PDA

View Full Version : MyHeritage vs. The Rest

emery_green
09-14-2020, 05:55 PM
My Heritage is basically, a generalization. It misses some stuff, but has the main things, I guess. Why are their results so different compared to Ancestry and 23andMe? Is it because they don't have enough population samples? I uploaded my 23andMe and Ancestry files to their site. Here is the one that makes the most sense. DNA.Land and MyHeritage found the most Italian. At one point, Ancestry said 1% Italian. 23andMe can't figure it out at all. And I think FTDNA found it. I'm Finnish and Native American everywhere except Ancestry. And in total with all the versions of Native American that I am. I'm about 1.59%. It's a mixture of Mayan / Zapotec, Siberian / Arctic, and South American Amerindian, from my Caribbean side.

Lirio100
09-15-2020, 02:05 AM
In my opinion the differences are probably due to differences in sample populations and/or definitions.
Mine:
MyHeritage:
North and West Europe
English 49.6
Scandinavian 20.1
Finnish 1.2

East Europe
Balkan 12.6
Baltic 5.5

Ashkenazi 9.5

Southern Europe and S. Italian 1.5

Then we have Ancestry...
NW Europe 33 (specifically the Midlands)

Sweden 19
European Jewish 18
Norway 17
Wales 8
Germanic Europe 5

FTDNA

W and Central Europe 51
Scandinavian 17
British Isles 13
East Europe 7
Ashkenazi 12

23andme
British and Irish 25.5
French and German 19.1
Scandinavian 18.4
Ashkenazi 12.5
Eastern Europe 3.4
and an odd trace that has stayed consistent through all 23andme's iterations. Broadly Western Asia and N. Africa 0.1

SO--6 of my great grandparents were immigrants, a seventh was the son of, and the eight was a colonial line most likely from the British Isles.

On my dad's side-- my great grandparents were from Wales, England (midlands), Bavaria and Mecklinberg-Schwerin.
On my mom's side the great grandparents are a little more complicated. One great grandfather was Jewish. His father was from Anklam Germany, a tiny town in northern Germany, near the Baltic Sea. His mother was born in Berlin, Germany. His grandfather was born in then Jastrow, Poland.
He married a woman whose mother was from colonial lines and whose father came from Sussex, England. My grandmother told me her mother had Scottish ancestry but I haven't been able to verify that.

My second great grandmother on the maternal side was a Norwegian immigrant. My great grandfather was born here, but his mother was a Norwegian immigrant and his father was a Swedish immigrant.

All of these results are from the same set of people.

JerryS.
09-15-2020, 12:19 PM
sample populations indeed, and tool used to decode raw data I'd say.... I sent in raw data from Ancestry or 23 (I forgot which one), MH gave me UK and African, that's it.

Bog Body
09-15-2020, 09:33 PM
A bit off topic--When was the last time MyHeritage did an analysis update?

Xeon
09-15-2020, 09:46 PM
A bit off topic--When was the last time MyHeritage did an analysis update?

2 years ago I believe, I heard they were coming out with a new update, cant really find out when

emery_green
09-15-2020, 10:44 PM
Uhhh. Never. Lol.

Aiden
09-16-2020, 01:24 AM
Considering the political agenda of 23andme and the ethnicity update mess of AncestryDNA, I'd say that My Heritage is the best of the "big 3".

JerryS.
09-16-2020, 01:35 AM
Considering the political agenda of 23andme and the ethnicity update mess of AncestryDNA, I'd say that My Heritage is the best of the "big 3".

First I've heard of a political agenda for 23-me

Xeon
09-16-2020, 05:09 AM

myheritage's analysis is complete garbage, I dont know how their raw data compares with the others. The best one is the one that produces the best raw data with fewer miscalls in my opinion
myheritage used to analyze ~710k SNPs but after their chip update, it got decreased to ~610k which is unfortunate

Aiden
09-16-2020, 07:30 AM
First I've heard of a political agenda for 23-me

Labeling Jews "European", labeling Greek cypriots "western asian" thus denying their hellenic roots, a scandal involving a 23andme scientist tampering with individuals European DNA results adding in traces of non Euro DNA "to screw with racists", the fact that the company is run by leftwing activist Anne Wojcicki, the ex-wife of Google founder Sergey Brin, backed by Facebook billionaire Yuri Milner and Google Ventures, I could go on.

