero matching with 5th cousins and beyond , with MyHeritage

Sid Griffith
12-16-2019, 06:36 PM

That said, my free upload results were delivered, same more or less as every other upload.

Open the txt file. It states it at the top.

# Living DNA customer genotype data download file version: 1.0.2
# File creation date: 10-10-2018
# Genotype chip: Sirius
# The content of this file is subject to updates and changes depending on the time of download.
# This genotype data should be treated as personal information.
# This genotype data is not suitable for clinical/medical research or diagnosis.
# The user assumes all responsibility for the security of this file.
# Please refer to the Living DNA Terms and Conditions on our website (www.livingdna.com) for more information.
# Human Genome Reference Build 37 (GRCh37.p13).
# Genotypes are presented on the forward strand.

Marv
12-16-2019, 09:44 PM
Interesting to say to least. I notice anytime I upload my AncestryDNA or 23andme estimates to a third party site, I always come out with less SSA (up to 6 or 7%). lol In this one there is more emphasis with West and Southeast Asian ancestry at 4.8%,whereas 23andme only traces the bare minimum of 0.1% for each and AncestryDNA(updated version) has given me Northern Africa 1% (range, 0-3%).

From 23andme upload:

Marv
12-17-2019, 01:33 AM
Best thing to come out of this free upload is that I finally found an African match. He is 100% SSA (of that 96.6% Nigerian) from the UK, and we share 15.3 cMs across 2 segments at low confidence.

Endovelicus
01-09-2020, 05:45 PM
raw data from 23andMe

https://i.imgur.com/qDgbqK3.png

Joanna_1998
08-14-2020, 09:27 AM
That sounds like great news! I have faith in the company that it might eventually evolve and become more accurate in their results. (sadly, though i didn't know much about DNA testing and did MyHeritage first)