PDA

View Full Version : How accurate is Jamesclick Mt haplogroup perdictor?

Deftextra
07-01-2020, 08:48 PM
I tried this tool(https://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/) and it predicts me as H2a2a1.

What experience do people have with this tool?

edit: This is AncestryDNA file converted to 23andMe. I have been reading through this section and from what I can make out is that ancestry DNA does not cover enough snps to predict mt haplogroups.

digital_noise
07-01-2020, 08:58 PM
It was accurate for me. 23 & Me has me at J1. I believe this site predicted J1c2p. I dont know enough to determine how much deeper one is compared to the other.

Pylsteen
07-01-2020, 09:26 PM
That is the standard reference haplogroup from which the other mt dna haplogroups are calculated. If your file does not contain mt dna SNPs which seems the case here, the tool will always give this as a default result.

jkotl0327
07-01-2020, 09:46 PM
It is okay, I am H7c2 and it gave me H7c as a primary result and H7c2 as a secondary result, possibly because I have one flip mutation.

Deftextra
07-01-2020, 10:42 PM
That is the standard reference haplogroup from which the other mt dna haplogroups are calculated. If your file does not contain mt dna SNPs which seems the case here, the tool will always give this as a default result.

Thanks. I get the following markers found:

But then following message at the bottom:

IMPORTANT NOTE: The above marker list is almost certainly incomplete due to limitations of genotyping technology and is not comparable to mtDNA sequencing results. It should not be used with services or tools that expect sequencing results, such as mitosearch.

Very confusing it would then give results at the end lol.

ThaYamamoto
07-02-2020, 01:39 AM
I'm trynna discern the origin of my particular L3b lineage...is there any tool that can do this without me having to go through individual calls cross referencing em against specific lineages in various papers? I mean I would but its long...would FTDNA mt test be worth it? Maybe if I uploaded it to yfull but they only really have Angolans, Kenyans and Zambians represented well/identified.

digital_noise
07-02-2020, 01:59 AM
I'm trynna discern the origin of my particular L3b lineage...is there any tool that can do this without me having to go through individual calls cross referencing em against specific lineages in various papers? I mean I would but its long...would FTDNA mt test be worth it? Maybe if I uploaded it to yfull but they only really have Angolans, Kenyans and Zambians represented well/identified.

Hard to say. An FTDNA mtDNA will obviously give you the most details. They have groups for various haplogroups and you can see all the results so you can compare. It’s not as popular as Y dna , so I don’t know how “exciting” it will be. I know yfull has my mtDNA trees so you can do that also. Again, how much mileage you get out of it is unknown.

ThaYamamoto
07-02-2020, 02:08 AM
Hard to say. An FTDNA mtDNA will obviously give you the most details. They have groups for various haplogroups and you can see all the results so you can compare. It’s not as popular as Y dna , so I don’t know how “exciting” it will be. I know yfull has my mtDNA trees so you can do that also. Again, how much mileage you get out of it is unknown.

Thanks a lot. I think I probably will get it done then and go through the various mtdna calls from some other the WA papers...most likely be my next project. Still working on autosomal/heritage atm though. Never thought this would be sucha expensive hobby lol.