PDA

View Full Version : Current thinking regarding ancient movement from Southern China into northern Taiwan

BalkanKiwi
07-08-2020, 10:43 AM
I've been catching up on some reading regarding Austronesian's, specifically Taiwanese indigenous peoples, and their potential genetic relationship with Mainland China. I came across this article (https://phys.org/news/2020-05-ancient-dna-unveils-important-piece.html) that discusses the work by Professor Fu and her team. This article states:

Archaeological materials dating back to the Middle Neolithic have long hinted at the connection between Austronesian islanders and populations in mainland East Asia. Now, the genetic relationships uncovered by Prof. Fu and her team show unambiguous evidence that Austronesian speakers today originated from a proto-Austronesian population that derived from southern China at least 8,400 year ago.

This article by Chang et al, titled A holistic picture of Austronesian migrations revealed by phylogeography of Pacific paper mulberry (https://www.pnas.org/content/112/44/13537), reports paper mulberries in particular were likely transported between Southern China, possibly Fujian, to Taiwan.

Sagart et al mention in this article, A northern Chinese origin of Austronesian agriculture: new evidence on traditional Formosan cereals, (https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s12284-018-0247-9) and state:

We trace this suite of cereals to northeastern China in the period 6000–5000 BCE and argue, following earlier proposals, that the precursors of the Austronesians, expanded south along the coast from Shandong after c. 5000 BCE to reach northwest Taiwan in the second half of the 4th millennium BCE.

I've also come across some literature that suggests the Liangzhu culture to be the likely origin of Austronesian's.

For those here with more knowledge regarding East Asian migration, is the current general consensus in line with a Southern China origin? I can't find any peer reviewed papers, or recent papers for that matter, that support the Liangzhu claim.

Kulin
07-08-2020, 11:25 AM
It is very probable since the site contains high incidence of O-M175. Archaeologically however, I cannot say. Also based on modern results, it would make sense. Generally, populations in maritime south-east Asia/Oceania with the greatest Austronesian genetic impact (e.g. certain Highlanders) are more "northern" than their surrounding counterparts, with this component decreasing as one proceeds southwards/westwards. This component most likely came from more inland areas. I would imagine that the Austronesian uremheit would've started off with a stronger base with the ability to support a greater population like the areas around the Yangtze River rather than the highlands of Taiwan.

BalkanKiwi
07-11-2020, 01:57 AM
It is very probable since the site contains high incidence of O-M175. Archaeologically however, I cannot say. Also based on modern results, it would make sense. Generally, populations in maritime south-east Asia/Oceania with the greatest Austronesian genetic impact (e.g. certain Highlanders) are more "northern" than their surrounding counterparts, with this component decreasing as one proceeds southwards/westwards. This component most likely came from more inland areas. I would imagine that the Austronesian uremheit would've started off with a stronger base with the ability to support a greater population like the areas around the Yangtze River rather than the highlands of Taiwan.

I've had a bit more time to find somewhat more recent related studies. I certainly agree with areas around the Yangtze valley as a whole. Here are a few I've found which point to more evidence of such an origin. I've included abstracts for each.

Ancient DNA Evidence From China Reveals the Expansion of Pacific Dogs (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31913480/)

The ancestral homeland of Australian dingoes and Pacific dogs is proposed to be in South China. However, the location and timing of their dispersal and relationship to dog domestication is unclear. Here, we sequenced 7,000- to 2,000-year-old complete mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) genomes of 27 ancient canids (one gray wolf and 26 domestic dogs) from the Yellow River and Yangtze River basins. These are the first complete ancient mtDNA of Chinese dogs from the cradle of early Chinese civilization. We found that most ancient dogs (18/26) belong to the haplogroup A1b lineage that is found in high frequency in present-day Australian dingoes and precolonial Pacific Island dogs but low frequency in present-day China. Particularly, a 7,000-year-old dog from the Tianluoshan site in Zhejiang province possesses a haplotype basal to the entire haplogroup A1b lineage. We propose that A1b lineage dogs were once widely distributed in the YYRB area. Following their dispersal to South China, and then into Southeast Asia, New Guinea and remote Oceania, they were largely replaced by dogs belonging to other lineages in the last 2,000 years in present-day China, especially North China.

Ancient DNA indicates human population shifts and admixture in northern and southern China (https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/05/14/science.aba0909.abstract)

Human genetic history in East Asia is poorly understood. To clarify population relationships, we obtained genome wide data from 26 ancient individuals from northern and southern East Asia spanning 9,500-300 years ago. Genetic differentiation was higher in the past than the present, reflecting a major episode of admixture involving northern East Asian ancestry spreading across southern East Asia after the Neolithic, transforming the genetic ancestry of southern China. Mainland southern East Asian and Taiwan Strait island samples from the Neolithic show clear connections with modern and ancient samples with Austronesian-related ancestry, supporting a southern China origin for proto-Austronesians. Connections among Neolithic coastal groups from Siberia and Japan to Vietnam indicate that migration and gene flow played an important role in the prehistory of coastal Asia.

In regards to the above article, I found the paragraph below particularly interesting from the full paper, especially as someone who has conducted some modelling with the ancient Vanuatu and Tongan samples:

We further investigated connections between the ancient samples and 3,000-year-old Southwest Pacific islanders from Vanuatu (10), who share a close relationship to present-day Austronesians. The Neolithic samples from mainland southern China and the Taiwan Strait islands group with the ancient Vanuatu samples in a maximum-likelihood tree (b.s. = 82.3-100%, Fig. 2A and fig. S5) and share high genetic similarity with the Vanuatu in an outgroup f3-analysis (Fig. 1D). Moreover, a direct f4-comparison demonstrates that Late Neolithic southern East Asians share a close genetic relationship with these Austronesian-related Southwest Pacific islanders (fig. S4A), with no excess connections from either group to Neolithic northern East Asians. These results further support the proposed connection between Neolithic southern East Asians and proto-Austronesians (29).

Quantifying the Legacy of the Chinese Neolithic on the Maternal Genetic Heritage of Taiwan and Island Southeast Asia (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26875094/)

There has been a long-standing debate concerning the extent to which the spread of Neolithic ceramics and Malay-Polynesian languages in Island Southeast Asia (ISEA) were coupled to an agriculturally driven demic dispersal out of Taiwan 4000 years ago (4 ka). We previously addressed this question using founder analysis of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) control-region sequences to identify major lineage clusters most likely to have dispersed from Taiwan into ISEA, proposing that the dispersal had a relatively minor impact on the extant genetic structure of ISEA, and that the role of agriculture in the expansion of the Austronesian languages was therefore likely to have been correspondingly minor. Here we test these conclusions by sequencing whole mtDNAs from across Taiwan and ISEA, using their higher chronological precision to resolve the overall proportion that participated in the "out-of-Taiwan" mid-Holocene dispersal as opposed to earlier, postglacial expansions in the Early Holocene. We show that, in total, about 20% of mtDNA lineages in the modern ISEA pool result from the "out-of-Taiwan" dispersal, with most of the remainder signifying earlier processes, mainly due to sea-level rises after the Last Glacial Maximum. Notably, we show that every one of these founder clusters previously entered Taiwan from China, 6-7 ka, where rice-farming originated, and remained distinct from the indigenous Taiwanese population until after the subsequent dispersal into ISEA.

I couldn't find any archaeological studies to accompany the genetic studies, however there appears to be strong genetic evidence regardless. There may actually be archaeological studies available and I just haven't found them yet.

Kulin
07-11-2020, 02:17 AM
I've had a bit more time to find somewhat more recent related studies. I certainly agree with areas around the Yangtze valley as a whole. Here are a few I've found which point to more evidence of such an origin. I've included abstracts for each.

Ancient DNA Evidence From China Reveals the Expansion of Pacific Dogs (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31913480/)

Ancient DNA indicates human population shifts and admixture in northern and southern China (https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/05/14/science.aba0909.abstract)

In regards to the above article, I found the paragraph below particularly interesting from the full paper, especially as someone who has conducted some modelling with the ancient Vanuatu and Tongan samples:

Quantifying the Legacy of the Chinese Neolithic on the Maternal Genetic Heritage of Taiwan and Island Southeast Asia (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26875094/)

I couldn't find any archaeological studies to accompany the genetic studies, however there appears to be strong genetic evidence regardless. There may actually be archaeological studies available and I just haven't found them yet.

Great studies, thanks for posting! It would make sense uni-parental wise as well, given that most clades of O that are today considered Austronesian are found in minor (with a few being significant) amounts as far north as North East China. Going by historical records, we know that throughout Chinese history, the island of Taiwan was largely left alone. Aside from a few pirates and rebels, the area was off limits to most Han and was only colonized in the Qing period. This would mean that the remaining Austronesian cultures that did not migrate to islands in the Pacific were absorbed/assimilated by groups like the Han. This would thus support the uremheit of the Austronesian peoples being in mainland China.

BalkanKiwi
07-11-2020, 02:47 AM
Great studies, thanks for posting! It would make sense uni-parental wise as well, given that most clades of O that are today considered Austronesian are found in minor (with a few being significant) amounts as far north as North East China. Going by historical records, we know that throughout Chinese history, the island of Taiwan was largely left alone. Aside from a few pirates and rebels, the area was off limits to most Han and was only colonized in the Qing period. This would mean that the remaining Austronesian cultures that did not migrate to islands in the Pacific were absorbed/assimilated by groups like the Han. This would thus support the uremheit of the Austronesian peoples being in mainland China.

You're welcome! I agree with it making sense uni-parental wise as well. Out of interest, here is the maternal haplogroup migration figure from the Brandão et al study:

https://i.imgur.com/LgKk0WV.jpg

I've had a quick attempt at modelling the ancient Vanuatu samples with the inclusion of some of the East Asian samples. It's a bit messy fit wise so I need to work on it. Ideally we would have more ancient DNA instead of the need to mix ancient with modern.

