PDA

View Full Version : L21, maritime power and cross channel maritories in post-beaker times

alan
01-22-2014, 10:40 PM
This is a very very good read that gives a feel for how important and uniting the English Channel continued to be even after beaker times. It also shows how NW seaboard Europe was divided into an Atlantic and Nordic spheres from late beaker times and these kind of pre-figure the Celtic-Germanic divisions we see in later times. Its a very very fascinating paper by a familiar name to people interested in beakers and suchlike. It only came out last year and I just noticed it today appearing on the web

http://www.academia.edu/5507638/Archaeology_from_the_Dutch_twilight_zone

Anglecynn
01-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Had a quick scan through, the diagrams and tables make a lot of sense.

alan
01-23-2014, 08:07 AM
It shows how there was in the early to mid Bronze Age the same sort of division around the Rhine in terms of cultural networks and spheres that was also present in the late Bronze Age. It shows that the strong tendency of Britain to interact with the continent west rather than east of the Rhine goes back to the end of the beaker period. IMO the roots of the Celtic sphere are deep and were under way in these periods. It also shows the importance of the favourable sea conditions west of the Rhine favoured the isles being closely bound to that area. And of course it shows the importance of the sea. Obviously this report says nothing about genes but a long terms division in spheres at the Rhine must have had some genetic impact. Again this little isles-continental side of channel zone surely must have been high in L21. Strong Central European influences only really intrude onto that pattern in the late Urnfield/Hallstatt C period and I would tend to date the arrival of U152 in the area to that date and the arrival of U106 across the Rhine to just before the Romans. Certainly the pattern of clades in the isles would indicate something like that.

alan
01-23-2014, 08:14 AM
Another interesting aspect of this is the divisions in boat types. You have the sewn plank boats likely descended from skin boats in that channel area which were presumably suited to the more favourable short crossing to the isles. Then you had the nordic boat tradition which look very much like they were descended from a log boat tradition and probably crawled along the coasts from Scandinavia to Holland - the open sea to the isles was problematic in that area and probably little used. In the far west where the swell is huge the skin boat tradition was probably maintained out of practicality as they are suited to the open high seas of the west. I would say both the skin and sewn plank boats could be thought of as a kind of proto-Celtic type pair of traditions while there seems a clear separate Nordic tradition east of the Rhine. All this led to a very long period where there was a division in spheres at the Rhine area and this has got to have had a linguistic aspect.

Agamemnon
04-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Again this little isles-continental side of channel zone surely must have been high in L21. Strong Central European influences only really intrude onto that pattern in the late Urnfield/Hallstatt C period and I would tend to date the arrival of U152 in the area to that date and the arrival of U106 across the Rhine to just before the Romans. Certainly the pattern of clades in the isles would indicate something like that.

This is also my take on the spread of U152 & U106, the former seems linked to the spread of classical Celtic culture while the latter looks like a diagnostic marker for the Germanic völkerwanderung.

I think U152's emergence took place among Eastern & Central Beakers while L21 came to the Isles with the Rhenish beakers.