PDA

View Full Version : Ftdna I1 to Haplogroup J Glitch

mwauthy
01-31-2020, 05:39 PM
There is some kind of technical glitch going on with the Ftdna Haplotree where previously assigned I1 downstream folks are now being assigned to haplogroup J. Just scroll down the results of the first page in the I1 project to see examples. I hope this gets fixed soon because itís confusing a lot of people.

deadly77
01-31-2020, 05:44 PM
There is some kind of technical glitch going on with the Ftdna Haplotree where previously assigned I1 downstream folks are now being assigned to haplogroup J. Just scroll down the results of the first page in the I1 project to see examples. I hope this gets fixed soon because it’s confusing a lot of people.

Yes, we're seeing this in the I-Z140 project. it's affected 38 folks out of 908, mostly show showing as J-L136 but one showing as J-817 and one J-M267 (although it looks like the latter is actually hg J for real and joined our project by mistake...) - it's spread among the subclades but all the people it affects seem to have done Big Y. Also folks in I-P109 have seen it so it appears to be all over.

There's a couple of things I can think of - FTDNA's system can't handle two different SNP mutations at the same position, so that could be the problem. Another possibility is that this is a recurrent mutation that appears in more than one haplogroup - this is known and there are several examples. YFull allows recurrent SNPs in 5 or less "localizations" but excludes SNPs from it's reliable list if it appears in more than that.

Or it could be that someone just pressed the wrong button...

oz
01-31-2020, 06:08 PM
A whole bunch of I1s just disappeared.

spruithean
01-31-2020, 06:11 PM
Probably just an error with the software or something. It’s not like it actually changed their haplogroup. You could check your SNP results or your Big Y results and determine for yourself what the situation is. That and the 8-9-8 STR string in all I1s.

mwauthy
01-31-2020, 06:11 PM
Yes, we're seeing this in the I-Z140 project. it's affected 38 folks out of 908, mostly show showing as J-L136 but one showing as J-817 and one J-M267 (although it looks like the latter is actually hg J for real and joined our project by mistake...) - it's spread among the subclades but all the people it affects seem to have done Big Y. Also folks in I-P109 have seen it so it appears to be all over.

There's a couple of things I can think of - FTDNA's system can't handle two different SNP mutations at the same position, so that could be the problem. Another possibility is that this is a recurrent mutation that appears in more than one haplogroup - this is known and there are several examples. YFull allows recurrent SNPs in 5 or less "localizations" but excludes SNPs from it's reliable list if it appears in more than that.

Or it could be that someone just pressed the wrong button...

My first cousin got switched to J-L136. According to YFull there are 3 different SNPs at this location. We are positive for MF37714 but are negative for the other two which includes L136. So I thought this might be the issue but it doesn’t account for why it’s affecting family members differently or why some people are being assigned to different J subclades besides L136.

To confuse things further when I search L136 on Ftdna it says we are both positive for it yet only my cousins Haplotree changed. Furthermore, it says we are positive for L136 even though our genotyped alleles are the same as the reference alleles which doesn’t make any sense so maybe indeed someone pressed the wrong button lol?

JMcB
01-31-2020, 09:00 PM
Coincidentally, they’re updating my branch today. So maybe it’s my fault! I screwed them up so bad, they’re changing everyone into J-L136! :hat:

oz
01-31-2020, 10:00 PM
Whatever it is it's very odd.

mwauthy
01-31-2020, 10:15 PM
Whatever it is it's very odd.

Agreed! It started yesterday too so apparently it’s not an easy or immediate fix.

oz
01-31-2020, 10:46 PM
And what's up with their A-T haplogroup bracket? It's missing C, G and I Hgs. Is someone drunk over there? Are we being trolled?

romelson
01-31-2020, 10:50 PM
In I1 project there is also four guys who got the haplogroup IJ-P124. For one of them, TMRCA with his cousin went from ab.100 years to 42.000 years.

spruithean
02-01-2020, 11:12 PM
This is also affecting the I1 groups in my surname project. It’s pretty funny looking when the haplotypes are obviously I1. Hopefully FTDNA figures it out.

mwauthy
02-01-2020, 11:23 PM
This is also affecting the I1 groups in my surname project. It’s pretty funny looking when the haplotypes are obviously I1. Hopefully FTDNA figures it out.

