PDA

View Full Version : R-L664 and further testing

CMCE
01-01-2020, 07:34 AM
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this query plus should add that although understand more on the autosomal side, am still trying to understand the basics regarding YDNA for family member, and most postings I read are at a technical level I have not reached yet.

Living DNA nearly 2 years ago gave R-L664 as YDNA haplogroup where, after thirty odd years of research, all known documented ancestry is English but with this paternal line stuck at a birth in 1779 in Warwickshire and unknown origins of parents.

Have just returned a FTDNA 37 marker sample for testing, but while there is a reduced price to upgrade to more markers, should we be considering doing that , or should we just wait for the FTDNA results to see more detail and the remote chance that some possible clues might appear at that level before we test further?

(Have joined the FTDNA R1a, R1a and subclades plus the surname projects.)

Would be grateful for any thoughts to help me make a decision if that is possible.

RVBLAKE
01-01-2020, 11:54 AM
Martin Voorwinden at FTDNA runs the L664 project and is very helpful.

CMCE
01-01-2020, 01:54 PM
Thank you RVBLAKE - had not realised that someone on the R1a Project was contactable about L664 but have now contacted him.

Artmar
01-04-2020, 12:41 PM
Martin also has a surname list of L664 people, so you may actually match someone who is already tested with detailed test. I also had it but I can't publish it here, because some people may be mad.