PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with H1ag ???

Melissay122
06-13-2020, 02:13 PM
Hi ,
I am trying to find origins of H1ag. There isnít much out there about it, so I am lurking on genetic/genealogy boards in case someone out there is either H1ag or has some literature about it . To try and go back on my Mtdna line, the furthest I have go back is my gggg grandmother (born as a Wicks). All the foremothers I am aware of here were in Southern England (Hampshire,Surrey). In the Ancestral origins by FT dna, at the full sequence level it lists at GD 2 Germany,Poland and GD1 as England. I have a lot of Scandinavian on this side as well though (every ethnic ďtestĒ)

I tried looking at H1a origins to get a broader idea but I canít find much about it either. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help! 😊

TŠltos
06-16-2020, 04:46 AM
https://yfull.com/mtree/H1ag/ This is the mtDNA tree at Y Full. You can see where people are from who share your haplogroup. Keep in mind matches on mtDNA can be very old, not traceable in paper trail times. Once in awhile people get lucky and get a close cousin match who happens to descend from same direct maternal line.

mtDNA H1ag also has their very own FTDNA project. https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/h-1ag/about/background

Melissay122
06-17-2020, 03:53 PM
Hey Taltos,

Thanks for this! I am part of the project at FT. It’s rather small so there isn’t a ton of info to find in the project, at least that I am aware of. Funny you mention yfull. I just submitted my sequence info to GenBank as well. I definitely do not recognize any surnames or connections at the full sequence level, although I believe at this level it brings a common ancestor more recent like 125 years. On my maternal line via paper trail I can go back to my ggg grandmother who was from Hampshire, UK born 1821. I just posted on here since this is much more active than FT forums and in case someone also had this haplogroup. I really appreciate the info ☺️

geebee
06-18-2020, 05:16 PM
Hi ,
I am trying to find origins of H1ag. There isn’t much out there about it, so I am lurking on genetic/genealogy boards in case someone out there is either H1ag or has some literature about it . To try and go back on my Mtdna line, the furthest I have go back is my gggg grandmother (born as a Wicks). All the foremothers I am aware of here were in Southern England (Hampshire,Surrey). In the Ancestral origins by FT dna, at the full sequence level it lists at GD 2 Germany,Poland and GD1 as England. I have a lot of Scandinavian on this side as well though (every ethnic “test”)

I tried looking at H1a origins to get a broader idea but I can’t find much about it either. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help! ��

It won't help you to know the origins of H1a because H1ag is not a subclade of H1a. It's a subcade of H1. It's just that there aren't enough numerals or letters to only use one for each level. Sometimes, it's necessary to use two numerals or two letters for the same level.

Basically, that means that the way you can tell each level is by the shift from a numeral(s) to letter(s) or letter(s) to numeral(s). (It's a little more complicated than that because you can sometimes see other characters used than just letters and numerals, but that's basically it.)

So your haplogroup of H1ag is a sister clade to my H1bg, rather than a "cousin". And both are sister clades to H1a and H1b, respectively, rather than daughters.

https://www.phylotree.org/tree/R0.htm

EDIT:

It turns out that what I first wrote is something of an oversimplification. In the case of my haplogroup, it isn't quite a "sister" to yours. Mine is named a bit oddly, because there basically is an "unnamed" clade between H1 and H1bg. According to the usual naming pattern, one might expect a numeral here, but instead the tree simply shows the mutation: C16239T.

I suspect this may have to do with a desire not to have to be renaming branches with existing names. In this case, logically the branch of H1 defined by C16239T could be named H1bf -- as a "sister" to H1be. Only, that would require not only renaming the existing H1be to something else (presumably H1be1), but several other branches would have be renamed. This "renaming" has been done before, but I guess no one wants to do it constantly.

So basically, in the mtDNA phylogenetic tree you might think of "C16239T" as a sister to H1ag, which I guess would make H1bg a "niece" to H1ag.:)

Kristiina
06-18-2020, 06:01 PM
I have recorded one ancient H1ag sample and two H1ag1 samples:
Bulgaria Varna Eneolithic ANI160/VAR127 4600 BCE H1ag,
Iron Age Brittany Hinxton HI 2 H1ag1,
Medieval England East Smithfield London LE136mt 1348-1350 AD H1ag1