PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Italians here...

Kellebel
12-24-2019, 02:10 AM
...or anyone else who knows the answer.

From what regions do Italians test the most? I know that in 23, it's mostly Southern Italians, especially Sicily if I'm not mistaken?

I'm asking, 'cause the majority of my mom's (and my own) Italian matches seem to come from the Cosenza Province of Calabria. One of them matches us and another distant cousin (who we verified through paper trail) on a segment from an ancestor whose father was unknown. I thought that perhaps, seeing they come from the same province, it could mean something, especially keeping in mind that in the time that ancestor was born, there were Italian immigrants in the region. But if a lot of Italians from that region get tested, then maybe it's just a biased result.

Ibericus
12-24-2019, 09:47 AM
I have a similar question: how popular is Myheritage in Italy? I'm Spanish and I get close to 200 matches in France and almost none in Italy or Switzerland.

Dorkymon
12-24-2019, 10:26 AM
I have a similar question: how popular is Myheritage in Italy? I'm Spanish and I get close to 200 matches in France and almost none in Italy or Switzerland.

I suggest also looking at surnames of people from those countries. Here's an example:

I match 4 people from Italy and their surnames are Italian.
I match 7 from Spain, but 2 of those surnames are Romanian, 1 Bulgarian, 1 Polish, 1 Swedish, 1 English and only 1 Spanish.

So, yes, even if one gets matches, they can still be deceitful. Thankfully MyHeritage caters to those people who like building family trees, so they use their real names on the website, as opposed to 23andme, where a lot of them are just abbreviations.

Nino90
12-24-2019, 10:30 AM
My father barley match more than 20 italians. Most of them living in other countries. I never heard of people getting commercial dna tests in Italy. Its rare.

asquecco
12-24-2019, 10:46 AM
In my case:
23andme: total matches 1527: 58 with 4 grandparents from Italy (201 with at least one gp from Italy)
MyHeritage: total matches 1195: 69 flagged as Italians (273 with "italian" component)
As far as I can say, all my italian matches are somehow related to my native region (NE Italy).