PDA

View Full Version : Why the Fastest Runners are Black and Swimmers are White...

God Child
08-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Interesting article/study on the differences in Asian, European and African bodies. Discusses how things like limbs and torso length play a large role on swimming and running fast.

http://www.constructal.org/en/art/THE_EVOLUTION_OF_SPEED_IN%20ATHLETICS.pdf

THE EVOLUTION OF SPEED IN ATHLETICS: WHY THE FASTEST RUNNERS ARE BLACK AND SWIMMERS WHITE

Abstract:
Here we explain a much avoided phenomenon in the evolution of speed sports for men and women: The world
records in running tend to be set by black athletes and in swimming by white athletes. We show that this
phenomenon is predictable from physics. Locomotion is a ‘falling-forward’ cycle, in which body mass falls
forward and then rises again. Mass that falls from a higher altitude falls faster, down and forward. In running,
the altitude (L) is set by the position of the center of mass above the ground. In swimming, the altitude is set
by the upper body rising above the water, and it is proportional to H – L1, where H is the height of the athlete.
The anthropometric literature shows that the center of mass in blacks is 3 percent higher above the ground than
in whites. This means that blacks hold a 1.5 percent speed advantage in running, and whites hold a 1.5 percent
speed advantage in swimming. Among athletes of the same height Asians are even more favored than whites in
swimming but they are not setting records because they are not as tall

skyyrie
04-04-2018, 07:34 AM
nice explanation

ApostateAbe
04-04-2018, 03:46 PM
I think a serious consideration for racial differences in swimming is body density. Blacks have a greater average body density apparently due to a combination of greater bone density, greater muscle mass, less fat, and lesser lung size. It means that they are more likely to sink like a rock as soon as they get in the water, and it deters learning how to swim. In the USA, most blacks do not have the ability to swim (it is common to say "don't know how to swim," but I claim that it is more than just knowledge). And blacks drown at a rate of about three times that of whites. Activists are trying to solve the drowning problem among blacks by teaching blacks how to swim, which I think should seem like a bad idea from the standpoint of biological anthropology. You can juggle chainsaws safely if you learn how to do it with good instruction, but I would suggest simply not juggling chainsaws.

lukaszM
04-04-2018, 09:40 PM
Everybody can swim. Blacks are just few percent worser because of heavier bones and less fat. In normal life it doesn't make a difference. But among professional swimmers even one second less during run is important. So every sport team chooses those who will be little faster.

ApostateAbe
04-04-2018, 10:54 PM
Anyone can learn to swim, but for some people it is both more difficult and more dangerous. Suppose that, while you were learning how to swim as an adult, you always carried five pounds of steel bearing balls in the pockets of your swimsuit. They would weigh you down all the time. By my math, 1 in 11 black male swimmers are like that, compared to only 1 in 170 white swimmers.

Saetro
04-04-2018, 11:48 PM
My father went to school barefoot. The family could not afford shoes for everyday.
It was cold in winter, so he ran - barefoot.
He became a reasonable runner over the sort of distance he ran to school: middle distance/cross country.

There was no swimming pool in the area, nor any sufficiently big body of water.
He did not learn to swim until he was an adult. Nothing to do with ethnicity, just opportunity.

These days running can be done anywhere and with no special equipment for the early stages. If the streets are a problem, any sports field will do.
Swimming requires a pool, funds for its use and for coaching, and parents to get children to and from the pool most mornings.

With this heavily confounding factor of income and geography, ethnic origins cannot be singled out as a cause.

The same analysis has been done many times for gridiron and boxing.
Sport can be a way out of poverty for some people. Good on them for making use of their advantages.
My poor ancestors surely did.

ApostateAbe
04-05-2018, 01:05 AM
Cultural factors do not eliminate biological factors any more than biological factors eliminate cultural factors. Sometimes it takes both sets of factors to make sense of group differences, and sometimes the biological differences are large enough that it may be all you need. Many times more blacks than whites sink like a rock when they get in the pool, and from that fact alone we can not reasonably expect anything but blacks are far more likely than whites to drown, regardless of the cultural contributions.

Last week I uploaded a pretty good TV episode to BitChute, about the importance of biological racial differences in track running. It is important to note that it is not merely black Africans who tend to have an advantage, but it is blacks of a single tribe among thousands in Africa. The video on BitChute is titled, "THE DIFFERENCE, EPISODE 2 OF 3: PHYSICAL TRAITS"