PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry about FTDNA family project

JLJD
11-12-2020, 11:05 AM
Hello,

I created my family Y-DNA project at FTDNA. I would like to present there only summarized Y-DNA results for each participant (e.g. R-Z284 or R-Z288) and to avoid revealing all tested SNPs and STRs to the public. I cannot find such settings on FTDNA project site - I can either hide all results altogether or list them all explicitly. If I hide all results that would be discouraging for potential testees and at the same time I cannot reveal all tested SNPs and STRs due to the privacy concerns of the testers. I would like to ask whether there is any way to make Y-DNA results visible in the abovementioned (summarized) fashion?

Wing Genealogist
11-12-2020, 12:27 PM
There are a couple of admin settings you can use to protect the privacy of the testers. For one, FTDNA does not identify the name of the tester on the project page (but does identify the name of the tester to DNA matches, but not the kit number). You can choose to have the results list the Most Distant Known Ancestor (MDKA) or you can choose not to have the ancestor information listed.

The SNP and STR results in and of themselves don't reveal all that much personal information, especially since they are not directly linked to the ID of the individual tested.

JLJD
11-12-2020, 02:31 PM
Thank you for the reply. Is there any way to put the Most Distant Known Ancestor on the list without displaying their full STR and SNP results, but only the general result (e.g. R-Z287)?

Wing Genealogist
11-13-2020, 02:21 PM
Thank you for the reply. Is there any way to put the Most Distant Known Ancestor on the list without displaying their full STR and SNP results, but only the general result (e.g. R-Z287)?

No.

Have you had any project members with concerns about their privacy, or is the privacy issue your own? You can always refer folks to FTDNA's online privacy statement (https://www.familytreedna.com/legal/privacy-statement)

There is always a bit of a trade-off between privacy and information. DNA testing is really useless without the ability to compare results between tests, but in order to perform this comparison, you really need to make your results available. As I stated, the project displays kit numbers, but no information on the testers identity, and matches receive the testers identity, but not the kit number (or even the results). While folks who are matches may possibly be able to identify their match in a public project, it isn't easy, and (depending on the project) may not be successful.

JLJD
11-14-2020, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. I understand there is always a bit of a trade-off between privacy and information. Because of that I want to make the results available to the public. Fortunately, there is a way - I learned about activating the results subsection where you can freely "customize" the results.