PDA

View Full Version : U5b2a1

Alpine Hominin
01-23-2014, 09:19 PM
I recently received my Mtdna results, and have been assigned the haplogroup U5b2a1.

Searching the internet has turned up minimal results so far, does anyone have any information or links related to this haplogroup they wouldn't mind sharing?

Any discussion related to the haplogroup is encouraged as well.

ilmari
01-25-2014, 07:47 PM
I recently received my Mtdna results, and have been assigned the haplogroup U5b2a1.

Searching the internet has turned up minimal results so far, does anyone have any information or links related to this haplogroup they wouldn't mind sharing?

You can check through the various GenBank IDs on the U tree by PhyloTree.org - mtDNA subtree U
Citation: van Oven M, Kayser M. 2009. Updated comprehensive phylogenetic tree of global human mitochondrial DNA variation. Hum Mutat 30(2):E386-E394. doi:10.1002/humu.20921
http://www.phylotree.org/tree/subtree_U.htm

Below is my GenBank ID and you can see the mutations for the final determination on that tree.

mtDNA: U5b2a1a1b [FTDNA calls this U5b2a1a1]
GenBank: EU784076 [page search to find that number]

Which lab have you used to determine your results?

Alpine Hominin
01-29-2014, 08:40 PM
I used 23andme.

ilmari
01-30-2014, 12:58 AM
I used 23andme.

23andMe also has me as U5b2a1.

Alpine Hominin
01-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Going with that I'm guessing 23andme doesn't test anything downstream on U5b2a1. They gave me Y haplogroup R1b-U152 (Don't remember what they call it at 23andme off the top of my head) but I know through familytreedna I am R1b-L2 (Downstream of U152). I was relieved though I came back the U-152. As I mentioned in my genealogy thread, most people of my Surname are E1b, and I was worried that my first kit had possibly been contaminated or switched, but this reassured me.

According to 23andMe the haplogroup U5b2a1 is most concentrated in Finland, and would explain the Finnish and Swedish that pops up in my Ancestry Calculators. I don't have any documented Finnish or Swedish ancestors. I can't find much information in regards to the origin, spread, etc of the haplogroup.

ilmari
01-31-2014, 12:07 AM
Do you have Delaware Valley roots at all?

That's a question I ask folks who have American listed in their nationality when they have Finnish / Swedish matches. There was the New Sweden Colony of 1638+ to consider if you have roots that lead to that area.

MitchellSince1893
01-31-2014, 12:27 AM

That's a question I ask folks who have American listed in their nationality when they have Finnish / Swedish matches. There was the New Sweden Colony of 1638+ to consider if you have roots that lead to that area.

I was at first surprised when I came back with Finnish and Scandinavian from 23andme, but I had multiple ancestral lines from the Delaware Valley and figured that was the source.

When I checked sites like this, I saw one of my ancestors had the same name as one listed here and was from the same area. http://www.geni.com/projects/New-Sweden-Forefathers-Swedish-Colonial-Society-1638-1664-Arrivals/8985

Before 23andme I assumed he was English.

GailT
01-31-2014, 06:03 AM
I used 23andme.

You can also upload your 23andMe results to mthap (link) (http://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/) to see if any extra mutations were found that might place you in a subclade of U5b2a1. This group is estimated to be about 14,000 years old and is widely distributed across Europe. There are also samples in Iran and India, so it likely you will need the full sequence test to see more specifically where you are located in the U5b2a1 tree.

Alpine Hominin
01-31-2014, 06:34 PM

I don't have any Delaware connections confirmed in paper trails. I do have connections to Virginia (The Richmond area when my paternal ancestors came in the late 17th century). My grandfather

You can also upload your 23andMe results to mthap (link) (http://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/) to see if any extra mutations were found that might place you in a subclade of U5b2a1. This group is estimated to be about 14,000 years old and is widely distributed across Europe. There are also samples in Iran and India, so it likely you will need the full sequence test to see more specifically where you are located in the U5b2a1 tree.

I uploaded to that site and was put in Haplogroup U5b2a1a1a because of something called "12406A".

GailT
01-31-2014, 09:39 PM
I uploaded to that site and was put in Haplogroup U5b2a1a1a because of something called "12406A".

We have 9 full sequence samples for U5b2a1a1a in the U5 project. Two have German maternal ancestry, 2 English and the rest appear to be Americans with unknown maternal ancestry. Most people in this group have 1 or 2 extra coding region mutations, so you might get a more specific result by testing the mtDNA full sequence (although some people have no extra mutations). My age estimate for U5b2a1a1a is about 3000 years.

