PDA

View Full Version : One nationality in family but in results...

NnaCrt
10-19-2020, 11:25 PM
Hi, i'm new here and new in genealogy at all, but i really enjoy history and I had an idea to make a DNA test because my whole family is really homogeneous (everybody was the same nationality for last 100 years) and this is my result from DNA Land. How can i got that 18% of non slavic DNA? I don't have any idea, i'm suprised but it's a great suprise to know more history. What dou you think? Is it typical result for person from central/east Europe to have DNA of Med Islander? How long from the past I could get this part of DNA?
I don't know it's important: my look - tall, slim, eyes small and dark blue, dark wavy hair, skin pink, humped nose

Buxoro
10-19-2020, 11:48 PM
What is your ethnicity? Polish?
DnaLand isn’t a reliable test. From which test is your raw data (i guess if you haven’t asked about it’s results than i guess it’s nothing unusual). However i haven’t seen a full slavic person to score such high mediterranean.
Humped nose could be an indicator of a non-euro ancestry in your case.

NnaCrt
10-20-2020, 09:28 AM
I have raw data from MyHeritage and there I got around 30% of Balkan.

mildlycurly
10-20-2020, 12:51 PM
The Med Islander population is based on Cypriot references. In your case, you probably have some Balkan and/or Jewish ancestry. The Northwest Euro is possibly more ancient Germanic.

However, neither DNA Land nor Myheritage are very accurate IMO.

NnaCrt
10-20-2020, 02:43 PM
So which DNA test is more accurate? I used also GED match and it's crazy a little bit because in my results i can see a half of the world's countries, even some % of African. I've made genealogy search last night using online archives and from 18 century my family were only polish and eastern polish (lived in the Ukraine) and they lived in two places for last 200 years. Sometimes I've heard I look non typical so i was interested to check it.

My Germanic DNA can be from ancestors in my father's family which were called Masurians in Poland - for part of people they were polish, for others they were more german. But i've never heard about any Jews/Ashkenazi relatives.