Autosmal test:
Mediterranean:51%
South-westasian: 36%
north-european:7%
North-east asian: 3%
Sub-saharan: 2%

Neanderthal: 2.1%
Denisovan: 2.8%

This doesn't really make that much sense for me.

Sein
02-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Very interesting results Baibars!

According to this, you plot near Isfahan:

In your opinion, is this accurate for someone of Luristani background?

Arbogan
02-20-2014, 02:23 PM
Very interesting results Baibars!

According to this, you plot near Isfahan:

In your opinion, is this accurate for someone of Luristani background?

Inaccurate.... this test overestimates SSA ancestry. I have never scored such high SSA in other tests or 23andme. I should plot in central zagros, around Ilam. My SSA is usually between 0-0.5% on 23andme and gedmatch calculators. I have no known sub-saharan ancestry. All of my grandparents and known great-grandparents descend from loorestani and kurdish tribes in Ilam and Loorestan. I'm still uncertain what to make of it. I'd say it's noise.

Sein
02-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Inaccurate.... this test overestimates SSA ancestry. I have never scored such high SSA in other tests or 23andme. I should plot in central zagros, around Ilam. My SSA is usually between 0-0.5% on 23andme and gedmatch calculators. I have no known sub-saharan ancestry. All of my grandparents and known great-grandparents descend from loorestani and kurdish tribes in Ilam and Loorestan. I'm still uncertain what to make of it. I'd say it's noise.

Very interesting.

Is it possible for you to post you Dodecad World9 results from GEDMatch? That would be an apples to apples comparison, since K=9. We could compare your scores between both K=9 tests. Also, I'm trying to do some correlations with Geno 2.0 results based on Dodecad World9, so it would be very helpful for me.

Arbogan
02-20-2014, 03:03 PM
Very interesting.

Is it possible for you to post you Dodecad World9 results from GEDMatch? That would be an apples to apples comparison, since K=9. We could compare your scores between both K=9 tests. Also, I'm trying to do some correlations with Geno 2.0 results based on Dodecad World9, so it would be very helpful for me.

world9:
Amerindian 0.34%
East_Asian 1.05%
African 0.86%
Atlantic_Baltic 5.91%
Australasian -
Siberian 1.41%
Caucasus_Gedrosia 55.26%
Southern 29.77%
South_Asian 5.35%

Sein
02-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks Baibars!

This is very helpful. Looking at this, you have around 1% unambiguous Sub-Saharan African. Also, you have a very substantial 30% Southern score. For this calculator, Southern is the most Sub-Saharan African shifted of all West Eurasian components. What they've tried at Geno 2.0 is to avoid components with mixed or complex affinities. This guided their selection of reference populations and K values. So, you get a more accurate percentage of Sub-Saharan African. That extra 1% was hidden in your Southern component for Dodecad World9.

To be honest, I think your results are actually accurate. If most of your ancestry is from the southwest of Iran, shouldn't you have around 2% Sub-Saharan African? Conversely, you are less East Asian than northwestern Iranians like DMXX, so that seems accurate.

Arbogan
02-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Thanks Baibars!

This is very helpful. Looking at this, you have around 1% unambiguous Sub-Saharan African. Also, you have a very substantial 30% Southern score. For this calculator, Southern is the most Sub-Saharan African shifted of all West Eurasian components. What they've tried at Geno 2.0 is to avoid components with mixed or complex affinities. This guided their selection of reference populations and K values. So, you get a more accurate percentage of Sub-Saharan African. That extra 1% was hidden in your Southern component for Dodecad World9.

To be honest, I think your results are actually accurate. If most of your ancestry is from the southwest of Iran, shouldn't you have around 2% Sub-Saharan African? Conversely, you are less East Asian than northwestern Iranians like DMXX, so that seems accurate.

