PDA

View Full Version : R1a , Clan MacDougall and Somerled

angscoire
10-13-2020, 01:42 PM
It has been known for some time that Somerled was likely R1a due to the various Chiefs of Clan Donald all having the same YDNA signature , as well as assorted McAllister’s , McKane‘s etc . There is now more evidence to back that up , as the McDougalls - allegedly descended from Somerleds son Dugall- are shown to be an offshoot from the same R1a paternal lineage.

https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/centreforlifelonglearning/news/clanmacdougalldiscoverybystrathclyderesearchers/

razyn
06-19-2021, 01:00 AM
I'm a bit late to this thread, but I've seen elsewhere that you have expressed interest in the Dunaverty Massacre. I ran across the Wikipedia article about that while Googling some other spellings of McEachern, which is said to be another spelling of my wife's maternal grandmother's surname, in the American southeast usually spelled McCaghren but pronounced (and sometimes spelled) McCarren. And they came to America from County Antrim, but considered themselves to be Scottish.

Anyway an Australian guy, Andrew McEachern, is R1a -- and was interested in trying to find some other kin with that surname to test (at FTDNA), to see if his Australian group could find an R1a match somewhere closer to home base (as it were).

In case any of that is grist for your mill, here.