PDA

View Full Version : 2 Different Haplogroups (mtDNA) Confused!

indigolotus2
02-22-2020, 04:30 PM
Wegene says J2b and now it looks like Prometheus is saying H2a2 (mtDNA). So which is it? The H2a2 has a 100% frequency. The others in those results have the following frequencies: 52%, 72%, 95% & 96%. I also went to this place [Promethease/Haplogroup](https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Promethease/Haplogroup) and followed the instructions. So if this is correct, then why do I have two different results? Is Prometheus more accurate and I should go with that one or what? I might add that the other results with those frequencies above do not show me anything about Haplogroups. Only one that had a box for haplogroups in the snPedia was for the 100% frequency which stated that H2a2 was the Haplogroup. It said it clear as day. Also about two years ago or so I had the free account with Prometheus and I cannot remember how I got this result but it showed me that J was my haplogroup. So then I decided I was on a mission to find my actual Haplgroup. I didnít want to pay $100 just to find out so I saw Wegene and saw that they could determine your group just by uploading your raw AncestryDNA to their site for free. So I ran my results through Wegene and lo and behold there was my Haplogroup J2b. I took this as correct. Now that I know more about Prometheus and how to read reports a little bit better Iíve been on a mission to confirm that my haplogroup is J2b. But now Prometheus is saying my haplogroup is H2a2. Confused!!! I also take snapshots of everything when I find them and download all my reports and save them to my personal files so I have it as a point of reference.

Pylsteen
02-22-2020, 04:43 PM
H2a2(a1) is a standard reference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Reference_Sequence) mt-DNA haplogroup from which all other haplogroups are calculated based on the SNPs present in your raw data file. If your raw file data does not contain information about your mt-DNA, you often get this "standard" (incorrect) result.
You can try the James Lick calculator to check your mt-DNA, this will also only work if the raw data contains information about the mt-DNA.

indigolotus2
02-22-2020, 05:08 PM
That was next on my list. :) Thank you. What about Wegene? Are they accurate because I’ve heard many people use their raw DNA like AncestryDNA to get their haplogroup. I’ve also heard that these people have ran their raw dna through paid places and have come up with the same result.

Megalophias
02-22-2020, 05:42 PM
If you have your raw data file you could open it (Notepad should work I think) and check your mtDNA variants yourself.

indigolotus2
02-22-2020, 09:56 PM
I’ve tried that with notepad and it doesn’t quite format properly.

Jenny
02-23-2020, 09:31 AM
I paid $250 at Genebase several years ago. They said I was U something. Out of curiosity, I had the full sequence at FTDNA and they accurately predicted my haplogroup as H1b1.

When I questioned the first result, Genebase quit corresponding and offered no refund.

I should have known, they claimed to be a US company but their lab was located in Canada.

indigolotus2
02-23-2020, 02:40 PM
Wow. That’s ridiculous. That’s the kind of thing that makes me leery of spending money for DNA. If I could do it over I’d go to FTDNA. Too late for that so I went with AncestryDNA.

I paid $250 at Genebase several years ago. They said I was U something. Out of curiosity, I had the full sequence at FTDNA and they accurately predicted my haplogroup as H1b1.

When I questioned the first result, Genebase quit corresponding and offered no refund.

I should have known, they claimed to be a US company but their lab was located in Canada.