JerryS.
09-16-2020, 08:21 AM
Labeling Jews "European", labeling Greek cypriots "western asian" thus denying their hellenic roots, a scandal involving a 23andme scientist tampering with individuals European DNA results adding in traces of non Euro DNA "to screw with racists", the fact that the company is run by leftwing activist Anne Wojcicki, the ex-wife of Google founder Sergey Brin, backed by Facebook billionaire Yuri Milner and Google Ventures, I could go on.

You could provide vetted sources for those accusations.

23abc
09-16-2020, 09:18 AM
myheritage's analysis is complete garbage, I dont know how their raw data compares with the others. The best one is the one that produces the best raw data with fewer miscalls in my opinion
myheritage used to analyze ~710k SNPs but after their chip update, it got decreased to ~610k which is unfortunate

MyHeritage actually has the least miscalls (0.25% compared to 23andme 2.5%) but their ethnicity estimates are the worst. The raw file quality doesn't really change anything.

Xeon
09-16-2020, 02:08 PM
MyHeritage actually has the least miscalls (0.25% compared to 23andme 2.5%) but their ethnicity estimates are the worst. The raw file quality doesn't really change anything.

Since their estimates are bad, it's better to use their raw data for gedmatch and g25 or what not. That's why I value their raw data over their analysis in their case

pmokeefe
09-16-2020, 02:42 PM
You could provide vetted sources for those accusations.
Trying to track down reports about issues with 23andMe results and found this:

According to Snopes:
Did DNA Testing Companies Admit to Altering Tests to ‘Screw with Racists’?
(https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dna-testing-companies-admit-altering-tests-screw-racists/)A number of hyperpartisan web sites claimed that DNA testing companies deliberately fabricated African ancestry to "screw with" racist customers.
by Kim LaCapria

Mostly False

What's True
An anonymous purported employee of an unnamed DNA testing company claimed that on two occasions, less than one percent African ancestry was added to testing results, typically when their findings totaled under 100 percent.

What's False
DNA testing companies made no such admission; the claim was sourced from one anonymous worker and published on a humor site; even the worker indicated purported meddling was unusual.

It seems (not completely sure) this is the original article that started the rumor:
Inside The Shady World Of DNA Testing Companies (https://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2522-inside-shady-world-dna-testing-companies.html)
In particular the section "They Will Screw With Racists".

"Since we couldn't do anything to the results (and we wanted to), what we did was add '< 1 percent' to each African category of ethnicity. That way we weren't lying, and they would both be wondering how much under a percentage point was. We always try to round to the nearest number because we sometimes hear about percentage points, but for them, we leave it open to whether it's a one or a zero."

digital_noise
09-16-2020, 03:55 PM
Since their estimates are bad, it's better to use their raw data for gedmatch and g25 or what not. That's why I value their raw data over their analysis in their case

This is a blanket statement that might apply to you but not to everyone. In my case, regionally My Heritage is the most accurate. They fall apart a bit in the details, and NW Europe is a mess so I don’t pay attention to that. So if you set your expectations, it’s fine. I suspect its just an old algorithm based on old data honestly. I really hope that the update, whenever it comes, can leverage the massive European data sets that they likely have.

Xeon
09-16-2020, 04:09 PM
This is a blanket statement that might apply to you but not to everyone. In my case, regionally My Heritage is the most accurate. They fall apart a bit in the details, and NW Europe is a mess so I don’t pay attention to that. So if you set your expectations, it’s fine. I suspect its just an old algorithm based on old data honestly. I really hope that the update, whenever it comes, can leverage the massive European data sets that they likely have.

yes, the lack of detail is whats troubling. companies like 23andme will go as far as illustrating provinces of certain countries. if they update their algorithm to recognize countries within a cluster group, i'm sure itll be fine.

rober_tce
09-16-2020, 04:31 PM
In my experience, My Heritage isn't bad. I understand many people has received results with strange cathegories, some iberians for example have too much scandinavian, values that in other companies disapear. My Heritage gived me good results.

Xeon
09-16-2020, 09:00 PM
In my experience, My Heritage isn't bad. I understand many people has received results with strange cathegories, some iberians for example have too much scandinavian, values that in other companies disapear. My Heritage gived me good results.

