PDA

View Full Version : Calling all V7a

favouriteslave
08-25-2012, 05:24 AM
A question for all who have tested V7a. Do you have Ashkenazi heritage? Where are your maternal ancestral lands?

My husband is V7a and his maternal side leads to Poland/Russia and 90% or more of the matches were Ashkenazi.

I'm trying to get an idea if this group is mostly exclusive to Jewish heritage or not.

Calamus
08-27-2012, 05:35 PM
I have a predicted 4th cousin (actual 6th cousin) on 23andme who has mtdna V7a. His maternal ancestry is from Norway, and as far as I know not Jewish.

V7a looks to be predominately a Finnish haplogroup, but it is also found in among the Saami and in Russia:

http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/sequences_by_group/v_genbank_sequences.htm

favouriteslave
08-27-2012, 05:55 PM
My mother in laws matches are about 90% Jewish (Poland, Belarus, Russia, Hungary, Romania, Lithuania, Latvia, Germany) and the rest are Scandinavian. Names that end in Dotter/Son. Finland is very close to Russia, Latvia, Lithuania. I believe they share the same uralic language group no? Her maternal family tree shows mostly Polish and some Russian. I'm just not sure it's origination is Scandinavian though. It could have been the other way around and came from E. Europe?.

Calamus
08-28-2012, 07:20 PM
My mother in laws matches are about 90% Jewish (Poland, Belarus, Russia, Hungary, Romania, Lithuania, Latvia, Germany) and the rest are Scandinavian. Names that end in Dotter/Son. Finland is very close to Russia, Latvia, Lithuania. I believe they share the same uralic language group no? Her maternal family tree shows mostly Polish and some Russian. I'm just not sure it's origination is Scandinavian though. It could have been the other way around and came from E. Europe?.

Yes, the gene flow could be from Eastern Europe. Of interest, I took a look at Behar(2006) paper: The Matrilineal Ancestry of Ashkenazi Jewry: Portrait of a Recent Founder Event.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1380291/

The data in this paper contained 583 Ashkenazi mtDNA linages. 17 of which belong to Haplogroup V. And 10 of these 17 appears to belong to Haplogroup V7a (based on the HVR-1 results). Countries of origen was primarily Poland and Ukraine.

ezlinus
08-03-2013, 12:26 AM
YES. I am also in LA. My mom's side are all Jewish, pretty much all Ashkenazi, but my GGgrandmother was born in Swedish Lapland. My DNA Came back in the Haplogroup V, V7a, and V7a1. I always suspected that she was part Saami. Crazy, but I think it's just true! And now that the DNA shows it... My mind comes up with stories. Perhaps her parents? Maybe her father? Her mother's father? I wonder what last names you have in your search. Send me a message. Your post is a year old but here I am a year later with so many questions for you!

favouriteslave
08-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Ezlinus, I sent you a private message about the surnames in her maternal line.

J Man
08-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Which subclade of haplogroup V dominates among the Saami? Is it V7a?

L200
08-22-2013, 04:15 AM
My mother's family came from Berlin and, as far as I know, they are protestant.

mz6yx6
08-19-2016, 04:15 PM
My mother-in-law is V7a but is Russian Orthodox. She came from a village near Yekaterinburg Russia.

lgmayka
08-20-2016, 02:30 AM
My friend belongs to V7a. His matrilineage is Slovak (Catholic).

Calas
02-05-2017, 12:16 PM
My husband is V7a and his maternal side leads to Poland/Russia and 90% or more of the matches were Ashkenazi.

I'm trying to get an idea if this group is mostly exclusive to Jewish heritage or not.

It likely isn't. No one, after all, took a DNA test 100 years ago to be married.

But V7a is fragmented off of the Saami prevalent V. It isn't Eastern European as it, following V's migration, came from northern Africa [where you will still find V7a] and migrated up into the Scandinavian regions. Either it drifted easterly on its own or was carried easterly by Scandinavian based travellers. So depending on where your husband's maternal roots lie it is likely he is descending from Saami or their Continental based brethren.

Terminus88
11-25-2017, 10:23 PM
Which subclade of haplogroup V dominates among the Saami? Is it V7a?

