PDA

View Full Version : H3g4 from Portugal

kafky
03-08-2020, 08:21 PM
Hi! After WGS analysis of mtdna I found that my haplogroup should be H3g4. I do not have much information on other with the same haplogroup. However, as far as I can explore my maternal line, it lies in Portuguese city of Barcelos until around 1665.
Does anyone has more info on this haplogroup?

Best regards

konian lusitanum
03-11-2020, 08:55 AM
Celtic haplogroup , more related to galician and basque country i'm h1j1a

Ruderico
03-11-2020, 10:41 AM
I don't think there's much that can be said, mtDNA mutates slowly and your haplogroup's TMRCA is probably way too old to be associated with any specific culture.

https://www.yfull.com/mtree/H3g4/

kafky
09-04-2020, 10:54 PM
Thanks Ruderico! It seam a bit frequent in northern Portugal. My oldest mtdna ancestor was from Barcelos. However, most reported H3G4 are from Ireland and uk. It may be somehow related to Celtic old populations. But I agree with you, this is a 6000 years old clade...

Ruderico
09-05-2020, 12:26 AM
Thanks Ruderico! It seam a bit frequent in northern Portugal. My oldest mtdna ancestor was from Barcelos. However, most reported H3G4 are from Ireland and uk. It may be somehow related to Celtic old populations. But I agree with you, this is a 6000 years old clade...

They also test way more than we do, so it could be sample bias. It's perfectly possible for it to be Celtic, but maternal lines tend to be more sedentary than paternal lines, since Iron Age migrations were usually male-dominated. My maternal line only changed locations twice since my earliest maternal record to my grandmother (from Marco de Canaveses to Cinf„es). My mother is from Porto, like yourself