I went and quickly modeled myself with the inclusion of the Yellow River population. This is unscaled with penalty applied:

Sample:Balkan Kiwi ► BalkanKiwi
Fit:0.5374
Results:Scottish37
Irish29.5
English16.5
Croatian14
Nasoi2
Yellow River LN1

There is probably a better ancient China sample I could use with further research. Yellow River was a quick one to put in geography wise. Interestingly the most my grandmother gets is 0.5%.

EDIT:

If I replace Nasoi with Kosipe which is a better fitting Papuan like population from a previous OptimaFit run, and replace Yellow River with Xitoucun, Xitoucun is higher than Kosipe. Its possible the Xitoucun sample has something that's causing it to be inflated.

Fit:0.644
Results:Irish50
English34.5
Croatian13
Xitoucun N1.5
Kosipe1

If I replace Kosipe with Nasoi then Xitoucun drops a bit. The percentage doesn't matter, but its interesting to see the fluctuation when mixing these populations.

Fit:0.6343
Results:Irish52
English31.5
Croatian14
Nasoi2
Xitoucun N0.5

EDIT 2:

I went and ran an OptimaFit running with the following model, based off data from the Yang et al study (https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/05/14/science.aba0909.abstract) mentioned in this thread:

Unscaled with penalty

https://i.imgur.com/jhg0ns0.jpg

The result:

https://genoplot.com/genoplot16.png GenoPlot (https://genoplot.com/shared/g25/#Balkan_Kiwi/1733caac85c1)
Fit:1.3279
Results:England MBA85.4
HRV EBA6
Xitoucun N4.4
Scotland N o4.2

The percentage is inflated, but it seems to fit with the PCA findings by Yang et al in regards to Xitoucun's proximity to ancient Vanuatu. If data for the Suogang sample was available, its possible this would be a better fit. My model may not be ideal, which has led to the inflated values.

BalkanKiwi
07-13-2020, 11:53 PM
After some help from ph2ter and further running of models, I've seemed to validate my suspicion that Xitoucun contains some Austronesian, hence why it fits the above models with an inflated percentage. Below is an Admix3 unscaled run that ph2ter kindly performed on the Xitoucun sample:

Ami + Luzon + Miao 0.013814
Ami + Ami + Tujia 0.013820
Ami + Han_Chongqing + Luzon 0.013871
Ami + Ami + Han_Chongqing 0.013909

54% Ami + 21% Han_Hubei + 25% Gelao 0.011678
51% Ami + 32% Zhuang + 17% Han_Hubei 0.011835
56% Ami + 25% Han_Chongqing + 19% Gelao 0.011855
34% Ami + 20% Luzon + 46% Dong_Hunan 0.011889

Taking this information and out of interest, I then ran the other ancient samples from southern China to see roughly how much Austronesian they contains compared to East Asian. These are all unscaled runs with penalty applied.

Chuanyun Historic
Sample:Chuanyun Historic ► Average
Fit:1.3479
Results:Han Hubei71
Upper Yellow River IA12
Ami10.5
Miao6.5
Tanshishan N
Sample:Tanshishan N ► Average
Fit:1.4456
Results:Ami68.5
Gelao27
Miao2.5
Han Hubei2
Xitoucun
Sample:Xitoucun N ► Average
Fit:1.0848
Results:Ami55.5
Gelao27
Han Hubei13
Miao4.5
Qihe (This is the best fit I can get so far with some quick attempts at fitting populations in)
Sample:Qihe N ► Average
Fit:2.6939
Results:Zhuang48.5
Luzon29.5
Gelao22
Liangdao1
Sample:Liangdao1 N ► Average
Fit:1.5406
Results:Ami40
Miao26
Agta20.5
Luzon13.5

It seems Chuanyun is the only southern Chinese sample that is majority East Asian and does not contain much Austronesian from any backwards migration, so we'll use this as the sample of choice for the below modelling, as it could be assumed any percentage scored is likely represenative of actual East Asian. I recreated the rough ancient and modern models for myself, and this time used Chuanyun instead of Xitoucun.

Unscaled with penalty with ancient samples
Fit:1.3642
Results:England CA EBA86
HRV EBA9
Levant Natufian3.5
Chuanyun Historic1
2900BP all (Vanuatu)0.5
Unscaled with penalty with modern samples
Fit:0.6126
Results:Irish50
English35.5
Croatian10
Samaritan3
Kosipe1
Chuanyun Historic0.5

I wanted to validate this with samples that have more Oceanian ancestry than myself. This is where some of the ghost samples I created for my family (https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?20932-Ghost-feature-experimentation&p=681140&viewfull=1#post681140) come in handy.

Grandmother ancient (real data, Vanuatu sample included but no percentage assigned)

Sample:Balkan Kiwi ► BKGrandmother
Fit:1.3528
Results:England CA EBA89
IRL BA9
Chuanyun Historic2
Grandmother modern (real data)
Sample:Balkan Kiwi ► BKGrandmother
Fit:0.6896
Results:Irish65.5
English32
Nasoi1.5
Chuanyun Historic1
Great grandfather ghost sample ancient
Sample:Balkan Kiwi ► BKGreatgrandfatherMaori
Fit:0.9133
Results:England CA EBA64.5
IRL BA32
Chuanyun Historic2
2900BP all1.5
Great grandfather ghost sample modern
Sample:Balkan Kiwi ► BKGreatgrandfatherMaori
Fit:0.1521
Results:English50.5
Welsh45.5
Maori3.5
Chuanyun Historic0.5
2nd great grandmother ghost sample ancient
Sample:Balkan Kiwi ► BK2ndGreatgrandmotherMaori
Fit:0.897
Results:England CA EBA62.5
IRL BA32
2900BP all3
Chuanyun Historic2.5
2nd great grandmother ghost sample modern
Sample:Balkan Kiwi ► BK2ndGreatgrandmotherMaori
Fit:0.3118
Results:English53
Welsh42.5
Maori2.5
Chuanyun Historic2
3rd great grandmother ghost sample ancient
Sample:Balkan Kiwi ► Eleanortest
Fit:0.9191
Results:England CA EBA65
IRL BA24
2900BP all7
Chuanyun Historic4
3rd great grandmother ghost sample modern
Sample:Balkan Kiwi ► Eleanortest
Fit:0.3197
Results:Welsh46.5
English36
Maori14
Chuanyun Historic3.5

I might need to do more work, but the above findings may help to validate some of the research that suggests a southern China origin. It seems quite a few of the ancient samples contain Austronesian, which is why these may plot close to Oceanian peoples. This is also a good example of how OptimaFit can be misleading if not interpreted correctly in the context of the samples selected.

loxias
08-30-2020, 04:02 PM

Much agreed. Autosomal data from Liangzhu culture individuals and others from the lower Yangtze like Hemudu is long overdue. I am convinced they will cluster along with the Neolithic Fujian samples and ancient Taiwanese as well.
There is substantial linguistic evidence that Tai-Kadai and Austronesian are related clades, or that they were in very close contact in their early stages. Some argue that Tai-Kadai followed the inland route whereas Austronesians left via Taiwan. Lower Yangtze cultures may provide the missing link.

I tried running East Asian populations through Vahaduo using a selection of ancient (almost exclusively Neolithic) samples. I tried to classify the ancient samples the least arbitrarily possible, I put the Lao and Vietnam neolithic together as "Indochina_N", the Southern East Asian samples from the Melinda Yang studies together as "Fujian_N", the Northern East Asian samples from her study as "Shandong_N", Taiwan_Hanben and Taiwan_Gongguan together as "Taiwan_N", etc... I put the Yellow River valley samples that clustered together into "Yellow_River_N", etc... You can see the whole list below.

