PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Oceanian results

schmesh
04-09-2020, 10:40 PM
Hi everyone!

I recently uploaded my moms DNA results to GEDMatch and the K36 results put her at Oceanian 0.38 Pct. We are from the United States so this took me by surprise. I'm assuming we shouldn't put much thought into it since it's under 1%?

BalkanKiwi
04-09-2020, 11:16 PM
Hi everyone!

I recently uploaded my moms DNA results to GEDMatch and the K36 results put her at Oceanian 0.38 Pct. We are from the United States so this took me by surprise. I'm assuming we shouldn't put much thought into it since it's under 1%?

Welcome to the forum!

The first question to ask what makes up your ancestry on paper? I'll assume you don't have a documented Oceanian ancestor who came to the U.S, otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question :) You may be better off looking at the Eurogenes K13 or one of the calculators with a smaller number of populations. It's highly likely its just noise. With an amount that small, even if real, you wouldn't match any Polynesians. For example my grandmother matches a reasonable number of Polynesians, but my mother and I don't, and my Oceanian is only around 1% on paper (I've inherited slightly more).