PDA

View Full Version : Phasing tool?

Phil1973
04-09-2020, 06:53 AM
Hello all,

Is there an online tool for phasing a child kit without any parent kit? (hidden Markov chain)

Saetro
04-20-2020, 11:25 PM
There are tools to assist with visual phasing using three siblings (that's yourself plus two siblings).
Would that do?
(There is a Facebook group for Visual Phasing.)

Phil1973
04-21-2020, 03:38 PM
There are tools to assist with visual phasing using three siblings (that's yourself plus two siblings).
Would that do?
(There is a Facebook group for Visual Phasing.)

Not really, because I would like to phase the kit of my father, for separating my paternal grandfather and grandmother heritage, and I do not have the DNA of his brothers and sisters.

DNA companies such as 23andme and MyHeritage are able to do that, but it is transparent to the user (except only for displaying the chromosomes by 23andme), they only use this method for improving the reliability of the matches, but not for separating the matches into 2 distinct groups.

The University of Oxford proposes such a tool, but you should get an authorization to use it and it does not seem to be so obvious:

https://phasingserver.stats.ox.ac.uk/about

FTDNA claims to be able to separate both DNA, if your kit matches to a 3rd cousin, but I am not really sure about their machinery.