PDA

View Full Version : 23andMe Global Similarity Map

Mehrdad
01-31-2014, 02:32 AM
Hi All,

I was very interested in the results of this map, I was labelled being closest to the Hazara's, I guess my multi-mixed ancestry from both sides of my family is contributing to this. I've included my map results below. I was surprised not to see any Oceania included.

ZephyrousMandaru
01-31-2014, 02:56 AM
I wouldn't place too much stake in it, it's garbage for the most part.

Mandoos
01-31-2014, 03:40 AM
Yes, it doesn't tell much. Very limited reference populations. For example almost all S. Asians get grouped around Pathans/Burusho, regardless of where they're from.

ViktorL1
01-31-2014, 07:29 AM
I got placed next to the Hazara/Uyghur too, and I'm Tajik :D

parasar
02-07-2014, 05:40 AM
Hi All,

I was very interested in the results of this map, I was labelled being closest to the Hazara's, I guess my multi-mixed ancestry from both sides of my family is contributing to this. I've included my map results below. I was surprised not to see any Oceania included.

I was thinking that your spot could be quite close to where MA-1 would land. Let's see where everest59 places MA-1.

ViktorL1
02-10-2014, 05:36 AM

I'm actually almost in the same exact location as you. Mehrdad, what is your precise ethnic background?

Sapporo
02-10-2014, 12:17 PM
The global similarity with all world populations is more informative. The intra-South Asian global similarity is terrible due to lack of reference populations as already mentioned by ZephyrousMandaru.

Mehrdad
02-10-2014, 07:34 PM

I'm actually almost in the same exact location as you. Mehrdad, what is your precise ethnic background?+

Wow, where do I start :D , My great grandfather (Wali) is from Lahore, I use his dad's name Mehrdad since I really like it. He left Lahore in the 1930's for Fiji. I have family in Pakistan and Afghanistan but we lost contact with them after he passed away. He married my great grandmother in Fiji who wasn't Pashtun, she was a Bihari Muslim. My grandfather (Abdul) married my grandmother who was half Punjabi and half Gujarati. The Muslims in Fiji are so mixed with different ethnic groups that it’s difficult for them to say what their ethnic background really is. That’s the story from my father's side.

My mom is easy, her dad's Tongan and her mom's Fijian.

So 1/8th Pashtun, 1/8th Bihari Muslim, 1/8th Gujarati, 1/8th Punjabi, 1/4 Fijian and 1/4 Tongan.

Alpine Hominin
02-10-2014, 09:14 PM
They placed me in the Orcadian and Norwegian populations. I notice that the GSM doesn't have Scotland as a population, and they could be using Orkney to cover Scotland (If someone knows the validity of this, please share).

In any case, I don't take the GSM too seriously.