Here is the thing though.... Ilam and loorestan aren't in south-western iran. They're in a west-central area. And my people descend from pastoralists and farmers who lived relatively isolated lives on the base of zagros and adjacent regions. Unlikely aswell, since most people from my region of iran do not have any african ancestry, and i've seen a few tested. And yes.. you're right in that components on gedmatch calculators have hidden allele-affinities. But even when those components were broken down in smaller K tests, i didn't have any noticably high SSA. My southern score is not high compared to other looris and iranian kurds either. I will occasionally score small 0.8-0.9 scores on some calculators. But not beyond noise levels.

Logically speaking, if I had any SSA via the small noise amount scores and the K "hidden" , then the Lebanese reference sample should have twice or thrice the amount what I score. Because they usually have a stable 2-3% percent on most tests.

Either way... they use a different system for their autosmal analysis, that is different from admixture alogrithims. Their method is likely incapable of distinguishing between noise and actual admixture, or has a higher rate of error than the system used by 23andme for example. Their "components" are pretty amateurish and limited aswell. What kind of half-decent ancestry genetic project merge iranian and tajik samples and call them south-west-asian. Tajikistan is in central-asia last time I looked.

I'm disappointed in genos ancestral analysis.

Sein
02-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Also, sorry for not asking this in the first place, but what are you're two closest reference populations?

Arbogan
02-20-2014, 03:34 PM
Also, sorry for not asking this in the first place, but what are you're two closest reference populations?

1.Georgian
2.Iranian

MfA
02-20-2014, 03:43 PM
This is a Feyli Kurd from Ilam.

World9
0.47% Amerindian
0.17% East_Asian
0.26% African
8.97% Atlantic_Baltic
0.79% Australasian
0.38% Siberian
51.75% Caucasus_Gedrosia
31.6% Southern
5.61% South_Asian

Sein
02-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Here is the thing though.... Ilam and loorestan aren't in south-western iran. They're in west-central area. And my people descend from pastoralists and farmers who lived relatively isolated lives on the base of zagros and adjacent regions. Unlikely aswell, since most people from my region of iran do not have any african ancestry, and i've seen a few tested. And yes.. you're right in that components on gedmatch calculators have hidden allele-affinities. But even when those components were broken down in smaller K tests, i didn't have any noticably high SSA. My southern score is not high compared to other looris and iranian kurds either.

But doesn't Ilam border southern Iraq, and isn't Loorestan due east of Ilam?

That makes sense, but cultures and genes are very dynamic entities. In fact, more like processes. Interconnection and mingling are almost certain, no matter how physically isolated people may be. There are strictly endogamous communities across the world who show clear admixture, just due to the contingencies of history, so this wouldn't be surprising. And I don't think people from you're part of Iran have been sampled by formal academia, and I haven't seen any results from this area in any of the open autosomal projects (by the way, are you in Dodecad or Eurogenes? If not, I recommend that you join the Harappa Ancestry Project, it would be very nice to have reference data from the area), so we don't really know what to expect. But individual variation is something we should expect. I'm genetically much more Siberian/Turkic than most people from my part of Afghanistan/Northwestern Pakistan, so this happens.

And I wouldn't consider 2% noticeable. You have more Northeast Asian admixture than you have Sub-Saharan African admixture. Considering your geographical origins, the 1% unambiguous Sub-Saharan African you have, and the huge amount of "Southern" you possess, 2% Sub-Saharan African seems reasonable.

Sein
02-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Also, here are plots for other Iranians/Azerbaijani people, and myself:

DMXX

Imadaddin

Sein

An Afghan Pashtun friend plots in almost the exact same location as myself. The cool thing though, both you and me are pretty close.

Edit: The plot I uploaded was based on one population. When I try 10 populations, me and my Afghan Pashtun friend end up near Mashhad in northeastern Iran

DMXX
02-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Comparing Baibars, the other Feyli Kurd and myself through World9. Lowest values in blue, highest in red.

Compared to the Feyli Kurd and myself, Baibars has slightly more African and a lot more Caucasus_Gedrosia (at least compared with me). This is actually in line with the results, as you've registered a SSA component in Geno 2.0 and match Georgians better than Geno's Central Iranian reference group (Sein discovered they're actually from Yazd).

