PDA

View Full Version : N in the U.K and Ireland

NomadNick
01-10-2020, 11:07 PM
I am of the subclade N-FGC14542 and my earliest known paternal ancestor was born in the late 18th century in Wrentham, Suffolk, England. I am the only one I know of that belongs to N with ancestry from East Anglia.

I was wondering if anyone who is N from the U.K or Ireland has discovered their likely migration path - From which part of Scandinavia and where/when did they possibly arrive? And is it possible to detect any hint of a migration path through the U.K from relatively recent mutations? Would it be related to the Viking period or some other possibly prehistoric time?

Thanks for stopping by and appreciate any input.

JonikW
01-11-2020, 12:12 AM
I am of the subclade N-FGC14542 and my earliest known paternal ancestor was born in the late 18th century in Wrentham, Suffolk, England. I am the only one I know of that belongs to N with ancestry from East Anglia.

I was wondering if anyone who is N from the U.K or Ireland has discovered their likely migration path - From which part of Scandinavia and where/when did they possibly arrive? And is it possible to detect any hint of a migration path through the U.K from relatively recent mutations? Would it be related to the Viking period or some other possibly prehistoric time?

Thanks for posting and congratulations on having such an interesting haplogroup. I checked out your marker on YFull and wonder whether you're going to upload there. I'd certainly recommend it. I notice a new tester there at YF13272 on a branch with a Scottish man so perhaps that's you...
Otherwise the European testers are all Scandinavian as I'm sure you've observed. Your earliest ancestor is in the old Danelaw, and a Viking ancestor is perhaps the most obvious possibility, via an earlier movement from Finland. It's notable that your clade looks so well represented in Sweden and Norway, as well as Finland. Of course it could have come over in a subsequent movement via, say, the Normans or even such people as Hanseatic traders (they had a base adjoining Suffolk in neighbouring Norfolk, at King's Lynn, as well as at Reval, today's Tallinn, on the Gulf of Finland). I'd await more evidence before deciding on the most likely candidate and hope you get more UK matches soon.

ADD: forgot to say, with a TMRCA of 2,800 ybp I think we can rule out any of the known prehistoric movements. Also added about Reval.

NomadNick
01-13-2020, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the reply JonikW,

I have not yet uploaded to YFull but I am going to, and I will update this thread once I do. I had thought about East Anglia being a strong Danelaw region even prior to getting my results and considered the possibility of Danish Viking paternal ancestry. However, since finding out I belong to haplogroup N I am now starting to speculate that my ancestry could actually be linked with the Norwegian Vikings. I have absolutely zero matches from Denmark and haplogroup N is much more common in the northern parts of Scandinavia and throughout Finland. Additionally, there is evidence out there regarding interaction and intermarriage between Sami tribes and Norwegians during the Medieval period. I had not considered the Hanseatic Traders but that is another very possible explanation based on the little information we have.

I'm hoping there is some more information out there, possibly from other subclades, that can help to narrow down the migration possibilities/probabilities, but from my limited understanding of the results/info I've seen, I can only speculate. As you say, and I agree, it is a waiting game for more test results/evidence to come through before anything can be more conclusive.

NomadNick
01-28-2020, 12:38 PM
I have received my results from YFull (Kit: YF69499) and have been assigned a haplogroup of N-Y17113* which is the same subclade as what FTDNA has put me in (although they name it after another SNP - FGC14539). I also have a total of 19 Novel SNPs. So, it appears I fit into neither of the two current downstream branches (being FGC14538 and Y17416). I suppose a new branch will be created on the YTree at some point in the future, possibly not until there are more kits. I haven't the faintest idea when that might be... Could anyone have an educated guess?!

What I find interesting is that my top 5 closest SNP matches, of which I share 18-25 SNPs with, have ancestries ranging from Northern Ireland, Scotland, Norway and Sweden. Comparing this to my closest Finnish matches who I share <7 SNPs, obviously significantly more distant.

Looking forward to seeing these branches grow as time goes on :)

spruithean
01-28-2020, 03:06 PM
I have received my results from YFull (Kit: YF69499) and have been assigned a haplogroup of N-Y17113* which is the same subclade as what FTDNA has put me in (although they name it after another SNP - FGC14539). I also have a total of 19 Novel SNPs. So, it appears I fit into neither of the two current downstream branches (being FGC14538 and Y17416). I suppose a new branch will be created on the YTree at some point in the future, possibly not until there are more kits. I haven't the faintest idea when that might be... Could anyone have an educated guess?!

What I find interesting is that my top 5 closest SNP matches, of which I share 18-25 SNPs with, have ancestries ranging from Northern Ireland, Scotland, Norway and Sweden. Comparing this to my closest Finnish matches who I share <7 SNPs, obviously significantly more distant.

Looking forward to seeing these branches grow as time goes on :)

It could be any time in the future really, it just depends on a couple other people on your specific branch who get tested and share their results with YFull or elsewhere. Like you I'm on my own little sub-branch of my haplogroup with my "closest" Big Y matches actually being downstream or from "cousin" branches of the ancestral part of the tree. It's a bit isolated, but I hope at some point someone tests with similar results (outside of my known cousins).

With your haplogroup, I would attribute it to Scandinavian activity in Britain and Ireland, especially considering you've listed Suffolk as a place of ancestral origin for your Y-line.

Marmaduke
01-28-2020, 04:45 PM

There was an English immigrant to the Massachusetts Bay Colony in the 1630s who also bore the N haplogroup, listed with very few markers in this Hastings DNA project under Thomas Hastings, 1604. As Hastings left Ipswich, Suffolk, England, on April 30, 1634, all indications are that he was an English Puritan. His N haplogroup has been puzzling to his descendants for the same reasons you mention. But most knowledgeable folks ascribe his likely origins to Viking activity in East Anglia.

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Hastings?iframe=yresults

NAN YI XIAO CHUO
03-10-2020, 09:49 PM
I'm N-Y16106 *, and I formed a haplogroup N Facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/204993117274661/