PDA

View Full Version : Oceanian Linguistics

BalkanKiwi
04-17-2020, 10:05 AM
Oceanian Linguistics

Welcome!

This is a place to discuss all Oceanian languages and their differences/commonalities, including the discussion of linguistic studies. Discussion can also be had in Oceanian languages in this thread.

Native languages of Oceania fall into three major geographic groups:

1.Austronesian language family - Includes Malay (Indonesian), Tagalog (Filipino), and Polynesian languages such as Maori and Hawaiian.
2.The Aboriginal Australian languages - Includes the large Pama–Nyungan family.
3.The Papuan languages of New Guinea and neighboring islands - Includes the large Trans–New Guinea family.

References and other useful links

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Oceania
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_languages
https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/oceania_languages.htm

witness
04-17-2020, 05:00 PM
Melanesia,including Eastern Indonesia/Wallacea,is the most linguistically diverse region by far.Wallacea includes both Papuan and Austronesian languages,while south of New Guinea the Torrest Straight Islands has Austronesian,Papuan,AND Australian languages.East of New Guinea in Island Melanesia,both Austronesian and Papuan languages are spoken just like in Eastern Indonesia (Moluccas,Timor Leste,and Nusa Tengarra).

witness
06-01-2020, 04:49 AM
More examples of Bahasa Tanah,Indigineous Moluccan languages

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx6ImtOWnyg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h4jPmg4JdPg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=md8DpSHlgmo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBCINQ9-v4&list=LL&index=539&t=0s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MfRZN24ZFZ8&t=3s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBCINQ9-v4&list=LL&index=539&t=0s

BalkanKiwi
06-02-2020, 06:07 AM
A Maori course is currently being created on Duolingo, and is meant to be available early next year. They currently have Hawaiian, so it should be good to have another Polynesian course on there.

witness
06-14-2020, 08:24 PM
A Maori course is currently being created on Duolingo, and is meant to be available early next year. They currently have Hawaiian, so it should be good to have another Polynesian course on there.

That would be awesome!Sadly many Bahasa Tanah languages of Maluku are dying out,being replaced by either Bahasa Indonesian or Bahasa Ambon which is a local Malay Pidgeon language mixed with heavy Portuguese, Dutch,and Indigenous influences.The original Bahasa Tanah languages of Maluku are of the Central Austronesian language family along with the likes of Tetum and other Austronesian languages of Nusa Tengarra.The Central Austronesian languages are the closest ones to the Oceanian Austronesian languages,there is also Papuan languages in Eastern Indonesia,and even one truly Oceanian language in North Maluku (Halmahera) and West Papua (Birdhead Peninsula)!The reason the Central Austronesian languages are closest to the Oceanian Austronesians is because we both are heavily influenced by Papuan languages,and I believe it's very possible for Central Austronesian languages to even be Ancestral to the Oceanian ones!Central Austronesian languages of East Timor and Eastern Indonesia are also strikingly distinct from "Malay" Austronesian languages and totally unintelligible.They definitely have a distinctly "Oceanian" or Papuan influenced sound.

Oh btw,Melanesia is the most linguistically diverse region in the World,especially New Guinea.And Eastern Indonesia which is heavily influenced by and descended from Melanesia is also the most linguistically diverse region in Southeast Asia :amen: If we consider Melanesia to span from the "front door" of Nusa Tengarra (Flobamora) to the "back door" of Fiji,it makes Melanesia even more overwhelmingly diverse linguistically AND ethnically!

BalkanKiwi
06-15-2020, 09:36 AM
That would be awesome!Sadly many Bahasa Tanah languages of Maluku are dying out,being replaced by either Bahasa Indonesian or Bahasa Ambon which is a local Malay Pidgeon language mixed with heavy Portuguese, Dutch,and Indigenous influences.The original Bahasa Tanah languages of Maluku are of the Central Austronesian language family along with the likes of Tetum and other Austronesian languages of Nusa Tengarra.The Central Austronesian languages are the closest ones to the Oceanian Austronesian languages,there is also Papuan languages in Eastern Indonesia,and even one truly Oceanian language in North Maluku (Halmahera) and West Papua (Birdhead Peninsula)!The reason the Central Austronesian languages are closest to the Oceanian Austronesians is because we both are heavily influenced by Papuan languages,and I believe it's very possible for Central Austronesian languages to even be Ancestral to the Oceanian ones!Central Austronesian languages of East Timor and Eastern Indonesia are also strikingly distinct from "Malay" Austronesian languages and totally unintelligible.They definitely have a distinctly "Oceanian" or Papuan influenced sound.