I suppose this qualitatively confirms the Geno results, but the quantity's certainly not correct, given you haven't registered anywhere near as much African-related components on 23andMe and elsewhere for instance. In addition, it's quite confusing that you have registered 2% African, yet various Middle-Eastern ethnic groups which have been shown to have some (e.g. Lebanese) actually lack it via Geno.

As Baibars correctly stated in my opinion, the differing algorithms are likely responsible for this. Another possibility is your 2% African is actually some form of early post-Out of Africa signal that's refusing to fit into the other components on Geno, but readily does in other programs?

[Edit]: Quite curious I am more South_Asian than either of you despite my ancestry being from much further north.

Baibars Feyli DMXX
Amerindian 0.34 0.47 0.12
East Asian 1.05 0.17 2.04
African 0.86 0.26 0.29
Atlantic_Baltic 5.91 8.97 11.48
Australasian 0 0.79 0.71
Siberian 1.41 0.38 2.36
Cauc_Gedrosia 55.26 51.75 48.94
Southern 29.77 31.6 27.53
South_Asian 5.35 5.61 6.52

Arbogan
02-20-2014, 04:12 PM
But doesn't Ilam border southern Iraq, and isn't Loorestan due east of Ilam?

Only the southern half is between southern and central iraq:

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=ilam+province&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x3fe5abbb97a6d275:0x19ebb25412f40bfd,Ilam,+ Iran&gl=se&ei=LiYGU6XMJYT9ygOS2YKYDg&ved=0CI4BELYD

That makes sense, but cultures and genes are very dynamic entities. In fact, more like processes. Interconnection and mingling are almost certain, no matter how physically isolated people may be. There are strictly endogamous communities across the world who show clear admixture, just due to the contingencies of history, so this wouldn't be surprising. And I don't think people from you're part of Iran have been sampled by formal academia, and I haven't seen any results from this area in any of the open autosomal projects (by the way, are you in Dodecad or Eurogenes? If not, I recommend that you join the Harappa Ancestry Project, it would be nice to have reference data from the area), so we don't really know what to expect. But individual variation is something we should expect. I'm genetically much more Siberian/Turkic than most people from my part of Afghanistan/Northwestern Pakistan, so this happens.

Sure, but we're talking about relatively isolated shepherders and peasants who've generationally until recently, not left their homeland. Your explanation-model makes more sense in societies and geographical regions where there has been alot of activity and movement, transitional areas, with flatter and accesible terrain. Not neglible isolated regions with difficult mountainous terrain, and low activity, of limited strategic value.

atleast in your case it makes sense. Turkics have been historically and recently present in Afghanistan. Several dynasties and peoples in afghanistan boast and have boasted turkic ancestry. My results are much less probable.

And I wouldn't consider 2% noticeable. You have more Northeast Asian admixture than you have Sub-Saharan African admixture. Considering your geographical origins, the 1% unambiguous Sub-Saharan African you have, and the huge amount of "Southern" you possess, 2% Sub-Saharan African seems reasonable.
The problem is that southern doesn't correlate with the sub-saharan on national genographic test. There are people with much higher( some assyrians f.ex) southern scores who do not show up with any african on the geno 2.0. It's also problematic that people show sporadically nonsensical results like, extra north european(in people with historically no contact with north/east european people, and no geographical proximity), south-east asian and native american. Hence the result is quite unreliable.

Sein
02-20-2014, 04:17 PM
...Another possibility is your 2% African is actually some form of early post-Out of Africa signal that's refusing to fit into the other components on Geno, but readily does in other programs?

This is actually very plausible, considering the idea behind "Basal Eurasian".

MfA
02-20-2014, 04:17 PM
This is mine FWIW

Amerindian 1.04%
East_Asian 0.41%
African 0.10%
Atlantic_Baltic 11.53%
Australasian 0.20%
Siberian 1.02%
Caucasus_Gedrosia 48.70%
Southern 32.41%
South_Asian 4.60%

DMXX
02-20-2014, 04:24 PM
This is actually very plausible, considering the idea behind "Basal Eurasian".

