PDA

View Full Version : Confused on Big Y

Just_Doc
06-24-2020, 01:39 AM
I took the plunge and ordered the Big Y, but am kind of confused as to why I am still listed as belonging to z287.

Is there something I am missing?

YFull kit - YF74934
FTDNA Kit - 461014

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ruderico
06-24-2020, 07:42 AM
Looking at yfull you're R-Z287*, meaning you belong to a yet-to-define subclade under Z287 that's negative for all other branches

Ibericus
06-24-2020, 09:42 AM
Yes, it sucks. Basically you just have to wait until someone matches you and a new branch will form. Does your paternal line come from Scandinavia?

Just_Doc
06-24-2020, 01:21 PM
I appreciate the insight. So, what you are saying is that my line is unique in the sense that there isnt a subclade already established? How common is this? How many additional participants would need to test in order for a new subclade to be named?

Does your paternal line come from Scandinavia?

Funny you should ask.

To make a very long story short, I matched with my biological father through FTDNA back in 2018 (NPE). I think my mom had some idea, but I looked enough like her to where it was hard to say either way.

Anyhoo, the dad I grew up with - his family was Irish but had been in the states since the late 17th century. My biological dad has no real idea where his line comes from, mainly because he had almost zero contact with his biological family growing up. He was born Pollock but adopted and took the Sears name.

After not finding any near matches with the Pollock surname though, I am convinced that there was most likely a second or even a third NPE somewhere down the line. Its also interesting to me that the large majority (98%) of my matches at ALL levels are found in Europe, despite the written evidence of this particular Pollock line having been in the US since the early 19th century.

Given what I have seen so far, I feel like its more likely than not that this line hasn't been in the US that long. Would this be a correct assumption to make?

Besides Y Full, is there any other service that I should be considering in order to find out where in Scandinavia we came from?

Also, is it worth springing the extra cash for the BAM file? Will my results vary that much on Y Full?

Again, everyone's insight is appreciated.

Ruderico
06-24-2020, 01:49 PM
I appreciate the insight. So, what you are saying is that my line is unique in the sense that there isnt a subclade already established? How common is this? How many additional participants would need to test in order for a new subclade to be named?

You'd need one more individual, it isn't as rare as one might think, my line was originally E-PF4428* as well before I got matched with a Bulgarian (also a member of this forum, oddly enough), later with a German American, and a few days ago with a Latin American of Portuguese background. Basically you'll have to wait for more people to test until one is close enough for you two to make a new cluster.

Another problem is that some of these new clusters might be pretty old and tell you basically nothing about your recent origins..for example the Bulgarian man and I share a paternal ancestor some 6600 years ago. My common paternal ancestor with the German American lived 5700 ago. If I had no idea about my paternal origins this wouldn't have been much of a help until the Latin American and I matched - our common ancestor is probably much more recent, maybe from around the 1300s (going by STRs)

Ibericus
06-24-2020, 02:51 PM
I just asked because I saw you were surrounded by Scandinavian flags up and down. But now that I check I see that there are a few British and American flags downstream too.

As Ruderico explained you have to look at the dates. As it stands you are 4,200 years before present. That's a long time, so your ancestors may very well have lived in Scandinavia and later travelled to the British Isles with the Vikings.

Just to give you an idea my clade is 'only' 2,000 years old and FTDNA lists people all the way from north-west Africa to Ukraine...

Osiris
06-24-2020, 08:41 PM
I agree with Ruderico, it's not rare. In fact at the start of the Big Y it was pretty common. I paid for my line, my father-in-laws and my step-fathers back then and the initial results for all 3 were all closest match around 2000 BC. As time goes on more and more sections of the tree are filling in so there are things to look forward too. Things you can do are ...

1. Wait for more testers to test.
2. See if you have string matches and encourage them to test if they might identify new branches.
3. Potentially identify distant lines through traditional genealogy and encourage them to test.
4. Watch for scientific results from ancient remains and see how close they get to your branch

jljd
07-04-2020, 11:54 AM
I'm also under Z284 and created a new subclade of Z288+ Z287- two years ago..still waiting for my first match though...:)