Oh btw,Melanesia is the most linguistically diverse region in the World,especially New Guinea.And Eastern Indonesia which is heavily influenced by and descended from Melanesia is also the most linguistically diverse region in Southeast Asia :amen: If we consider Melanesia to span from the "front door" of Nusa Tengarra (Flobamora) to the "back door" of Fiji,it makes Melanesia even more overwhelmingly diverse linguistically AND ethnically!

I've recently looked into Tok Pisin which is an interesting language. During my previous studies I had a few PNG friends, but I can't recall them ever speaking another language, which is a shame, as if we were still in contact, I'd certainly take interest. It doesn't look overly difficult to learn. Finding resources is probably the hardest thing, like many Oceanian languages.

witness
06-16-2020, 12:01 AM
I've recently looked into Tok Pisin which is an interesting language. During my previous studies I had a few PNG friends, but I can't recall them ever speaking another language, which is a shame, as if we were still in contact, I'd certainly take interest. It doesn't look overly difficult to learn. Finding resources is probably the hardest thing, like many Oceanian languages.

I also just saw that you have both Ashkenazi and Maori and it made me wonder:do you think me and you would cluster close on a PCA plot?We are both part Ashkenazi and both part Oceanian (Austronesian and Melanesian)?You probably have alot more European than I do but our components are similar.I also just realized since you are part Croatian and I am part Romanian that we also both have Balkanic influence too!

BalkanKiwi
06-16-2020, 10:43 PM
I also just saw that you have both Ashkenazi and Maori and it made me wonder:do you think me and you would cluster close on a PCA plot?We are both part Ashkenazi and both part Oceanian (Austronesian and Melanesian)?You probably have alot more European than I do but our components are similar.I also just realized since you are part Croatian and I am part Romanian that we also both have Balkanic influence too!

That's interesting, and yes, most of my ancestry is European. Based on your profile info I would never have thought you also have Ashkenazi and Balkan. If you go onto GenoPlot and add your coordinates as a sample and make them public, we may be able to use the PCA Plot option to see. Did you have a Moluccan ancestor who moved to Europe?

passenger
06-17-2020, 01:40 AM

Being familiar with your ancestry and GEDmatch results, and having some notion of BalkanKiwi's I doubt you would plot anywhere near each other. You are half Ashkenazi and half Moluccan. I'm not sure exactly where that would put you, but maybe somewhere near South Asian populations? I'd imagine BalkanKiwi plots pretty solidly in Europe, since his Ashkenazi and Oceanian components are fairly minor.

BalkanKiwi
06-17-2020, 02:16 AM
Being familiar with your ancestry and GEDmatch results, and having some notion of BalkanKiwi's I doubt you would plot anywhere near each other. You are half Ashkenazi and half Moluccan. I'm not sure exactly where that would put you, but maybe somewhere near South Asian populations? I'd imagine BalkanKiwi plots pretty solidly in Europe, since his Ashkenazi and Oceanian components are fairly minor.

I haven't played around with PCA's too much, but if he's Ashkenazi and half Moluccan, I certainly doubt we would plot near each other. You would be correct, as I don't plot anywhere near Ashkenazi or any Oceanian population.

witness
06-18-2020, 02:58 AM

You know your stuff indeed my friend.My PCA plot I did in 2013 put me closest to South India actually.

witness
06-18-2020, 03:00 AM
That's interesting, and yes, most of my ancestry is European. Based on your profile info I would never have thought you also have Ashkenazi and Balkan. If you go onto GenoPlot and add your coordinates as a sample and make them public, we may be able to use the PCA Plot option to see. Did you have a Moluccan ancestor who moved to Europe?

I just claim my Oceanian side for personal reasons.Genetically I'm still half Ashkenazi from my father,and I realized how much it meant when I went to Ambon,Maluku for my first time last year and stood out like a sore thumb for multiple reasons including my skin tone and features.Some of the locals even spoke to me in Dutch and most all in English first.This was in contrast to how some of the locals in Jakarta and Makassar City spoke to me in Bahasa Indonesian first.

passenger
06-18-2020, 03:03 AM
You know your stuff indeed my friend.My PCA plot I did in 2013 put me closest to South India actually.

Just a somewhat educated guess, hehe.