PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown of Jordanian Yfull branches

AbdoNumen
06-18-2020, 01:49 AM
For those interested in Levantine Y branches:

I took a look at the 56 samples currently on the Ytree to see if there's a certain structure. Keep in mind that it's not a random sample so may not represent the population as a whole. Nevertheless, these high-resolution results warrant investigation.

Yfull assigns all results into 47 haplogroups. I found that those groups can be further broken down into 21 unique branches (see 'Subclade' column in the below table). 18 out of the 47 haplogroups (38%) are actually part of one branch, J1-FGC11>FGC1695, which is dated to the Iron Age (~1000 BCE). I think it's quite remarkable that such a significant portion of the Jordanian population descends from one, relatively "young" common ancestor.

At least one academic study may back up this finding. Karafet et al (2016) report that 93/170 Jordanians (54%) belong to haplogroup J-L147, which if I'm not mistaken is the equivalent of J-Z2331, upstream from FGC11 and below P58. Flores et al (2005) also reported that 40% of Jordanians belong to J1 (N=101), though interestingly they also sampled residents of the Dead Sea area and noticed their frequency is different (40% R1 and 30% E-M123 vs. only 9% J1).

Though its modern distribution makes it appear to be Arabian in origin, J-FGC1695 has been found throughout Jordan geographically, both in the north (Ajlūn and Al Mafraq) as well as the south (Ma‘ān).

References:
Karafet et al (2016) "Coevolution of genes and languages and high levels of population structure among the highland populations of Daghestan"
Flores et al (2005) "Isolates in a corridor of migrations: a high-resolution analysis of Y-chromosome variation in Jordan"