MitchellSince1893
02-06-2014, 12:57 AM

23andme only had me at H1 (boring!) , but the link you provided gave me a positive for H1bt. I now need to learn more about my new group.

Thanks for the link! :)

etl1961
07-05-2014, 04:42 AM

I just found this thread and my mother tested with FTDNA the most complete MTDNA test and her haplo is u5b2a1a1a. I have traced her MTDNA line back to Sarah Blackman in Wayne Co., NC in 1750 but I think her father may be Joseph Blackman and in that case he married a LEE whose mother was a BERCHETT whose mother was a Hannah HEDFORD born 1675 in the Isle of Wight to unknown parents. When I look up the origin of the name Hedford on Ancestry it does show several immigrating from Finland and one from Sweden in the 1800's. It seems to be a rare name. This is speculation at the extreme as I can not prove who Sarah Blackman's father was but it was interesting that this speculative line might track towards Scandanavia which is where it should go. We are surely linked somewhere as well.

Danishviking
01-19-2015, 03:03 AM
I am also U5b2a1a1. I am born in Denmark and what i know of my family is Danish several generations back.

Krefter
01-19-2015, 06:38 AM
I know where U5b2a1a has been found in ancient mtDNA. There's a pre-U5b2a1a1(Deepest subclade it could be broken down into with its coverage) from Bronze age Ukraine(5,000YBP, Yamna culture, likely proto-Indo European speakers) and a U5b2a1a from Neolithic Germany and Spain.

I haven't looked at modern mtDNA yet, but I've heard that it's very popular in Finland(I bet it's a founder effect, because the Finnish pop used to be very small), and is generally seen as a typical lineage of central-north Europe.

GailT
01-19-2015, 06:40 AM
I am also U5b2a1a1. I am born in Denmark and what i know of my family is Danish several generations back.

If you tested at FTDNA you can join the U5 project, share the coding region results, and I'll compare your results with others in the project and GenBank. There are a large number of U5b2a1a1 samples from Denmark published in research studies last year.

GailT
01-19-2015, 07:00 AM
I know where U5b2a1a has been found in ancient mtDNA. There's a pre-U5b2a1a1(Deepest subclade it could be broken down into with its coverage) from Bronze age Ukraine(5,000YBP, Yamna culture, likely proto-Indo European speakers) and a U5b2a1a from Neolithic Germany and Spain.

I haven't looked at modern mtDNA yet, but I've heard that it's very popular in Finland(I bet it's a founder effect, because the Finnish pop used to be very small), and is generally seen as a typical lineage of central-north Europe.

There are two U5b2a* modern samples apparently from Spain:
Montiel-Sosa et al., DQ156210, Spain?
Ramos et al., Z120, Spain-Zamorra

The 6 named subclades of U5b2a are mostly found in northern Europe from England to Russia, so I would guess that U5b2a originated in Europe and that it is primarily a remant of European hunter-gatherers, but I also think it could have spread during the Mesolithic into Siberia, and Ukraine and the Yamna culture, and then migrated back into Europe again with Indo-Europeans.

U5b2a1a2 has samples from India (edit: the Indian sample has uncertain reliability), Iran and Siberia and also throughout Europe so it seems like a good candidate for an Indo-Euopean branch.

Krefter
01-19-2015, 07:50 AM
There are two U5b2a* modern samples apparently from Spain:
Montiel-Sosa et al., DQ156210, Spain?
Ramos et al., Z120, Spain-Zamorra

The 6 named subclades of U5b2a are mostly found in northern Europe from England to Russia, so I would guess that U5b2a originated in Europe and that it is primarily a remant of European hunter-gatherers, but I also think it could have spread during the Mesolithic into Siberia, and Ukraine and the Yamna culture, and then migrated back into Europe again with Indo-Europeans.

U5b2a1a2 has samples from India (edit: the Indian sample has uncertain reliability), Iran and Siberia and also throughout Europe so it seems like a good candidate for an Indo-Euopean branch.

Thanks for the info.

I'm probably going to take a FMS test at FTDNA.

Does most U5b2a look like Mesolithic lineages that were absorbed by new comers or recent founder effects? Are there enough high-coverage U5b2a2b samples to understand anything about its history?

stranraer
03-11-2015, 05:50 AM
Hello,

I have just received my preliminary results from 23andMe and they have me as U5b2a1. My oldest known maternal ancestor is from England.

stranraer

mendo
03-09-2017, 08:49 PM
I'm U5b2a1a2 and my line is from Ireland

FreeAmin
04-08-2018, 04:33 AM
Hi everyone I am from Algeria with this haplogroup U5b2a1a also for U5b2a1a1 according to WeGene I wonder how it came, my theory is that he arrived from Spain of the Strait of Gibraltar in the stone age.