PDA

View Full Version : Australoid results

mirinda
07-24-2020, 07:08 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to Anthrogenica and DNA testing in general so please bear with me :-}

I'm looking for information on Aboriginal heritage DNA testing.

My mother was adopted from the Gippsland region and when she did a regular DNA test she came up as 100% European. We were surprised because she has an olive complexion but thought nothing of it.

But then we ran her DNA data through GEDmatch and discovered she has a significant amount of West Asian, Australoid and African.

We also received her adoption records and they're very minimal and her mother can't be found. Her mother wasn't baptised, confirmed and doesn't seem to exist on paper!

Because of the GEDmatch results we are wondering if my mother has Aboriginal ancestry.

Does anyone have any advice on tests I can run to determine Aboriginal heritage?

I would also be interested to test her % of Denisovan DNA.

I will post in her exact percentages when GEDmatch is up and running again.

:)

Gentleman
07-24-2020, 10:05 AM
Interesting:) 100% Euro is a surprise. Many "completely European" folks don't quite come in at 100%. Unassigned/trace/noise often pushes it down to high 90s, if nothing else. Which commercial test did she get 100% on, if I may ask?

If whichever one she tested with provided mtDNA haplogroup it's worth looking closely at - if you think it's your mother's mother that may've been (significantly) Aboriginal there's good chance it would show as very special mtDNA. Further back you go more likely that Aboriginal was from mother's side, especially right at the very beginning (those lonely convicts pretty much ensured unmixed eastern Australian Australoid DNA hard to come by).

mirinda
07-24-2020, 12:58 PM
Thank you for replying!

We tested with MyHeritage.

They don't do mtDNA Haplogroups so I am trying to figure out where to do that.

On GedMatch results she consistently scores around 1/4 mix of Australoid, South Asian, West Asian, African, Pygmy, Melanesian, etc, making up a whole. It's a very colourful quarter +! On every calculator it's a bit different but always Asian/Indian/African/Melanesian results.

I'm totally confused :)

Michalis Moriopoulos
07-24-2020, 01:34 PM
My advice is to send the raw data to Davidski at Eurogenes so you can get G25 coordinates. You can find out a lot more from that than what Gedmatch can tell you.

Riverman
07-24-2020, 01:49 PM
MyHeritage has a nice data base, a good site with nice tools, but their ancestry analysis is not the best on the market in my opinion, not even for fully European people:
https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?21171-MyHeritage-and-inconsistent-Ancestry-Assignments-My-Impression

G25 is the way to go, it has Australian and Papuan samples to compare with straightforward. If you like to do another commercial test too, I would check for 23andme first, since they use Melanesian as a category and their segment assignment is superior, and AncestryDNA or FTDNA as a possible second.

BalkanKiwi
07-25-2020, 12:34 AM
If you have a small amount of Aboriginal ancestry, it probably wont show up on MyHeritage. Ancestry may do a better job of picking up small amounts (it does so for Polynesians). As mentioned, getting your G25 coordinates will allow you to have a better chance of picking up small amounts of Aboriginal/Australian.

dsm
07-25-2020, 05:42 AM
My advice is to send the raw data to Davidski at Eurogenes so you can get G25 coordinates. You can find out a lot more from that than what Gedmatch can tell you.

This is good advice. What I would like to know is which gedmatch admixture tool the original poster tried ?.

I personally am interested in what the poster comes up with. Among my children/grandchildren plus nieces and nephews are Papuan, Cambodian, Philippine and Maori. As best I can determine, some Papuan highlanders bear the closest and strongest, Denisovan matches. IIRC up to 10%. One grand niece bears a strikingly similar appearance to some similarly aged (early teens) Denisovan reconstructions.

Davidski should be able to do the G25 analysis as suggested. That is really helpful. He did one for a female Uighur whose DNA I obtained on a recent visit to Xinjiang (amazing what that told us).

Good luck.

Riverman
07-25-2020, 12:12 PM
Davidski should be able to do the G25 analysis as suggested. That is really helpful. He did one for a female Uighur whose DNA I obtained on a recent visit to Xinjiang (amazing what that told us).

Sounds interesting. Can you share, or is it private?

dsm
07-26-2020, 05:41 AM
Davidski posts at Anthrogenica as Generalissimo. No secret. Just message him with a link to this thread and say some posters here recommended contacting him.

D