PDA

View Full Version : L-M27 in the Levantine population

Lupriac
05-29-2020, 05:16 PM
As I was viewing the samples of a study done on more than 900 Lebanese individual of various religious and regional backgrounds, I noticed the presence of L-M27 in the Druze and Shia population. This attracted my attention, because the Christian population on the other hand has virtually no L-M27 (from what I have seen in the study). (Allegedly it's also found in 9.5% of Syrian samples and slightly less in Carmel Druze) This made me think a lot. I do not know much about this clade other than it's significant presence among Indians (14.5%) and Sri Lankans (15%). Perhaps someone with some extra knowledge can expand on this clade and it's possible presence in regions in different times? Thanks.

Aleph
06-27-2020, 07:24 PM
I was looking through a 2009 paper with info on near eastern L-M20. Didn't explicitly mention the subclades, but it seemed that most of the near eastern L-M20 was focused in Lebanon and Syria, while very little L-M20 was found in Jordanians (1 in 273) and none in Palestinians. Within Syria, a lot of the L-M20 was found in Raqqa so that is/was a hotspot. But I don't know about the specific subclades in the region. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3312577/

In a different study, there was no L-M20 in 146 Jordanians (Abu Amero 2009).

More recently, there was this study : https://www.cell.com/ajhg/fulltext/S0002-9297(20)30155-5 which states the following:

"The relationship of ancient Lebanon with Central and South Asia also manifests in the presence of haplogroup L1a1-M27 among the modern Lebanese Y chromosome lineages (Figure S10). Haplogroup L1a1-M27 is common today in Central and South Asia but rare elsewhere (in the 1000 Genomes Project,45 this lineage was found exclusively in Sri Lankan Tamil from the UK [STU], Punjabi from Lahore, Pakistan [PJL], Indian Telugu from the UK [ITU], Gujarati Indian from Houston, Texas [GIH], and Bengali from Bangladesh [BEB]). We tested46 (see Supplemental Methods) the coalescence of the five L1a1-M27 Lebanese chromosomes and found that they all derived from a man who lived around 450 BCE–50 CE, a time interval overlapping with the Hellenistic period (Figure S10). The presence of the Central/South Asian ancestry in Lebanon during the Hellenistic period mirrors the connected geography under the rule of Alexander the Great’s empire, which had also assimilated the Achaemenid Empire that preceded it and thus maintained a connection between the West and East for five centuries. These large contiguous empires thus facilitated the movement and mixture of people as seen directly by the Egyptian-Lebanese family and the admixed individuals reported here who lived in the Near East at that time."

It could be recent, but 5 individuals seems like a small amount to base it on. But hey I am not an expert so I can't judge.

subzero85
06-30-2020, 01:58 PM
My friend's paternal line is Syrian Christian and is L-M27.

Lupriac
06-30-2020, 09:49 PM
Now that I reconsider the data, I wonder if an exiled Elamite population as a source, is a plausible and likely explanation.

Edit: Although the virtual absence of Christian L-M27 samples makes me reconsider that. It could be of the Persians who settled after the Islamic conquests. Or a conversion of these people. It seems confined to certain places in the Levant so it could be the latter.

MonkeyDLuffy
07-02-2020, 04:33 AM
My friend's paternal line is Syrian Christian and is L-M27.

L-M27 is very common in South Asia, and shows up in high numbers in South Indian farmer communities. Syrian Christians are suspected to be Nair converts in Kerela, and Nairs have decent number of L-M27. It has been in South Asia since IVC (Indus valley) times.

Jatt1
04-11-2021, 01:09 PM
Not sure if this belong here or not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areni-1_cave?fbclid=IwAR3H5zUhqzkTtTPb6v9ac3Ed31JkeBqae2 f5MLhYpTXhaS66RsNZtiFl5bU

diini95
04-11-2021, 03:19 PM
L-M27 is very common in South Asia, and shows up in high numbers in South Indian farmer communities. Syrian Christians are suspected to be Nair converts in Kerela, and Nairs have decent number of L-M27. It has been in South Asia since IVC (Indus valley) times.

My relative I matched with is Somali and his paternal lineage is also L-M27.

MonkeyDLuffy
04-11-2021, 03:47 PM
My relative I matched with is Somali and his paternal lineage is also L-M27.

Possibly arrived via Arabia

drobbah
04-11-2021, 03:56 PM
Possibly arrived via Arabia
South Asians used to frequent South Somalia a lot but Indian ancestry can sometimes be found in the North and Islamic parts of Ethiopia.There was a Northern Somali from a regular clan that has the R1a variant found among Indians/Pakistanis.South Asian communities from places like Gujarat arrived in the Horn of Africa during the medieval period, the Benadiri for example are their most visible descendants.