PDA

View Full Version : The Peschanitsa Skull

madaleninha
07-07-2020, 11:54 PM
One of the WeRuHG has a reasonably well preserved skull. Peschanitsa-1 is next to Sidelkino, the oldest EHG.

https://i.imgur.com/mQki3Vw.jpg

madaleninha
07-07-2020, 11:58 PM
A Mesolithic man from Peschanitsa, (archeological excavations by S.V Oshibkina, Lake Lacha, Kargopolie, Russian North), has been first described about 20 years ago. The find has an important role in resolving anthropological profile of the ancient populations in the Northern and Eastern Europe. This study is dedicated to its multivariate statistical analysis and comparison with a variety of European and Levantine Mesolithic materials. Peschanitsa remains belong to a male individual 45-55 years of age and date to 9890120 BP (GIN-4858). Previously, it has been claimed that Peschanitsa is unique and falls outside of the Russian, Baltic and Middle Dnieper Mesolithic fossils’ polymorphism. We use Principal Components’ analysis in order to study classical craniometric measurements of a number of Mesolithic cranial remains from the European Russia. We show that Peschanitsa’s morphology is similar to a number of individuals from different sites: Vasil’evka I (burials 13, 17) and Voloshskoe (burials 1, 5) (Middle Dnieper region); Oleni Ostrov, burials 44, 156 (Lake Onega). General craniometric characteristic of the above crania allows identification of a relatively rare anthropological type in Russian Mesolithic, “Peschanitsa type”. This is a robust, hyper-dolichocranic cranial type, which is characterised by a very high brain case, average width of the forehead, both relatively and absolutely wide face with a relatively narrow nose and orbits of an average size. This new craniometric characteristic allows close comparison with crania from Korsernor, Denmark (except for the lower brain case and narrower nose of the latter) and Hoёdic, France (except for the lower face of the French fossil). Even closer similarity exists between the “Peschanitsa Type” and representatives of Natfian culture from Levant, especially with non-typical Natufians from Eynan (Mallaha). Equally striking is the closeness between the “Peschanitsa Type” and North African crania from Afalou-Bou-Rhummel. Further research into the origin of the “Peschanitsa Type” in European Russia is under way.

From Peschanitsa Mesolithic Man from Northern Russia according to craniometric data
Pezhemsky D., Bulygina E.

Aleph
07-13-2020, 03:30 PM
Do you have a plate with the specific measurements as well?

madaleninha
07-16-2020, 02:45 AM
Unfortunately not

Aleph
09-05-2020, 08:11 PM
Unfortunately not

I came across this. I think that the name reads Peschanista. I suppose that it is the same as the sample from which DNA was extracted in the Fatyanovo paper because the description above kind of matches it. Length is 186 mm, width is 134 mm, basion-bregma height is 142 mm. This is hypsicranic, but not hyperdolichocephalic, only dolichocephalic. 39427

alchemist223
09-06-2020, 04:13 AM
Interestingly this is the earliest example of Haplogroup R1a in ancient DNA. This proves that R1a is very closely linked to the development of the Eastern Hunter Gatherer (EHG) genetic group.

madaleninha
09-11-2020, 12:03 AM
I came across this. I think that the name reads Peschanista. I suppose that it is the same as the sample from which DNA was extracted in the Fatyanovo paper because the description above kind of matches it. Length is 186 mm, width is 134 mm, basion-bregma height is 142 mm. This is hypsicranic, but not hyperdolichocephalic, only dolichocephalic. 39427

Thanks!!!!

What is the source?
I can't read in Cyrillic. What are these other measures?
I had gotten measurements from an English paper. Unfortunately, there were many errors and I found the article to be unreliable.

Xeon
09-11-2020, 12:13 AM
Thanks!!!!

What is the source?
I had gotten measurements from an English article. Unfortunately, there were many errors and I found the article to be unreliable.

i did my best to translate the ones i can to their respective values

8. Cross diameter

8:1. Cranial index

17. Height diameter

17: 1. Height-longitudinal indicator

17:8. Height-transverse

20. Ear height

5. Length of skull base

9. Smallest forehead width

10. The greatest width of the forehead

9:10. Latitudinal frontal index

11. Width of the skull base

12. Occipital width

31. Occipital chord

madaleninha
09-11-2020, 12:20 AM
For example, how much is the bizygomatic breadth?

Aleph
09-12-2020, 04:29 PM
Thanks!!!!

What is the source?
I had gotten measurements from an English paper. Unfortunately, there were many errors and I found the article to be unreliable.

Those numbers are supposed to be martin's values so presumably they correspond to the measurements of the martin numbers like m1 being length, m8 being width, m17 being basion bregma height .etc. The martin's number for bizygomatic is m45, and 45 doesn't appear on that picture so it isn't present on it. I got it from here: http://slavanthro.mybb3.ru/viewtopic.php?p=225295
IDK how on earth I found my way to that thread though lol.
Here is another screenshot from the thread: 39569
Presumably the second page of values for the skull. M45 is listed here as 139 mm. Broader than the maximum cranial width. Nasal index is 45.7 (lepto), orbital index is 77.4 (rounder than upper paleolithic hunter gatherers). M48 is upper facial length.

davit
10-21-2020, 12:27 AM
From Peschanitsa Mesolithic Man from Northern Russia according to craniometric data
Pezhemsky D., Bulygina E.

DIdn't Yamnaya also belong to this robot, long headed type?

madaleninha
10-21-2020, 12:45 AM
Yes, the anthropometric description of the Yamnaya individuals is very similar to Pescchanitsa.

Buxoro
10-21-2020, 07:34 AM
Looks very harmonious

davit
10-27-2020, 12:06 AM
Are there still people who belong to the proto-Europid type? I rarely see people who are both robust and dolico.

Riverman
10-27-2020, 12:46 AM
Are there still people who belong to the proto-Europid type? I rarely see people who are both robust and dolico.

Yes of course, just not as frequently as in the Mesolithic and it depends on the region and ethnicity you look at as well.

Buxoro
10-27-2020, 04:38 PM

I am both robust and dolico (cephalic index in 60’s range, very long head)

davit
10-28-2020, 12:48 AM
I am both robust and dolico (cephalic index in 60’s range, very long head)

Nice. Are you Uzbek?

Buxoro
10-28-2020, 08:38 PM
Nice. Are you Uzbek?
Paternal side is Bukharan Tajik (with substantial turkic input), maternal is Russian. Maternal side is brachycephalic mostly, i got it from my Father’s side.

davit
12-10-2020, 12:47 PM
Is there any similarity to the Mechtoid skulls?

Aleph
12-18-2020, 03:58 PM
Is there any similarity to the Mechtoid skulls?

Haven't heard of any such comparisons. Though there are some Iberomaurusian measurements listed in https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0002995 if you wanted to check it.