Indochina_N:VNM_LN,0.0163143,-0.3875937,-0.0568197,-0.0402673,0.1348967,0.0703733,-0.0036033,-0.0036923,-0.0100217,-0.0145787,0.0582973,0.002947,-0.006442,-0.012386,0.0081887,-0.0002653,0.0080403,-0.0089527,0.000838,0.004419,-0.0024957,0.007337,-0.0058747,-0.0076713,0.028181
Indochina_N:VNM_N,0,-0.386917,-0.064865,-0.031008,0.134333,0.06038,0.0036425,-0.010961,-0.0138055,-0.014579,0.0695835,-0.001499,-0.002007,0.001376,0.0169655,-0.0031155,-0.0011085,0.00076,-0.0020115,0.01532,-0.0034935,0.0084085,0.0030195,-0.0063865,0.034009
Indochina_N:LAO_LN_BA,0.005691,-0.40215,-0.083721,-0.034561,0.15049,0.078089,-0.002585,-0.012692,-0.006136,-0.018588,0.089801,0.004346,-0.012785,0.010184,0.003393,-0.005701,-0.002477,0.0019,-0.00088,0.026388,-0.016845,0.02201,-0.011955,0.001325,0.039038
Indochina_P:LAO_Hoabinhian,-0.025041,-0.224432,-0.11917,0.087856,0.022466,-0.001952,-0.003055,0.01223,0.060539,0.018406,0.012829,0.0011 99,-0.000446,0.006055,-0.007872,-0.006364,-0.00352,-0.00076,-0.005531,0.023386,0.006988,0.013107,-0.017131,-0.001325,0.003712
Andaman_P:IND_Great_Andamanese_100BP,-0.018212,-0.235603,-0.128598,0.098838,0.023389,-0.003904,-0.016686,-0.003231,0.059721,0.02041,0.023222,0.004646,-0.0055,0.001239,-0.016151,-0.008884,0.009518,0.001014,-0.004902,0.026888,-0.00549,0.011994,-0.013311,-0.001205,0.000958
Papuan,-0.045985,-0.241087,-0.263758,0.309242,0.206931,-0.509589,-0.001974,0.007015,-0.041273,-0.011955,-0.018902,0.000869,0.001397,-0.00311,0.000163,-0.000318,-0.00219,-0.00185,-0.001081,-0.001526,0.002346,0.001805,0.001232,0.001832,0.001 605
Heilongjiang_N:CHN_Amur_River_EN,0.025041,-0.4595275,0.097674,-0.036822,-0.0809385,-0.060101,0.0200935,0.0271145,0.0140095,0.014579,-0.023059,0.0062945,0.00498,-0.0052295,-0.003868,0.0059665,-0.0020865,0.001267,0.0098045,0.024762,-0.011043,-0.0200315,-0.020028,-0.009158,-0.0088015
Shandong_N:CHN_Bianbian_N,0.015935,-0.443786,0.028284,-0.052003,0.024312,-0.005299,-0.002585,0.000231,-0.00225,0.011663,-0.073887,-0.006744,0.004906,-0.007844,-0.011943,0.001724,0.004303,0.004687,0.002011,0.004 127,0.022086,-0.001731,-0.003451,-0.005181,-0.008981
Shandong_N:CHN_Boshan_N,0.01935,-0.444802,0.032432,-0.062339,0.012618,0.002789,0.009635,0.003,-0.007772,0.008201,-0.074861,-0.009891,0.009812,-0.008533,-0.010315,-0.005701,-0.004042,0.003801,-0.000377,-0.002126,0.013726,0.003215,0.005793,-0.005543,-0.005628
Fujian_N:CHN_Liangdao1_N,0.002276,-0.409258,-0.052043,-0.038114,0.107405,0.046575,-0.006345,-0.01523,-0.020657,-0.013485,0.021922,0.009292,-0.003122,0.000138,0.015879,0.001326,0.004824,0,-0.008045,-0.006378,0.005116,-0.011005,-0.002588,-0.009278,-0.03341
Fujian_N:CHN_Liangdao2_N,0.006829,-0.407227,-0.052043,-0.040052,0.112944,0.045459,0.00141,-0.004384,-0.005931,-0.008565,0.034589,0.003747,-0.010406,0.001927,0.007736,0.012066,0.00352,0.0048 14,0.005028,-0.00988,0.007237,-0.011005,0.013188,-0.01687,-0.02874
Fujian_N:CHN_Qihe_N,0.005691,-0.372699,-0.057322,-0.01615,0.096018,0.035698,-0.005875,-0.007615,-0.003477,-0.002916,0.013641,-0.004646,-0.000743,-0.01445,-0.002036,-0.004773,0.004433,0.000507,0.008422,0.007128,0.009 982,-0.00371,0.005053,-0.013134,-0.017483
Yellow_River_N:CHN_Shimao_LN,0.018781,-0.451403,0.023004,-0.062662,0.028159,0.0079485,0.006815,0.0012695,-0.00859,0.009567,-0.0937795,-0.008093,0.007582,-0.008257,-0.0110615,-0.0024525,-0.0029985,0.002217,-0.006599,-6.25e-05,0.0090465,0.0097685,0.0071485,0.0025905,0.01706 45
Fujian_N:CHN_Tanshishan_N,0.005691,-0.427538,-0.04186,-0.058463,0.123408,0.055778,-0.00846,-0.01823,-0.020043,-0.024055,0.035076,3e-04,-0.004906,0.003578,-0.000271,0.014585,0.001825,0.001267,0.003017,-0.012256,0.005865,-0.009398,0.002958,-0.007832,-0.03341
China_P:CHN_Tianyuan,-0.027318,-0.260991,-0.075424,0.071383,0.033545,-0.018407,-0.00799,-0.003,0.040291,0.021322,-0.006333,-0.005995,-0.003568,-0.00523,-0.000407,-0.000663,0.008084,0.002407,-0.001131,0.027263,-0.001747,0.008037,-0.008874,-0.010845,0.011256
Yellow_River_N:CHN_Upper_Yellow_River_LN,0.0170734 ,-0.4421616,0.022778,-0.0515508,0.0196344,-0.0039602,0.0089774,0.0057692,-0.0035588,0.0106792,-0.0916846,-0.0111202,0.0117144,-0.0013762,-0.0077904,-0.0013258,-0.0005476,-0.0033952,-0.0051536,0.0010756,0.0009234,0.0163468,0.0057188, 0.0008918,0.025794
CHN_Western_Liao_River_MN,0.0199195,-0.444294,0.0503455,-0.051034,-0.007386,-0.0182675,0.0050525,0.0064615,0.003375,0.011663,-0.0765665,-0.008992,0.0086965,-0.00406,-0.007804,-0.003381,-0.0013695,0.005384,0.002577,0.009317,0.0033065,-0.0043275,-0.0094285,-0.001386,-0.0020955
Shandong_N:CHN_Xiaogao_N,0.005691,-0.437693,0.025644,-0.048773,0.011694,-0.008925,-0.003995,0.003692,-0.000205,0.011481,-0.075835,-0.007493,0.00669,-0.002202,-0.004207,0.004641,0.002477,0.001774,-0.00088,-0.007754,0.014474,-0.002473,-0.002711,0.001687,-0.011256
Shandong_N:CHN_Xiaojingshan_N,0.012141,-0.4383703,0.0250157,-0.052003,0.0229783,-0.0105053,-0.0044653,0.0010767,-0.007363,0.010205,-0.0803823,-0.0115397,0.0122397,-0.0031193,-0.0077813,-0.0079553,-0.00013,0.0016047,0.004106,-0.0042103,0.0137257,-0.0002883,0.0098187,-0.006145,-0.005788
Fujian_N:CHN_Xitoucun_N,0.0085365,-0.431092,-0.037335,-0.058786,0.125562,0.0496425,0.0001175,-0.011538,-0.0223955,-0.013759,0.015995,0.004421,0.003865,-0.001514,0.0068535,0.0021215,-0.000326,0.0041805,0.0024515,-0.0123805,0.018842,-0.017435,0.0094285,-0.0102425,-0.024369
Yellow_River_N:CHN_Yellow_River_LN,0.0166466,-0.4503874,0.0109365,-0.0657709,0.0545101,0.0217886,0.0037894,0.0012404,-0.0097149,0.0040092,-0.0851524,-0.0100032,0.0123945,-0.0059179,-0.0088896,-0.000895,0.001483,-0.0003801,-0.0048392,-0.0075191,0.0172975,0.007543,0.0128639,-0.0006476,0.0073496
Yellow_River_N:CHN_Yellow_River_MN,0.0166182,-0.4441924,0.0136518,-0.0588506,0.0390226,0.0112114,0.0082252,0.0014306,-0.0015546,0.0055034,-0.092269,-0.01106,0.0142414,-0.0075692,-0.0129476,-0.0003978,0.0051112,-0.0020522,-0.0057318,-0.0019008,0.0136762,0.015704,0.0105996,-0.002458,0.0122624
CHN_Yumin_N,0.018212,-0.427538,0.066373,-0.032946,-0.049548,-0.04016,0.00705,0.012461,0.010022,0.021504,-0.063656,-0.006894,0.002825,0.001101,-0.008143,-0.002387,0.004172,0.002534,0.003017,0.019509,-0.012728,0.000989,-0.017131,-0.002651,0.007305
RUS_Sintashta_MLBA,0.125389,0.1158031,0.0572615,0. 0789266,0.011327,0.0284468,0.005678,0.0041909,-0.0174834,-0.0282348,-0.0024254,0.0012473,-0.0030739,-0.0212915,0.0226566,0.0124762,-0.0050555,0.0004086,-6.9e-05,-0.0007423,-0.0059089,0.0020542,0.0026159,0.0066506,-0.0039363
RUS_Shamanka_N,0.0309599,-0.4147422,0.0950344,-0.0157947,-0.0868469,-0.0482203,0.0053815,0.010061,0.0147054,0.0125196,-0.0160603,-0.0018134,0.0035828,-0.0078032,-0.0046552,-0.0032088,-0.0025164,0.0005827,0.0064608,0.0178333,-0.0170449,-0.0059478,-0.0165151,-0.0032051,0.0046943
Eurasia_P:RUS_Ust_Ishim,-0.050082,-0.11577,-0.090886,0.073644,0.027082,-0.018128,-0.00376,-0.004384,0.0452,0.010387,0.006008,-0.001798,0.000149,-0.003991,0.004614,-0.001724,-0.004955,0.004687,-0.005154,0.015382,0.006613,0.008532,-0.007641,-0.014942,0.007784
Taiwan_N:TWN_Gongguan,0.009106,-0.455973,-0.032432,-0.075905,0.142796,0.070559,-0.008695,-0.011999,-0.030065,-0.024602,0.052614,-0.003147,0.008474,-0.003303,0.009908,0.008618,-0.012778,0.006714,0.012821,-0.013256,0.00549,-0.032397,-0.001109,-0.008194,-0.061192
Taiwan_N:TWN_Hanben,0.0155393,-0.4419318,-0.0435985,-0.0634906,0.1387417,0.064642,-0.0045365,-0.0134342,-0.0232624,-0.0208937,0.0412537,0.0034991,-0.002999,-0.0035123,0.0102085,0.0065775,-0.0008786,0.0056239,0.0068097,-0.0128105,0.0079044,-0.0258488,0.0022506,-0.0087176,-0.0486288
RUS_Devils_Gate_Cave_N,0.0162197,-0.4440402,0.0722185,-0.0511148,-0.0373912,-0.0395328,0.0034075,0.0084802,0.0064935,0.019408,-0.048595,-0.004833,-0.0030848,0.0086702,-0.0096025,-0.0133915,-0.0007825,0.0089,0.0174408,0.0100362,0.008828,-0.027729,-0.0174702,-0.00244,-0.0145795
RUS_Baikal_N,0.0430252,-0.343452,0.0849276,0.0036176,-0.0836464,-0.041722,-0.000282,-0.0036,0.0105126,0.0064146,0.003475,-0.0038366,0.0046976,-0.013267,-0.006786,-0.003262,-0.0056584,0.0033192,0.0057068,0.017033,-0.0176192,-0.0064548,-0.0078632,-0.0056874,0.0050056
RUS_Boisman_MN,0.0211091,-0.4479409,0.0741897,-0.0434875,-0.0510025,-0.0405914,0.0098064,0.0122512,0.0104122,0.0256788,-0.0416157,-0.001771,-0.0011488,0.0091707,-0.0088958,-0.0082809,-0.0038997,0.0051713,0.0127068,0.0145636,0.0032444,-0.0328355,-0.0255795,0.0015227,-0.0190509
Nepal_N:NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP,0.012521,-0.410274,-0.011691,-0.031331,0.017542,0.011435,0.00658,0.011999,0.0100 22,0.021139,-0.081194,-0.006444,0.010109,-0.004679,-0.011401,0,0.011213,-0.001267,-0.009302,0.009379,0.004991,0.029306,0.004314,0.003 615,0.031734
MNG_North_N,0.0237403,-0.4314549,0.0890541,-0.0247326,-0.0815536,-0.0521129,0.0134964,0.0145379,0.0179981,0.020098,-0.029346,-0.0013703,0.0013593,-0.0051314,-0.0056033,-0.0039967,0.0038743,0.0006154,0.0038967,0.020331,-0.0196439,-0.0037801,-0.0166207,-0.0061969,0.0076981
MNG_East_N,0.025041,-0.4427705,0.0788185,-0.0347225,-0.074937,-0.056336,0.0172735,0.015461,0.0166685,0.0266065,-0.0353195,-0.0038215,0.001264,0.0030965,-0.008279,-0.006696,0.002347,0.002027,0.004211,0.019009,-0.0150985,-0.006801,-0.0272995,-0.008736,0.0049695
Japan_P:JPN_Jomon,0.011003,-0.3440953,-0.0537398,0.0124893,0.038161,0.0139448,-0.0020758,-0.0015383,0.024577,0.0205622,-0.049718,-0.0068938,0.0096878,-0.0069958,-0.023819,-0.0154467,0.006454,0.0099242,0.0024722,-0.0060655,0.0639705,-0.0456895,0.0091615,0.0112062,-0.0994323
Sakhalin_P:RUS_Sakhalin_HG,0.011382,-0.380824,-0.011314,-0.00646,-0.007386,-0.008367,-0.004935,0.009923,0.019839,0.023508,-0.038161,-0.005245,0.002825,0.007707,-0.044381,-0.007425,0.009779,0.010642,0.01257,-0.001501,0.049288,-0.037838,-0.001849,0.004338,-0.055444
Yemenite_Al_Bayda,0.0387,0.13862,-0.062665,-0.107398,-0.010156,-0.04848,-0.013161,-0.010153,0.054131,-0.005983,0.010961,-0.028799,0.050916,0.004106,0.006379,0.024198,-0.018471,0.007158,0.000838,0.017925,0.009774,0.016 178,-0.007436,0.001125,-0.003752
Yemenite_Al_Jawf,0.049228,0.141412,-0.063073,-0.115554,-0.010694,-0.047342,-0.0094,-0.007154,0.058136,-0.002597,0.012869,-0.031435,0.057309,0.003888,0.0038,0.01959,-0.02047,0.003991,0.003174,0.022136,0.0107,0.014715 ,-0.013064,0.008555,-0.008562
Yemenite_Amran,0.045855,0.135428,-0.061525,-0.101445,-0.01486,-0.042152,-0.008729,-0.007763,0.04501,-0.004256,0.01175,-0.022962,0.04651,0.005259,0.003994,0.017256,-0.014137,0.004253,0.001832,0.015704,0.006925,0.009 521,-0.00633,0.004174,-0.004781
Yemenite_Dhamar,0.035538,0.141159,-0.058537,-0.110574,-0.009574,-0.047225,-0.013735,-0.008025,0.049245,-0.007856,0.013785,-0.026393,0.049273,0.005948,0.003484,0.015248,-0.016211,0.004575,0.000656,0.017036,0.010107,0.011 417,-0.006957,0.004231,-0.00306
Yemenite_Jew,0.051383,0.144785,-0.063248,-0.114066,-0.011827,-0.046694,-0.013496,-0.008868,0.048969,-0.006274,0.011321,-0.026612,0.053985,0.003244,0.003529,0.017161,-0.024549,0.003475,0.006411,0.024958,0.012888,0.015 987,-0.007095,0.004648,-0.006894
Yemenite_Ma'rib,0.044846,0.143799,-0.061244,-0.117056,-0.009232,-0.047913,-0.011045,-0.004569,0.053626,-0.007581,0.014712,-0.027126,0.051437,0.005587,0.000489,0.020154,-0.021383,0.00451,0.002589,0.018309,0.01143,0.01313 2,-0.006729,0.004651,-0.005485
Yemenite_Mahra,0.054256,0.136081,-0.068259,-0.121197,-0.003727,-0.056305,-0.01303,-0.00882,0.06288,-0.002045,0.016798,-0.032571,0.065741,0.005841,0.008053,0.027078,-0.021064,0.002872,-0.001913,0.024831,0.013726,0.016089,-0.008737,0.002785,-0.005229
Balochi,0.068863,0.051876,-0.100628,0.030739,-0.072603,0.031491,0.005582,0.001577,-0.022736,-0.020805,-0.003884,-0.002148,0.003927,-0.008017,0.015958,0.030098,-0.010137,0.002924,0.007269,-0.026513,-0.001071,-0.015209,0.00037,-0.016097,0.013761

