PDA

View Full Version : Samples stuck at US customs

Ibericus
08-15-2020, 07:27 AM
I sent my samples to the lab over 5 weeks ago and they are nowhere to be found. I know they departed Spain but I can't track them after that so I suspect they are stuck at a customs facility.

I sent them as a registered letter labelled as "documents" valued at 50eur. Maybe they figured those weren't really documents... Have you had this problem before? I'm considering asking for another kit and using a courier such as DHL this time.

spruithean
08-15-2020, 11:34 AM
I sent my samples to the lab over 5 weeks ago and they are nowhere to be found. I know they departed Spain but I can't track them after that so I suspect they are stuck at a customs facility.

I sent them as a registered letter labelled as "documents" valued at 50eur. Maybe they figured those weren't really documents... Have you had this problem before? I'm considering asking for another kit and using a courier such as DHL this time.

This situation may have more to do with current events unfolding there right now.

Saetro
08-23-2020, 08:04 PM
When customs was a problem in my country, I found useful advice on what to label a kit at FTDNA.
I followed their advice and it went through.
Don't know about the big labs now, but they may have something that might help you.

And yes, especially now, going against what customs would like might result in not just delay, but destruction.
But as a previous post had it, current events have produced unexpected delays as well as caution.
If all else fails, wait to send until your country has a low level of infection as recognized by USA.
Good luck.

Ibericus
08-23-2020, 08:50 PM
When customs was a problem in my country, I found useful advice on what to label a kit at FTDNA.
I followed their advice and it went through.
Don't know about the big labs now, but they may have something that might help you.

And yes, especially now, going against what customs would like might result in not just delay, but destruction.
But as a previous post had it, current events have produced unexpected delays as well as caution.
If all else fails, wait to send until your country has a low level of infection as recognized by USA.
Good luck.

After 5 weeks and 5 days I finally got the email saying my samples had arrived in the lab. These samples were for Nebula and (since their lab is in Hong Kong) I think these 40 days were the total transit time EU-USA-HK, which is not bad at all considering the current situation. So registered letters containing "documents" seem to work just fine after all.

Saetro
08-26-2020, 10:13 PM
After 5 weeks and 5 days I finally got the email saying my samples had arrived in the lab. These samples were for Nebula and (since their lab is in Hong Kong) I think these 40 days were the total transit time EU-USA-HK, which is not bad at all considering the current situation. So registered letters containing "documents" seem to work just fine after all.

Ah, well.
The "current situation" in this case includes the trade disputes between the two countries concerned, further curdled by the situation in HK.
Hope they process your sample in reasonable time.
Good luck.

ben_john7
10-05-2020, 06:09 AM
Very interesting, but in what time did they process your sample?