PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Post Merging: Opinions?

Scarlet Ibis
02-06-2014, 06:15 PM
We're trying out the feature where posts made by the same user, and in the same thread within 30 minutes are automatically merged. Some of you might have already noticed.

What do you think about it?

Humanist
02-06-2014, 07:05 PM
We're trying out the feature where posts made by the same user, and in the same thread within 30 minutes are automatically merged. Some of you might have already noticed.

What do you think about it?

Good idea. Will the feature merge posts if there is an intervening post in the thread by another user within that 30 minute time span?

MfA
02-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Will that also bump the thread?

rms2
02-06-2014, 07:31 PM
I voted "Not Sure" because I really am not sure how that will turn out. I guess it depends on the intent of the poster. It could make things confusing, but I have seen some threads in which the original poster followed up with several more posts that were obviously intended to keep an otherwise uninteresting thread bumped up near the top.

DMXX
02-06-2014, 09:32 PM
As a poster, I like this feature because it supports the premise that threads are centred around discussion between various contributors, rather than a consecutive stream of personal thoughts, which is better suited on a blog to be honest. Helps keep things tidy and look like an actual dialogue.

That's just my personal view. Remains to be seen how the community feels about it.

Scarlet Ibis
02-07-2014, 01:49 AM
Good idea. Will the feature merge posts if there is an intervening post in the thread by another user within that 30 minute time span?

Will that also bump the thread?

The answer to both of these questions should be no. :)

Joe B
02-07-2014, 01:56 AM
Since I type so slow, 30 minutes is not a problem. We can adapt to the change.

MitchellSince1893
02-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Disregard...thought there was an issue with the post counts related to this feature but it appears to be working plus I assume posts in the lounge area do not count.

MikeWhalen
02-08-2014, 07:59 PM
dont like it, it seems to function almost like a robot editor and can mess up the original streams of thought...I think I already noticed this in one thread where comments did not seem to flow right

Mike

DMXX
02-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Thank you everyone for voicing your opinions on this trial feature. There seems to be a majority view at present, where it doesn't seem to be favoured for the reasons stated.

As a result, we have just disabled this feature. This poll will remain open for another five days or so to give other users the chance to express their thoughts on it.

alan
02-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Glad to hear it. It was very confusing. I personally feel that when you start thinking about something and the lateral thinking kicks in, thoughts can sort of cascade over a short period albeit not in a way that means you can get it all in one initial post. Not everyone thinks in a near straight line of to and fro. Some people think very laterally and messily but IMO that kind of thinking can often be one's most creative thinking as it involves sudden runs of inspiration rather than slow perspiration. I think sitting down, shutting your eyes and having a long think about something in a visual way that involves actually imagining it is underrated. You see too many students who think slogging away over other people's papers is all you need. IMO you need some originality and that means downtime just thinking in silence.

DMXX
02-09-2014, 05:20 PM
That appears to be one approach to posting taken by some in our community here, yes.

On the flip-side, many of us probably view posts as definitive and structured packages of information that are crafted as such. I'm one of them. I write posts in a less visceral, more detached manner from the way you've described, alan. If I had a stream of consciousness while writing a post, I'd just edit it into the existing one.

At the end of the day, features like this won't prove to be universally popular. At the best it will be favoured by a majority. That isn't the case now, which is why it was retracted. By virtue of my own posting style and approach to threads, I still would've preferred it to have been enabled, but the majority have spoken on this it appears!

alan
02-11-2014, 07:47 AM
LOL I like 'stream of consciousness'. Sounds very 'Jim Morrison' and that can never be a bad thing :0)

The problem with editing posts rather than a quick follow up post is that the edit might not be noticed. When the debate is a hot topic, posts fly in from regular posters back and forth every few minutes. So an edit would likely not be notice after half an hour by many.

That appears to be one approach to posting taken by some in our community here, yes.

On the flip-side, many of us probably view posts as definitive and structured packages of information that are crafted as such. I'm one of them. I write posts in a less visceral, more detached manner from the way you've described, alan. If I had a stream of consciousness while writing a post, I'd just edit it into the existing one.

At the end of the day, features like this won't prove to be universally popular. At the best it will be favoured by a majority. That isn't the case now, which is why it was retracted. By virtue of my own posting style and approach to threads, I still would've preferred it to have been enabled, but the majority have spoken on this it appears!