Doing this some interesting things emerge :
Island Southeast Asian Austronesian speakers rarely have any Fujian_N, while they have plenty of Taiwan_N. (Indochina_N seems associated with Austroasiatic speakers who brought agriculture to SEA first).
Examples :
Target: Vizayan
Distance: 2.0229% / 0.02022883
79.6 Taiwan_N
12.4 Andaman_P
3.8 Papuan
2.4 Indochina_N
1.4 Balochi
0.4 RUS_Sintashta_MLBA

Target: Murut
Distance: 3.2876% / 0.03287562
75.6 Taiwan_N
23.6 Indochina_N
0.8 Papuan

Target: Malay
Distance: 1.2098% / 0.01209770
47.6 Indochina_N
37.8 Taiwan_N
5.4 Andaman_P
5.0 Balochi
2.0 Heilongjiang_N
1.8 Papuan
0.4 Fujian_N

Target: Luzon
Distance: 1.5305% / 0.01530544
92.8 Taiwan_N
5.8 Andaman_P
0.8 Papuan
0.6 Indochina_N

Target: Indonesian_Java
Distance: 1.6886% / 0.01688639
76.2 Indochina_N
20.6 Taiwan_N
1.8 Balochi
1.4 Papuan

Target: Indonesian_Bali
Distance: 1.7210% / 0.01721027
68.4 Indochina_N
24.6 Taiwan_N
3.4 Balochi
2.8 Papuan
0.8 Andaman_P

Target: Igorot
Distance: 2.5493% / 0.02549250
99.2 Taiwan_N
0.8 Papuan

Target: Hawaiian
Distance: 2.3967% / 0.02396728
87.2 Taiwan_N
5.6 Papuan
4.8 Eurasia_P
1.6 Fujian_N
0.8 Yemenite_Dhamar

Target: Dusun
Distance: 3.4344% / 0.03434402
74.4 Taiwan_N
22.2 Indochina_N
1.6 Andaman_P
1.4 Papuan
0.4 Balochi

Interestingly enough, this is also the case with Hans from China. They are overwhelmingly Yellow_River_N (core area of Han ethnogenesis), but also have notable Taiwan_N and very little Fujian_N.

Target: Han_Zhejiang
Distance: 1.4022% / 0.01402175
82.0 Yellow_River_N
18.0 Taiwan_N

Target: Han_Sichuan
Distance: 1.1237% / 0.01123679
77.8 Yellow_River_N
13.6 Taiwan_N
8.6 Indochina_N

Target: Han_Shanxi
Distance: 1.1660% / 0.01166024
81.2 Yellow_River_N
8.6 Taiwan_N
8.4 Shandong_N
1.8 RUS_Sintashta_MLBA

Target: Han_Shanghai
Distance: 2.6239% / 0.02623907
88.4 Yellow_River_N
10.2 Taiwan_N
1.4 Balochi

Target: Han_Shandong
Distance: 1.0208% / 0.01020753
82.0 Yellow_River_N
11.6 Taiwan_N
4.8 Shandong_N
1.6 Japan_P

Target: Han_Jiangsu
Distance: 1.3404% / 0.01340370
86.4 Yellow_River_N
13.6 Taiwan_N

Target: Han_Hubei
Distance: 1.4266% / 0.01426600
75.4 Yellow_River_N
24.6 Taiwan_N

Target: Han_Henan
Distance: 1.3143% / 0.01314317
77.2 Yellow_River_N
13.8 Shandong_N
8.0 Taiwan_N
0.8 RUS_Sintashta_MLBA
0.2 Balochi

Target: Han_Guangdong
Distance: 2.5838% / 0.02583799
57.8 Yellow_River_N
32.0 Taiwan_N
10.2 Indochina_N

Target: Han_Fujian
Distance: 2.0583% / 0.02058327
69.2 Yellow_River_N
26.6 Taiwan_N
2.6 Fujian_N
1.6 Indochina_N

Target: Han_Chongqing
Distance: 2.0372% / 0.02037211
71.8 Yellow_River_N
13.8 Taiwan_N
9.8 Indochina_N
4.6 Fujian_N

As you can see, even contemporary Fujian has very little Fujian_N. This seems to indicate that Taiwan_N may have been an outpost of a larger population which must have lived further North (Yangtze river?). This population would have mixed in with incoming Hans from the Yellow River and spread South with them, displacing Fujian_N and Indochina_N populations.

