PDA

View Full Version : J1-M267 diversity in Portugal

RCO
02-05-2014, 11:23 AM
We can find different types of J1 in Portugal.

Y-chromosome diversity in central Portugal reveals signatures of ancient maritime expansions
http://www.schweizerbart.de/papers/anthranz/detail/70/81479/Y_chromosome_diversity_in_central_Portugal_reveals _signatures_of_ancient_maritime_expansions

Abstract

The genetic diversity of human populations in Portugal results from several different demographic events that occurred in distinct prehistorical and historical periods. The main objective of this study was to examine if patterns of Y-chromosome diversity explained by ancient maritime Mediterranean expansions can be observed in Coimbra district (central-west region of Portugal). A total of 125 male DNA samples were typed for 16 Y-SNPs and eight Y-STRs using standard molecular methodologies. Thirteen different haplogroups were identified, being the typical Western European haplogroup R1b1b2-M269 the most common (57.6%), followed by J-M304 (16%) and E1b1b1-M35 (12%). Haplogroup J-M304, whose origin maps to the Middle East, showed significant differences when comparisons were made between Coimbra district and the innermost region of Beira Interior (p = 0.022), in the same geographic area of the country, but not with the Portuguese regions of Alentejo (p = 0.165) and Algarve (p = 0.254), with known evidences of Mediterranean influence. Y-STR analysis revealed in Coimbra district several haplotypes previously associated with ancient maritime Mediterranean expansions. These findings suggest that maritime routes in the first millennium B.C. may have been important for introduction of new male lineages in Central Portugal.

------------------------

I also wrote a note of research about my new SNPs. Western European J1-M365 position in the Y chromosome phylogenetic tree. Next-generation sequencing technology has increased the phylogenetic resolution for Y chromosome studies. Almost 200 new SNPs were investigated and discovered in a J1-M365 case. Full Genomes Y-Sequencing Results can detect the correct phylogenetic position of a Brazilian Portuguese Christian J1-M365 in the J1 haplogroup tree with new detailed phylogenetic resolution.

Notes of research:

https://www.academia.edu/5889836/Western_European_J1-M365_position_in_the_J1_haplogroup_Y_chromosome_ph ylogenetic_tree

RCO
06-25-2014, 10:13 PM
It's interesting because Portugal is the Westernmost part of Western Eurasia and there's a big diversity of J1 types, that had very ancient ramifications and different origins in distant places like the Zagros-Alborz Mountains. We are trying to calculate the SNPs and STR clusters and proportions of the Portuguese J1's and the J1 overrepresentation in the Portuguese Empire, specially in the major descendants in Brazil. You can send me your e-mail in private to get the article !

RCO
06-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Yes, now we need the Y full sequences of SNPs to obtain more decisive results and comparisons. The SNPs will tell the different origins, trails and chronologies, I hope. I think the professional geneticists can investigate the broader Afro-Eurasian connections in terms of detailed SNPs and I think they have already begun to do this.

Mario411
12-13-2019, 08:50 PM
I have seen it said that the Inquisition or the general theft of Jewish property by the Spanish Royals led these people to leave Spain for Portugal. They also could have been driven to the sea by the older diaspora.

RCO
12-14-2019, 01:07 AM
Conventional genealogy can detect New Christian lines in the last 300/500 years with a good research. The Inquisiton only dealt with baptized Catholics. In the Colonial Wars in Brazil when Protestants and Jews were captured they were not delivered to the Inquisition, only Catholics and ex-Catholics could be prosecuted and sent to be killed by the State for religious issues in that Ancien Régime society. Genetic genealogy can recognize old Iberian Christians, Jews and Muslims in the last 1000 years in terms of the structure of the matches and the trail of SNPs in the phylogenetic tree.