PDA

View Full Version : Y-Haplogroups and migration, using the example of I-L38>BY14026

losAntonis
11-12-2020, 07:04 PM
Just finished a new Blog Article, regarding the Migration from my subclade of I-L38 to Greece.
https://antoniosdnaproject.de/y-haplogroups-and-migration-using-the-example-of-i-l38by14026/

RP48
11-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Nice write up!

Aspar
11-13-2020, 01:05 AM
Congrats for the initiative and the effort you take to popularize the DNA testing for ancestry purposes.

I remember was looking your clade a while ago and I've noticed that Meglen Vlach speaker. Good to know now that he is from Notia, an islamized Vlach village. It's also interesting this connection between him and you as you come from different backgrounds.

Your haplogroup puzzles me a little bit. It does look as originally Germanic, I have no doubt about that. However there seem to be a major subclade downstream that looks as it has been Slavicized and assimilated into Slavs, a subclade you belong to as well. The Hungarian from Voivodina that is upstream might give a clue of where does this branch was assimilated by the Slavs, and that is the Carpathian Basin where different Germanic people such as Lombards, Gepids and others lived at one point. Funnily enough, there aren't only Southern Slavs in the Slavic branch but also Russians, Poles and others. I say funnily because this might give credence to Curta's work, The making of the Slavs, who argued that the ethnogenesis of the Slavs happened around the Carpathian Basin

losAntonis
11-13-2020, 10:41 AM
Thank you Aspar.
The man from Notia is not a Vlach, but Pomak, who moved to Turkey. His ancestor spoke Bulgarian, due to what the tester told me.
The one with the Meglen Vlach flag is my great grandfather and I don't know which village he is from.
My intention is to find someone to test, who split the Y125026 block. Twice a year the group gets exciting new testers.
In some years we will see a better picture.
I did test some people of Meglen. Most I2-Y3120, Y18331 and PH908, but two E-V13 (Y37) as well, apart from I-L38.

Exercitus
11-13-2020, 02:24 PM
A very interesting article indeed, although i think that it should be more emphasized the fact that when the carriers of I-Y125026 reached the south Balkans where actually slavic-speakers, in your case maybe from the Drougoubitai\Δραγοβῖται tribe !? I am aware of the western-central European origin of this haplogroup, a similar scenario can be observed even in the case of the pre I-Y3120 & pre I-CTS10228 (the downstreams of whom are almost exclusively correlated with the Slavic ethnos), but, sorry to affirm it again, when this people crossed the Danube river toward south, during the VI-VII centuries, where genuine Slavs !

Aspar
11-13-2020, 03:39 PM
Thank you Aspar.
The man from Notia is not a Vlach, but Pomak, who moved to Turkey. His ancestor spoke Bulgarian, due to what the tester told me.
The one with the Meglen Vlach flag is my great grandfather and I don't know which village he is from.
My intention is to find someone to test, who split the Y125026 block. Twice a year the group gets exciting new testers.
In some years we will see a better picture.
I did test some people of Meglen. Most I2-Y3120, Y18331 and PH908, but two E-V13 (Y37) as well, apart from I-L38.

It seems the Pomak situation is similar to my own. Notia was described by various sources as a Meglen Roman village that became Muslim. The village of my grandpa(Coinsko) was also described as Meglen Roman although already Bulgarized in the 19th century. Of course, in my family we always spoke the local Bulgarian dialect without any memories for any other origins although my grandpa identified as Macedonian as did his father as told by him who was born in 1900. So this made me to investigate about the Meglen Roman origin and the first step was to test myself so I can confirm this thesis about the Meglen Roman origin of the people of the village and surprisingly enough it did confirm to some degree that my closest relatives are Albanian and Macedonian Aromuns. Unfortunately no available studies for Meglen Roman people, however I plan to test some people with origin from those villages as some of my best friends also have origins from there.

I'm interested to compare my STR results with those two Meglen E-V13. Is there a possibility and are these people members of any projects? I would love to see how lose I'm to them.

J Man
11-13-2020, 04:41 PM
Have many Balkan Vlachs and Aromuns tested? I know that there have been a few academic papers about them but they give very limited information about the samples. I am curious about J2 clades among them.

losAntonis
11-13-2020, 05:34 PM
Aspar, where did you test?
If you did test at FTDNA you can join the Almopia- Meglen-Karacaova project
Both kits are in this project.

J Man
11-13-2020, 09:02 PM
Aspar, where did you test?
If you did test at FTDNA you can join the Almopia- Meglen-Karacaova project
Both kits are in this project.

Are all of the results in your project I2a and E-V13 types so far?

losAntonis
11-14-2020, 10:56 AM
Are all of the results in your project I2a and E-V13 types so far?

Yes, so far. Nearly all kits are relatives of mine. In addition to that, there are three more relatives, outside of FTDNA, at YFull tree, who are Y3120, also.