PDA

View Full Version : RU152 Big-y700

tjspringfield
06-20-2020, 04:32 AM
I am curious to find out what my deep subclade is. On geno 2.0 and 23andme, I've come back as ru152 however I've read that some people do not have deeper subclades? I guess what I am asking, is buying ftdna's big Y 700 worth it? Is that even the test I should buy to get what I am looking for? Thank you, Thomas

Osiris
07-12-2020, 10:33 PM
Have you done any testing at FTDNA for strings? There is an unknown tree out there with all men in it and your place is already set in it and there are a set of men closest to you. The answer to your question is if that set of men have tested somewhere that you can see and can you compare against them. You can't know for certain until you test. U152 is a large and old SNP with descendants all over Europe and beyond. A lot of those descendants however live in Italy and around the Alps where testing is light. But some of them migrated to the US and have large families where testing is heavy. You may get lucky and have a tree with branches every few centuries. Or you could end up like me where I have a branch about 2000 BC and then only the branches that you've discovered through genealogical research.

You can either jump in completely with the Big Y, or wait till a sale pops up and see what's there or start with maybe 67 markers and see how many people are close to you and decide whether to upgrade to big y later. I think it's worth it to jump in but I'd wait for a sale. Once you buy it you'll either know what you need or have to develop some patience and wait for the people you want to test to test.

tjspringfield
07-20-2020, 11:23 AM
Have you done any testing at FTDNA for strings? There is an unknown tree out there with all men in it and your place is already set in it and there are a set of men closest to you. The answer to your question is if that set of men have tested somewhere that you can see and can you compare against them. You can't know for certain until you test. U152 is a large and old SNP with descendants all over Europe and beyond. A lot of those descendants however live in Italy and around the Alps where testing is light. But some of them migrated to the US and have large families where testing is heavy. You may get lucky and have a tree with branches every few centuries. Or you could end up like me where I have a branch about 2000 BC and then only the branches that you've discovered through genealogical research.

You can either jump in completely with the Big Y, or wait till a sale pops up and see what's there or start with maybe 67 markers and see how many people are close to you and decide whether to upgrade to big y later. I think it's worth it to jump in but I'd wait for a sale. Once you buy it you'll either know what you need or have to develop some patience and wait for the people you want to test to test.

Thank you for your response Osiris. I decided to go with the Big-Y 700. I am sending in my sample today so we will see what I get.

Osiris
07-20-2020, 08:58 PM
Good luck!