In my case, they gave me a decent amount of Mizrahi jewish despite the lack of jewish background. There maybe overlap between certain SNPs amongst non jewish west asians and mizrahis but it's not accurate by any means. They also group west Asia into one cluster. It would nicer if they broke it down to smaller areas and countries. Otherwise it makes no sense.

vettor
09-16-2020, 09:06 PM

I agree...their ethnicity is bad .......................but their DNA linking yourself to people in their database is the best in the business ...............but, only a few low confidence ones have been a match for me, while most of the medium confidence ones are confirmed by myself via registry records...........................

rober_tce
09-16-2020, 09:34 PM
In my case, they gave me a decent amount of Mizrahi jewish despite the lack of jewish background. There maybe overlap between certain SNPs amongst non jewish west asians and mizrahis but it's not accurate by any means. They also group west Asia into one cluster. It would nicer if they broke it down to smaller areas and countries. Otherwise it makes no sense.

It's true that they should improve their algorithm, when the upgrade comes if does ever, I suppose they will be more precisse. Nowadays, in my experience, for me was good relatively.

Xeon
09-16-2020, 10:15 PM
It's true that they should improve their algorithm, when the upgrade comes if does ever, I suppose they will be more precisse. Nowadays, in my experience, for me was good relatively.

I've seen articles about an upcoming update however neither of which provide a date approximation. Who knows when

rober_tce
09-16-2020, 11:30 PM
I've seen articles about an upcoming update however neither of which provide a date approximation. Who knows when
As for the period they have given for the update, I don't have much expectatives, "very soon" is a very ambiguous term.

emery_green
09-18-2020, 03:13 AM
I did an upload, not an actual test.

CyrylBojarski
09-18-2020, 05:48 AM
Checking matches on Myheritage was very helpful, but ethnicity estimates are very bad for my ancestry. Instead of giving me 6% Middle Eastern or Levantine they overestimated my Balkan percentage to 25%, which should be on level 6%

Dorkymon
09-18-2020, 06:29 AM
Checking matches on Myheritage was very helpful, but ethnicity estimates are very bad for my ancestry. Instead of giving me 6% Middle Eastern or Levantine they overestimated my Balkan percentage to 25%, which should be on level 6%

Their Balkan is different from 23andme's for example. It's a more Northern-shifted component and from my experience it barely differs from Eastern European. It is not unusual to find Ukrainians with like 70% Balkan. The 23andme Balkan-like component is the Greek and South Italian one here IMO.

CyrylBojarski
09-18-2020, 06:53 AM
Their Balkan is different from 23andme's for example. It's a more Northern-shifted component and from my experience it barely differs from Eastern European. It is not unusual to find Ukrainians with like 70% Balkan. The 23andme Balkan-like component is the Greek and South Italian one here IMO.

Yes, I know. But It misses distant ancestry. 23andme with G25 was probably the best for my ancestry. G25 models me as 87,5% Slav, 6,25% Balkan and 6,25% Levantine and 23andme percentages are also similar, 78% Eastern European, 9% Greek and Balkan, 2% Italian 1% Spanish, 0,5% WANA, 0,5% Ashkenazi and 6% Broadly European. Probably ≈2% Greek and and Balkan also comes from my Polish side ( I have seen a lot of Slavs getting 2-3% Balkan on 23andme)

Dorkymon
09-18-2020, 08:40 AM
Yes, I know. But It misses distant ancestry

For me it's better and more similar to how 23andme was 3-5 years ago. Current 23andme focuses on the last 200 years and misses distant ancestry, which is picked up by G25.

CyrylBojarski
09-18-2020, 08:41 AM
For me it's better and more similar to how 23andme was 3-5 years ago. Current 23andme focuses on the last 200 years and misses distant ancestry, which is picked up by G25.

Yes, more than 200 years I think it is very distant. Myheritage has problems with last 100 years

emery_green
09-22-2020, 05:32 PM
Everyone was talking about MyOrigins 3.0 and I went to check MyHeritage because I couldn't remember which site. I paid like $19 to upload to FTDNA and then one day, they just deleted my account. So, can't check that. If I buy another test, it'll be 23andMe for my mom and kid. She already did Ancestry for me.

emery_green
09-22-2020, 09:20 PM
myheritage's analysis is complete garbage This made me laugh. Lol. It is garbage.

emery_green
09-22-2020, 10:33 PM
G25 missed a lot of other things that all the other sites picked up. What's in my signature is straight from David, but, I've been playing around with Genotype. I'm way more mixed than the seven things listed and that's why PCA plotters suck for me. Lol. What is not in his analysis is Scandinavian, including Finnish, an Dutch, German, French or Asian. I know I'm Asian, it comes from my mom and it's Southeast, a little Chinese, and Central and West Asian. It's cool that my Spanish went up with his analysis, though. But, when I add Dutch and German, It goes to the top of the list after African overcoming English and Irish with Spanish next.

emery_green
09-26-2020, 02:14 PM
Me too