Yeah I wonder why it’s taking so long to fix? This is day 3 of the post glitch era. Luckily, it didn’t happen to me but I’d be upset if it did. Now the Public Haplotree is not useful because of all the kits that are missing.

spruithean
02-01-2020, 11:29 PM
Yeah I wonder why it’s taking so long to fix? This is day 3 of the post glitch era. Luckily, it didn’t happen to me but I’d be upset if it did. Now the Public Haplotree is not useful because of all the kits that are missing.

Perhaps they've not noticed or no one has pointed it out to them yet? I've noticed some people on various I1 discussion places on Facebook or elsewhere are discussing it and there appears to be a fair amount of confusion. We, thankfully still have YFull, which provides some info, though I imagine we are missing a fair bit of data from others who've not sent information to YFull (such as myself).

jbarry6899
02-02-2020, 01:03 AM
Perhaps they've not noticed or no one has pointed it out to them yet?

It has been reported and I got this response yesterday:

"Thanks for contacting FTDNA. I apologize, there is a technical error we are working to correct that is causing some kits to be reassigned to an incorrect haplogroup. We hope to have this resolved quickly and you should see your results returned to the right placement soon. We apologize for this technical error and the inconvenience and thank you for your patience while we work to correct it."

deadly77
02-02-2020, 01:10 AM
Perhaps they've not noticed or no one has pointed it out to them yet? I've noticed some people on various I1 discussion places on Facebook or elsewhere are discussing it and there appears to be a fair amount of confusion. We, thankfully still have YFull, which provides some info, though I imagine we are missing a fair bit of data from others who've not sent information to YFull (such as myself).

A fellow in the I1-Z140 Facebook group said he received this email from the FTDNA Helpdesk: "Thanks for contacting FTDNA. I apologize, there is a technical error we are working to correct that is causing some kits to be reassigned to an incorrect haplogroup. We hope to have this resolved quickly and you should see your results returned to the right placement soon. We apologize for this technical error and the inconvenience and thank you for your patience while we work to correct it."

Although I remember FTDNA said that the hg19 to hg38 conversion would take about a week and ended up being from October 2017 to May 2018, so I wouldn't expect a rapid resolution.

dink
02-02-2020, 02:05 AM
It didn't happen to me but it happened to one of my Big Y matches of all people...a Big Y match. How can they screw up like this? I am I1-Z63 by the way so it's not just Z140 etc

oz
02-02-2020, 02:32 AM
Well if it's just a minor little fuck up it shouldn't take too long to sort it out right? Wrong! Apparently.

deadly77
02-04-2020, 08:38 AM
Hopefully FTDNA figures this out soon. An admin of the big I1 YDNA Haplogroup project at FTDNA said one of the members has ordered the J1 SNP pack from FTDNA, presumably based on this confusion.

mwauthy
02-04-2020, 12:57 PM
Hopefully FTDNA figures this out soon. An admin of the big I1 YDNA Haplogroup project at FTDNA said one of the members has ordered the J1 SNP pack from FTDNA, presumably based on this confusion.

Yikes! Yesterday project administrators received this message from Ftdna, “IT has worked diligently on a fix for this and we are hoping to push it in the next day or two.”

jbarry6899
02-04-2020, 03:13 PM
Errors have been repaired in our surname project.

mwauthy
02-04-2020, 03:57 PM
Errors have been repaired in our surname project.

It must not be a “one size fits all fix” at the same time because I still see the same errors in my project.

JacobMetz
02-27-2020, 06:15 PM
I am J2 under the L24 branch--specifically F3133>Z38352. I have already done BigY and have been upgraded to the Y500. According to the Y500 I am L136 positive. This is a false positive as in the BigY results page I am listed as being T>T which means this is ancestral and not derived; therefore, this is a false result. I did a little more digging and found my BigY results were full of false positives--I had 15 in the first 10 pages of the results.

Interestingly, at Yfull, I am negative for L136 and the results there have me as C>G. This means that I am positive for MF37714. MF37714/PF6112/P294/FGC13894/L136 are all on the same position on the Chromosome.