Several years ago, before the advent of the "genome bloggers", I noticed that some West Asians (particularly Iranians and some Anatolian Turks) had an elevated affinity to East Africa on 23andMe's Global Similarity feature. This is despite the fact that most Iranians (with the exception of those from further south) have no African admixture. I proposed at the time this might be an indication of that post-OoA signal, which the Genographic Project have themselves described in their blurb for their Iranian samples:

This reference population is based on samples collected from native Iranians. As some ancient populations migrated from Africa, they passed first through Southwest Asia en route to the rest of Eurasia. Some populations stayed in the Middle East and southwestern Asia, over time developing unique genetic patterns. ...

"Basal Eurasian" isn't a completely foreign concept on genetics discussions boards, where Y-DNA Haplogroup F was occasionally described as arising somewhere around the Middle-East after an early wave left Africa. I do find it interesting that academia have formally espoused it now through autosomal DNA.

Sein
02-20-2014, 04:27 PM
The problem is that southern doesn't correlate with the sub-saharan on national genographic test. There are people with much higher( some assyrians f.ex) southern scores who do not show up with any african on the geno 2.0. It's also problematic that people show sporadically nonsensical results like, extra north european(in people with historically no contact with north/east european people, and no geographical proximity), south-east asian and native american. Hence the result is quite unreliable.

This is true, but many of their components have different modalities, especially in comparison to the calculators we're used to. Their Northern European correlates nicely with Atlantic_Baltic-like components in public calculators, rather than the more strongly Northeast European components. Since they avoided a South Asian component, "Southeast Asian" is usually equivalent to ASI for Iranians and South Asians. And the Native American is just unresolved Siberian for most people from the "Old World" (or, it could be ANE). I think they should have done a better job of labeling.

I think DMXX's suggestion concerning the early post-Out of Africa signal is very plausible. Maybe this represents a sliver of "Basal Eurasian"?

Arbogan
02-20-2014, 04:44 PM
Other Ilami and feyli kurds world9 results:

Amerindian 0.47%
East_Asian 0.17%
African 0.26%
Atlantic_Baltic 8.97%
Australasian 0.79%
Siberian 0.38%
Caucasus_Gedrosia 51.75%
Southern 31.60%
South_Asian 5.61%

Amerindian 0.69%
East_Asian 0.21%
African 0.54%
Atlantic_Baltic 10.99%
Australasian -
Siberian 1.10%
Caucasus_Gedrosia 48.51%
Southern 30.57%
South_Asian 7.40%

an assyrian for comparison:
Amerindian -
East_Asian -
African 0.25%
Atlantic_Baltic 10.30%
Australasian 0.73%
Siberian 0.40%
Caucasus_Gedrosia 46.77%
Southern 40.85%
South_Asian 0.71%

Sein
02-20-2014, 04:46 PM
A side note, but have you sent your data to Zack? If not, and if you decide to do so, I think you would be the first individual of Loorestani background to be in an open autosomal project (I think). If it isn't too much trouble, could you post your HarappaWorld results? You seem to have more "Caucasus_Gedrosia" than other Iranians, so it would be very interesting to see how you breakdown in terms of Caucasian and Baloch for HarappWorld.

Arbogan
02-20-2014, 04:54 PM
A side note, but have you sent your data to Zack? If not, and if you decide to do so, I think you would be the first individual of Loorestani background to be in an open autosomal project (I think). If it isn't too much trouble, could you post your HarappaWorld results? You seem to have more "Caucasus_Gedrosia" than other Iranians, so it would be very interesting to see how you breakdown in terms of Caucasian and Baloch for HarappWorld.

Here are my harappa scores:

S-Indian 1.80%
Baloch 30.32%
Caucasian 44.42%
NE-Euro 3.60%
SE-Asian 0.81%
Siberian 1.46%
NE-Asian 0.33%
Papuan 0.21%
American 0.37%
Beringian 0.05%
Mediterranean 2.30%
SW-Asian 13.42%
San
E-African 0.63%
Pygmy
W-African 0.26%

Sein
02-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Here are my harappa scores:

S-Indian 1.80%
Baloch 30.32%
Caucasian 44.42%
NE-Euro 3.60%
SE-Asian 0.81%
Siberian 1.46%
NE-Asian 0.33%
Papuan 0.21%
American 0.37%
Beringian 0.05%
Mediterranean 2.30%
SW-Asian 13.42%
San
E-African 0.63%
Pygmy
W-African 0.26%

Thanks! Very interesting results, so you do have both higher Caucasus, and higher Baloch than other Iranians.