Now, what is interesting is that Fujian_N does show up in sizeable amounts (alongside Taiwan_N) in Tai-Kadai speaking populations!
Target: Dong_Guizhou
Distance: 2.7921% / 0.02792090
44.8 Yellow_River_N
20.0 Taiwan_N
19.8 Fujian_N
15.4 Indochina_N

Target: Dong_Hunan
Distance: 2.8814% / 0.02881357
49.0 Yellow_River_N
24.6 Taiwan_N
14.0 Indochina_N
12.4 Fujian_N

Target: Dai
Distance: 3.2025% / 0.03202547
30.8 Indochina_N
27.8 Fujian_N
27.0 Yellow_River_N
14.4 Taiwan_N

Target: Gelao
Distance: 2.8998% / 0.02899804
36.0 Yellow_River_N
29.6 Indochina_N
18.2 Fujian_N
16.2 Taiwan_N

Target: Li
Distance: 3.7371% / 0.03737077
34.6 Taiwan_N
25.2 Fujian_N
24.8 Yellow_River_N
15.4 Indochina_N

Target: Maonan
Distance: 3.4506% / 0.03450643
33.4 Yellow_River_N
32.6 Taiwan_N
21.8 Indochina_N
12.2 Fujian_N

Target: Thai
Distance: 1.6800% / 0.01679960
49.8 Indochina_N
12.6 Yellow_River_N
9.8 Nepal_N
7.4 Fujian_N
6.8 Balochi
6.8 Japan_P
5.0 Taiwan_N
1.8 Andaman_P

Target: Zhuang
Distance: 3.0162% / 0.03016189
35.6 Yellow_River_N
23.8 Taiwan_N
20.4 Fujian_N
20.2 Indochina_N

Interestingly enough, Hmong-Mien speakers as well as Kinhs from Vietnam (Austroasiatic) also have inflated Fujian_N, whereas other Austroasiatic speakers don't.

In light of this, I think Taiwan_Hanben and Taiwan_Gongguan are better proxies for the spread of Austronesian languages for now, whereas the host of Fujian samples probably represent an early off-shoot from the Tai-Kadai branch.

Ebizur
08-31-2020, 03:18 PM
Much agreed. Autosomal data from Liangzhu culture individuals and others from the lower Yangtze like Hemudu is long overdue. I am convinced they will cluster along with the Neolithic Fujian samples and ancient Taiwanese as well.
There is substantial linguistic evidence that Tai-Kadai and Austronesian are related clades, or that they were in very close contact in their early stages. Some argue that Tai-Kadai followed the inland route whereas Austronesians left via Taiwan. Lower Yangtze cultures may provide the missing link.

I tried running East Asian populations through Vahaduo using a selection of ancient (almost exclusively Neolithic) samples. I tried to classify the ancient samples the least arbitrarily possible, I put the Lao and Vietnam neolithic together as "Indochina_N", the Southern East Asian samples from the Melinda Yang studies together as "Fujian_N", the Northern East Asian samples from her study as "Shandong_N", Taiwan_Hanben and Taiwan_Gongguan together as "Taiwan_N", etc... I put the Yellow River valley samples that clustered together into "Yellow_River_N", etc... You can see the whole list below.

Island Southeast Asian Austronesian speakers rarely have any Fujian_N, while they have plenty of Taiwan_N. (Indochina_N seems associated with Austroasiatic speakers who brought agriculture to SEA first).
Examples :
79.6 Taiwan_N
12.4 Andaman_P
3.8 Papuan
2.4 Indochina_N
1.4 Balochi
0.4 RUS_Sintashta_MLBA

Interestingly enough, this is also the case with Hans from China. They are overwhelmingly Yellow_River_N (core area of Han ethnogenesis), but also have notable Taiwan_N and very little Fujian_N.

82.0 Yellow_River_N
18.0 Taiwan_N

As you can see, even contemporary Fujian has very little Fujian_N. This seems to indicate that Taiwan_N may have been an outpost of a larger population which must have lived further North (Yangtze river?). This population would have mixed in with incoming Hans from the Yellow River and spread South with them, displacing Fujian_N and Indochina_N populations.

Now, what is interesting is that Fujian_N does show up in sizeable amounts (alongside Taiwan_N) in Tai-Kadai speaking populations!
44.8 Yellow_River_N
20.0 Taiwan_N
19.8 Fujian_N
15.4 Indochina_N

49.0 Yellow_River_N
24.6 Taiwan_N
14.0 Indochina_N
12.4 Fujian_N

Interestingly enough, Hmong-Mien speakers as well as Kinhs from Vietnam (Austroasiatic) also have inflated Fujian_N, whereas other Austroasiatic speakers don't.

In light of this, I think Taiwan_Hanben and Taiwan_Gongguan are better proxies for the spread of Austronesian languages for now, whereas the host of Fujian samples probably represent an early off-shoot from the Tai-Kadai branch.According to kolgeh, a specimen from the Xitoucun site belongs to O2a1-F573 (a parent clade of O2a1c-JST002611, which currently has a pan-East Asian distribution), and a specimen from the Tanshishan site belongs to O1b1a1a1a-F1252 (a parent clade of O1b1a1a1a1a-M111/M88, which has been observed mainly in Daic people and Vietnamese, and of O1b1a1a1a2-SK1630, which has been observed mainly in Hmongic-speaking people in Hunan). Neither O2a1-F573 nor O1b1a1a1a-F1252 is generally found among present-day speakers of Austronesian languages (although Trejaut et al. 2014 have observed O2a1c-JST002611 in 6/24 = 25% of a sample of Ivatan from the northernmost isles of the Philippines and O1b1a1a1a1a-M111/M88 in 21/56 = 37.5% of a sample of Bunun from Taiwan).

Y chr Haplogroup Assignments:

XJS1309_M4 Xiaojingshan N1b1:F4201 (~N-F2905)
BS Boshan N1b1:F4201 (~N-F2905)
L5696_d Tanshishan O1b1a1a1a:F1252 (~O-F1252)
L5701_d Xitoucun O2a1:F573 (~O-L465) LowCoverage
L7415 Tanshishan O1a2:M50 (~O-M110)
LD1 Liangdao1 O1a (~O-M119)
I3612 Taiwan_Hanben O2a2b2a2b (~O-F706)
I3733 Taiwan_Hanben O1a1a1a1 (~O-F78)
I3736 Taiwan_Hanben O1a1a1a1 (~O-F78)
I3614 Taiwan_Hanben O2a2b2b1 (~O-Y125645)
I3618 Taiwan_Hanben O2a2b2a2b (~O-F706)
I3731 Taiwan_Hanben O1a1a1a1 (~O-F78)
I3734 Taiwan_Hanben O2a2a1a2a2 (~O-Y26395)
I14934 Taiwan_Hanben O1a1a1a1 (~O-F78)
I8080 Taiwan_Hanben O1a1a1a (~O-F140)
I8081 Taiwan_Hanben O1a1a1a (~O-F140)
I13695 Taiwan_Hanben O1a1a1a (~O-F140)

I used published genotype files to make these assignments.
List (https://drive.google.com/file/d/19BjMpajwKjs-voaKC85zCHWJt7afrDMB/view) of positive and negative calls for each sample.

