PDA

View Full Version : mtDNA H47

NickMans
12-30-2019, 06:46 AM
Hello,

I have recently received my mtDNA results from 23andMe. They classified my haplogroup as simply H, without specifying a subclade. When I ran my raw data on Wegene and James Lick's mtDNA predictor, the former classified it as H47, and the latter specified H47 as the closest match. As shown in the picture below, I am positive for both of the defining mutations for H47, but there are a lot of extras. Could this imply that my haplogroup is likely an unknown offshoot of H47?

Any explanations would be greatly appreciated.

P. S. I understand that 23andMe references PhyloTree.org build 7 for their maternal haplogroup assignments; this does not include H47, which could be a reason why they refrained from assigning a subclade.

Cunobelinus_T
01-29-2020, 02:00 AM
I'd like to know more about H47 as well, NickMans! It seems to be a fairly rare subclade originating in the Near East which has samples from Eastern Europe, Italy, and the British Isles. Not sure which of these samples are modern and which are ancient. I'm especially interested to know in which regions it's represented in the Isles. In answer to your question, my gut feeling is that you might be right, but I'm no expert in uniparental stuff!

Kristiina
01-29-2020, 06:17 AM
I have recorded only one ancient H47 sample:
Roman period Vagnari necropolis South Italy F287/LRV135 H47

Cunobelinus_T
01-29-2020, 06:48 AM
Ah yes - now that you mention this, Kristiina, I believe I've seen this - is that from the Emery et.al. (2018) report? An old adult, possibly male?

Kristiina
01-29-2020, 09:48 AM
Yes, that's it:

Matthew V. Emery et al, Ancient Roman mitochondrial genomes and isotopes reveal relationships and geographic origins at the local and pan-Mediterranean scales

https://daneshyari.com/article/preview/7444278.pdf

NickMans
01-29-2020, 11:37 AM
Hi Cunobelinus T,

Literature on this haplogroup is definitely scant. Have you read anything on the origin of H47 being in the Near East vs. Eastern or Southern Europe?

I believe it has two additional subbranches: H47a and H47b. I haven't seen any data on their geographic distribution.

If I am not mistaken, in the Near East, it is most prevalent among people with Armenian ancestry. In Eastern Europe it seems to also occur among Ashkenazi Jews. From genealogical and genetic data, I suspect that I obtained my haplogroup by proxy through either of these two ancestries.

Cunobelinus_T
01-29-2020, 12:29 PM
Hi NickMans,

Sadly I've not been able to find much on H47. The website Haplogroup.org had a brief summary of it but it's been down for maintenance for months now. From what I can gather from various mtDNA projects online, it's a pretty scattered subclade. Do you know anything of the approximate ages of H47a and H47b?

NickMans
01-30-2020, 09:25 PM
I haven't found the relevant scholarly articles, but according to the familytreedna web page, the parent group H47 is thought to be ~9000 years old while H47a is ~2500 years old. H47b is likely a newer and more recently defined haplogroup, so there is no information on that.