PDA

View Full Version : I2a1 in Ireland origin?

Nqp15hhu
02-17-2020, 09:23 PM
I have just matched with a close match from my maternal grandmothers side. This mans surname is Irish from Donegal, so I expected R1B-M222, but his Haplogroup is I2a1.

Can someone tell me what this means. Where did the family come from prior to Donegal?

Webb
02-18-2020, 05:45 PM
I have just matched with a close match from my maternal grandmothers side. This mans surname is Irish from Donegal, so I expected R1B-M222, but his Haplogroup is I2a1.

Can someone tell me what this means. Where did the family come from prior to Donegal?

This will at least give you a little information on I2a1:

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_I2_Y-DNA.shtml

spruithean
02-19-2020, 12:31 AM
Any specific variety of I2a1? There are plenty of subgroups of I-P37.2.

Nqp15hhu
02-20-2020, 12:34 PM
Any specific variety of I2a1? There are plenty of subgroups of I-P37.2.

Nope no subgroup they just have the basic test. Do you know of an origin? I had always thought of this line as being purely Irish so to get a foreign Haplogroup definitely surprised me!

Nqp15hhu
02-20-2020, 12:36 PM
This will at least give you a little information on I2a1:

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_I2_Y-DNA.shtml

It doesn’t tell me how this line got here though. I mean the line is from Ireland so why would they have an Italian Haplogroup? Spanish Armada?

Nqp15hhu
02-20-2020, 12:48 PM
Some of my matches have a different Haplogroup but they share the same surname and are inter related? One has an Irish Haplogroup but the rest have this I-p37 Haplogroup. What is going on?

ph2ter
02-20-2020, 01:10 PM
Nope no subgroup they just have the basic test. Do you know of an origin? I had always thought of this line as being purely Irish so to get a foreign Haplogroup definitely surprised me!
I2a1 is not foreign haplogroup in Ireland!

It is native there from Neolithic.

I2a1-P37 Isles clades are L161, L233 and L621 Disles:

https://i.imgur.com/Sef4iZc.png

spruithean
02-20-2020, 01:30 PM

I-P37.2 depending on what subclade may not be a foreign haplogroup. How many STRs? Run their haplotype through nevgen or the old Cullen predictor.

It doesn’t tell me how this line got here though. I mean the line is from Ireland so why would they have an Italian Haplogroup? Spanish Armada?

Since when is I-P37.2 “Italian”? It’s a haplogroup, it isn’t a nationality or ethnicity.

Some of my matches have a different Haplogroup but they share the same surname and are inter related? One has an Irish Haplogroup but the rest have this I-p37 Haplogroup. What is going on?

No, different haplogroups having STR matches is due to convergence of their haplotypes, hence why there is a need for SNP testing to filter out these sort of matches.

Nqp15hhu
02-20-2020, 01:51 PM
I2a1 is not foreign haplogroup in Ireland!

It is native there from Neolithic.

I2a1-P37 Isles clades are L161, L233 and L621 Disles:

https://i.imgur.com/Sef4iZc.png

The Haplogroup originated in Eastern Europe though.

Nqp15hhu
02-20-2020, 01:52 PM
I-P37.1 depending on what subclade may not be a foreign haplogroup. How many STRs? Run their haplotype through nevgen or the old Cullen predictor.

Since when is I-P37.1 “Italian”? It’s a haplogroup, it isn’t a nationality or ethnicity.

No, different haplogroups having STR matches is due to convergence of their haplotypes, hence why there is a need for SNP testing to filter out these sort of matches.

R1B is the Irish Haplogroup not I. The people with the different Haplogroups share 200cms with each other and we have the same gg grandparents.

ph2ter
02-20-2020, 01:56 PM
How do you know that?

All ancient samples of I-P37 are from Western, Northwestern and Central Europe.

Slavic clade CTS10228 is very young and originated from Disles L621.

spruithean
02-20-2020, 02:15 PM

Citations? Which subclade are we talking about?

R1B is the Irish Haplogroup not I. The people with the different Haplogroups share 200cms with each other and we have the same gg grandparents.

This is not how it works. Haplogroups do not equal nationality/ethnicity. Your relative has tested STRs I presume, so they've been predicted I-P37.2, what is their subclade? They'd definitely need some SNP testing to find their subclade. Certain subclades of I-P37.2 are more common in the British Isles, Low Countries and elsewhere, for example I-L161.1 is noted for its presence in Irish and Scottish Highland lineages. The oldest sample of L161.1 if I remember correctly was Loschbour man in Luxembourg followed by Motala man in Sweden (though I suspect these guys are M423 and I’m misremembering). Pretty sure there is some notion that L161.1 (a subclade of P37.2) was more prevalent in the British Isles until the arrival of other populations who brought R1b haplogroups.

Calgacus
09-12-2020, 03:54 PM

L621 split before reaching Eastern Europe. I was wrongly classed as Dinaric by my first Y-dna test and couldn't work it out as my paternal ancestry is Scottish/Irish. Took some researching to figure my actual classification was older then Dinaric and split around 4100, so around 2000 earlier.

Nqp15hhu
05-30-2021, 12:13 PM
Hi guys, I am back at this again. I'm trying to determine the origin of this line.

The haplogroup is downstream of I-S2364 which appears to be a germanic line. Is there any way to determine the origin of this line? Native Irish or Viking/British?

spruithean
05-31-2021, 04:44 PM
Hi guys, I am back at this again. I'm trying to determine the origin of this line.

The haplogroup is downstream of I-S2364 which appears to be a germanic line. Is there any way to determine the origin of this line? Native Irish or Viking/British?

Could be anything really:

From Eupedia:

S2364 is the largest and most diversified I2a2 subclade. It has the widest distribution of any subclade. It is found in all Germanic countries, including Britain, but also Ireland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Latvia, Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Italy, France, Spain and Portugal. This suggests that it could have been propagated by the Franks, Anglo-Saxons, Goths and Vikings, among others. S2364 originated nearly 4,000 years ago, but its numerous subclades developed between 3,000 and 1,000 years ago, which matches the time frame of the Germanic ethnogenesis and Germanic migrations.

Again, it could be Germanic but I-S2364 is still fairly upstream on the tree.