Ryukendo
09-01-2020, 01:58 AM

Indochina_N:VNM_LN,0.0163143,-0.3875937,-0.0568197,-0.0402673,0.1348967,0.0703733,-0.0036033,-0.0036923,-0.0100217,-0.0145787,0.0582973,0.002947,-0.006442,-0.012386,0.0081887,-0.0002653,0.0080403,-0.0089527,0.000838,0.004419,-0.0024957,0.007337,-0.0058747,-0.0076713,0.028181
Indochina_N:VNM_N,0,-0.386917,-0.064865,-0.031008,0.134333,0.06038,0.0036425,-0.010961,-0.0138055,-0.014579,0.0695835,-0.001499,-0.002007,0.001376,0.0169655,-0.0031155,-0.0011085,0.00076,-0.0020115,0.01532,-0.0034935,0.0084085,0.0030195,-0.0063865,0.034009
Indochina_N:LAO_LN_BA,0.005691,-0.40215,-0.083721,-0.034561,0.15049,0.078089,-0.002585,-0.012692,-0.006136,-0.018588,0.089801,0.004346,-0.012785,0.010184,0.003393,-0.005701,-0.002477,0.0019,-0.00088,0.026388,-0.016845,0.02201,-0.011955,0.001325,0.039038
Indochina_P:LAO_Hoabinhian,-0.025041,-0.224432,-0.11917,0.087856,0.022466,-0.001952,-0.003055,0.01223,0.060539,0.018406,0.012829,0.0011 99,-0.000446,0.006055,-0.007872,-0.006364,-0.00352,-0.00076,-0.005531,0.023386,0.006988,0.013107,-0.017131,-0.001325,0.003712
Andaman_P:IND_Great_Andamanese_100BP,-0.018212,-0.235603,-0.128598,0.098838,0.023389,-0.003904,-0.016686,-0.003231,0.059721,0.02041,0.023222,0.004646,-0.0055,0.001239,-0.016151,-0.008884,0.009518,0.001014,-0.004902,0.026888,-0.00549,0.011994,-0.013311,-0.001205,0.000958
Papuan,-0.045985,-0.241087,-0.263758,0.309242,0.206931,-0.509589,-0.001974,0.007015,-0.041273,-0.011955,-0.018902,0.000869,0.001397,-0.00311,0.000163,-0.000318,-0.00219,-0.00185,-0.001081,-0.001526,0.002346,0.001805,0.001232,0.001832,0.001 605
Heilongjiang_N:CHN_Amur_River_EN,0.025041,-0.4595275,0.097674,-0.036822,-0.0809385,-0.060101,0.0200935,0.0271145,0.0140095,0.014579,-0.023059,0.0062945,0.00498,-0.0052295,-0.003868,0.0059665,-0.0020865,0.001267,0.0098045,0.024762,-0.011043,-0.0200315,-0.020028,-0.009158,-0.0088015
Shandong_N:CHN_Bianbian_N,0.015935,-0.443786,0.028284,-0.052003,0.024312,-0.005299,-0.002585,0.000231,-0.00225,0.011663,-0.073887,-0.006744,0.004906,-0.007844,-0.011943,0.001724,0.004303,0.004687,0.002011,0.004 127,0.022086,-0.001731,-0.003451,-0.005181,-0.008981
Shandong_N:CHN_Boshan_N,0.01935,-0.444802,0.032432,-0.062339,0.012618,0.002789,0.009635,0.003,-0.007772,0.008201,-0.074861,-0.009891,0.009812,-0.008533,-0.010315,-0.005701,-0.004042,0.003801,-0.000377,-0.002126,0.013726,0.003215,0.005793,-0.005543,-0.005628
Fujian_N:CHN_Liangdao1_N,0.002276,-0.409258,-0.052043,-0.038114,0.107405,0.046575,-0.006345,-0.01523,-0.020657,-0.013485,0.021922,0.009292,-0.003122,0.000138,0.015879,0.001326,0.004824,0,-0.008045,-0.006378,0.005116,-0.011005,-0.002588,-0.009278,-0.03341
Fujian_N:CHN_Liangdao2_N,0.006829,-0.407227,-0.052043,-0.040052,0.112944,0.045459,0.00141,-0.004384,-0.005931,-0.008565,0.034589,0.003747,-0.010406,0.001927,0.007736,0.012066,0.00352,0.0048 14,0.005028,-0.00988,0.007237,-0.011005,0.013188,-0.01687,-0.02874
Fujian_N:CHN_Qihe_N,0.005691,-0.372699,-0.057322,-0.01615,0.096018,0.035698,-0.005875,-0.007615,-0.003477,-0.002916,0.013641,-0.004646,-0.000743,-0.01445,-0.002036,-0.004773,0.004433,0.000507,0.008422,0.007128,0.009 982,-0.00371,0.005053,-0.013134,-0.017483
Yellow_River_N:CHN_Shimao_LN,0.018781,-0.451403,0.023004,-0.062662,0.028159,0.0079485,0.006815,0.0012695,-0.00859,0.009567,-0.0937795,-0.008093,0.007582,-0.008257,-0.0110615,-0.0024525,-0.0029985,0.002217,-0.006599,-6.25e-05,0.0090465,0.0097685,0.0071485,0.0025905,0.01706 45
Fujian_N:CHN_Tanshishan_N,0.005691,-0.427538,-0.04186,-0.058463,0.123408,0.055778,-0.00846,-0.01823,-0.020043,-0.024055,0.035076,3e-04,-0.004906,0.003578,-0.000271,0.014585,0.001825,0.001267,0.003017,-0.012256,0.005865,-0.009398,0.002958,-0.007832,-0.03341
China_P:CHN_Tianyuan,-0.027318,-0.260991,-0.075424,0.071383,0.033545,-0.018407,-0.00799,-0.003,0.040291,0.021322,-0.006333,-0.005995,-0.003568,-0.00523,-0.000407,-0.000663,0.008084,0.002407,-0.001131,0.027263,-0.001747,0.008037,-0.008874,-0.010845,0.011256
Yellow_River_N:CHN_Upper_Yellow_River_LN,0.0170734 ,-0.4421616,0.022778,-0.0515508,0.0196344,-0.0039602,0.0089774,0.0057692,-0.0035588,0.0106792,-0.0916846,-0.0111202,0.0117144,-0.0013762,-0.0077904,-0.0013258,-0.0005476,-0.0033952,-0.0051536,0.0010756,0.0009234,0.0163468,0.0057188, 0.0008918,0.025794
CHN_Western_Liao_River_MN,0.0199195,-0.444294,0.0503455,-0.051034,-0.007386,-0.0182675,0.0050525,0.0064615,0.003375,0.011663,-0.0765665,-0.008992,0.0086965,-0.00406,-0.007804,-0.003381,-0.0013695,0.005384,0.002577,0.009317,0.0033065,-0.0043275,-0.0094285,-0.001386,-0.0020955
Shandong_N:CHN_Xiaogao_N,0.005691,-0.437693,0.025644,-0.048773,0.011694,-0.008925,-0.003995,0.003692,-0.000205,0.011481,-0.075835,-0.007493,0.00669,-0.002202,-0.004207,0.004641,0.002477,0.001774,-0.00088,-0.007754,0.014474,-0.002473,-0.002711,0.001687,-0.011256
Shandong_N:CHN_Xiaojingshan_N,0.012141,-0.4383703,0.0250157,-0.052003,0.0229783,-0.0105053,-0.0044653,0.0010767,-0.007363,0.010205,-0.0803823,-0.0115397,0.0122397,-0.0031193,-0.0077813,-0.0079553,-0.00013,0.0016047,0.004106,-0.0042103,0.0137257,-0.0002883,0.0098187,-0.006145,-0.005788
Fujian_N:CHN_Xitoucun_N,0.0085365,-0.431092,-0.037335,-0.058786,0.125562,0.0496425,0.0001175,-0.011538,-0.0223955,-0.013759,0.015995,0.004421,0.003865,-0.001514,0.0068535,0.0021215,-0.000326,0.0041805,0.0024515,-0.0123805,0.018842,-0.017435,0.0094285,-0.0102425,-0.024369
Yellow_River_N:CHN_Yellow_River_LN,0.0166466,-0.4503874,0.0109365,-0.0657709,0.0545101,0.0217886,0.0037894,0.0012404,-0.0097149,0.0040092,-0.0851524,-0.0100032,0.0123945,-0.0059179,-0.0088896,-0.000895,0.001483,-0.0003801,-0.0048392,-0.0075191,0.0172975,0.007543,0.0128639,-0.0006476,0.0073496
Yellow_River_N:CHN_Yellow_River_MN,0.0166182,-0.4441924,0.0136518,-0.0588506,0.0390226,0.0112114,0.0082252,0.0014306,-0.0015546,0.0055034,-0.092269,-0.01106,0.0142414,-0.0075692,-0.0129476,-0.0003978,0.0051112,-0.0020522,-0.0057318,-0.0019008,0.0136762,0.015704,0.0105996,-0.002458,0.0122624
CHN_Yumin_N,0.018212,-0.427538,0.066373,-0.032946,-0.049548,-0.04016,0.00705,0.012461,0.010022,0.021504,-0.063656,-0.006894,0.002825,0.001101,-0.008143,-0.002387,0.004172,0.002534,0.003017,0.019509,-0.012728,0.000989,-0.017131,-0.002651,0.007305
RUS_Sintashta_MLBA,0.125389,0.1158031,0.0572615,0. 0789266,0.011327,0.0284468,0.005678,0.0041909,-0.0174834,-0.0282348,-0.0024254,0.0012473,-0.0030739,-0.0212915,0.0226566,0.0124762,-0.0050555,0.0004086,-6.9e-05,-0.0007423,-0.0059089,0.0020542,0.0026159,0.0066506,-0.0039363
RUS_Shamanka_N,0.0309599,-0.4147422,0.0950344,-0.0157947,-0.0868469,-0.0482203,0.0053815,0.010061,0.0147054,0.0125196,-0.0160603,-0.0018134,0.0035828,-0.0078032,-0.0046552,-0.0032088,-0.0025164,0.0005827,0.0064608,0.0178333,-0.0170449,-0.0059478,-0.0165151,-0.0032051,0.0046943
Eurasia_P:RUS_Ust_Ishim,-0.050082,-0.11577,-0.090886,0.073644,0.027082,-0.018128,-0.00376,-0.004384,0.0452,0.010387,0.006008,-0.001798,0.000149,-0.003991,0.004614,-0.001724,-0.004955,0.004687,-0.005154,0.015382,0.006613,0.008532,-0.007641,-0.014942,0.007784
Taiwan_N:TWN_Gongguan,0.009106,-0.455973,-0.032432,-0.075905,0.142796,0.070559,-0.008695,-0.011999,-0.030065,-0.024602,0.052614,-0.003147,0.008474,-0.003303,0.009908,0.008618,-0.012778,0.006714,0.012821,-0.013256,0.00549,-0.032397,-0.001109,-0.008194,-0.061192
Taiwan_N:TWN_Hanben,0.0155393,-0.4419318,-0.0435985,-0.0634906,0.1387417,0.064642,-0.0045365,-0.0134342,-0.0232624,-0.0208937,0.0412537,0.0034991,-0.002999,-0.0035123,0.0102085,0.0065775,-0.0008786,0.0056239,0.0068097,-0.0128105,0.0079044,-0.0258488,0.0022506,-0.0087176,-0.0486288
RUS_Devils_Gate_Cave_N,0.0162197,-0.4440402,0.0722185,-0.0511148,-0.0373912,-0.0395328,0.0034075,0.0084802,0.0064935,0.019408,-0.048595,-0.004833,-0.0030848,0.0086702,-0.0096025,-0.0133915,-0.0007825,0.0089,0.0174408,0.0100362,0.008828,-0.027729,-0.0174702,-0.00244,-0.0145795
RUS_Baikal_N,0.0430252,-0.343452,0.0849276,0.0036176,-0.0836464,-0.041722,-0.000282,-0.0036,0.0105126,0.0064146,0.003475,-0.0038366,0.0046976,-0.013267,-0.006786,-0.003262,-0.0056584,0.0033192,0.0057068,0.017033,-0.0176192,-0.0064548,-0.0078632,-0.0056874,0.0050056
RUS_Boisman_MN,0.0211091,-0.4479409,0.0741897,-0.0434875,-0.0510025,-0.0405914,0.0098064,0.0122512,0.0104122,0.0256788,-0.0416157,-0.001771,-0.0011488,0.0091707,-0.0088958,-0.0082809,-0.0038997,0.0051713,0.0127068,0.0145636,0.0032444,-0.0328355,-0.0255795,0.0015227,-0.0190509
Nepal_N:NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP,0.012521,-0.410274,-0.011691,-0.031331,0.017542,0.011435,0.00658,0.011999,0.0100 22,0.021139,-0.081194,-0.006444,0.010109,-0.004679,-0.011401,0,0.011213,-0.001267,-0.009302,0.009379,0.004991,0.029306,0.004314,0.003 615,0.031734
MNG_North_N,0.0237403,-0.4314549,0.0890541,-0.0247326,-0.0815536,-0.0521129,0.0134964,0.0145379,0.0179981,0.020098,-0.029346,-0.0013703,0.0013593,-0.0051314,-0.0056033,-0.0039967,0.0038743,0.0006154,0.0038967,0.020331,-0.0196439,-0.0037801,-0.0166207,-0.0061969,0.0076981
MNG_East_N,0.025041,-0.4427705,0.0788185,-0.0347225,-0.074937,-0.056336,0.0172735,0.015461,0.0166685,0.0266065,-0.0353195,-0.0038215,0.001264,0.0030965,-0.008279,-0.006696,0.002347,0.002027,0.004211,0.019009,-0.0150985,-0.006801,-0.0272995,-0.008736,0.0049695
Japan_P:JPN_Jomon,0.011003,-0.3440953,-0.0537398,0.0124893,0.038161,0.0139448,-0.0020758,-0.0015383,0.024577,0.0205622,-0.049718,-0.0068938,0.0096878,-0.0069958,-0.023819,-0.0154467,0.006454,0.0099242,0.0024722,-0.0060655,0.0639705,-0.0456895,0.0091615,0.0112062,-0.0994323
Sakhalin_P:RUS_Sakhalin_HG,0.011382,-0.380824,-0.011314,-0.00646,-0.007386,-0.008367,-0.004935,0.009923,0.019839,0.023508,-0.038161,-0.005245,0.002825,0.007707,-0.044381,-0.007425,0.009779,0.010642,0.01257,-0.001501,0.049288,-0.037838,-0.001849,0.004338,-0.055444
Yemenite_Al_Bayda,0.0387,0.13862,-0.062665,-0.107398,-0.010156,-0.04848,-0.013161,-0.010153,0.054131,-0.005983,0.010961,-0.028799,0.050916,0.004106,0.006379,0.024198,-0.018471,0.007158,0.000838,0.017925,0.009774,0.016 178,-0.007436,0.001125,-0.003752
Yemenite_Al_Jawf,0.049228,0.141412,-0.063073,-0.115554,-0.010694,-0.047342,-0.0094,-0.007154,0.058136,-0.002597,0.012869,-0.031435,0.057309,0.003888,0.0038,0.01959,-0.02047,0.003991,0.003174,0.022136,0.0107,0.014715 ,-0.013064,0.008555,-0.008562
Yemenite_Amran,0.045855,0.135428,-0.061525,-0.101445,-0.01486,-0.042152,-0.008729,-0.007763,0.04501,-0.004256,0.01175,-0.022962,0.04651,0.005259,0.003994,0.017256,-0.014137,0.004253,0.001832,0.015704,0.006925,0.009 521,-0.00633,0.004174,-0.004781
Yemenite_Dhamar,0.035538,0.141159,-0.058537,-0.110574,-0.009574,-0.047225,-0.013735,-0.008025,0.049245,-0.007856,0.013785,-0.026393,0.049273,0.005948,0.003484,0.015248,-0.016211,0.004575,0.000656,0.017036,0.010107,0.011 417,-0.006957,0.004231,-0.00306
Yemenite_Jew,0.051383,0.144785,-0.063248,-0.114066,-0.011827,-0.046694,-0.013496,-0.008868,0.048969,-0.006274,0.011321,-0.026612,0.053985,0.003244,0.003529,0.017161,-0.024549,0.003475,0.006411,0.024958,0.012888,0.015 987,-0.007095,0.004648,-0.006894
Yemenite_Ma'rib,0.044846,0.143799,-0.061244,-0.117056,-0.009232,-0.047913,-0.011045,-0.004569,0.053626,-0.007581,0.014712,-0.027126,0.051437,0.005587,0.000489,0.020154,-0.021383,0.00451,0.002589,0.018309,0.01143,0.01313 2,-0.006729,0.004651,-0.005485
Yemenite_Mahra,0.054256,0.136081,-0.068259,-0.121197,-0.003727,-0.056305,-0.01303,-0.00882,0.06288,-0.002045,0.016798,-0.032571,0.065741,0.005841,0.008053,0.027078,-0.021064,0.002872,-0.001913,0.024831,0.013726,0.016089,-0.008737,0.002785,-0.005229
Balochi,0.068863,0.051876,-0.100628,0.030739,-0.072603,0.031491,0.005582,0.001577,-0.022736,-0.020805,-0.003884,-0.002148,0.003927,-0.008017,0.015958,0.030098,-0.010137,0.002924,0.007269,-0.026513,-0.001071,-0.015209,0.00037,-0.016097,0.013761