Arbogan
02-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Thanks! Very interesting results, so you do have both higher Caucasus, and higher Baloch than other Iranians.

I think i signed up to HarappaWorld a long time ago. If i'm not wrong... i'm project member 46 there. I got pretty much the same result as i did on gedmatch, but had some noise.

ZephyrousMandaru
02-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks Baibars!

While it is true that Southern is a composite component that exhibits other affinities to other components. By that same reasoning, I should register even more Sub-Saharan African admixture than Balibars. I'm 40.85% Southern. Yet on Geno 2.0, I scored 0% Sub-Saharan African.

Population
Amerindian -
East_Asian -
African 0.25%
Atlantic_Baltic 10.30%
Australasian 0.73%
Siberian 0.40%
Caucasus_Gedrosia 46.77%
Southern 40.85%
South_Asian 0.71%

ZephyrousMandaru
02-20-2014, 07:27 PM
"Basal Eurasian" isn't a completely foreign concept on genetics discussions boards, where Y-DNA Haplogroup F was occasionally described as arising somewhere around the Middle-East after an early wave left Africa. I do find it interesting that academia have formally espoused it now through autosomal DNA.

I think the best candidates we have for the Basal Eurasian component that, at least today, are unmixed Yemenis and Bedouins. I predict that the isolated Mehri people of Socotra, are probably rich in this Basal Eurasian component. As far as I'm aware, these people have no recent African admixture, and yet phenotypically resemble East Africans. These people are probably what the Basal Eurasians would have looked like, before branching off and becoming West Asians, Mediterraneans and Southwest Asians.

Humanist
02-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Comparing Baibars, the other Feyli Kurd and myself through World9. Lowest values in blue, highest in red.

Baibars Feyli DMXX
Amerindian 0.34 0.47 0.12
East Asian 1.05 0.17 2.04
African 0.86 0.26 0.29
Atlantic_Baltic 5.91 8.97 11.48
Australasian 0 0.79 0.71
Siberian 1.41 0.38 2.36
Cauc_Gedrosia 55.26 51.75 48.94
Southern 29.77 31.6 27.53
South_Asian 5.35 5.61 6.52

Cluster and Neighbor-joining analyses of World9 results for Baibars, DMXX, Feyli Kurd, MfA, Zephyrous, Humanist, and two Southern Iraqi Mandaeans.

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/dok101/Faces/cluster_world9.jpg

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/dok101/Faces/neighbor_joining_world9.jpg

Sein
02-20-2014, 09:30 PM
I think the best candidates we have for the Basal Eurasian component that, at least today, are unmixed Yemenis and Bedouins. I predict that the isolated Mehri people of Socotra, are probably rich in this Basal Eurasian component. As far as I'm aware, these people have no recent African admixture, and yet phenotypically resemble East Africans. These people are probably what the Basal Eurasians would have looked like, before branching off and becoming West Asians, Mediterraneans and Southwest Asians.

That's a very tantalizing idea.

ZephyrousMandaru
02-20-2014, 09:46 PM
That's a very tantalizing idea.

Indeed, not all the languages spoken in far Southern Arabia or Socotra are related to Semitic either or any other West Eurasian language family. Also, over 70% of Socotri paternal lineages belong to the very rare haplogroup called J*. A subgroup of J, which is completely different from J1 and J2. J* is also present in very low frequencies in South Asia. I can't help but wonder if J* is related to this coastal migration of peoples exiting East Africa and then entering the Red Sea corridor, and then moving down to Southern Arabia and from there, moving towards Southern Asia.

newtoboard
02-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Indeed, not all the languages spoken in far Southern Arabia or Socotra are related to Semitic either or any other West Eurasian language family. Also, over 70% of Socotri paternal lineages belong to the very rare haplogroup called J*. A subgroup of J, which is completely different from J1 and J2. J* is also present in very low frequencies in South Asia. I can't help but wonder if J* is related to this coastal migration of peoples exiting East Africa and then entering the Red Sea corridor, and then moving down to Southern Arabia and from there, moving towards Southern Asia.

