PDA

View Full Version : U4a2a - Greek from Peloponnese

Markos
07-20-2020, 05:29 PM
I'm completely new to haplogroups in general. I haven't done any subclade test or anything of the sort but I'm hoping I can get at least some preliminary information on my mtDNA. The maternal side of my family has its roots in the Peloponnese, Greece.

Is this mtDNA commonly found there?

This is the information I know, from my mother's results on 23andMe:

Your maternal line stems from a branch of U called U4a. Members of U4a trace their maternal lines back to a woman who likely lived approximately 15,000 years ago in the region surrounding the Baltic Sea. Today her descendants are most common among the people of the Volga River and Ural Mountains of Russia, such as the Chuvash, Kets and Mari. It is also common among the Baltic and Finnish people of northern Europe who speak languages related to the Finno-Ugric tongues of the Volga-Ural region in western Russia. The Finno-Ugric speakers surrounding the Baltic Sea and the northwestern Siberian groups both probably originated in the same spot, just north of the Black Sea.

Markos
07-20-2020, 06:27 PM
U4 has been found in ancient DNA, and it is relatively rare in modern populations, although it is found in substantial ratios in certain indigenous populations of Northern Asia and Northern Europe, being associated with the remnants of ancient European hunting-gatherers preserved in the indigenous populations of Siberia. U4 is found in the Nganasan people of the Taymyr Peninsula, in the Mansi (16.3%) an endangered people, and in the Ket people (28.9%) of the Yenisei River. It is found in Europe with highest concentrations in Scandinavia and the Baltic states and is found in the Sami population of the Scandinavian peninsula (although, U5b has a higher representation). U4 is also preserved in the Kalash people (current population size 3,700) a unique tribe among the Indo-Aryan peoples of Pakistan where U4 (subclade U4a1) attains its highest frequency of 34%

Sounds like a far cry from Greece! Does anyone have any historical explanation or theory to how it might've arrived there?

Kristiina
07-20-2020, 06:46 PM
There seems to be U4a2a in Serbia, as among Slavs in general: http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/sequences_by_group/u4a2_genbank_sequences.htm

The oldest U4a2a samples recorded by me - that are indeed very recent - are these:
Early Middle Age Bavaria Altenerding-Klettham AED1108 480 AD U4a2a, Vikings Gotland_Frojel-02498 Frojel Gotland Sweden VK439 900-1050 AD U4a2a, Vikings Estonia_Salme II-G Salme Saaremaa Estonia VK486 8th AD U4a2a

The oldest U4a2a samples will probably be found in the Ural area and Northwest Russia.

dosas
07-20-2020, 06:50 PM
The thing with haplogroups is that you need to test properly to discover your terminal clade, otherwise you're looking for needles in a haystack. Even then, your closest match can be with a TMRCA of thousands of years before, and as such not very helpful in providing recent migratory info.

Furthermore, in the case of Y-DNA, it helps greatly if you also manage to adhere to the rule of 3, so you need to be able to also fully test a relative of first degree (brother, father, or paternal cousin) as well as distant cousin with common paternal ancestry.

It's an arduous and expensive process but can be greatly rewarding.

Markos
07-20-2020, 07:09 PM
The thing with haplogroups is that you need to test properly to discover your terminal clade, otherwise you're looking for needles in a haystack. Even then, your closest match can be with a TMRCA of thousands of years before, and as such not very helpful in providing recent migratory info.

Furthermore, in the case of Y-DNA, it helps greatly if you also manage to adhere to the rule of 3, so you need to be able to also fully test a relative of first degree (brother, father, or paternal cousin) as well as distant cousin with common paternal ancestry.

It's an arduous and expensive process but can be greatly rewarding.

It seems like there is a greater focus on Y-DNA instead of mtDNA. It might be a false observation on my part but if it's not, why is this the case?

Markos
07-20-2020, 07:24 PM
There seems to be U4a2a in Serbia, as among Slavs in general: http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/sequences_by_group/u4a2_genbank_sequences.htm

The oldest U4a2a samples recorded by me - that are indeed very recent - are these:
Early Middle Age Bavaria Altenerding-Klettham AED1108 480 AD U4a2a, Vikings Gotland_Frojel-02498 Frojel Gotland Sweden VK439 900-1050 AD U4a2a, Vikings Estonia_Salme II-G Salme Saaremaa Estonia VK486 8th AD U4a2a

The oldest U4a2a samples will probably be found in the Ural area and Northwest Russia.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing! I'd be very interested to see if you're able to find another Greek sample.