Examples :
79.6 Taiwan_N
12.4 Andaman_P
3.8 Papuan
2.4 Indochina_N
1.4 Balochi
0.4 RUS_Sintashta_MLBA

75.6 Taiwan_N
23.6 Indochina_N
0.8 Papuan

47.6 Indochina_N
37.8 Taiwan_N
5.4 Andaman_P
5.0 Balochi
2.0 Heilongjiang_N
1.8 Papuan
0.4 Fujian_N

92.8 Taiwan_N
5.8 Andaman_P
0.8 Papuan
0.6 Indochina_N

76.2 Indochina_N
20.6 Taiwan_N
1.8 Balochi
1.4 Papuan

68.4 Indochina_N
24.6 Taiwan_N
3.4 Balochi
2.8 Papuan
0.8 Andaman_P

99.2 Taiwan_N
0.8 Papuan

87.2 Taiwan_N
5.6 Papuan
4.8 Eurasia_P
1.6 Fujian_N
0.8 Yemenite_Dhamar

74.4 Taiwan_N
22.2 Indochina_N
1.6 Andaman_P
1.4 Papuan
0.4 Balochi

82.0 Yellow_River_N
18.0 Taiwan_N

77.8 Yellow_River_N
13.6 Taiwan_N
8.6 Indochina_N

81.2 Yellow_River_N
8.6 Taiwan_N
8.4 Shandong_N
1.8 RUS_Sintashta_MLBA

88.4 Yellow_River_N
10.2 Taiwan_N
1.4 Balochi

82.0 Yellow_River_N
11.6 Taiwan_N
4.8 Shandong_N
1.6 Japan_P

86.4 Yellow_River_N
13.6 Taiwan_N

75.4 Yellow_River_N
24.6 Taiwan_N

77.2 Yellow_River_N
13.8 Shandong_N
8.0 Taiwan_N
0.8 RUS_Sintashta_MLBA
0.2 Balochi

57.8 Yellow_River_N
32.0 Taiwan_N
10.2 Indochina_N

69.2 Yellow_River_N
26.6 Taiwan_N
2.6 Fujian_N
1.6 Indochina_N

71.8 Yellow_River_N
13.8 Taiwan_N
9.8 Indochina_N
4.6 Fujian_N

44.8 Yellow_River_N
20.0 Taiwan_N
19.8 Fujian_N
15.4 Indochina_N

49.0 Yellow_River_N
24.6 Taiwan_N
14.0 Indochina_N
12.4 Fujian_N

30.8 Indochina_N
27.8 Fujian_N
27.0 Yellow_River_N
14.4 Taiwan_N

36.0 Yellow_River_N
29.6 Indochina_N
18.2 Fujian_N
16.2 Taiwan_N

34.6 Taiwan_N
25.2 Fujian_N
24.8 Yellow_River_N
15.4 Indochina_N

33.4 Yellow_River_N
32.6 Taiwan_N
21.8 Indochina_N
12.2 Fujian_N

49.8 Indochina_N
12.6 Yellow_River_N
9.8 Nepal_N
7.4 Fujian_N
6.8 Balochi
6.8 Japan_P
5.0 Taiwan_N
1.8 Andaman_P

35.6 Yellow_River_N
23.8 Taiwan_N
20.4 Fujian_N
20.2 Indochina_N

In light of this, I think Taiwan_Hanben and Taiwan_Gongguan are better proxies for the spread of Austronesian languages for now, whereas the host of Fujian samples probably represent an early off-shoot from the Tai-Kadai branch.

Amazing work Loxias.

BalkanKiwi
09-01-2020, 04:10 AM

Examples :
79.6 Taiwan_N
12.4 Andaman_P
3.8 Papuan
2.4 Indochina_N
1.4 Balochi
0.4 RUS_Sintashta_MLBA