I would also like to know this.

Barbara Davis Levine
06-10-2018, 12:11 PM
I'm V7a. I an Jewish on both sides of my family as far as I know. Poland/Ukraine/Moldova

romelson
06-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Im V7a1 and my maternal line is all saami women. Traced the line back to early 1700s.
I have ran across several mtDNA testers with saami maternal lines that are V7a1, among those who tested Full Mitochondrial Sequence.
In early studies of saami mtDNA, back in 2004/2005 it was stated that around 40% of the saami are V*. But I dont think V7a1 was even discovered back then. I estimate that the saami V are about 50/50 distributed between V* and V7a1.

Rpink53
08-10-2018, 01:49 PM
Hello 23andMe labels me as V7. Are you receiving your V7a results from them as well?

What would differentiate the two haplogroups?

Ralpert
08-12-2018, 03:05 AM
My mother in law is v7a and is Ashkenazi Jewish from Lithuania

Ralpert
08-12-2018, 01:53 PM
Hi, my mother in law is v7a ashkenazi Jewish. From my Google level research, im guessing Basque. I'm H1e ashkenazi Jewish. Which also points to Basque.

From my reading, the Basque people kept themselves separate from the Spanish and wouldn't allow the Inquisition on their lands. Hence, the separdic Jews fleeing the Inquisition that moved northward, went to Basque country where they did well.
Eventually, they were forced to leave by the Inquisition, (but not by the Basques) and kept moving north into northern France and Germany where the ashkenazi were.

So it seems some Basque people converted to Judaism while the Jews were there, hence the V7a and H1e Mt haplogroups found among the ashkenazi.

The v7a coming from the saami people's is less likely.

There's some great articles online about the Jews in Basque. There are still Jews there now.

romelson
08-23-2018, 06:05 PM
An ancient DNA sample (1000yo) from Sigtuna, Sweden, was found to have belonged to V7a, in a recent publication (find it in the Ancient DNA section of the forum).

The individual (a female) in this study that is V7a, has been labelled "kal006". Both the Strontium analysis and the genetic analysis seems to point at kal006 NOT being an individual that grew up in Sigtuna area.

Quote:
"Out of eight carriers of non-local strontium signatures, four were also genetic outliers (cemetery 2: kls001; cemetery 3: kal006 and kal009; church 1: stg020), suggesting migration from a genetically distinct region (first-generation long-distance migrants)"

Eihwaz
08-24-2018, 02:44 AM
Hi, my mother in law is v7a ashkenazi Jewish. From my Google level research, im guessing Basque. I'm H1e ashkenazi Jewish. Which also points to Basque.

From my reading, the Basque people kept themselves separate from the Spanish and wouldn't allow the Inquisition on their lands. Hence, the separdic Jews fleeing the Inquisition that moved northward, went to Basque country where they did well.
Eventually, they were forced to leave by the Inquisition, (but not by the Basques) and kept moving north into northern France and Germany where the ashkenazi were.

So it seems some Basque people converted to Judaism while the Jews were there, hence the V7a and H1e Mt haplogroups found among the ashkenazi.

The v7a coming from the saami people's is less likely.

There's some great articles online about the Jews in Basque. There are still Jews there now.

Her V7a probably came from a female Slavic ancestor. Basques don't have much in the way of V7a - they have more V*.

kingjohn
08-24-2018, 09:09 PM
v7a was found in sigtuna viking city in sweden
i agree it could be of baltic origin .....
it is probably a woman who converted and joined the aschenazi communities in eastern europe ....

kal006 cemetery 3 (Kållandet) ×1.2 ×87 XX V7a –
source: https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(18)30844-3

romelson
08-26-2018, 12:23 AM
V7a is very common among the saami, and quite common among the finns. I think either of those is the most likely origin of kal006.

Amud93
07-28-2019, 12:07 AM
V7a1, Mothers side they are from northern sweden.

Hmm
10-02-2019, 01:33 PM
I'm a Swedish Sami and I belong to haplogroup V7a1, I have no Ashkenazi or Jewish in my DNA. I belong to a long line of Sami women from the north of Sweden, with my earliest known ancestor on my mothers side born abt 1690.