What timeframe do you see this migration taking place in? You sure it is J* (as in the lineage ancestral to J1 and J2) as opposed to unresolved J3/J4 lineages? It is also unlikely F and IJ originated somewhere other than Eurasia. And imo unlikely for either to have originated anywhere west of the Euphrates. So it would be strange for J* to have originated in Eastern Africa.

ZephyrousMandaru
02-21-2014, 10:05 PM
What timeframe do you see this migration taking place in? You sure it is J* (as in the lineage ancestral to J1 and J2) as opposed to unresolved J3/J4 lineages? It is also unlikely F and IJ originated somewhere other than Eurasia. And imo unlikely for either to have originated anywhere west of the Euphrates. So it would be strange for J* to have originated in Eastern Africa.

I'm not exactly sure as to what the precise dates are, but if I had estimate the time frame of the migration, it would probably have been around 30-50,000 years ago. I'm not sure if J* is ancestral to either J1 or J2, it may or may not be. However, it's clear to me that J-P209 is probably the earliest J lineages of the entire Haplogroup J clade. It was probably very widespread at some point in the Middle East and elsewhere, but is now relegated to Socotra perhaps due to a genetic bottleneck. I don't think J* originated in East Africa, I do however think it was one of the earliest West Eurasian lineages along with IJ and F*.

newtoboard
02-21-2014, 10:11 PM
I'm not exactly sure as to what the precise dates are, but if I had estimate the time frame of the migration, it would probably have been around 30-50,000 years ago. I'm not sure if J* is ancestral to either J1 or J2, it may or may not be. However, it's clear to me that J-P209 is probably the earliest J lineages of the entire Haplogroup J clade. It was probably very widespread at some point in the Middle East and elsewhere, but is now relegated to Socotra perhaps due to a genetic bottleneck. I don't think J* originated in East Africa, I do however think it was one of the earliest West Eurasian lineages along with IJ and F*.

What do you think its distribution was?

I wonder what the geography of the Red Sea area was like at this point. I remember a map posted on this site which showed no Caspian Sea as well as a land connection between Eastern Africa and the Arabian peninsula. That corridor could be a good candidate for the migration of J* lineages (and perhaps T) into Eastern Africa from West Asia and maybe back into West Asia.

ZephyrousMandaru
02-22-2014, 06:08 AM
What do you think its distribution was?

I wonder what the geography of the Red Sea area was like at this point. I remember a map posted on this site which showed no Caspian Sea as well as a land connection between Eastern Africa and the Arabian peninsula. That corridor could be a good candidate for the migration of J* lineages (and perhaps T) into Eastern Africa from West Asia and maybe back into West Asia.

Well, considering it's rather sparse and seemingly random distribution from the Middle East to places such as Central and South Asia. It may have had a geographical range from the Middle East to as far as Central and South Asia and Southeastern Europe (Greece). It probably originated somewhere in the Middle East during the Paleolithic era and was swamped by R1a/R1b, J1/J2, T, G and others.

parasar
02-22-2014, 04:29 PM

There are Mehris (Camel people) in Sindh region too. I'm not sure how related the Sindhi Mehri are to the Socotra ones though. I thought their origins are from the Arabian peninsula.

Humanist
07-15-2014, 11:29 PM
Mtdna: J2b1
Y-dna: J1

Do your Geno 2.0 results provide any further details regarding your J1 line?

Arbogan
07-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Do your Geno 2.0 results provide any further details regarding your J1 line?

Hello, sorry for the late response. Only that i have the mutation PF7263/PF7264 and that only 0.1% of the participants have it. That doesn't tell me that much other than i'm supposedly J1 possibly P56.