75.6 Taiwan_N
23.6 Indochina_N
0.8 Papuan

47.6 Indochina_N
37.8 Taiwan_N
5.4 Andaman_P
5.0 Balochi
2.0 Heilongjiang_N
1.8 Papuan
0.4 Fujian_N

92.8 Taiwan_N
5.8 Andaman_P
0.8 Papuan
0.6 Indochina_N

76.2 Indochina_N
20.6 Taiwan_N
1.8 Balochi
1.4 Papuan

68.4 Indochina_N
24.6 Taiwan_N
3.4 Balochi
2.8 Papuan
0.8 Andaman_P

99.2 Taiwan_N
0.8 Papuan

87.2 Taiwan_N
5.6 Papuan
4.8 Eurasia_P
1.6 Fujian_N
0.8 Yemenite_Dhamar

74.4 Taiwan_N
22.2 Indochina_N
1.6 Andaman_P
1.4 Papuan
0.4 Balochi

82.0 Yellow_River_N
18.0 Taiwan_N

77.8 Yellow_River_N
13.6 Taiwan_N
8.6 Indochina_N

81.2 Yellow_River_N
8.6 Taiwan_N
8.4 Shandong_N
1.8 RUS_Sintashta_MLBA

88.4 Yellow_River_N
10.2 Taiwan_N
1.4 Balochi

82.0 Yellow_River_N
11.6 Taiwan_N
4.8 Shandong_N
1.6 Japan_P

86.4 Yellow_River_N
13.6 Taiwan_N

75.4 Yellow_River_N
24.6 Taiwan_N

77.2 Yellow_River_N
13.8 Shandong_N
8.0 Taiwan_N
0.8 RUS_Sintashta_MLBA
0.2 Balochi

57.8 Yellow_River_N
32.0 Taiwan_N
10.2 Indochina_N

69.2 Yellow_River_N
26.6 Taiwan_N
2.6 Fujian_N
1.6 Indochina_N

71.8 Yellow_River_N
13.8 Taiwan_N
9.8 Indochina_N
4.6 Fujian_N

44.8 Yellow_River_N
20.0 Taiwan_N
19.8 Fujian_N
15.4 Indochina_N

49.0 Yellow_River_N
24.6 Taiwan_N
14.0 Indochina_N
12.4 Fujian_N

30.8 Indochina_N
27.8 Fujian_N
27.0 Yellow_River_N
14.4 Taiwan_N

36.0 Yellow_River_N
29.6 Indochina_N
18.2 Fujian_N
16.2 Taiwan_N

34.6 Taiwan_N
25.2 Fujian_N
24.8 Yellow_River_N
15.4 Indochina_N

33.4 Yellow_River_N
32.6 Taiwan_N
21.8 Indochina_N
12.2 Fujian_N

49.8 Indochina_N
12.6 Yellow_River_N
9.8 Nepal_N
7.4 Fujian_N
6.8 Balochi
6.8 Japan_P
5.0 Taiwan_N
1.8 Andaman_P

35.6 Yellow_River_N
23.8 Taiwan_N
20.4 Fujian_N
20.2 Indochina_N

I took your sample list and did a run using Maori, knowing that the Maori sample has a large amount of European ancestry. For this reason, Hawaiian is likely a better Polynesian population to use.

Target: Maori:S_Maori-1
Distance: 2.7934% / 0.02793414
45.0 RUS_Sintashta_MLBA
25.6 Taiwan_N
9.4 Fujian_N
9.2 Papuan
7.0 Yemenite_Dhamar
3.8 Eurasia_P

loxias
09-01-2020, 06:35 AM
Very interesting.
You should try it again by adding British averages to the source list and getting rid of Sintashta and Yemenite samples. I had added those mainly because Northern China and Southeast Asia respectively. Let’s see if getting rid of them impacts that high Fujian score or not.

BalkanKiwi
09-01-2020, 06:51 AM
Very interesting.
You should try it again by adding British averages to the source list and getting rid of Sintashta and Yemenite samples. I had added those mainly because Northern China and Southeast Asia respectively. Let’s see if getting rid of them impacts that high Fujian score or not.

Here we go. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I haven't done as much Ancient modelling as Modern, so let me know there's a better British sample to use. I wasn't expecting Fujian to disappear completely.

Distance: 2.0572% / 0.02057220
48.2 England_MBA
33.8 Taiwan_N
9.2 Eurasia_P
8.8 Papuan

loxias
09-01-2020, 06:57 AM
Honestly I would have used contemporary British Isles samples (Wales, England, Cornwall, Irish...) considering those populations already existed when West Eurasian admixture in Maori took place.
That said, England_MBA already did quite a number on that earlier Fujian_N result, the distance has dropped. Things look a bit more expected.

BalkanKiwi
09-01-2020, 07:05 AM
Honestly I would have used contemporary British Isles samples (Wales, England, Cornwall, Irish...) considering those populations already existed when West Eurasian admixture in Maori took place.
That said, England_MBA already did quite a number on that earlier Fujian_N result, the distance has dropped. Things look a bit more expected.

Fair point. Just for the sake of comparison. Fujian makes a return (except when using Irish only).

Including Cornwall only:

Distance: 2.2427% / 0.02242729
47.6 English_Cornwall
28.0 Taiwan_N
8.8 Eurasia_P
8.8 Papuan
6.8 Fujian_N

Including Scottish only:

Distance: 2.0051% / 0.02005062
48.0 Scottish
29.8 Taiwan_N
9.2 Papuan
8.4 Eurasia_P
3.6 Fujian_N
1.0 Balochi

Including Irish only:

Distance: 2.3178% / 0.02317850
46.8 Irish
33.0 Taiwan_N
11.2 Eurasia_P
8.8 Papuan
0.2 Shandong_N

Including Cornwall, Irish and Scottish:

Distance: 1.9855% / 0.01985533
35.0 Scottish
29.6 Taiwan_N
9.0 Eurasia_P
9.0 Papuan
8.2 English_Cornwall
4.8 Irish
4.0 Fujian_N
0.4 Balochi

loxias
09-01-2020, 07:22 AM
Fair point. Just for the sake of comparison. Fujian makes a return (except when using Irish only).

Including Cornwall only:

Distance: 2.2427% / 0.02242729
47.6 English_Cornwall
28.0 Taiwan_N
8.8 Eurasia_P
8.8 Papuan
6.8 Fujian_N

Including Scottish only:

Distance: 2.0051% / 0.02005062
48.0 Scottish
29.8 Taiwan_N
9.2 Papuan
8.4 Eurasia_P
3.6 Fujian_N
1.0 Balochi

Including Irish only:

Distance: 2.3178% / 0.02317850
46.8 Irish
33.0 Taiwan_N
11.2 Eurasia_P
8.8 Papuan
0.2 Shandong_N

Including Cornwall, Irish and Scottish:

Distance: 1.9855% / 0.01985533
35.0 Scottish
29.6 Taiwan_N
9.0 Eurasia_P
9.0 Papuan
8.2 English_Cornwall
4.8 Irish
4.0 Fujian_N
0.4 Balochi

Very interesting, the Fujian crops back up every now and then. I wonder what it is due. Which island did Maoris come from before getting to Aotearoa?

Norfern-Ostrobothnian
09-01-2020, 07:24 AM
Assuming there's a 50% European component, this is what I got:
Distance to: Maori_no_European
0.06897340 Bajo
0.08520549 Batak
0.09398309 Agta
0.09446667 Aeta
0.12494076 Hawaiian
0.12942330 Vizayan
0.14511068 Malay
0.15073579 Lebbo
0.15860343 Thai
0.15946360 Indonesian_Bali
0.16010415 Luzon
0.16645692 Cambodian
0.16799611 Jehai
0.17023834 Dusun
0.17407787 Indonesian_Java
0.17483754 Murut
0.17515700 Atayal
0.17918643 Kinh_Vietnam
0.18094942 Ami
0.18149720 Htin_Mal
0.18246642 Igorot
0.18251253 Mlabri
0.18278165 Dai
0.18620492 Li
0.18670534 Gelao

As opposed to the actual Maori sample showing affinity to Uzbeks.

Maori_no_European,-0.038132,-0.365772,-0.083383,0.016265,0.14185,-0.047401,-0.00684,-0.008868,-0.035886,-0.030161,0.024452,0.002147,0.00603,-0.003165,0.00982,0.007217,-0.001001,0.010148,0.005746,-0.009206,0.010499,-0.014684,-0.007478,-0.018616,-0.044256

Target: Maori_no_European
Distance: 2.4619% / 0.02461912
60.0 TWN_Gongguan
23.2 VUT_1300BP_all
7.0 CHN_Liangdao1_N
3.4 VUT_2350BP
2.6 BWA_Taukome_1100BP
2.2 KEN_Kakapel_900BP
0.8 GEO_CHG
0.4 England_Mesolithic
0.4 ZAF_2100BP

With Papuan
Target: Maori_no_European
Distance: 2.2844% / 0.02284357
53.2 TWN_Gongguan
19.4 Papuan
12.4 CHN_Liangdao1_N
6.8 TON_2500BP
3.0 KEN_Kakapel_900BP
2.2 BWA_Taukome_1100BP
1.4 IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N
0.8 England_Mesolithic
0.6 ZAF_2000BP
0.2 MYS_Historical

BalkanKiwi
09-01-2020, 07:42 AM
Very interesting, the Fujian crops back up every now and then. I wonder what it is due. Which island did Maoris come from before getting to Aotearoa?

More like islands, as they migrated through a number of islands to get to New Zealand. Here's a map of the general route:

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-725b0ae4e925605c15428d24a6e75f59

loxias
09-01-2020, 07:46 AM
Not surprised to see the "Bajo" (Sama-Bajau) sample come out on top as they have sizeable Papuan-like admixture, although I don't think the Papuan admixture in Maori was picked up the Sulu archipelago or anywhere West of the Wallace line for that matter.

Liangdao is the closest site (geographically) to Taiwan out of all the Fujian samples. Perhaps it is connected to Austronesians after all? I think I will try Vahaduo runs soon, I want to see what happens when I exclude Qihe from the Fujian group as well, as it is a bit of an outlier.

BalkanKiwi
09-01-2020, 09:20 AM
Not surprised to see the "Bajo" (Sama-Bajau) sample come out on top as they have sizeable Papuan-like admixture, although I don't think the Papuan admixture in Maori was picked up the Sulu archipelago or anywhere West of the Wallace line for that matter.

Liangdao is the closest site (geographically) to Taiwan out of all the Fujian samples. Perhaps it is connected to Austronesians after all? I think I will try Vahaduo runs soon, I want to see what happens when I exclude Qihe from the Fujian group as well, as it is a bit of an outlier.

I'm not surprised by the Bajo and those results, as when I model myself, it and Batak are normally the best fitting Indonesian populations.

BalkanKiwi
09-20-2020, 05:37 AM

I just came across this recent article which reminded me of this discussion, so I thought I'd share it:

Ancient DNA is revealing the genetic landscape of people who first settled East Asia

https://theconversation.com/ancient-dna-is-revealing-the-genetic-landscape-of-people-who-first-settled-east-asia-139458