PDA

View Full Version : My Heritage Results (Greek-Ukranian-Russian)

Joanna_1998
08-14-2020, 08:27 AM
https://scontent.fath5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/100968158_901347063671239_4017968027399094272_o.jp g?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=m9mQsRDI6N4AX9HGB8a&_nc_ht=scontent.fath5-1.fna&oh=b4c9b554a012246ba7de424d07bbc410&oe=5F5C5CA3

Riverman
08-14-2020, 08:58 AM
What are your ancestral percentages? Are you more than 50 percent Greek?
Myheritage isn't good with more complex mixture imho. 23andme does a better job.

Joanna_1998
08-14-2020, 09:00 AM
What are your ancestral percentages? Are you more than 50 percent Greek?
Myheritage isn't good with more complex mixture imho. 23andme does a better job.

Yeah! i'd really have done all the tests that exist but since we're really not comfortable economically to do that, i'll have to wait about that sadly.^^ and what do you mean by "ancestral percentages"? what are you referring to?

Riverman
08-14-2020, 09:15 AM
Yeah! i'd really have done all the tests that exist but since we're really not comfortable economically to do that, i'll have to wait about that sadly.^^ and what do you mean by "ancestral percentages"? what are you referring to?

The percentages of Greek-Ukranian-Russian respectively. Like are you hall Greek or more?

Joanna_1998
08-14-2020, 09:19 AM
The percentages of Greek-Ukranian-Russian respectively. Like are you hall Greek or more?

As far as i know, my dad's Greek and my mom's Ukranian and Russian (one parent is Ukranian and one is Russian.) but we know nothing further than that, thus the reason why i decided to do a DNA test to check if there's more than just that! :P

Riverman
08-14-2020, 09:30 AM
Results seem to fit, but probably the Russian ancestry is more Northern Russian (?), because of the Finnish.

Joanna_1998
08-14-2020, 10:35 AM
Results seem to fit, but probably the Russian ancestry is more Northern Russian (?), because of the Finnish.

Funny that you mentioned because my mom and grandparents are literally at the southwest part of Russia (google: Novopokrovskaya, Russia) and if its actually legit, then these people must have travelled a lot to come to where they are right now.

Coldmountains
08-14-2020, 10:41 AM
Funny that you mentioned because my mom and grandparents are literally at the southwest part of Russia (google: Novopokrovskaya, Russia) and if its actually legit, then these people must have travelled a lot to come to where they are right now.

Modern day Russians living in steppe areas are recent settlers from Central Russia and Ukraine. They dont really represent a distinct/unique ethno-genetic cluster.

Myheritage is not very accurate/useful for Slavs and probably confusing some of your mixed north Slavic+Greek ancestry as balkan ancestry.

Joanna_1998
08-14-2020, 10:49 AM
Modern day Russians living in steppe areas are recent settlers from Central Russia and Ukraine. They dont really represent a distinct/unique ethno-genetic cluster.

Myheritage is not very accurate/useful for Slavs and probably confusing some of your mixed north Slavic+Greek ancestry as balkan ancestry.
in conclusion: myheritage is just all over the place and needs a lot of evolving to do :dance:
but what does "steppe" mean? can you perhaps elaborate on that?
yeah, the "balkan" part must be due to my dad being from the north-western part of Greece (more "indegenous" Greek areas) alongside with central-west part of Greece in which they came from and mixed with the more northern part people and when i did the whole "gedmatch" thing, i found countries that had 0 connection with the matches i've got on myheritage (example: almost nothing from the "balkan" areas whereas in gedmatch, it showed only balkan areas such as Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia etc.)

Alain
08-14-2020, 11:14 AM
in conclusion: myheritage is just all over the place and needs a lot of evolving to do :dance:
but what does "steppe" mean? can you perhaps elaborate on that?
yeah, the "balkan" part must be due to my dad being from the north-western part of Greece (more "indegenous" Greek areas) alongside with central-west part of Greece in which they came from and mixed with the more northern part people and when i did the whole "gedmatch" thing, i found countries that had 0 connection with the matches i've got on myheritage (example: almost nothing from the "balkan" areas whereas in gedmatch, it showed only balkan areas such as Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia etc.)

Gedmatch is good and better than Myheritage, but what I can recommend is G25 Calculator and here you can read something about steppe and later if you are interested, expand your knowledge. "Steppe" is versatile, historical, biological, genetic

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_Steppe&ved=2ahUKEwi12sGbx5rrAhWPzaQKHf-LDD8QFjAQegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3D3Io_w57ruMibrILhs-t4

Joanna_1998
08-14-2020, 11:17 AM
Gedmatch is good and better than Myheritage, but what I can recommend is G25 Calculator and here you can read something about steppe and later if you are interested, expand your knowledge. "Steppe" is versatile, historical, biological, genetic

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_Steppe&ved=2ahUKEwi12sGbx5rrAhWPzaQKHf-LDD8QFjAQegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3D3Io_w57ruMibrILhs-t4

I've checked this out but i don't remember GedMatch having one, where do i look?

EDIT: if it's for pay, i can't give any money.

Alain
08-14-2020, 11:44 AM
I've checked this out but i don't remember GedMatch having one, where do i look?

EDIT: if it's for pay, i can't give any money.

Gedmatch is free and take your time to look at it, Admixture Calculator and much more. G25 Is available for free from Mr. Davidski for about 12 euros, which is really not expensive with a very good analysis from Neolthic to today to better determine your parentage

Joanna_1998
08-14-2020, 04:49 PM
Gedmatch is free and take your time to look at it, Admixture Calculator and much more. G25 Is available for free from Mr. Davidski for about 12 euros, which is really not expensive with a very good analysis from Neolthic to today to better determine your parentage

Are there any threads on this forum about GedMatch because i looked for them and i didn't find any specific ones.

passenger
08-14-2020, 05:00 PM
Are there any threads on this forum about GedMatch because i looked for them and i didn't find any specific ones.

There are many, many threads related to GEDmatch on Anthrogenica, but they're not organized under a specific sub-forum. You can find a bunch under "Autosomal" in the Human Population Genetics section, or under "Open-Source Projects" and "Other" in the "Commercial Testing" forum of Human Personal & Genealogical Genetics, among other sections. I'd suggest running searches and advanced searches using key words.

What exactly are you looking for?

Joanna_1998
08-14-2020, 05:13 PM
There are many, many threads related to GEDmatch on Anthrogenica, but they're not organized under a specific sub-forum. You can find a bunch under "Autosomal" in the Human Population Genetics section, or under "Open-Source Projects" and "Other" in the "Commercial Testing" forum of Human Personal & Genealogical Genetics, among other sections. I'd suggest running searches and advanced searches using key words.

What exactly are you looking for?

Ah nothing specific, just threads for people to post stuff related to their GEDMATCH but what you said is enough information, so thank you very much either way :) much much appreciated!

Alain
08-14-2020, 06:06 PM
Ah nothing specific, just threads for people to post stuff related to their GEDMATCH but what you said is enough information, so thank you very much either way :) much much appreciated!

https://eurogenes.blogspot.com/2019/07/getting-most-out-of-global25_12.html?m=1

I can recommend that to you and many at Anthrogenica for $ 12 it is really top and unique and get scaled and unscaled data so you can try a lot with G25 calculators