PDA

View Full Version : I-S1954

tigertank529
06-22-2020, 09:11 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Anthrogenica, just made my account today actually, and I'm interested in seeing if there is anyone with my Y-DNA haplogroup, I-S1954, with ties to Northern Ireland, particularly County Donegal. I'm assuming my great great great.... grandfather is originally from somewhere in Scotland, since my surname is Scottish. Does anyone know what the origins are for my specific haplogroup? If it's worth anything, I took a test with 23andme and got these results in January with the new chip. Also, are there any good y-dna specific tests I could take to perhaps further refine/specify my haplogroup assignment? I've read that the big genetic testing companies don't go as deep as Y-Chromosome specific tests go.

Thanks! B)

JonikW
06-22-2020, 09:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Anthrogenica, just made my account today actually, and I'm interested in seeing if there is anyone with my Y-DNA haplogroup, I-S1954, with ties to Northern Ireland, particularly County Donegal. I'm assuming my great great great.... grandfather is originally from somewhere in Scotland, since my surname is Scottish. Does anyone know what the origins are for my specific haplogroup? If it's worth anything, I took a test with 23andme and got these results in January with the new chip. Also, are there any good y-dna specific tests I could take to perhaps further refine/specify my haplogroup assignment? I've read that the big genetic testing companies don't go as deep as Y-Chromosome specific tests go.

Thanks! B)

Welcome to the forum tigertank529. I'm British and S1954+ and there are several others with the marker here. It's also known as YSC0000261 and probably arose about 3,400 years ago, I'd personally guess somewhere in Scandinavia. As such it's reached our islands through various groups over the ages, some of which will have included the Angles in Scotland. I'd recommend testing at Family Tree DNA or similar to find out what downstream markers you have and see what matches may be out there.

spruithean
06-23-2020, 09:42 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks! B)

Welcome to the forum!

This thread might be of interest: https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?5612-I-S1954

jdbreazeale
09-09-2020, 11:32 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks! B)

Hi there and welcome. My paternal second cousin also tested with 23andMe and this is his reported haplotype, so it would be mine as well. I've only tested on FamilyTreeDNA and I, like the other respondents here, are downstream from I-Z140. Personally, my clade trail goes down from I-Z140>Z141>Z2535(S1953)>YSC0000261(S1954)>L338>A1944>A2398>...

ronzo
09-17-2020, 04:47 AM
I would doubt I-S1954 is your terminal SNP. I also test I-S1954 with 23 and me but after the Big Y my placement is much deeper downstream of there.

tigertank529
12-28-2020, 05:30 AM
I just realized on my haplogroup breakdown that I used to have an asterisk next to I-S1954. But now it's gone. I think this means that I test negative for all variants downstream of I-S1954 and that I'm on my own branch? Or at least was? Can anyone confirm what the asterisk means?

deadly77
12-28-2020, 07:24 AM
I just realized on my haplogroup breakdown that I used to have an asterisk next to I-S1954. But now it's gone. I think this means that I test negative for all variants downstream of I-S1954 and that I'm on my own branch? Or at least was? Can anyone confirm what the asterisk means?

Yep, the asterisk means not belonging to any of the known downstream subclades on the current tree. However, if the only test that you've had is a 23andme test, that chip doesn't test any further than YSC0000261/S1954, so if that's the case your test would not have any positive or negative results for an SNP more recent than that. If you've had another, more specific Y-DNA test since then, the results from that one will tell you for sure. But if it's only 23andme to date, I-S1954 is as far as you can go and it's unlikely that you're negative for all downstream variants. So far, everyone in the database who is S1954+ is also L338+ (one step downstream and not tested on 23andme's chip) when tested to that level for example.

tigertank529
01-08-2021, 12:43 AM
That makes more sense. I have one friend that tested with 23andme recently and received I-F2642. The wiki on M253 shows that this placement is adjacent (kind of like cousins?) to L338. Since 23andme did not put me down that path, I'm assuming that I'm L338+. The wiki seems to be not as in depth and I couldn't find I-F2642 on yfull. My friend's paternal line comes from eastern Germany, although I'm not sure if that haplogroup placement is more common on the continent than in the isles or elsewhere.

spruithean
01-08-2021, 03:22 AM
I-F2642 on YFull is I-S2169, https://www.yfull.com/tree/I-S2169/

tigertank529
01-08-2021, 06:57 AM
Thank you. Sometimes it gets confusing with different names and some SNPs not being directly shown.

deadly77
01-08-2021, 10:57 PM
Agreed - the multiple names for the same SNP (synoms) is rather annoying and one of my pet hates, but it has come largely as the discovery of new SNPs was rather ad-hoc leading to semi simultaneous discovery and reporting of the same SNPs by different groups of researchers. Also doesn't help that there isn't a universally accepted convention. Ideally going forward, all researchers should check YBrowse to see if the SNP has already been recorded but unfortunately that doesn't always happen. Thankfully the YFull tree displays all synom names for a SNP. If you are looking for a SNP, there is a search button on the YFull tree where you can type in either F2642 or S2169, hit enter and it will tell you where that SNP appears on the YFull tree. Likewise for S1954 and YSC000261 (which is what YFull names it) which are synoms of each other.

Yeah, I guess you can think of I-L338 and I-F2642 as kind of like cousins, although their common ancestor is pretty far in the past, currently estimated between 4800 and 3400 years ago according to the YFull age estimate. There are a few resources that are worth checking out for mapping Y-DNA geographically such as Hunter Provyn's Y-Heatmap and Mygrations/Phylogeographer and RoB Spencer's SNP Tracker. Both are good and worthwhile programs but suffer from two major problems of small sample size (as not many people have tested to that level) and user inputted data. So they are more a representation of where some of these lineages were recently (or perhaps where their descendants think they were from) rather than where they really originated. For example, I'm I-L338 and I'm from the Northeast of England and all my known Y-DNA ancestors were born there. But my knowledge only goes back to my third great grandfather in 1831. Before that could have been many other places. And I definitely have no idea where my Y-DNA ancestor was more than 2500 years ago, but it probably wasn't Britain at that time.